34%
 34%  [ 37 ]
Democrat
42%
 42%  [ 46 ]
go ralph nader! (green)
10%
 10%  [ 11 ]
People can take care of themselves (libertarian)
12%
 12%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 107

swiss army romance
Golly, Poster

I don't think terrorists hate us because we are largly a Christian nation, or for our culture, they have other reasons other than these petty differences (read my last post).

My whole thing with the Iraq war is that I really do feel it wasn't the place we needed to be. Bush said it was "an imminent threat". There are other countries out there that are a bigger threat to us than Iraq ever was. Even if you look at the human rights aspect of the war, there are other countries out there with even more ruthless dictators. So why Iraq? Because it's an easy target. They had an army equivelant to the flintstones throwing rocks at us, what chance did they have?

You can't pick and choose war.

Joined: 26 Jul 2003 | Posts: 754 | Location: Good ole' Goshen, Oh-hi-Oh
ambientgecko
Lost at Forum

to say we picked Iraq cuz they're an easy target is very naive. I would post something more, but I have to go to work now, I'll add to this later.

"even on the drearest day
a loving hand won't turn away
God's greatest gift to man
how sweet is love"

http://www.myspace.com/ambientgecko

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Joined: 24 Dec 2003 | Posts: 1334 | Location: Fort Worth is my home... I'm at OU now though
Paranoid Android v2.0
Vintage Newbie

It's all a conspiracy, the Nazis used zombies and the Illuminati are poised for a takeover of the White House. Maybe it's all true...

This is MYSPACE
Gee, Blog
Joined: 29 Oct 2003 | Posts: 4250 | Location: Up here in Connecticut
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EisleyForever
Vintage Newbie

THE ILLUMINATI!

i learned about them from the Lara Croft Movie!

.... Embarassed

BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

swiss army romance wrote:
So why Iraq? Because it's an easy target. They had an army equivelant to the flintstones throwing rocks at us, what chance did they have?

haha and before that was afghanastan... they were even easier
swiss army romance
Golly, Poster

ambientgecko wrote:
to say we picked Iraq cuz they're an easy target is very naive. I would post something more, but I have to go to work now, I'll add to this later.

I'm afraid you need to be a bit more cynical of your government instead of blindly following and not questioning what they are doing. They were an easy target, why else would we go to war with a country that was neither the most dangerous to us, or the biggest humanitarian disaster.

Joined: 26 Jul 2003 | Posts: 754 | Location: Good ole' Goshen, Oh-hi-Oh
Florencia
Laughing Citizen

joseph wrote:
Florencia wrote:

I do feel strong about something, and that is War is just a horrible thing that should never happen. Specially not now. Here we are, in the 21th century, and still killing people to solve problems. Still "fighting a war on terrorism": by doing the same thing terrorist do, unjustly killing people. When are we going to develop as an international society? I mean, seriously, not trying to sound like Miss America, I believe in Diplomacy, and I do not support this war.

Florencia, would you die for that belief? Think on it.

Oh, when are we going to develop as an international society?

Don't be so naive. That won't happen, unless some genocide is enacted. The world is too diverse. Somebody will always hate somebody.

Why do terrorists hate Americans? Cause our culture and lifestyle threatens their way of life. They aren't willing to change, to adapt, as must all who live in this world.

I don't think America has good reason to be isolationist. Nor should they be. We've tried that before, and it didn't work(League of Nations, WWII, anyone?). We're connected deeply in world affairs. I agree that some things we have no business in, but we have a responsibility as a "world power."
A side note, I find it very hypocritical of terrorists(namely Al-Quaeda) that they use Western techniques and technologies to carry out their goals of eradicating the USA.

Ok, then maybe we should just stop arguing, cuz we are never gonna agree w/each other, because that is exactly my point, the US SHOULDN'T intervine in what isn't of the US business...and algo, I find it very hypocritical how some people say we need to go here or there because we have "a responsability as a world power" and then they say let's pull out of Iraq now so no more american soldiers get killed, because everything we do should be for out benefit, etc.
Besides, nobody is gonna make me believe that Bush decided to go there to "save the Iraqi people" because if that is what he is out to do, he would have gone to Rwanda instead, where a genocide is going on, but nobody sees that, nobody cares. And then he pretends to be the second FDR "being the arsenal of democracy" when we all now that's not the reason why he attacked.

An apt and true reply was given to Alexander the Great by a pirate who had been seized. For when that king had asked the man what he meant by keeping hostile possession of the sea, he answered with bold pride.
'What thou meanest by seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, whilst thou who dost it with a great fleet art styled emperor."
Noam Chomsky
Joined: 01 Jan 2004 | Posts: 1738 | Location: in this fake plastic world
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Florencia
Laughing Citizen

gRegor, your essay was not only VERY informative but also interesting to read and even funny...particularly my favorite part is this sarcastic moment: This author makes no claims about either case, but the suspicion it casts upon the "intelligence" and the case for war is obvious. It made me laugh really hard... Laughing
An apt and true reply was given to Alexander the Great by a pirate who had been seized. For when that king had asked the man what he meant by keeping hostile possession of the sea, he answered with bold pride.
'What thou meanest by seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, whilst thou who dost it with a great fleet art styled emperor."
Noam Chomsky
Joined: 01 Jan 2004 | Posts: 1738 | Location: in this fake plastic world
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ambientgecko
Lost at Forum

swiss army romance wrote:

I'm afraid you need to be a bit more cynical of your government instead of blindly following and not questioning what they are doing. They were an easy target, why else would we go to war with a country that was neither the most dangerous to us, or the biggest humanitarian disaster.

I don't follow the flock when it comes to politics. At the same time, I don't watch the major networks and make decisions based on their opinions of what's going on. I don't think it's a tough idea to believe that Bush might actually have had good moral intentions about helping Iraq. It seems as though depending upon what side you favor, you can never ever believe the other side can do anything right. I think you should be more open to the fact that the Bush administration may be doing something right. I'll admit he's not perfect and he's done some dumb stuff. I'll admit that Democrats make some really good points, but I don't agree with this whole let's attack the president business. What would you do if you were in his position?

how sweet is love"

Joined: 24 Dec 2003 | Posts: 1334 | Location: Fort Worth is my home... I'm at OU now though
manchilds
Lost at Forum

I love this thread. I really do
ambientgecko
Lost at Forum

me too, it's my favorite thread to comment on as you can tell.

how sweet is love"

Ecouter
Vintage Newbie

ambientgecko wrote:
me too, it's my favorite thread to comment on as you can tell.

the thread appreciates it more than it can tell.

manchilds
Lost at Forum

in the past in threads like this I would be the only one who wasn't against the war. its nice to have people who agree with me. whenever I see a point that I want to take up you already do....in a very wordy fasion.
joseph
Lost at Forum

gRegor wrote:
I disagree.. there isn't much to support this. I believe Osama bin Laden even claimed his reasoning involved the Gulf War and other US intrusions around the world.

I'm thinking more generally, why are most Muslims apprehensive to Western culture. I'm going for the genesis of this hate for Western Culture.

gRegor wrote:

Then you'll have to get our Constitution changed. Because our Constitution doesn't say America has the right to run the world or invade whoever they please (even for noble reasons).

The Constitution is a limit on the powers of the federal government, not a blank check.

I'll get back to you on that one.

**the turtle stamp of approval**

www.soulstrum.com
ambientgecko
Lost at Forum

you have to look at the religious implications in order to understand fully why they hate us, it's impossible to ignore it.

how sweet is love"

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>