Laughing City
loveisachemical
Vintage Newbie

yoetheterrible wrote:
Wait guys, I don't think the country of China would appreciate having some of its internal issues discussed lets respect it's privacy

i just didnt think that sarcasm was funny.
jdstories
Vintage Newbie

yoetheterrible wrote:
Wait guys, I don't think the country of China would appreciate having some of its internal issues discussed lets respect it's privacy

We needed something light-hearted in this crazy thread. That made me laugh.

JD

Silvestre
Golly, Poster

jdstories wrote:
Silvestre wrote:
no, but China is the best example of a communist country, although it's not such a pure one as the books tell us..

I don't understand why you think China is the best example of communism. It seems like one of the worst examples to me.

JD

because i really do know they do censorship...that's why it's the best example...not the best example for all things people would discuss about...but why do you think it's the worst example???i don't understand...in what area???maybe this discussion should be continued through PMs if you want to...cause it is in no way still relevant to the topic

Vintage Newbie

True. I feel no need to further discuss China.

JD

ideal
Sea Post King

I have been a member of this forum for over a year now, and I have to say it is quite amazing (and yet predictable at this point) how much tension comes up periodically and that involves subjects as varied as the band or politics or music or whatever...

obviously the personal life of sherri or chauntelle or the reasons My Lovely was recorded, etc, etc, etc, are not the reason threads like this spring up all the time, but rather it is the temperament here which although I'm sure intends in good faith to be warm-hearted and kind, inevitably ends up in continual arguments and people being offended and so forth, all as a result of everyone here taking themselves too seriously!!! (and I admit, I was guilty of this a handful of times back in the day)

This waspy notion of hyper political correctness and the whole nine yards is only a facade that seen more closely belies a set of tensions and emotions that are so ridiculous that they could never be voiced explicitly for personal embarassment of whoever was stating them, and I'm sure this is the reason that they remain undercurrents that no less permeate posts on this forum daily.

That there are people who are teenage obsessed with one of the band members and thus spout crazy half-muted statements every so often, that some older board members are snobby because they discovered eisley first or they have had personal contact with the band of some sort, that there are people who through a morbid fascination with the band's image want to gobble up every last detail of their personal lives, all of these things are natural human behaviors, in particular of teenagers.

The irony here is that older board members would reprimand newbies for this behavior when they have themselves displayed all these behaviors in the past...not pin-pointing anyone in particular here and i admit myself to some degree of whatever weird and morbid fascinations I now acknowledge as ridiculous, which leads to my ultimate point that it is natural for people to do these things, and once the aura of restrictiveness is lifted from this forum, people's actual mindsets will self-correct when they realise how silly they are in the first place, or they will just get over their adolescent obsessions in due time.

As far as protecting the band's personal integrity, that is more than anything else the band's responsibility, and the responsibility of those people who presumably are friends of the band and to which they have entrusted private information. I don't shun the fact that moderators here edit and delete posts they find offensive (this is done in all forums), but I do wish that the general environment here would become more relaxed and with a greater sense of irony, humor, and much less political correctness which just serves to cover truly disturbing thoughts and behavior.

Silvestre
Golly, Poster

does this political correctness have something to do with me and JD talking bout Chinese Communism or what??? Very Happy
Sea Post King

Oh no! My commentary is more on the ambient of the forum over time, and hardly relates to the content of this specific thread, otherwise than insofar as it is symptomatic of what i'm saying.

reading my own post over, i realise it is somewhat self-defeating in that it takes itself too seriously... i do wish however that this would stir some peoples thoughts and get people here to relax more and not be so uptight! Cool

ideal
Sea Post King

Wow can you imagine the coincidence that we have the same number of posts?
Silvestre
Golly, Poster

ah it's just one of the magical coincidence that happens from time to time...hahahhaa...seriously, it's pretty cool Very Happy
now i have the same post number with you AGAIN!!hahahaha...i never thought this could happen....it really is cool...hahahhahaa Very Happy

Sea Post King

ideal wrote:
I have been a member of this forum for over a year now, and I have to say it is quite amazing (and yet predictable at this point) how much tension comes up periodically and that involves subjects as varied as the band or politics or music or whatever...

obviously the personal life of sherri or chauntelle or the reasons My Lovely was recorded, etc, etc, etc, are not the reason threads like this spring up all the time, but rather it is the temperament here which although I'm sure intends in good faith to be warm-hearted and kind, inevitably ends up in continual arguments and people being offended and so forth, all as a result of everyone here taking themselves too seriously!!! (and I admit, I was guilty of this a handful of times back in the day)

This waspy notion of hyper political correctness and the whole nine yards is only a facade that seen more closely belies a set of tensions and emotions that are so ridiculous that they could never be voiced explicitly for personal embarassment of whoever was stating them, and I'm sure this is the reason that they remain undercurrents that no less permeate posts on this forum daily.

That there are people who are teenage obsessed with one of the band members and thus spout crazy half-muted statements every so often, that some older board members are snobby because they discovered eisley first or they have had personal contact with the band of some sort, that there are people who through a morbid fascination with the band's image want to gobble up every last detail of their personal lives, all of these things are natural human behaviors, in particular of teenagers.

The irony here is that older board members would reprimand newbies for this behavior when they have themselves displayed all these behaviors in the past...not pin-pointing anyone in particular here and i admit myself to some degree of whatever weird and morbid fascinations I now acknowledge as ridiculous, which leads to my ultimate point that it is natural for people to do these things, and once the aura of restrictiveness is lifted from this forum, people's actual mindsets will self-correct when they realise how silly they are in the first place, or they will just get over their adolescent obsessions in due time.

As far as protecting the band's personal integrity, that is more than anything else the band's responsibility, and the responsibility of those people who presumably are friends of the band and to which they have entrusted private information. I don't shun the fact that moderators here edit and delete posts they find offensive (this is done in all forums), but I do wish that the general environment here would become more relaxed and with a greater sense of irony, humor, and much less political correctness which just serves to cover truly disturbing thoughts and behavior.

I very much agree, and appreciate you taking the time to type that out.
Joined: 22 Sep 2004 | Posts: 196 | Location: Redmond, WA, USA
Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

I think a lot of disagreements about things on the board could be avoided, if people would not try to assume what someone is saying, and then jump down their throat.

It think it is a lesson we all have to learn. If you read a post that hits you weird, or makes you angry, "PM" that person before blasting a reply.

As for things being "too personal", we do tend to be a very open family.
I've always felt that, people are people, and we all have different experiences, and sometimes the same experiences, so I personally tend to be an "open book" personality. Obviously, my kid's are a lot like this too.
It does become more complicated to be that way when your life becomes sooooo public. I think we, (the DuPree's), are learning that there are times, and issues that we just don't want public for many different reasons. ie., Chauntelle has a child, but we will not answer question about this subject, because it really is no ones business, and we would be irresponsible to blast info about a 4 year old on the WWW.
Band member's dating status, (who? is? is not?), is something we will not be posting about anymore, unless one of the band members personally makes the information public.
There will always be things come up that feel kinda "too personal". This community does feel very in touch with this band/family, and we are thankful for that. However, there is a protectiveness (word?) here, that may not be on other band boards.
People feel like they are watching out for their friends....not just people in a band. That's ok too. Everyone just needs to learn a little board etiquette.
1. by using the "PM" feature more often, and 2. understanding that "newbies", are just that....NEW Smile
They have questions, thoughts, excitement, etc. over their new discovery of Eisley.
Do they deserve to have everything they ask answered? Maybe not, but that is what the mods are for.
I should be asleep now, but something woke me up.
I may come back with more thoughts in the morning.
.....trying to figure out how China got into this thread? Confused
g'night all,
k Smile
AdrianA
Sea Post King

Hi Kim! We're online at the same time! Wee! And you're hidden...

Yeah...this is lame...
Silvestre
Golly, Poster

Kimbrtones wrote:
I think a lot of disagreements about things on the board could be avoided, if people would not try to assume what someone is saying, and then jump down their throat.

It think it is a lesson we all have to learn. If you read a post that hits you weird, or makes you angry, "PM" that person before blasting a reply.

As for things being "too personal", we do tend to be a very open family.
I've always felt that, people are people, and we all have different experiences, and sometimes the same experiences, so I personally tend to be an "open book" personality. Obviously, my kid's are a lot like this too.
It does become more complicated to be that way when your life becomes sooooo public. I think we, (the DuPree's), are learning that there are times, and issues that we just don't want public for many different reasons. ie., Chauntelle has a child, but we will not answer question about this subject, because it really is no ones business, and we would be irresponsible to blast info about a 4 year old on the WWW.
Band member's dating status, (who? is? is not?), is something we will not be posting about anymore, unless one of the band members personally makes the information public.
There will always be things come up that feel kinda "too personal". This community does feel very in touch with this band/family, and we are thankful for that. However, there is a protectiveness (word?) here, that may not be on other band boards.
People feel like they are watching out for their friends....not just people in a band. That's ok too. Everyone just needs to learn a little board etiquette.
1. by using the "PM" feature more often, and 2. understanding that "newbies", are just that....NEW Smile
They have questions, thoughts, excitement, etc. over their new discovery of Eisley.
Do they deserve to have everything they ask answered? Maybe not, but that is what the mods are for.
I should be asleep now, but something woke me up.
I may come back with more thoughts in the morning.
g'night all,
k Smile

i agree with whatever you want to do with this matter (not like i'd agree with everything you'd say or do, but in this case, i am supposed to). And it should be like what you've just typed...i think you've just drawn the line, and maybe this thread could be stickied???but we have too much stickies in the blog section already...hahahaha...yeah...it's again Kim to the rescue...
hahahhaa...it was about being communist...ah let's forget China and get over this already:D
let's laugh again, fellow citizens! Very Happy

Sea Post King

i made a comment early about if you want to know what everyones is all upset about and what was said PM me cause i also made a comment on it, because yes it was personal but for newbies i dont want you guys to feel left out in anyway. I think if someone has a personal question it should be delt with by PM anyway. thanks
jdstories
Vintage Newbie

Kimbrtones wrote:
g'night all,
k Smile

It was actually relatively harmless.

Basically, Silvestre and I disagree on whether or not censorship has anything to do with communism. He thinks it does and I think it does not. Then he went on to say that it was all forms of government that he holds this belief about. Correct me if I'm wrong Silvestre.

In his first post on that thread he said that if we were going to begin censoring the board then we might as well become communist. I tried to point out that communism has nothing to do with censorship because it is an economic system, not a form of government. I thought it was the Chinese Oligarchy that was responsible for the censorship. Now that I think about it, I think I made an error in pointing that out. In truth, since governments are essentially contracts with society, governments cannot do anything without the consent of the society. Therefore, societies censor, not governments, and certainly not economic systems.

JD

Last edited by jdstories on Tue May 03, 2005 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>