Laughing City
The auditor
Sea Post King

Moss Eisley: do not take this essay too seriously. it's merely a suggestion. I am just trying to help. Please respond with your thoughts and comments. I won't be offended. Just try to keep an open mind

I think that Moss Eisley needs to record their songs in straight analog, with no digital toys being used. I've heard the EP. The perforance is stellar, and the mix is ummmm pretty could(it could be better). But the instruments should too strident for their style. Analog would make it sound much more warm and elegant.

For example. listen to keyboards. This is where the digital antichrist is most apparent. I'm pretty sure she is using an older analog electric keyboard, sounds like a late seventies model(which I love by the way, never sell it or trade it in, if it breaks down, search pawn shops and find another one. You also need a melotron, they are annoying but you get the best sound at of them) Here's the rub. The protools does not do these fine instruments justice. It should be warm and delicate, instead it's harsh and cold, typical of protools.
Plus I think some noise-reduction was used on the masters as well. if you listen to the fade in and out of the instruments, especially the keyboard, and the lower-pitch vocals, if you have a good ear you'll hear a slight spriraling noise, this is the evidence of some sort of no noise technique.

I was impressed with the vocals. The engineer did a pretty good job. The harmonies are very precise. Obviously, great mics were used.
The bass is a bit spotty, not enough low and high end frequencies, it's just cut down the middle, also typical pro-tools.
The guitars have no thrust. They peak and clip. If they were recorded on tape, they would be warm and rich sounded. The distortion would not be abrasive to the ears. The clean guitars would not have so much treble.
Also, make sure your pedals are analog. Aviod anything by "digitech". I like BOSS pedals myself. They are warm, DOD and digitech are kind of harsh. The only digital pedal I use is delay. Analog delay is near impossible to do live, and is far too many headaches.
The tom drums also could use more depth. They have enough high but they cut off a bit too early. The hi-hat, snare and cymbals sound pretty good. I really like the snare that Weston is using. it has a real nice "crack" too it.

Here is why noise reduction is inferior. Right now you are sitting in a room somewhere. stop and listen for a moment. Notice the noise that is around you, the humming of the air conditioner, maybe the wind rustling the trees or blowing against the window. Now imagine yourself in dead silence. You would go insane. I will admit that I use a small amount of noise reduction on my remasters(I enjoy remastering old recordings in my home studio to preserve a nice analog sound on CD, that's my hobby, and that's why I love talking about it.) if the hiss overpowers the overall sound, but I will never sacrifice the sweet, warm, tone of the instrument to reduce noise. People who do that should be drawn and quartered.

I have worked with you on a project you recorded at Collin County Comunity College a year or so ago. They have analog capabilities. I have used them before and they are outstanding. The one thing that a few of us were talking about was how much better the recording would have sounded if it would have been recorded with those devices. The recordings that were made there are somewhat better, but they have many of the same problems. The guitars sound better than on the new recordings, but the quality of the vocals is weaking. The keyboards are still cold, and the bass is a little bit better, but not much.

My main beef with the sound quality of the EP is that it's not representing this gorgeous music faithfully. it would be very nice to hear these songs with the warm, rich sound of the tape and vinyl, opposed to the harsh, cold, and strident sound of pro-tools. Moss members: if you heard yourselves in analog it would blow your minds.
Overall, like the EP. I love the arrangements as well as the mix. It's just not what it could be.
Jeff
Sea Post King

hmmmm.
you are a very long-winded person.
I don't think Moss Eisley is in that stage in their career when they need to be worrying about such things.
The EP is an excellent, excellent demo. and that's mainly what it is, a demo.

does analog sound better than digital, yes
do records sound better than CD's-usually

But let's not go pointing out every little problem with the recording. You obviously know what you're talking about and you have some godd points. Sure, the EP has a few problems but big deal. The music still comes off well.
When they get into a stable record deal it might be best to record in analog, but let's put things in perspective. Analog is very expensive if you want it done right. why should they spend their money on a hi-fi recording when they could use it for more beneficial uses like promotion. They have a great demo and its accomplishing what it needs to accomplish.

take it easy man,
Jeff

Buford Mills
Sea Post King

amen jeff.
Sherri
Sea Post King

hi there,
not be be offensive or anything because i'm not offended...i agree a lot with everything you said, auditor, but the ep was a no budget deal...it was friends who recorded all of it for us and it was all from seperate places and different time eras..all we had to work with was what people had to record us on and we're so thankful for everyone that volenteered their time to help us do it. we wouldn't have it without them.

My dumb photos for fun.
http://flickr.com/photos/photostoshare1/
A bit of the art...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sherrisink/
Older art...
http://img23.photobucket.com/albums/v68/slitgizzard/ArtWork/
FakePlasticPerson
Sea Post King

Yay for people and their recording equipment!
I'm so glad I have the EP, it makes me a happy boy inside.

Andrew
Lost at Forum

Woah cool it so much to say it was nice but well I enjoy the ep I have but I can go and see them live weekly. Not having a budget is fun each day comes and goes without knowing whats going to happen. woo.

Ramblings of a mad man by:Andrew Mattis
Joined: 05 Nov 2002 | Posts: 1479 | Location: Dallas, Texas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jonathan Clark
Sea Post King

All that stuff is why Nigel Godrich's were invented.
The day it single with half is done. Today I questioned all never. I have two way to choose: To be forever to crush and miss of with relief compensating single close to the failure memory, or cynicism. No the exit. I do not want either or one. Do fact any life does it come here, or it is only myself? A choice between torturing or the very grotesque escape.

-Josey Price

comrade
markymark106
Golly, Poster

I think the EP sounds great. Stop hatin. This is an EP.
Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

Just my thoughts...good comments and observations from The Auditor.
No offense taken.
Some of the first songs on that ep were recorded at PanHandle House Studio in Denton, TX, when Stacy was 10, Weston was 13, Sherri was 16, Chauntelle was 18. It was a three day session that was paid for by bartar work.
Some of the other recordings were done in people's closets, bathrooms, and other strange places trying to get a decent sound.
Most all of these recordings, (except the one's done at CCCC that I am not sure if any of those are on the cd), were not exactly done for free.
Dear old dad traded out artwork for the recordings.
The recordings, (as humble as they may be), have served MossEisley well.
We are very thankful to all of you that put your time into those, bought the EP, and have shown great love for MossEisley.
The comments from the Auditor were great comments, and observations.
We're all looking forward to the next recording!
Wink