Laughing City

Do you like music made by "Christian" bands or Christians in a band?
Yes - It helps me with my faith and encourages me
25%
 25%  [ 14 ]
Yes - I'm a christian, but would probably listen to it regardless of my faith.
39%
 39%  [ 22 ]
Yes - I am a non christian and it doesn't bother me at all
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
No - I find it offensive and oppressive to what I believe
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
No - I think it is generally less creative than the secular market and not worth the bother.
21%
 21%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 56

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Simple premise.

I tried to cover most of the angles, but if you feel otherwise, just pipe in.

I said the second one, BTW

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ryan Adams
Golly, Poster

I chose the second one!
Sea Post King

i picked "Yes - It helps me with my faith and encourages me" because it probably best suits what i feel.. if it was extremely christian, like a worship song, and if i wasn't a christian, then i probably wouldn't listen to it.. if it were just christians in a band as eisley it wouldn't bother me and such.. but i do listen to worship music as well because i am a christian because, just like any other song, i listen to stuff depending on my mood and sometimes i'm in the mood for a song about God. lol
robbie
Vintage Newbie

I chose the bottom option.
Joined: 17 Jun 2004 | Posts: 2249 | Location: Kansas City, MO
robbie
Vintage Newbie

although, the question is hard to apply to some bands. Lots of people in bands are christians, but aren't christian bands... my answer mostly applies to christian bands.
Joined: 17 Jun 2004 | Posts: 2249 | Location: Kansas City, MO
post_scriptum
Sea Post King

Yes it helps me with my faith and I think it is generally less creative than the secular market and not worth the bother.
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

I really think it depends.

Bands like Eisley, who are Christians but not a Christian band, I'll gladly listen to and enjoy- regardless that I don't really consider myself Christian.
However, bands that actually sing and create worship music are another story. I don't think it's bad or anything... just, not my style, since there is no way for me to relate for it. Personally, I think it can be a little cheesey sometimes.

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

I tell you this:

One of the biggest worship songs right now is a song called "Blessed Be Your Name". I've always enjoyed it, and sung it as a worship song. But when I saw Newsboys live at the start of the summer, and they played it there was a different sensation to the song. I'ld always sung it as a worship song, but never before as a band's song (if that makes sense). (same as I would sing along to Turin Brakes at a gig) Rather than singing for God, it was as if everyone was singning to praise the Newsboys. Somewhat mad!

I listen to more non-christian artists. As in, artists that don't sing about their faith. But Tim Hughes is very good...

I chose the first option, because I listen to Eisley. Eisley inspire me through their music, only really becuase I start pondering about faith when I listen to them. But it's still a connection Smile

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
Ecouter
Vintage Newbie

Well, the thing is, I believe that every person, Christian or not, has the capacity to create good music. Personally, most of the music I enjoy is highly based on lyrics, and so I picked the first option. A lot of Christian music inspires my faith and my beliefs, or the way I feel, or whatever, and thus, I like it. But the same can be said about a lot of music that isn't "Christian." So, I dunno. Does the label "Christian" matter? Eh. Probably not.
amidthestars
Vintage Newbie

i'm a christian who doesn't listen to much christian music UNLESS it's worship music. as a general rule it seems that christian bands are not very creative and get mired in the trends of the secular world... but worship isn't necessarily about that, at least not for me, so i enjoy that. but i can only think of about 4-5 christian bands that i'll actually listen to and enjoy. the rest either aren't my style (christian hardcore, christian punk, uhh, ew.)
this didn't really apply to christians in bands... i mean, obviously i like eisley, so i'm cool with that too.

so you left out - i'm a christian but i don't really like christian music. (other than worship)

all your kind, they're coming clean
they shut their eyes
their mess, their scene
starbucksgod
Vintage Newbie

i will generally listen to a mix of secualr and christain music... and find both equally good.
antlers
Golly, Poster

i picked the second one because even if i weren't a christian i would still listen to a christian band if they made good music. good music is good music as far as i'm concerned.
when we break, we'll wait for our miracle. god is a place where some holy spectacle lies. when we break, we'll wait for our miracle. god is a place you will wait for the rest of your life. -neutral milk hotel
McKenzies
Vintage Newbie

There's some really good christian stuff out there.
In some cases I think it can strengthen my faith, but not always.
The rock 'n' roll worship circus/listening is amazing.
I think it just depends on the band.
guitargalash
Golly, Poster

I like people who are christian that make music, but I am not a fan of christian alt or rock or whatevr it is. I have a lot of friends that are, but I personally just don't think it sounds right. Then again, I am a sucker for old hymns sung in church. Maybe cos I grew up in a catholic church where the only thing used was a piano and organ or voice. Nowadays with all these instruments and different styles, I dunno just not my bag. BUt kudos to those who do. I believe everyone interprets music differently and has their own taste and ears so yeah. I dunno just dont want to sound mean.
Joined: 26 Apr 2004 | Posts: 879 | Location: Minneapolis, MN
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
shell_843
Sea Post King

Hmm...I'm Christian, but I find it hard to get into Christian music. I can't seem to find a band that I really like. Although I do like to listen to worship songs sometimes. My friend lent me some of her Christian cd's like Jars of Clay but I didn't really like them. Except for one song which was OK. But....eh.