Laughing City
robbie
Vintage Newbie

Wow, four pages for this? It was a bad review, but not THAT bad. I've certainly heard them criticize in a harsher way. Whether you like Rolling Stone or not shouldn't matter, the bad review could delay some fans in finding eisley or stop them forever, but a person who takes a critics word as gospel isn't necessarily a fan I'd be concerned about. There are most certainly people that dislike Eisley with more fervor than this reviewer did, but that doesn't make them a bad person or leave them without credibility, it just means that somebody has different musical taste than you. Period. I have a feeling Pitchforkmedia will rip the album apart, they've given bad reviews to a lot of stuff I've liked last year.
Joined: 17 Jun 2004 | Posts: 2249 | Location: Kansas City, MO
robbie
Vintage Newbie

p.s. I don't think Rolling Stone has ever claimed to be a magazine for the "little guy"... it's a big magazine for the masses, that group that is larger than us, remember? Don't fault them for not covering someone like the Unicorns, or the Robot Ate Me... it's not in their scope to cover that... that's what the smaller magazines are for.
Joined: 17 Jun 2004 | Posts: 2249 | Location: Kansas City, MO
Ecouter
Vintage Newbie

Oh, come now, Robbie. Stop being so annoyingly reasonable. Wink As ultimate Eisley fans, surely we're allowed to utterly despise haters and question their taste in music. Gosh. Idiot.
bgburroughs
Vintage Newbie

I think a lot of people's problem with the review was that it was so poorly written, aside from the fact that it was negative. If he had at least done a well-written review that made more of an effort to support his low rating, it'd be a different story...
ijustpeedalittle
Sea Post King

haha
I really don't care all that much, but I must say
That was a really dumb review. REALLY dumb.
Wow, they focused on the stupidest things and made no valid points.
I know people do get swayed by these things, but I really thought it ridiculous.
(I hope others do too, especially people who have not heard of Eisley)

Have a nice day

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ali
since 1979

homesick_alien wrote:
ali wrote:

i've got to admit, i was once a person who was swayed by reviews in magazines. if it got a good review, i'd check it out. if not, i'd not bother. so yeah, i think ben's got a point.

do you just automatically disagree with everything I say these days ali? Shocked

and Ben and oceaneyes,why are you under the impression that if someone is swayed by a RS review and don't check out eisley themselves thats the end of it,its a fan lost forever? whats to say they wont hear them on the radio/mtv or read about them in other publications (good reviews) etc?

didn't the thread starter say Sherri said she didn't care about the review? if so, why does anyone else?If the co-writer and lead singer is mature enough to not let it bother her then we should all take a leaf out of Sherris book and just wait patiently until the "non believers" are won over (which alot of them will be,not all but alot)

haha! yes, i can't help but to always disagree with you Razz

you're right, the review isn't permanently damaging, people could be exposed to eisley later. but a good review in a magazine like rs can do wonders for first week/month album sales, which i've heard is very important to a label (and therefore, indirectly, the band). so in that respect, it's kind of a shame. but hey, like you said, if the band doesn't care, then i don't care.

ideal
Sea Post King

i partcularly like this line from a rollingstone review of britney spears' album:

"Britney's demand for satisfaction is complex, fierce and downright scary, making her a true child of rock & roll tradition. (RS 842)"

supershayde
Sea Post King

ideal wrote:
i partcularly like this line from a rollingstone review of britney spears' album:

"Britney's demand for satisfaction is complex, fierce and downright scary, making her a true child of rock & roll tradition. (RS 842)"

Wow. What MORONS. "True child of rock and roll tradition"? Excuse me? EXCUSE ME? What kind of FREAKING idiots are these people?

They say Eisley is "Unicorn Barbie" music and Britney Spears is "true rock and roll".

Here's what I say. Britney Spears is IDIOTIC, and Eisley is uplifting, eerie, angelic, enlightening, and judged unfairly because of religious beliefs.

In addition, Ashlee Simpson is HORRIBLE.

I haven't ranted as far as I'd like to, but hey. Whatever. You shouldn't let these guys get to you.

But still, erg.

Last edited by supershayde on Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
boone
Vintage Newbie

I just wanted to write a review of his review. It was pretty bad all around. I just think that if you have the hubris to think your opinion matters enough to share in a major magazine as some kind of truth, you might as well make your opinion clear. People who criticize somebody's work should at least do their own job well enough to be taken seriously.

Of course, the hubris in forming an opinion on somebody's opinion is extremely clear, but it's for the sake of satire, so I think it's appropriate. I wonder if there would be a chance of me making a career in review reviewing. Obviously it's sorely needed.

Noodler
Sea Post King

I sent a link to this discussion to Mr. Hoard at Rolling Stone. I challenge him to respond. To quote myself:

"My question is this. Will uber media super stars actually listen and put their bias aside and give these kids a fair listen or will they hate Eisley because they hate George Bush?"

Obviously, Mr. Christian Hoard cannot and did not.
shawn
Sea Post King

robbie wrote:
p.s. I don't think Rolling Stone has ever claimed to be a magazine for the "little guy"... it's a big magazine for the masses, that group that is larger than us, remember? Don't fault them for not covering someone like the Unicorns, or the Robot Ate Me... it's not in their scope to cover that... that's what the smaller magazines are for.

Robbie! Robbie, Robbie, Robbie. Hahahaha! There was no reason for repeating your name. I just thought it sounded good out loud (if not on paper, or, in this case, screen). In regards to the big boys covering the "little guys": haven't you noticed? Modest Mouse? Bright Eyes? Death Cab For Cutie? The Shins? These "little guys" are everywhere now. Indie rock has become the new big thing. Not that that's a bad thing! Heaven forbid should the mass listen to good music. But the bands I have in mind, including The Unicorns, aren't exactly unheard of. They're huge in the indie scene, as were the previously mentioned bands once. They're the "next big thing" (like Eisley!!!!!!!) and you'd think any magazine worth their weight in subscribers would want to be the "first ones there." But, what do I know? I've never run a magazine (nor do I intend to!!).

And I, personally, have no problem with the fact that this fella didn't like the album. Everyone is more than welcome to their opinion and encouraged to voice it. That's the beauty of freedom and self-realization, but the review itself was poor. That's all. And I'm not kidding when I say that the 5th graders I'm interning with right now have written better book reviews. I mean, come on. "Best band at a talent show?" That could be in regards to any band I listen to!!! The review was unclear and inconclusive, hence, a bad review. I just wanted to let you know where I was coming from. I don't want to write a bad review of the reviewer!!!!!!! Smile But, yeah, you're right, I think there's been too much energy spent on a lousy review. It's like I always say, ya takes the yings with the yangs. And if the Eisley kids aren't concerned with it, then neither should we. It's up to us ultimately to turn the non-believers. I'm done!!!

Trying to rid you from my poems"
-The Decemberists
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

i wonder how hard it is to get your letter in the front part of the magazine?

i want to somehow ask the question:

If Rolling Stone is such a liberal, free thinking publication, why do they follow the cliche' of automatically assuming that every Christian backs Bush?

p.s. i happen to know several that don't

Admiral79
Lost at Forum

I didn't think the review was that bad either, however, not much context. It sounds like to me that the author doesn't like Eisley's type of music, but knows that their music is actually really good and that most people will like it. Because of that he couldn't trash them too bad.
KyGuyEisleyfan
Sea Post King

I am a strong christian and am in the christian band Noah Bullock, but I cannot stand W. He stands for everything that christianity is not. Now money bags church people who are there for the wrong reasons are why we get that label.
Ecouter
Vintage Newbie

KyGuyEisleyfan wrote:
I am a strong christian and am in the christian band Noah Bullock, but I cannot stand W. He stands for everything that christianity is not. Now money bags church people who are there for the wrong reasons are why we get that label.

hmm. interesting.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>