20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
1997 - current
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 24

markr
Lost at Forum

i think 1966 was the most incredible year ever in popular music the works treleased that year set so many standards for records to come so ie revolver, pet sounds, are you expierienced, forever changes , aftermath, the doors, blonde on blonde,face to face what a year
robert h.
Sea Post King

I haven't posted here in a while, but, um, hello.

My favourite era of music is probably the 80's (which I'm going to define as 1976 - 1992, as that's when the "sound" of the 1980's began, and ended).

However, I too think it's wrong to list only the popular bands of today, and only the good ones of yesterday. No, Jimi Hendrix, David Bowie, The Ramones, The Cure, The Smiths, The Pixies, and Depeche Mode were not popular! They all had relative pop hits, and dedicated cult followings, but they were never "popular" (and the same could be said for a lot of other bands you might not think of as "mainstream", like, for instance, At The Drive-In, or more recently, the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs).

As for the 1960's - 1990's bands you listed, there were also artists of equal quality (or lack of quality) to Britney Spears, and The Backstreet Boys, and today there are relatively popular bands of equal quality to New-Order, and Nirvana (perhaps a little band known as Radiohead might ring a bell?).

Moreover, you ignored the 1950s, 1940s, 1930s, and 1920s. Ignoring the years before that makes some sense to me, but music as we now it today really began in the 1920s and 1930's, and more directly, in the 1940s and 1950s. Yet, those years are completely missing, which I feel is just, well, stupid.

Anywho, I'm bitching again, so I'll stop now. Sorry. And, um, yeah, bye. 1980's forever! Or something.
ali
since 1979

markr wrote:
i think 1966 was the most incredible year ever in popular music the works treleased that year set so many standards for records to come so ie revolver, pet sounds, are you expierienced, forever changes , aftermath, the doors, blonde on blonde,face to face what a year

that's too much for one year! how did the ol' 66ers handle it?

swiss army romance
Golly, Poster

I'd have to go with 80's thrash (Metallica, Megadeth), and the more recent stuff that isn't necessarily on the list (Dashboard, Coldplay, etc.)

Joined: 26 Jul 2003 | Posts: 754 | Location: Good ole' Goshen, Oh-hi-Oh
Florencia
Laughing Citizen

I'd have to go with both the 70s and 1990-1997 UK
An apt and true reply was given to Alexander the Great by a pirate who had been seized. For when that king had asked the man what he meant by keeping hostile possession of the sea, he answered with bold pride.
'What thou meanest by seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, whilst thou who dost it with a great fleet art styled emperor."
Noam Chomsky
Joined: 01 Jan 2004 | Posts: 1738 | Location: in this fake plastic world
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
nihilo_sanctum_estne
Sea Post King

baroque chamber music... its divine.
this poll kinda annoys me because music has a history that is 1000s of years old, but we were only allowed to vote for a handful of movements from the 20th century.

lovealways, kyle

And love all you have left like your boy used to be
Long ago wrapped in sheets warm and wet"
--neutral milk hotel
Florencia
Laughing Citizen

Well, it doesn't mean the vote options are every music movement...it's just the ones that the author of the poll chose...maybe because they are the most contemporanous ones... Very Happy
An apt and true reply was given to Alexander the Great by a pirate who had been seized. For when that king had asked the man what he meant by keeping hostile possession of the sea, he answered with bold pride.
'What thou meanest by seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, whilst thou who dost it with a great fleet art styled emperor."
Noam Chomsky
Joined: 01 Jan 2004 | Posts: 1738 | Location: in this fake plastic world
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

i think the best times for American radio were the 60's and then the 90's grunge era........it's still hard for me to believe that the same station that played Madonna and Boyz II Men would play Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins and Stone Temple Pilots........that's just insane to think about anything remotely like that happening now ( and no i don't mean those bands in particular, but those 'types' of bands)
theenvycorps
Vintage Newbie

definitely friggin grunge....the clothes sealed the deal
markr
Lost at Forum

now as for movements could one call the elephant 6 collective a movement of sorts?
vmiprestrain
Sea Post King

i'd personally go for the late 80's to early 90's Norwegian black metal movement. Because Emperor was insane and there have never quite been bands like Mayhem, Darkthrone, and Enslaved.
Joined: 05 Nov 2002 | Posts: 434 | Location: Bridgewater, VA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
markr
Lost at Forum

vmiprestrain wrote:
i'd personally go for the late 80's to early 90's Norwegian black metal movement. Because Emperor was insane and there have never quite been bands like Mayhem, Darkthrone, and Enslaved.
So are the bands like Him and The Gathering an offshoot of that?