Laughing City
ptah
Sea Post King

I'm a guy who likes good music. Eisley = good music ... so there you go.
I like a wide range of stuff - always have. Sometimes I listen to one thing for a while, but it doesn't mean I don't like anything else.
That being said, I am one of the elders around here (30+), and I wonder if I was a teenager now, would I be an Eisley fan? I bet I would be, but who knows. Young boys tend to want to rock out more (I know I did - and still do).
I'd probably be a fan, but may not listen to them endlessly. And go to a show? - hmmm, don't know if I would or not... maybe.
OK, this is going no where...sorry. Babble babble babble...
I'm glad I'm a fan now, and I can't wait for the Dallas show next weekend.

P.

www.myspace.com/ptah
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thesinisterpenguin
Vintage Newbie

because Eisley get in touch with a universal side to everyone, guys or gals.
some guys, as mentioned, act all tough and stuff, but if they had Eisley and a fairly open mind, i'm sure it would change them.
so yeah. i liked Eisley, because they were such a fresh sound, and as they were opening V2003, and i was there and it was my first gig/festival experience, i was open minded.
although....i do remember joking with my friend about how often they said 'hi we're Eisley' in their cute voices. i remember the opening keys of Mr Pine making me feel mellow, and the outstanding vocal harmonies amazing me.
i'm glad that i purposefully tried to stick the name Eisley in my head, along with Mr Pine, Sea King and Tree Tops. i can't remember the other few songs right now, but yeah. the music was inspiring, and my ears were open to let it in. it filled my heart and mind, and it made things around me seem a bit...kind of....unimportant.
so yeah, they take me out of this world really, and let me escape this degrading place we call earth. i love listening to music on my headphones when i walk everywhere. it makes me concentrate on the lyrics or the melodies. it makes me appreciate the noises more.

thank you Eisley for making me more open minded and for helping me forget the real world sometimes. thank you.
the end of my thought train.
shawn
Sea Post King

I admit it!!! I'm a grown man and I love Eisley! It's true, it's true!!!! Oh, the shame......

What I love is having my car full of people who don't know any better and playing something like Spazz and then following it up with something like Eisley or Belle and Sebastian. Radars get jammed, let me tell you. Variety is the spice of life! Especially when it comes to music and food. Mmmmmm.....foooood.

Trying to rid you from my poems"
-The Decemberists
Vegetable
Vintage Newbie

granpaturtle wrote:
i've learned this lesson:

if you want to get guys to listen to Eisley, step one, show them pics of the band...i'm dead serious.
that's how i introduce Eisley to a lot of my WMUC co-workers that are male, and they are becoming fans slowly but surely. They find out hot chicks are playing instruments, and they start to wonder what's going on. It piques their curiosity.
Now i don't ALWAYS do this, but when i really think about it, that's how i became interested in the band (i saw the marvy things video with no sound Laughing ) so it's an effective strategy

that´s 100% true Laughing

about this discussion, I also really like female vocalists. I listen to a lot of bands with female vocalists (eisley, goldfrapp, madonna, garbage, fiona, blondie, björk). I don´t mind my friends... most of them don´t like Eisley... the funny part is that they can´t dislike them, cuz they´ve never actually LISTENED to them. I even gave a CD to one of my friends, and he never listened to it. They just heard like 10 seconds. And that was enough for them to dislike them and refuse to listening to their music.

Visit my Pic Album!
Joined: 17 Jul 2003 | Posts: 3973 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jdstories
Vintage Newbie

You know what is funny? I know a GIRL who did the same thing. 10 seconds and that was all it took. To my knowledge she never listened to Eisley again. The song was "Marvelous Things", too. How can anyone not like "Marvelous Things"?

JD

Admiral79
Lost at Forum

I love Eisley ultimately because is soulful, emotion-driven music. Usually however, I don't like female vocalists. Probably because I can't relate to the music when I sing along, where as I can totally put myself into Chris Martin's shoes. But, the melodies and harmonies of Eisley are too much to deny.

And I hate to admit it, but them being attractive does kind of add something. Now sometimes it feels like they're singing to me. Its dangerous I know, but its kind of a guilty pleasure to believe Sherri is singing that she's feeling alone without me in her arms. Not that I think I ever have a shot with her, but its just kind of magical when music puts you in a state of mind where you feel loved.
forumlurker
Sea Post King

males can like eisley for whatever reason they choose- its only effeminate when you start apologizing or making excuses like "i only like them cause they're hot".

just say i like this band.... so what...i feel sorry that you're not open minded enough.....
Thiazi
Sea Post King

As a male fan of Eisley, I can hopefully help to shed some light as to why some guys like them and others don't. I think part of it is that some men are so insecure in their sexuality that they are almost afraid to admit liking anything that doesn't have heavy riffs or screaming vocalists because liking something that has a nice melody or soft vocals will somehow make them less of a man. As for me, I've always just prefered female vocals and have been into bands like Portishead, the Cardigans, Flunk, Rilo Kiley, and now Eisley and I guess for me, I've never felt less of a man for listening to that type of music. I'm just not really into heavy music and to be honest, listening to male vocalists really doesn't do anything for me.

I will admit that I have a hard time getting into bands like Bright Eyes, the Decemberists, and Death Cab for Cutie, which are similar to bands that I like but feature male vocalists. For some reason it's just awkward to listening to other men express their emotions, where as it seems perfectly rational for female singer to do so. I know that with the Postal Service, I hated listening to Ben Gibbard sing for the longest time but since I liked the synthpop beats and Jenny Lewis singing in the background, I kept on listening to the CD and finally started appreciating Ben's vocals. Granted that love has not transferred over to Death Cab but I guess for me, I would rather listen to female singers. I will admit to liking the hot singers argument that someone brought up earlier, though to be honest I think that Denali is the only band that I ever got into because there singer was hot.

<< prev | goto page