Laughing City
boyd
Eisleyoid

Discussion About itunes Release

I'm starting a thread specifically about the itunes tracks because we're sending out an e-blast but I don't want to bore or abuse those (you?) poor saps who signed up for that sweet, little marketing vehicle. My new rule: "Short Read e-blasts. Respect the power of the people!"...because there's that tempting "un-subscribe" button at the bottom of every one.

Note: I'm also training you for how we access information in a practically-perfect-in-every-way way. This is how we'll work the front page (site) blogs...only most of them will likely be in "Announcements".

Telescope Eyes...

What can we say? It's a catchy, Eisley song. It has a history... and it might have a future. Sherri wrote the tune... certainly takes a look at rejection but I won't attempt to get into her mind. I admit, the band is ready to move past that song but - hey, we'll see what happens, right? The band doesn't really mind playing it and... it sounds great live. It was played extensively in the Dallas market last year (thanks to Josh - and The EDGE) and now has a new video coming out...soon.

Anyway, Rob Cavallo. Grammy nominated producer many times over; most recently for "Green Day's" new record. He's really good. Sensitive, smart, a great communicator, a great friend, loves the band, "gets" the band... even bought tons of Sherri's artwork. That's Rob. Called us on the road several times to see if we need to borrow any of his gear... since he had "so much just laying around".

Eisley had this great collection of songs...recorded ones; Rob was the last guy with the baton and needed to complete the record by helping the band track a tune that needed some life and a new opportunity. The band feels like Rob did a great job - and under pressure.

Vintage People

Best of my knowledge, Sherri wrote the song some 3-6 months before heading to LA to record the record. It quickly became a contender for the full length and was slated to be recorded with Rob Schnapf...who, no doubt, would have done a killer job (wait'll you hear the rest of the record) but after the pile of songs grew and exceeded the full-length-limit (FLL)- many were trimmed. It was thought and deemed that "Vintage People" might somehow occupy the same space as "Plenty of Paper" so... it wasn't recorded. The band was ok with this... they pretty much like all their songs equally; WELL - something had to go... many other amazing songs also got the boot.

But you know the story. (it's all in that novel on this forum) This became the PERFECT opportunity for Eisley to track the song back home in dear old Tyler, Texas at Rosewood Studios. That's the story. It isn't mixed, but I think it sounds great. BAM. What's next? - i'm getting tired and still have to get this e-blast out.

Tree Tops

Last. Surely not least. I have no doubt that, for many of you, this will be your favorite song. Produced my indie mogul (some add "monster") - "Mike Mogis", it draws from the very ethereal, indie-essence of the band. Lo-Fi? Maybe - but if so - why did mr Mogis use 20 (count 'em) 20 mics on the drums? Anyway, t's creative, ambient... indie. The arrangement is different; the song is longer. On the Stacy vocal (ahhhh) solo - she sings into the pick ups on an electric guitar. There'z yoo sum trivial spew.

It was cold, cold, in Nebraska... right after all the showcases and... eventual handshake with Warner/Reprise but before touring with Chris Martin, these tunes were tracked: "Laughing City", "Sun Feet", "Over the Mountains", "Sea King" and "King Mambo the Olympiad" (jk)...what was the other one? (goes and looks up in i-tunes) MR PINE!!! Two of these made it to the now extinct ep - L.C.

So...that's that. "Thank you and on the behalf of the band, I hope we passed the audition..."

This topic is now open for discussion. I can predict exactly what you guys will illuminate and expound upon. Don't forget... it's a Laughing City; no crying. cheers ya'll.

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
pzy
Wookie Luke

Vintage People is freakin' amazing.

That is all.

frostbitten81
Sea Post King

pzykotic wrote:
Vintage People is freakin' amazing.

I concur.

Sing away. l l Swing away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
leighish
Vintage Newbie

Vintage people made me want to jump on my bed and giggle incessantly.
thats a good thing.
These songs are so wonderful, it baffles me that the album tracks could possibly be any better. I can't wait.

theantrider wrote:
My jaw hurts and I have an ulcer. That's what spending time with Kylee gets you
Joined: 25 Apr 2004 | Posts: 6183 | Location: Lake Jackson, TX
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Vinatage People is already Eisley's top download on iTunes. I think that says a lot. Smile

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
todd!
Sea Post King

vintage people is amazing in every sense of the word.
and the demo of tree tops is... awe inspiring.
thanks for letting them loose in the world.
-todd!

www.myspace.com/seamonstersongs
sing songs and song sings!
Joined: 15 Nov 2003 | Posts: 105 | Location: virginia beach, virginia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pzy
Wookie Luke

And the EP is currently #26 on the top 100 albums in the Rock genre. That's FREAKIN SWEET.
dial r for revenge
Golly, Poster

boyd.. will these be available to the uk? they haven't turned up on the uk itunes store yet.
"dial" in Welsh means "revenge". If a welsh speaker enters an English phone booth, having paid the coin/phone card the next command the l.e.d screen throws at the customer is "revenge!" thus setting the tone for a confrontational conversation.
(thank you mogwai you are all nuts.)
Joined: 04 May 2004 | Posts: 564 | Location: bristol, england
robbie
Vintage Newbie

I had a friend post on my myspace account telling me that Telescope Eyes is #3 at the radio station at her college (Louisiana university). I thought that was kinda cool.
Joined: 17 Jun 2004 | Posts: 2249 | Location: Kansas City, MO
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

even though tree tops and (especially) vintage people are demos, i think the songs are amazing. A-mazing.

i now have 5 versions of telescope eyes Wink Rolling Eyes
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

[quote="boyd On the Stacy vocal (ahhhh) solo - she sings into the pick ups on an electric guitar. There'z yoo sum trivial spew.

[/quote]

The first person I saw do that was Incubus's Brandon Boyd

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
ryan fisher
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
boyd wrote:
On the Stacy vocal (ahhhh) solo - she sings into the pick ups on an electric guitar. There'z yoo sum trivial spew.

isaac brock's been doing it for ages
granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

the best part of the demo of tree tops is that little pause before "i'll float above the ocean" man...that kicks so much ass...mostly because i envision Boyd's excitement as that part approached hahaha...i swear he's like a hyperactive teenager when it comes to Eisley...
bgburroughs
Vintage Newbie

ryan fisher wrote:
Pantheon4 wrote:
boyd wrote:
On the Stacy vocal (ahhhh) solo - she sings into the pick ups on an electric guitar. There'z yoo sum trivial spew.

isaac brock's been doing it for ages

As has Jónsi, for one section of "Svefn-g-Englar."
Last edited by bgburroughs on Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
sizeablescars
Golly, Poster

Vintage People is just ...wow. I can't get enough of it.