Laughing City
The Spark
Sea Post King

[quote="Rafael"]
well, perhaps its good that its gone cause i probably would have just written a string of curses and insults directed at him, his parents and the ugly children i imagine him having. that wouldnt reflect well on the band.
quote]

Don't forget his dog and that sorry excuse for a car I envision him driving! lol. that was about the worst review I've ever seen of anything. If anything, I bet it makes em more famous. To quote Third Day, an actual christian band that did perform at the republican national convention, "You make me mad!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kit
Sea Post King

Rolling Stone is nothing but a leftist, out of touch, and classless zine. It may as well change its name to Kidney Stone.
EisleyForever
Vintage Newbie

Kit wrote:
It may as well change its name to Kidney Stone.

Psst ... (nudges person next to her, whispering)

Kidney stone ... pass it on!

ali
since 1979

homesick_alien wrote:
The_Sympt0m wrote:

the reason people get wound up is because there are people out there who read this and take it to heart, there are people out there who will now NOT buy the album, and they WONT listen to it to make up their own mind. They'll figure it's crap and they wont bother giving it a chance.

-ben

PS™ a lot of people here just want everyone to know eisley, and see these bad reviews as road blocks, because people dont see through them at all.

sorry ben but thats garbage.I don't know of a single person who would take a rolling stone review so seriously it would turn them off hearing a band and what kind of music fan are they if they take rolling stones advice as concrete truth?

i've got to admit, i was once a person who was swayed by reviews in magazines. if it got a good review, i'd check it out. if not, i'd not bother. so yeah, i think ben's got a point.

oceaneyes
Sea Post King

ali wrote:
homesick_alien wrote:
The_Sympt0m wrote:

the reason people get wound up is because there are people out there who read this and take it to heart, there are people out there who will now NOT buy the album, and they WONT listen to it to make up their own mind. They'll figure it's crap and they wont bother giving it a chance.

-ben

PS™ a lot of people here just want everyone to know eisley, and see these bad reviews as road blocks, because people dont see through them at all.

sorry ben but thats garbage.I don't know of a single person who would take a rolling stone review so seriously it would turn them off hearing a band and what kind of music fan are they if they take rolling stones advice as concrete truth?

i've got to admit, i was once a person who was swayed by reviews in magazines. if it got a good review, i'd check it out. if not, i'd not bother. so yeah, i think ben's got a point.

And Rolling Stone is a REALLY popular magazine, mainstream at least. Some people are going to listen to what the (obviously seriously unqualified) reviewer said. They're missing out. It just makes me mad that all of those people won't get to experience Eisley just because some inarticulate writer decided that they 'still haven't moved up from Unicorn Barbie-hood'. That's really what it boils down to.
*looks over spectacles on the tip of her nose and adjusts her lab coat*
SO, in order to counter-act this reigning terror that is shoddy media coverage and seriously lacking reporter methods, we must attack with swiftness, using superior taste in music, inherent cuteness, and Teddys. Lots and lots of Teddys.

--
Everyone wants to deviate from the norm.
I am BeastieEastie's Hero.
Joined: 19 Sep 2004 | Posts: 311 | Location: Apache Junction, Arizona
Mars Volta
Sea Post King

Just remind yourself that the same magazine gave Hilary Duff's first CD 3 stars.

Plus, they gave my TMV 3 stars for Deloused, my favorite CD of all time.

Laughing Citizen

I don't think that review was horrible. the guy isn't saying that eisley's full of bad musicians or that the album has horrible songs.

The only real complaint the guy has is that the music isn't gritty enough. That was the same response Laughing City( or was it Marvy Things?) got. It seems to me that these rolling stone writers want something that pushes and breaks down boundaries. something that kicks you in the teeth, etc.

I think that, by the comment "Eisley have yet to prove that they're anything more than a killer talent-show entry. " is the reviewer challenging them to use their musical talents to create something that's more, mm, 'edgy' I guess (for lack of a better word).

I love room noises, so you know, I wouldn't change a thing, but not everyone likes good music, some people like music that good and needs some getting used to. I dunno, whatever. The review isn't as bad as it could be, and if my band got a review like that in rolling stone I don't think i'd be all that upset by it, because the problem the guy has with eisley isn't a problem at all as far as i'm concerned.

Joined: 05 Nov 2002 | Posts: 1640 | Location: California....
end MORAINE
Golly, Poster

I don't care what Rolling Stone says, Chauntelle is still hott.
miamoo
Sea Post King

what a empty review. let's wait to hear what a more sharply written respected mag says... SPIN...
cryptictonight
Lost at Forum

I can't help but be a little peeved. Bad reviews are fine...they happen. I know for a fact people have opinions and not everyone will like the same music and all that.
But yeesh, what a jerk. Not only was that poorly written, but he totally made completely out-of-context and biased politcal and religious remarks.
Personally I don't understand how any of that applies to the music itself.
What happened to articulate, critical, and GOOD writing that reviews the actual music on an album and doesn't make assumptions based on a band's background? What happened to decency?
homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

ali wrote:

do you just automatically disagree with everything I say these days ali? Shocked

and Ben and oceaneyes,why are you under the impression that if someone is swayed by a RS review and don't check out eisley themselves thats the end of it,its a fan lost forever? whats to say they wont hear them on the radio/mtv or read about them in other publications (good reviews) etc?

didn't the thread starter say Sherri said she didn't care about the review? if so, why does anyone else?If the co-writer and lead singer is mature enough to not let it bother her then we should all take a leaf out of Sherris book and just wait patiently until the "non believers" are won over (which alot of them will be,not all but alot)

Vintage Newbie

homesick_alien wrote:
didn't the thread starter say Sherri said she didn't care about the review? if so, why does anyone else?If the co-writer and lead singer is mature enough to not let it bother her then we should all take a leaf out of Sherris book and just wait patiently until the "non believers" are won over (which alot of them will be,not all but alot)

Hear hear.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

I want to point out that i dont mean any offence when i made my above post,just saying we shouldn't worry too much about a bad review because the good ones will far outweigh it

god,im so paranoid on here now like i have to make a disclaimer after everything i say Crying or Very sad

Vintage Newbie

ali wrote:
homesick_alien wrote:
The_Sympt0m wrote:

-ben

just because you dont know of any, paul, doesnt mean there arent any. I'm in high school, i know SEVERAL, for some people, they get rollingstone because they arent THAT into music, they dont have the time to look for bands and give a chance for everything, so they just trust what they read in rolling stone.

-ben

PS™ jsut becuase you dont know anyone like it, doesnt mean it's "garbage" i wouldnt say something if i didnt know a rather large amount of people who are like that.

Sea Post King

I love how he makes being "polite" seem like a bad thing. Tell you what, how's about Eisley starts puking blood on the audience and flipping everyone off at their shows while shouting obscenities that would make even a foulmouth like me shiver in the corner like a newborn baby? Would that make them "cooler"? (Weston and John can if they want, but girls, don't you dare!) Maybe if Eminem sampled them in one of his songs (*ahem* Dido) they would earn some cool points.

This review really was awful. Good reviews, bad reviews, whatever. You take them all with a grain of salt, if at all, but everyone who has previously mentioned it is right: the review just....sucks. You'd never see Rolling Stone praise any of the amazing up-and-comers out there like Tilly and the Wall, Volcano I'm Still Excited, and so on. I could go on and on about amazing bands that Rolling Stone ignores. Nope. They just keep kissing the rears of the big time radio moneymakers while the automatons out there just shell out their hard earned cash for a music magazine that matters about as much as MTV in an ever-expanding world that no longer sees them as valid.

And what's this other review about Eisley listeners being into unicorns or something? Awesome assumption. PETTY!!! See, this is why I don't read these magazines.

Trying to rid you from my poems"
-The Decemberists

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>