Laughing City
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

piperjay23 wrote:
They do have an exposure issue. They need a "break out."

The band and supporters are very grassroots and organic in their process. I don't think they need anymore of that approach. So I disagree with your list.

What they need is national recognition. Since radio is almost dead as a real medium for quality new music, they need something else.

A brilliant album would be a great start. Most of the pieces are there: Unique sound, lyric writing, vocals. However, they lack a punch in the gut presence (both live and recorded). They need a solid producer/partner to refine their sound, improve their musicianship and enbsemble and help tailor a finely crafted album.

I think they need a strong dose of outside professionalism. Perhaps WB didn't bring it, or perhaps the family network filtered it out. Either way, a strong kick in the pants could do wonders.

The point is...the exposure problem will be solved when they bring top notch content to the table. They can do it, but they need to take a very difficult next step. And it starts with what goes on in the studio. All the fan blogs in the world can't control that.

I agree with you. Their music is horrible, I think they should be beaten up by guys in expensive suits.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
piperjay23
Sea Post King

quote]
I agree with you. Their music is horrible, I think they should be beaten up by guys in expensive suits.[/quote]

Don't be an ass.

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

piperjay23 wrote:
nowhere man wrote:

I agree with you. Their music is horrible, I think they should be beaten up by guys in expensive suits.

Don't be an ass.

I won't if you won't. I resisted calling you an ass because that's not allowed by the way. Unlike you, I think they've already brought top notch content, so that's not the problem. I don't think medling by some outside source into their creative process is needed. If more people were exposed to their music they'd have more fans, that's just a fact. They would be more "successful" with better exposure, maybe not huge sellers but what can you do about some people's taste in music?

norad
Vintage Newbie

You realize that bands with crappy music get tons of exposure and get really famous, piperjay23? So having "top notch content" isn't really needed to get exposure and/or national recognition. Though, Eisley already have the amazing music so there is no need to put their music down. There is no need to change who they are either. Eisley are doing what they need to be doing. It's the other half that isn't doing their part to get Eisley where they deserve to be. Don't blame Eisley.
Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

patrock wrote:
You realize that bands with crappy music get tons of exposure and get really famous, piperjay23? So having "top notch content" isn't really needed to get exposure and/or national recognition. Though, Eisley already have the amazing music so there is no need to put their music down. There is no need to change who they are either. Eisley are doing what they need to be doing. It's the other half that isn't doing their part to get Eisley where they deserve to be. Don't blame Eisley.

Yes! Smile

alastica
Sea Post King

piperjay23 wrote:
They need a solid producer/partner to refine their sound, improve their musicianship and enbsemble and help tailor a finely crafted album.

I think they need a strong dose of outside professionalism. Perhaps WB didn't bring it, or perhaps the family network filtered it out. Either way, a strong kick in the pants could do wonders.

I'll definitely agree that a different producer for the next album would be good; honestly I thought some things about Combinations were a bit weak on the production side. Where's Nigel Godrich when you need him?! But if anything, I'd prefer the next album to have less "outside professionalism". I think Eisley are good enough at what they do Smile

Joined: 01 Apr 2006 | Posts: 314 | Location: Greetings From Michigan, The Great Lakes State!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Wow, I'm kind of glad I wasn't around to read that exchange up there ^ when it happened ...

I actually think the only thing their live act needs is some more consistency and some things like pro lighting and some stage management. Or whatever you might call it. They've greatly improved their presence, and honestly, I could still love the shows if they were still being a bit too still ...

As far as production goes, I think they have done a fine job on their own, as far as capturing their essence. But I think we are all being kind of unrealistic expecting them to have fully found themselves, though. They've only made 2 albums, and that doesn't necessarily mean they've had enough experience to get exactly what they need. Even Radiohead didn't nail it down until maybe OK Computer. At least, I don't think ...

Of course, if this goes on the Radiohead scale, Album No. 3 could be quite promising. Very Happy

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

The best thing that could happen to the next Eisley album is:

1. Better lyrics (I'm spoiled by Sufjan Stevens)
2. Rougher production (enough of the buttery smooth tracks, the old EPs felt awesome)
3. More varied song length and form (avoiding the 3 minute pop formula is great for mixing up an album)

While I don't want to get into an argument of the quality of the latest Eisley albums, piperjay is pretty much on the money about quality. If you make an amazing, unbelievable album, you are going to get noticed. It's pretty much the only way to get famous without having a third party convincing people your album is worth buying (that is, through advertisement).

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

alastica wrote:
Where's Nigel Godrich when you need him?!

I haven't liked his production the last few years - outside of In Rainbows.

his early stuff:

OKC/Kid A/some of The Bends
Travis - The Man Who
Beck - Mutations
Pavement - Terror Twilight

a lot of these people he worked with again, but those records seem more "cold" sorta. still good records no doubt, but there's just something. if i was bored i'd research who mastered all these and see if there was a connection.

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:

While I don't want to get into an argument of the quality of the latest Eisley albums, piperjay is pretty much on the money about quality. If you make an amazing, unbelievable album, you are going to get noticed. It's pretty much the only way to get famous without having a third party convincing people your album is worth buying (that is, through advertisement).

Nah I disagree with a quality album magically selling itself. There needs to be somekind of advertisement for people to even hear it in the first place to judge if it's amazing and unbeleivable. And amazing and unbelievable by whose standards? I feel Eisley already did this but you don't, see what I mean? Everyone has a different opinion on what good music is. I've never heard of Sufjan Stevens other than in your posts(Yes I'm old and lame but I don't think he's all that famous is he? This isn't sarcastic I'm not in the loop of such things.) does that mean he hasn't put out an amazing and unbelievable album? Obviously WB has done some promotion for Eisley otherwise I wouldn't even be here. They could do a little more. That's what this thread was about, getting more exposure for Eisley's music so that people who might like it, can hear it. It's not about slamming Eisley trying to get them to conform to some obscure idea of what someone else thinks is great. "Just make a great album and it'll sell itself, it's just that simple." kind of advice is unnecessary. I doubt they go into the studio trying to make a crummy album. Their music just may never be for the masses, that's probably what WB thinks anyway and it may be true.

kulvir
Laughing Citizen

My advice to Eisley for their next album is to not listen to people who have never made an album.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Nowhere Man wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

Nah I disagree with a quality album magically selling itself. There needs to be somekind of advertisement for people to even hear it in the first place to judge if it's amazing and unbeleivable. And amazing and unbelievable by whose standards? I feel Eisley already did this but you don't, see what I mean? Everyone has a different opinion on what good music is. I've never heard of Sufjan Stevens other than in your posts(Yes I'm old and lame but I don't think he's all that famous is he? This isn't sarcastic I'm not in the loop of such things.) does that mean he hasn't put out an amazing and unbelievable album? Obviously WB has done some promotion for Eisley otherwise I wouldn't even be here. They could do a little more. That's what this thread was about, getting more exposure for Eisley's music so that people who might like it, can hear it. It's not about slamming Eisley trying to get them to conform to some obscure idea of what someone else thinks is great. "Just make a great album and it'll sell itself, it's just that simple." kind of advice is unnecessary. I doubt they go into the studio trying to make a crummy album. Their music just may never be for the masses, that's probably what WB thinks anyway and it may be true.

I thought somebody might bring Sufjan Stevens up. I don't really have a good argument (because I can't find any sales figures), but I'm pretty sure The Avalanche sold more than Illinoise (it was on the Billboard 200 longer). Most of Sufjan's advertisement came in the wake of all the overwhelmingly positive reviews and articles. So, when The Avalanche came around, there were dozens of news articles and internet hype to give free advertising for it. That's the kind of advertising that Eisley could potentially receive from a success with the critics. It's certainly not as effective as manufacturing a successful album like record labels do (which seems extremely complicated and seemingly vague in a post-radio world), but it's about their chance without the WB's help. Grassroots campaigns seem to have a glass ceiling (see: Ron Paul). Also, Sufjan Stevens is on a label he co-owns with his father, so his profit yields per album are much higher than a band like Eisley.

kulvir wrote:
My advice to Eisley for their next album is to not listen to people who have never made an album.

Seriously, why are there so many people trolling honest discussion? Please leave the forum if you have nothing to contribute. If you can't take opinions other than yours, you are free to hit the back button on your browser. Eisley's worked with countless producers (people who've made lots of albums, as per your advice) so far, and they've all done a pretty crappy job of making them famous.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

kulvir wrote:

If they listen to you then they won't be taking your advice, but your advice is not to listen so they will be taking your advice but.. error.. error..
This works great for me. I want them to do whatever they want, I trust that they will do great and that I'll love it. If I don't like it I'm fine with that, I just won't buy it. These other guys are actually concerned with the future of Eisley, I'm not hehe. No but really it's pointless to give them advice, and just as pointless to think we can get WB to do more for them.

kulvir
Laughing Citizen

I'm not sure how my post was trolling. Everybody has a different opinion but I would put way more weight on advice given by an experienced musician who has made a good album and has established him or herself. You have the right to you opinion but how can Eisley judge how much credibility your advice has?
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

kulvir wrote:
I'm not sure how my post was trolling. Everybody has a different opinion but I would put way more weight on advice given by an experienced musician who has made a good album and has established him or herself. You have the right to you opinion but how can Eisley judge how much credibility your advice has?

They can't, but that's not really important. I'd say that this thread is simply for discussion's sake. If bands listened only to fans, they would release the most eclectic, awful album ever, Laughing

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>