Laughing City
Bartman
Golly, Poster

Quote:
from the newpaper article...
Also, they're from Tyler. Don't think that needs much explanation.

What's that supposed to mean?

Oh, and Hi MarkyMark! Long time no see. Didn't know you posted here.
Very Happy

Moss Eisley identifies themselves as a "Christian" band. But what I'd like to know is what's christian about it?. In all there songs there is not one reference to Jesus Christ.
Why don't they just save themselves a lot of trouble and go all out secular.
labels frown on Christian bands because they have such a bad reputation
 |  | 
kris
Ubernerd Moderator

wouldn't that be like peter denying Jesus?

ok, maybe not that severe.

Jonathan
Sea Post King

first of all, we don't really identify our band as a Christian band. but we are all Christians. and just because we use a different language then that of the average Christian street corner-evangelist, doesn't mean the thoughts and ideas behind our music aren't Godly or right-minded. we try to talk in a way that everyone can relate to. we are constantly trying to develope a new way to communicate our ideas about things as old as creation. art. its what comes natural to us anyways. you ask what is Christian about our songs, just because you don't hear us mention Jesus' name? that explains alot about your understanding of true Christianity.
secondly, I don't think we are going through alot of trouble with any labels. we are not out to please them in the first place. wherever we go, its where God has led us because we have stayed in His will. It is His doing and His will for us to go wherever we may go. whether that be to churches, or to bars, or to stadiums. we are only concentrating on His will, and living in humility.
i hope i have chosen the right words... cheers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kris
Ubernerd Moderator

*applauds*
Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

This is long, but worthy of reading....

"Guest wrote"
Quote:
Moss Eisley identifies themselves as a "Christian" band. But what I'd like to know is what's christian about it?. In all there songs there is not one reference to Jesus Christ.
Why don't they just save themselves a lot of trouble and go all out secular.
labels frown on Christian bands because they have such a bad reputation

When a Christian plumber goes out and plumbs, does he plumb for Jesus? As he is fixing broken pipes, is he required to shout out the name of Jesus to the people that have asked him for his services? (God may have him there for that purpose, but he may just be there to use his skill to fix someone's broken pipes.
When a Christian lawyer goes into a courtroom, does he preach Jesus as he is defending his client, or does he carry Christ in him, and his life should be reflecting that?
When my Christian husband goes to his job everyday, and pours out his creative art skills on logos, brochures, and ads, is he required to put Jesus into all of his artwork? Like somehow squeeze in a picture of Jesus on the cross, or something?

BUT, if Christian musicians, who are created by, and inspired by God to do really good music, and in their hearts they know that nothing good comes from themselves, and give glory to Him in their daily walk and life for all He has done in and through them. If they go about their everday life, working out their own salvation through fear and trembling, (as the Bible commands), loving people around them, and being obedient to share their faith, if the opportunity arises. Why are they required to use their talent to "cast the net" over their audience, and preach to them?
Here is a recent email from someone that was at one of MossEisley's "not mentioning Jesus Christ in any of their songs" show:
"Okay, I was at the MossEisley show last night at Gypsy Tea Room and I have to tell you that it was amazing! You girls have the most angelic voices- thank you so much for sharing your talent!

I read about ya'll briefly in the Origin magazine while I was sitting up at Mardel one day. So from what I gather are ya'll a Christian band? Even if your label is not "Christian" I have to tell you that the Holy Spirit floes right out of your music when ya'll play. When I was at your show last night I was just wishing that I could be in a place to worship the Lord. I wanted to encourage you girls, and boys, to never lose heart and play unto the Lord. I believe with my whole heart that God has blessed your family with a talent to really lead broken people to His heart through your music.

Thank You again for sharing your amazing gift. God Bless each one of you!
-Lisa"

Hmmn? How could that happen if MossEisley didn't preach from the stage? Because the Holy Spirit is the one who draws men's hearts, and because God breathes on what He has created. Why are the rules so strange for musicians? It's all God's anyway.
johnnyactionfinger
Sea Post King

WORD.

Go Kim go.

-randyman
Andrew
Lost at Forum

FO SHO!!!
Joined: 05 Nov 2002 | Posts: 1479 | Location: Dallas, Texas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
kris
Ubernerd Moderator

AMEN!!
spheric1
Sea Post King

Quote:
most "Christian" bands are horrible musically.

Most of the big "christian" bands, but there are a bunch of bands out there that are really good--they just get ignored by the "christian industry" (and by many christians), bands like P.O.D. and Sixpence.

Quote:
Seriously, compared with "Secular", many "Christian" bands just couldn't cut it if they were in the same market.

Yeah, but the "christians" don't have nearly the same amount of money going into production...

Yeah, there are plenty of christians trying to pass off mediocre art, but I kinda hate to hear this generalization, when there are artist out there who are real good and working hard but still getting ignored.

I know of one rock band currently in the "christian" market, who had a major secular label offer to buy out their contract from their "christian" label, and the "christian" label refused to do it. So, I rant against the machine (or something).

"Whoso knoweth himself well, is lowly in his own sight and
delighteth not in the praises of men." Thomas A' Kempis
Sea Post King

Oh, while we're on the subject, I want to make it known that I already declared "christian music" dead recently.

Sea Post King

Quote:
when someone says a "christian" band dosent sound "christian"

Here's my point: what the heck does christian sound like? I mean you have to know that in order to say that something doesn't sound like it right? But that what's wrong, "christian music" does have a sound (or maybe a couple). It's like gospel music--it's a genre, and the same thing is happening to "christian" music. It didn't start out that way but that were it's headed. And the "sound" is for the most part just a conserative copy of pop radio with a lot of head in the clouds jesus makes happy blah, blah.

I kinda feel bad for the rock/alternative (etc.) bands that are in "christian" music, because I think it's just gonna keep getting harder to get any recognition and respect.

*rant, rant, rant* O.K. I'll shut up now.

Sea Post King

I guess it's about time I got in on this. I think I had this conversation with Boyd awhile back. I don't believe in Christian music. It's pretty simple really. If Moss Eisley is a Christian band, then that makes Radiohead what? A sociological band? Coldplay is a relationship band, I guess. If that was how bands were labeled that would be fine, but all music needs to be generalized according to the same standard. You can go by the words or by the music. Since it is expected that they are talking about the music (people do say rock(or whatever) music, after all), the lyrical content and artistic intent is a different conversation.
What happens then, is we get Christian radio stations (I won't mention any names (mainly because I can't think of it)) that play Christian music with no regard to what the style of music is. So you get the Christian Snoop Dogg, followed by the Christian Elton John, followed by the Christian Radiohead, followed by the Christian Aerosmith. That's more than enough to make me hate Christian music.
Originally "Christian" music that wasn't church music was rationalized by considering it an alternative to secular music; secular music, of course, being straight from hell. "So, for kids who like this particular secular band, we have created a healthy alternative that we're sure they will enjoy just as much." Thus Christian Music became known for being ripoffs of other bands. Fairly recently someone apparently realized that Christians don't need an excuse to play non-church music, there's no reason why Christians can't be involved in art and have an effect on culture. It follows that the fact that a band isn't preaching the gospel or quoting Bible verses in their songs isn't a negation of their Christianity as a band. Saying what is on their mind through their music, believe it or not, actually makes the music applicable to real human beings who live real lives. Not that the Bible isn't the most perfectly applicable-to-human-life piece of art out there, but if you want to quote the Bible, don't do it with this kind of music -- it's hard to understand the words.
That brings me to another point. People who think that "Christian rock's" great usefulness is to sucker kids into falling for Christ. My band once played a show for a youth group thing where the youth leader told us that he wanted the kids to see that Christianity could be cool too. Christianity isn't cool, it's right. If you became a Christian for the same reason that you smoked a cigarette, you need to go back and try again.
Christians in bands. That is a great thing. My band is one of those 'bands of Christians.' It's great because you can have an artistically credible band (good music) that is singing about something true and important. It doesn't matter what the subject is, it will always reflect the beliefs of the band.
Also, many people believe that since Christian bands are supposed to be, you know, "Christian," they aren't allowed to address certain topics that might be rated PG-13. The truth is, life is rated R, and although there's no need to draw unnecessary attention to it, people who wish to present real life (and not everyone needs to) will be required to get into the thick of it one day. That is one reason why I admire Pedro The Lion. He's saying things that even non-Christians recognize as being a bit over the edge, but there's always a purpose. Christians can choose to be offended by it, and if they truly are, they don't need to listen to it, but if someone has something to say, it is the responsibility of the listener to hear it and choose for themselves if they agree or disagree and what they are going to do about it. If contrary ideas pose a threat to the person, it may or may not be a good thing. If it is not, maybe that person isn't ready to be listening to music.

By the way, the Moss/Midlake show tonight was pretty killer.

The day it single with half is done. Today I questioned all never. I have two way to choose: To be forever to crush and miss of with relief compensating single close to the failure memory, or cynicism. No the exit. I do not want either or one. Do fact any life does it come here, or it is only myself? A choice between torturing or the very grotesque escape.

-Josey Price

comrade

Quote:
he wanted the kids to see that Christianity could be cool too. Christianity isn't cool, it's right. If you became a Christian for the same reason that you smoked a cigarette, you need to go back and try again

Wow! Amen!

Quote:
"So, for kids who like this particular secular band, we have created a healthy alternative that we're sure they will enjoy just as much."

Almost no matter how good a band is in their own right, if you're listening to them while you'd rather be listening to a band you think they sound like, you're probably going to be disappointed.

Quote:
Thus Christian Music became known for being ripoffs of other bands.

Yeah, again the good artists get ignored because too many people are just looking for a "sounds like" band. The industry goes for what will make them more $, rather than what will be more glorifying to God.

Quote:
Also, many people believe that since Christian bands are supposed to be, you know, "Christian," they aren't allowed to address certain topics that might be rated PG-13. The truth is, life is rated R.

My pastor recently said that the Bible is rated R, and you know what? He's right. But "christian" music isn't about being real or truthful or even--dare I say--biblical anymore. It's about being positive. It's if we just sing (or listen) to enough songs about how Jesus makes us happy, then maybe we'll forget the way life really is. If we shelter our kids and ourselves enough, maybe we won't have to deal with the dirt. If we can just keep the sin and sinners far enough away.... of corse that's not us. We were cleaned up long ago, I mean we're obviously more righteous because we only surround ourselves with "clean" things: pretty music about Jesus, pretty picture with scripture verses, etc. Hmmm...

So anyway, "christian" music, in it's attempt to become positive and safe, is shrinking in on itself. It's shrivelling up, becoming cold and gray, monolithic, dead. After all, no one has ever been bothered by a dead fly.
 |  | 
spheric1
Sea Post King

F.Y.I. I made the previous post. I guess I took too long cause I got auto-logged out (grrr).