Laughing City
Drummerboy
Sea Post King

well i always thought it was about kids that want to be your friend but you can't be seen with them because they're weirdos. but when i say the making of the video sherri said it was about being scared of things in your house, and i was like huh? i guess she was just refering to the video. makes no sense to me. still a great song though.
oversimplified(myband)
Sea Post King

I all so think that "telescope eyes" and "metal teeth" are metaphors for Glasses and braces.Unfortunatly, I remember being rejected (and to this day being...rejected).I think the song might have something to do with that.It sounds as if the song is writen by the "rejectie" not the "rejecter" .Yet I don't believe there is a "Mathew" in the band, but (like allways) I could be wrong about that.-Your humble noob
gRegor
the gEek

Matthew was just an arbitrary name, doesn't refer to anyone specifically.
zara
Golly, Poster

Drummerboy wrote:
well i always thought it was about kids that want to be your friend but you can't be seen with them because they're weirdos.

Me Too .

sweeeeet
Golly, Poster

I thought it was about a nerd who wanted to ask out the popular girl, like in the movie 16 Candles. But then they said the video was about ghosts?????? Now I'm really confused!
Vegetable
Vintage Newbie

sweeeeet wrote:
I thought it was about a nerd who wanted to ask out the popular girl, like in the movie 16 Candles. But then they said the video was about ghosts?????? Now I'm really confused!

the song was originally written for "Casper". You know, cuz Kat rejects Casper, just because heīs a ghost. But in the end Casper didnīt actually have braces and glasses, so the movie producers yelled at the girls and didnīt include the song in the soundtrack.
Razz

Visit my Pic Album!
Joined: 17 Jul 2003 | Posts: 3973 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
oversimplified(myband)
Sea Post King

sweeeeet wrote:
But then they said the video was about ghosts?????? Now I'm really confused!

most music videos have nothing to do with the song.I don't think it was a ghost.What ever it was it has made me move my dresser to block off my closet, And hide under my blanket chant the rosery.Scared......NEVER!!

Marloes
Sea Post King

I thought it was about rejecting...rejecting 'less popular' people or people who show they are insecure, because all people are insecure themselves. People often try to get a better social position by talking bad about others or bully others. Something like that..

What's the use, but ok Xanga
Joined: 16 Aug 2004 | Posts: 183 | Location: the Netherlands
guitarfreak217
Vintage Newbie

gRegor wrote:
Matthew was just an arbitrary name, doesn't refer to anyone specifically.

I sort of guessed that. But I still feel sorry for him.

jdstories
Vintage Newbie

This song is about Bender from Futurama. He is a robot whose eyes can telescope and he has metal teeth.

JD

boone
Vintage Newbie

The verses are from the perspective of a popular person rejecting others for not being enough like them, and the chorus is from the point of view of the person being rejected.

It's a pretty straightforward song.

The5thavocado
Vintage Newbie

I thought the video made perfect sense with the song.
Maybe the closet represents what is within us, and the creepy thing is a metaphor for what we are capable of becoming or giving into (bullies, sin??)...The fact that Sherri closes the door might symbolize that she is stronger than the human urge to treat others wrongly, give into temptation, etc etc.

Good people choose to close the door on things that aren't good for them. If the ghost is a temptation to bring others down, She confrots it, and it loses, if that makes any sense.

I am super tired.

I still love Eisley a gamahucheing million time better than farting
Joined: 28 Feb 2005 | Posts: 2060 | Location: Dallas, Texas
rawkin4christ89
Sea Post King

Wow. that makes sence! i never though about it like that. i get it now! yay thankx guys
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
esperanza
Sea Post King

the song is definitely about rejection (their mom said so, if that's not enough for you...), but i think i get the ghosts thing in the video too.

in the vid, sherri's the rejectee, because she's different, innocent, imaginative, scared at night... not cynical, not hardened, not afraid to believe in the unbelievable. and she's saying that these people label her and put her in the cast-off box, and expect her to change if she wants to be acceptable and accepted.

but, if they could/would only take down their layers, accumulated over many years of their own rejection, they're still just like her.

it's so easy to point the finger and not see that we're just the same. we're always so quick to make judgements and pigeon-hole people, even if we have just been dealing with the same stuff.

emilyrebecca.easyjournal.com
Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

....and....and...think about it.....Sherri will be a ghost some day.
Ghost are people too Laughing

Sorry...just joshin with all of ya Wink

uhm...the song IS about rejecting and being rejected.
Sherri was explaining the "making of the video" and what the concept of the video was about. Not the song.

So, there ya go... Cool