Laughing City

What religion/faith are you?
Christian (includes Catholic and Protestant)
57%
 57%  [ 62 ]
Mormon
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Muslim
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Agnostic
7%
 7%  [ 8 ]
Atheist/Humanist/Existentialist
8%
 8%  [ 9 ]
Eastern (Buddhist, Taoist, New Age, Wiccan, etc.)
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
none/undecided/don't want to answer
12%
 12%  [ 14 ]
other
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 108

IHeartYourTelescopeEyes
Sea Post King

I like girls.

How do you shoot the devil in the back? What if you miss? -The Usual Suspects-

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
-The Usual Suspects-

"What does it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul?" -The Picture of Dorian Gray
Joined: 24 Mar 2005 | Posts: 307 | Location: Franktown Tennessee
phoenixdown
Vintage Newbie

IHeartYourTelescopeEyes wrote:
I like girls.

Amen to that! Very Happy
boone
Vintage Newbie

I wonder what would happen if I threw in the belief that Baptists as a denomination are neither Protestant nor Catholic. I would also wonder what might be thought about the belief that they antedate both systems of doctrine?

It seems like everybody (and I really mean everybody) considers Christianity to be the Big Two, and likes to lump everything "Christian" into those two categories, failing to realize that there are people who honestly don't feel they have any part of them.

I like girls, too. They don't like me.

robbie
Vintage Newbie

For a few years the only time you'd see me in church (remember? atheist) was when they were having their potato bar. So I guess I am part of a religion loosely based around the potato. The girl thing sounds good too. We could make it the holy trinity I guess and say that I believe in the potato, the Girl, and the Guinness. That Guinness died for my sins... sins committed with girls and potatos... mmm... evil taters.
Joined: 17 Jun 2004 | Posts: 2249 | Location: Kansas City, MO
phoenixdown
Vintage Newbie

Huh. I was always under the impression that Baptists were Protestant (and I used to go to a Baptist church). As far as I understand it, "Protestant" basically refers to any Christian denomination besides Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, and the "spin-off" religions like the LDS and Jehovah's Witnesses. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I never labeled myself as belonging to a particular denomination when I was a Christian either, though, so I know what you're talking about (I think).
boone
Vintage Newbie

Protestants were a group of Christians (quite a large group) that "protested" and broke away from the Catholic church. Those churches came from the Catholic church. They were from groups known as reformers, like the Lutherans, Presbeterians, and the Episcopals (who weren't actually reformers, really). But since Catholicism started in 300 AD (and didn't formally organize until sometime later), there has to be a denomination that precedes it. It is believed by some that the original church perpetuated into what is now known as the Baptist church.

Of course, when you watch TV you will hear point blank people saying that the Catholic church was the first church, but that makes for a 280-some-odd year gap that isn't accounted for. There were other churches besides Catholics before the idea of protestantism came. There were two Ecumenical councils in 1139 and 1179 held by Popes Innocent II and Alexander III, respectively, to talk about the "impieties" of the Petro-Brussians, Arnoldists, Waldenses, and Albigenses; churches with similar doctrines who were named after their leaders by Catholics after they were denied to be called Christians.

Most Baptist Conventions have started to claim that came from protesting the Catholic church (i.e., the Southern Baptist Convention), but looking into history may point to more noble origins.

Most truly independent Baptists believe in this heritage, and have a pretty good reason to believe that they don't belong in the Catholic/Protestant mess.

"Were it not that the baptists have been grievously tormented and cut off with the knife during the past twelve hundred years, they would swarm in greater number than all the Reformers." --Cardinal Hosius, President of the Council of Trent, 1524

midnightmourning
Sea Post King

[quote="berlies]
I believe in a God. But the rest I have come to believe through my own experiences. I dont believe that God is up there, granting our prayers and making decisions for us. There are too many things explained by Science to believe what the Bible says.
[/quote]

That right there is one of my biggest dilemmas. I was raised a Roman Catholic, however as I grew up I began to start second-guessing everything in the Bible on the sheer fact that what I was learning about science and such disproved it. I'm still having a lot of trouble with that fact...

Livejournal. Xanga.
MySpace. Hah, I have no friends on it.
Joined: 17 Aug 2004 | Posts: 485 | Location: Oceanside, New York
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I believe that God is behind all of that. Existence is a cake. And you have to have ingredients for that cake (atoms, chemicals, elements, etc), and you have to have a process for that cake to be baked (evolution sound familiar?). God is our baker, science is our oven and ingredients. Cakes just don't appear out of nothing.

That may just sound terrible, but I believe it.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Radical Spike
Sea Post King

funky-geetar wrote:
organized religion is silly. why cant we just believe there is a god and he is good. we shouldnt have to call it anything.

Aye.

I love you all truely and sincerely. I bought your album "Room Noises" today and fell in deeper love with you. If you ever want anything from me, whether it be a friendly person to talk to, or a hand to hold, or a band to play in a concert for you. I will be glad to do so.

Your Sincere friend,
Loren
boone
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
I believe that God is behind all of that. Existence is a cake. And you have to have ingredients for that cake (atoms, chemicals, elements, etc), and you have to have a process for that cake to be baked (evolution sound familiar?). God is our baker, science is our oven and ingredients. Cakes just don't appear out of nothing.

Sounds like you're tired and hungry, Jamie.

amidthestars
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:

doesn't sound terrible, sounds logical. everything is so complicated...and we're supposed to think that nothing exploded, and here we all are? hmm!

ok, now i want cake.

all your kind, they're coming clean
they shut their eyes
their mess, their scene
jdstories
Vintage Newbie

I just had cake. It was good.

JD

phoenixdown
Vintage Newbie

So if God is the baker, who are the butcher and the candlestick-maker?
amidthestars
Vintage Newbie

phoenixdown wrote:
So if God is the baker, who are the butcher and the candlestick-maker?

OMG.

that made me laugh.

all your kind, they're coming clean
they shut their eyes
their mess, their scene
rottenxbeauty
Sea Post King

you left out Judaism!
it is a major religion ya know

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>