34%
 34%  [ 37 ]
Democrat
42%
 42%  [ 46 ]
go ralph nader! (green)
10%
 10%  [ 11 ]
People can take care of themselves (libertarian)
12%
 12%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 107

ambientgecko
Lost at Forum

Paranoid Android v2.0 wrote:
Quote:
If we think a little bit here... I said I dispised imperialism, obviously then...I didn't like Nazzi Germany's actions...

And I think I already said I think that was the ONLY justifiable war...EVER...PERIOD

If you like theories on Nazi Occultism, like I do, then World War II really was the only conflict with what I would call real evil. Twisted Evil

I'm pretty sure there have been some other wars that are justifiable, I doubt most of the "anti-war" debaters now were that upset when Clinton sent us to Bosnia b/c of ethnic cleansing, or when he bombed an aspirin factory in Iraq. I'm not saying anyone on this forum is guilty of it, but it really frustrates me when people decide to what to like or dislike based solely on part lines even if it contradicts what they believe.

I love all of you guys.

We should form a new party right here on this forum, something we can all agree on, if that's possible.

"even on the drearest day
a loving hand won't turn away
God's greatest gift to man
how sweet is love"

http://www.myspace.com/ambientgecko

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Joined: 24 Dec 2003 | Posts: 1334 | Location: Fort Worth is my home... I'm at OU now though
ambientgecko
Lost at Forum

I just found a few really interesting articles you guys might enjoy reading, feel free to pick them apart or applaud them:

President Reagan said, "I did not leave the Democratic Party, the Democratic Party left me," when explaining why he became a Republican. Reagan’s values were incongruent with Democrats of the 1980’s. However, many readers may be surprised at how many of the best principles that guided the Democratic Party of the past find their home in Republican values of today.

Consider the following quotes:

"One man with courage makes a majority." - Andrew Jackson

Could you imagine John Kerry, a man who has vowed to never go to war without the approval of the United Nations, making such a statement? George W. Bush would be very comfortable with such rhetoric. President Bush’s willingness to act unilaterally, if necessary, has garnered him the criticism of Democrats like Kerry.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." - Franklin Roosevelt

To win election, Kerry must cause voters to fear for the economy and the war. President Bush urges Americans to have courage to win the War on Terror, and to have faith in American capitalism and initiative.

"The buck stops here." - Harry Truman

Kerry; "I actually did vote for the $87 billion, before I voted against it." Like it or not, President Bush does what he says he will do.

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty."--John F. Kennedy, Inaugural Address

This sentiment is the heart of the "Bush Doctrine." Our President has vowed to hunt down terrorists, undermine nations that support terrorism and foster Democracy in totalitarian nations. John Kerry sees little value in democracy.

In 1971, before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Kerry said, "I think that politically, historically, the one thing that people try to do, that society is structured on as a whole, is an attempt to satisfy their felt needs, and you can satisfy those needs with almost any kind of political structure, giving it one name or the other. In this name it is democratic; in others it is communism; in others it is benevolent dictatorship. As long as those needs are satisfied, that structure will exist." And April 14, 2004, "I have always said from day one that the goal here . . . is a stable Iraq, not whether or not that's a full democracy. I can't tell you what it's going to be, but a stable Iraq. And that stability can take several different forms." - (LA Times)

The Democratic Party has changed since the time of Jackson, Roosevelt, Truman and even JFK, but shouldn’t a Democrat at least believe in Democracy? Even Bill Clinton, a man deserving of no respect or credit, realized the value of our system of governance, "From our birth, America has always been more than just a place. America has embodied an idea that has become the ideal for billions of people throughout the world. Our founders said it best: America is about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." (1995 speech on Bosnia)

An American President should acknowledge the value of our system, given that America is the most free and prosperous nation on earth. To imply that it is no better than totalitarianism, communism, fascism or monarchy is incongruent with the philosophy and spirit of America. Would Kerry have made the sacrifices necessary to break from England and win our independence? Would he have fought Hitler or engaged in the Cold War? His statements lead me to believe otherwise.

A final quote:

"It is in the interest of both parties not to give a chance to those who shed the blood of nations for their limited personal interest and obedience to the gang of the White House...This war earns millions of dollars for big companies, whether those who manufacture weapons or those involved in reconstruction, such as Halliburton and its sisters and daughters. . . . Rational people do not risk their security, money and sons to appease the White House liar."

Who said that - was it Sen. Kerry or another Democrat? No, it was Osama bin Laden. It is odd that Sen. Kerry’s statements and sentiments are more closely in line with America’s enemies than with the great Democratic leaders of the past. However, I am not questioning Kerry’s patriotism, only his judgment.

Thanks to James Taranto’s "Wall Street Journal Best Of The Web" for providing inspiration and resource.

Judson Cox

Chief Contributor out of North Carolina

how sweet is love"

Joined: 24 Dec 2003 | Posts: 1334 | Location: Fort Worth is my home... I'm at OU now though
ambientgecko
Lost at Forum

By now the 9/11 commission has made every sane person physically ill. Established as a non-partisan body to investigate the intelligence failures leading up to 9/11, it has quickly deteriorated into a partisan finger-pointing debacle. Osama must be laughing, provided he gets C-SPAN in his desert cave. It is a formidable enemy indeed that can train and attack on American soil, but the more dreaded enemy is one that can make us blame ourselves for his murders.

Whatever happened to American resolve? No official interrogated by that panel of self-righteous hindsighters ever flew planes into buildings. So why must we start up a nationwide guilt complex? The commission is spending taxpayer money and an overwhelming amount of time to try to determine why we didn’t prevent the attacks of that dreadful day.

That may take them a while. Let’s cut to the chase. I’ll tell you why not.

• Because we refused to take Bin Laden when he was offered to us repeatedly. Remember that? Clinton had the chance to take Bin Laden, but refused. He was too busy trying to explain to a grand jury exactly why oral sex is not actually sex. Even if Clinton had taken Bin Laden, under then-current laws he couldn’t be held as an enemy combatant like the enemy combatant he was. Why not? Because we didn’t have the Patriot Act.

• Because, even had we taken Bin Laden, according to 1995 guidelines, the different branches of our intelligence services couldn’t so much as talk to one another, let alone “connect the dots” to stop a terrorist plot against us.

Yes, that’s right. There was “a wall of separation” established between the CIA and FBI. Obviously international terrorists shouldn’t be investigated while stateside, say, attending flight school. Why should the intelligence branches communicate? We might actually—GASP!—catch someone! Why couldn’t they talk to each other? Because…we didn’t have the Patriot Act.

• Because we weren’t allowed to search young Arab males travelling alone and without luggage for fear of racial profiling charges

Despite hysterical whining from the ACLU about violations of civil liberties to the contrary, questioning individuals based on identifying characteristics that they share with the suspect is good police procedure, not a police-state deviation suggestive of the establishment of a Big Brother-esque Bushitler regime. If a known murderer is tall, slim, has dark hair and a limp, do police officers stop short white-haired grandmothers on the street in order to find him? Is it infringing upon anyone’s civil liberties to stop men on the street fitting that description to ask them a few questions? Is that discriminating against tall men with a limp? Hardly. That’s just common sense.

As with murder suspects, so with terrorists. If every terrorist hijacker in the last five years has been, say, a young Arab male travelling alone and without luggage, then any good analyst would be able to predict that the next one will most likely be—surprise!—a young Arab male travelling alone and without luggage. Why not expend our efforts where they can be most useful? Rather than searching twelve-year-old girls travelling with parents in tow, why don’t we search, say, young Arab males travelling alone and without luggage? Especially when they have, say, known terrorist connections? So the Department of Homeland Security tries to create programs such as CAPPS I & II, which make it evident to baggage screeners and airport employees which passengers are, say, related to Mohammed Atta, and all we hear is whining from the NAMBLA-supporting nutcases at institutions like “Society for the Preservation of the American Freedom to Carry Box-cutters onto Commercial Aircraft.”

But we couldn’t do any of this prior to 9/11 because…you guessed it…no Patriot Act!

The 9/11 commission can go hang its finger-pointing blame games until we decide to hold people responsible for their own misdeeds. Let’s set the record straight—Atta & Co. flew the planes, so Atta & Co. should be held responsible. Atta & Co. got away with it because we couldn’t stop them. Why couldn’t we stop them? (Hint: It has something to do with the Patriot Act)

The commission should stop obsessing about what Bush knew and when he knew it. Let’s make sure it never happens again. How? Cut out the guilt complex, fire the commission, and renew the Patriot Act. Stop liberal whiners from obstructing our attempts to bring justice to the terrorists, or at very least to stop them from boarding our aircraft. Install CAPPS I, followed closely by CAPPS II. Pursue the War on Terror with increased urgency. Level Fallujah to the ground and plow salt into the sand Carthage-style. Teach Kerry’s all-important “international community” a lesson about messing with America. And remind both of the departing Spanish troops that, should they be so inclined, we have a blue-ribbon commission looking for work.

Amy Gordon
Chief Contributor out of Connecticut

how sweet is love"

Eis_Fan
Vintage Newbie

i did not read all of that...i just skimmed it...nice though Wink
ambientgecko
Lost at Forum

it's a lot, but it has some really good stuff.

how sweet is love"

Paranoid Android v2.0
Vintage Newbie

Quote:

How does a president show such enormous courage by signing a few papers and ordering thousands of others to go do his dirty work. No, Bush did not show us how brave he was by sending our troops into Iraq. It is easy to be "courageous" when you are sitting in an office thousands of miles away. And even if the country was attacked, the president would be scooted away safely to some hidden bunker. Yeah, that shows that he has courage Rolling Eyes .

Andrew Jackson actually fought. He was a warrior in days when people still killed other people in a more honorable form of warfare. When you actually saw your enemy, not shot a rocket at him from a warship way off the coast. Jackson is allowed to make such a statement, because he was right there with the "common man who bleeds on the battlefield". Bush is not.

This is MYSPACE
Gee, Blog
Joined: 29 Oct 2003 | Posts: 4250 | Location: Up here in Connecticut
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ambientgecko
Lost at Forum

Quote:

How does a president show such enormous courage by signing a few papers and ordering thousands of others to go do his dirty work. No, Bush did not show us how brave he was by sending our troops into Iraq. It is easy to be "courageous" when you are sitting in an office thousands of miles away. And even if the country was attacked, the president would be scooted away safely to some hidden bunker. Yeah, that shows that he has courage Rolling Eyes .

Andrew Jackson actually fought. He was a warrior in days when people still killed other people in a more honorable form of warfare. When you actually saw your enemy, not shot a rocket at him from a warship way off the coast. Jackson is allowed to make such a statement, because he was right there with the "common man who bleeds on the battlefield". Bush is not.

Bush is risked his life going to Iraq just to support the troops. He has more stress than any of us can imagine, b/c I'm sure he feels that every life lost is partially due to his decision for war. It takes courage to have all the emotional weight he has and still stay true to what you believe. Yes he is thousands of miles away, but he's very much involved in the fighting and I'm sure he'd go back if the security measures were tight. I don't think he's sitting in his office having a good ol' time with no worries in the world. There's more to courage than physically fighting. But I agree Jackson was a courageous man.

how sweet is love"

BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

umm... once again the reason that bush isn't out there fighting like andrew jackson did is because times have changed. we need a leader to command our forces.

also it's not his only job to command the army he has us to worry about as well.
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

I kind of want to print all this out and give it to my History teacher.

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire
Eis_Fan
Vintage Newbie

hisownshot wrote:
I kind of want to print all this out and give it to my History teacher.

dude...that was my idea...i'm like printing out the tenth page already..no really i'm not Wink

AirWeaver
Sea Post King

It is easy to be "courageous" when you are sitting in an office thousands of miles away. And even if the country was attacked, the president would be scooted away safely to some hidden bunker. Yeah, that shows that he has courage :roll: .

okay, i gotta flag this one for illogicality. sorry.

if we think our president is dumb for mis-pronouncing words... how completely moronic would he be to leave his resposibilities and go suit up and assume the country would run without him? we can't have both a president who "deals with the problems we have here" AND one that is a "common man who bleeds on the battlefield". They sorta conflict. You either have to pick one, or go with a compromise: someone who is personally involved as much as possible, and has trusted advisors running most of the affairs. (which is what we have)

most points on both sides have been somewhat valid, but this one is not. sorry.

http://www.leviweaver.com
Joined: 06 Jan 2004 | Posts: 465 | Location: Nashville, TN / Birmingham, England
AirWeaver
Sea Post King

Florencia wrote:

JEEZ!! Does ANY republican believe in the sovereigny of independent countries? OMG...I wish everybody remembered what a great president Washington was...and how he ALWAYS advocated isolationism, or as I would say "minding-you-own-business-and-not-going-into-other-countries-to-coloni ze-ism"

Yeah, early americans didn't invade ANYone's countries... we stayed to ourselves...

*slaps forehead*

There's a people group you should meet. They are known by a lot of names, but you probably know them as "indians" "native americans" "first people" ... or so on.

isolationism, indeed.

i'm not saying it was right, i'm just saying i think you are wrong. :)

(are we in the safety bubble? here? no? i'm sorry, i shouldn't have... i thought we were in the safety bubble...*looks around confusedly*)

Joined: 06 Jan 2004 | Posts: 465 | Location: Nashville, TN / Birmingham, England
Paranoid Android v2.0
Vintage Newbie

Quote:
okay, i gotta flag this one for illogicality. sorry.

if we think our president is dumb for mis-pronouncing words... how completely moronic would he be to leave his resposibilities and go suit up and assume the country would run without him? we can't have both a president who "deals with the problems we have here" AND one that is a "common man who bleeds on the battlefield". They sorta conflict. You either have to pick one, or go with a compromise: someone who is personally involved as much as possible, and has trusted advisors running most of the affairs. (which is what we have)

most points on both sides have been somewhat valid, but this one is not. sorry.

Of course it's illogical. That wasn't my point; that Bush should grab an M16 and start shooting Iraqis. What I meant was that the president shouldn't be projecting around quotes on why he is such a hero and so courageous. I don't think he is really doing much to warrant that.

This is MYSPACE
Gee, Blog
Joined: 29 Oct 2003 | Posts: 4250 | Location: Up here in Connecticut
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AirWeaver
Sea Post King

*nods* okay...

i still probably disagree with you about bush overall, but your clarification made sense. *agreed*

swiss army romance
Golly, Poster

I think I'm going to officially retire from this thread, but I'll continue reading it to check for blatant lies and such. I would like to say that I appreciate you all talking these things out, I'm sure some people who were less informed got a lot out of it.

Keep on truckin'

Joined: 26 Jul 2003 | Posts: 754 | Location: Good ole' Goshen, Oh-hi-Oh

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>