Laughing City
jdstories
Vintage Newbie

UberDrive wrote:
Is that "Dead Zone" tv series related to the novel at all?

I suggest that fans of fantasy/Stephen King/books check out King's so-called magnum opus, the seven book Dark Tower series. It's really nothing like the horror genre King is often pidgeonholed in, although there are a fair share of creepy monsters and whatnot Smile. The DT series combines, like, traditional fantasy, westerns, biblical and mythological references, time travel, theories relating to the structure of the Universe, and modern day New York (and Maine, of course). It's quite the awesome. For further information, I suggest you check out, like, the equivalent of OGG for Eisley, here. Areas of interest include the books (and the crazy roadmap to King's related works , Wiki, and excellent artwork. 'Ware spoilers.

The Dead Zone television series is based off the Stephen King novel.

Stephen King doesn't really deal that much in creepy monsters. His forte is really inner-demons.

JD

UberDrive
Sea Post King

jdstories wrote:
Stephen King doesn't really deal that much in creepy monsters. His forte is really inner-demons.

O rly? Killer clowns? Werespiders? Slow mutants? Vampires?

But certainly, a lot of his work is psychological. In the aforementioned series, characters gradually go insane, overcome drug abuse, break out of brother-induced self esteem problems, and learn to "shoot with their minds".

I wonder if this topic should be moved to general...unless the band has further recommendations Wink?
jdstories
Vintage Newbie

UberDrive wrote:

Trust me, without the psychological aspect, they were all basically harmless, especially the clown. I suppose the dust bunnies in Dolores Claiborne would make your list also?

JD

madsenfan35
Golly, Poster

UberDrive wrote:

I suggest that fans of fantasy/Stephen King/books check out King's so-called magnum opus, the seven book Dark Tower series. It's really nothing like the horror genre King is often pidgeonholed in, although there are a fair share of creepy monsters and whatnot Smile. The DT series combines, like, traditional fantasy, westerns, biblical and mythological references, time travel, theories relating to the structure of the Universe, and modern day New York (and Maine, of course). It's quite the awesome. For further information, I suggest you check out, like, the equivalent of OGG for Eisley, here. Areas of interest include the books (and the crazy roadmap to King's related works , Wiki, and excellent artwork. 'Ware spoilers.

That sounds quite interesting. I shall look into it. And I like that it's not just the regular horror stuff. Because those give me nightmares.

- Dougie Payne, bassist of Travis
================================
http://www.xanga.com/madsenfan35
Joined: 09 Feb 2004 | Posts: 544 | Location: Silverlake, Los Angeles, CA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
UberDrive
Sea Post King

jdstories wrote:
UberDrive wrote:

Trust me, without the psychological aspect, they were all basically harmless, especially the clown. I suppose the dust bunnies in Dolores Claiborne would make your list also?

JD

I own but haven't read Dolores Claiborne Sad.

There's some savage physical trauma inflicted by those fellas, though. And how could I forget the lobstrosities!

madsenfan35 wrote:
That sounds quite interesting. I shall look into it. And I like that it's not just the regular horror stuff. Because those give me nightmares

Yay, a convert. I'm actually not *that* bothered my most of King's stuff, but then again, I haven't read Pet Sematary yet. Btw, is your name a reference to the Ottawa hockey team? If so, all I can say is, 'Go Raaaangers!' Razz
joseph
Lost at Forum

Dead Clown wrote:
Dune
(You'll never look at water the same.)

I liked Dune. It's a heavy story though. I had the same thought about water, as well.

Also, if you read Dune, you'll never look at the desert the same. One has much more appreciation for it. Trust me, I live in a desert.

**the turtle stamp of approval**

www.soulstrum.com
Sherri
Sea Post King

Dead Clown wrote:
Books you must read:
Dune
(You'll never look at water the same.)
Steven King's The Dead Zone
(I already knew the end and the suspense nearly killed me. I reached the halfway point and literally couldn't put it down. I didn't do anything else for hours. I was so relieved when I was finally done 'cause i had never had to pee so much in my life.)
Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke
(Favorite author of all time.)
Anything by HP Lovecraft
(And by that I mean everything by HP Lovecraft.)
Gulliver's Travels

thanks so much. i'll get on it!

My dumb photos for fun.
http://flickr.com/photos/photostoshare1/
A bit of the art...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sherrisink/
Older art...
http://img23.photobucket.com/albums/v68/slitgizzard/ArtWork/
madsenfan35
Golly, Poster

UberDrive wrote:
Btw, is your name a reference to the Ottawa hockey team? If so, all I can say is, 'Go Raaaangers!' Razz

No. My name is in reference to Mark Madsen, who is a basketball player. Formerly of the Lakers, now in the Minnesota Timberwolves. I got my username when he was still on the Lakers. I'm still hoping that eventually L.A. will get him back. Because I sure do miss him.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cgar7
Vintage Newbie

all you Stephen King fans might wanna read "The Straw men " by Michael Marshall after reading the first few chapters i couldn't put this book down. it is one of my favorite books

"Just when you think there's nothing new in the world of the suspense novel, along comes one hell of a nasty spider called The Straw Men. It's brilliantly written and scary as hell." -Stephen King

Quote:
From Publishers Weekly
Marshall's debut thriller, which is essentially two seemingly independent stories that meet in the middle, takes its time hooking readers. But once the complex and disparate plot lines meld, this expansive work demands the readers attention. In Dyersburg, Mont., narrator Ward Hopkins, attempting to make sense of the accident that killed his parents, discovers a note and videotape that lead him to believe their lives (and deaths) were not as they appeared. Meanwhile, the abduction of 14-year-old Sarah Becker renews the search for a serial killer who scalps his victims, embroiders their names into sweaters using their hair and then delivers the clothing to the victims parents. As Ward and his CIA buddy slowly unravel the mystery surrounding Wards parents, FBI agent Nina Baynam and former LAPD homicide detective John Zandt search for the elusive killer. Their paths cross when a series of connections is made between the victims and a bizarre cult known as The Straw Men. Marshall's book is filled with pages of uninterrupted description, which, while compelling, doesn't make for fast reading. But, to borrow a cliche, the devil is in the details. Thats certainly the case with this novel, whose graphic scenes of child abuse and dismemberment depict humankind at its most evil.

Here's the game of grand mistakes while floating with a fan above a nothing.The crowd is ready sides are steady you are clutching my hand, it is hurting
UberDrive
Sea Post King

madsenfan35 wrote:
No. My name is in reference to Mark Madsen, who is a basketball player. Formerly of the Lakers, now in the Minnesota Timberwolves. I got my username when he was still on the Lakers. I'm still hoping that eventually L.A. will get him back. Because I sure do miss him.

Ah. My favorite basketball player is obviously Howard Eisley Very Happy (not really, I don't really follow basketball that much, but hockey on the other hand...).

I also highly recommend George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series, despite having only finish 2 of the 4 books currently out. It's a fantasy setting, but there's a very small amount of actual *magic*. Superficially, it's a "War of the Roses" style power struggle (e.g., two prominent families are the Starks and Lannisters, much like the real Yorks and Lancasters), but it's really much, much more. Martin uses multiple viewpoints to extraordinary effect, with a ridiculously complex, interconnected storyline. I should really read the two most recent books...
madsenfan35
Golly, Poster

UberDrive wrote:

Ah. My favorite basketball player is obviously Howard Eisley Very Happy (not really, I don't really follow basketball that much, but hockey on the other hand...).

I also highly recommend George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series, despite having only finish 2 of the 4 books currently out. It's a fantasy setting, but there's a very small amount of actual *magic*. Superficially, it's a "War of the Roses" style power struggle (e.g., two prominent families are the Starks and Lannisters, much like the real Yorks and Lancasters), but it's really much, much more. Martin uses multiple viewpoints to extraordinary effect, with a ridiculously complex, interconnected storyline. I should really read the two most recent books...

Laughing

My favorite hockey team are the Anaheim Mighty Ducks. But I haven't had time to watch any games lately. I was a bit mad at Paul Kariya (who was my favorite player) for leaving the Ducks and going to Colorado, just because his best friend left the team and he wanted to stay with him. I thought that was rather silly. Especially since it was pretty much his team, and he had been the first person ever picked for the team. And then he just up and left. So that was sad. But we still have J.S. Giguere, so that's good.

Gosh, I need more time to read books for leisure. I'm glad that I'm on winter vacation already. Because that mean I have time to read. But when I go back to school, I never have time. But I'll look into this book as well.

I recommend books by James Michener. I've actually only read one book that was assigned to me for winter vacation homework in my 11th grade U.S. History class (Centennial), and I thought it was amazing. Hardly anybody in that class actually finished the book, because it was over a thousand pages and they were all too lazy. But I was so happy that my teacher had me read it, or else I probably never would have found him. I still need to read his other books. One of my friends has read them and loves them. His books are kind of historical and about different places, such as Hawaii, Chesapeake, Alaska, and Tales of the South Pacific.

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Catcher in the Rye is one of my favorites.

Also, check out Ender's Game. Its great if you are into sci-fi (although, then you probably would have already read it.) Speaker for the Dead was also great. And, I am currently on Xenocide.

My brother gave me a book once, Byzantium I believe it was called. It was great. Probably like 900 pages, but it was so enjoyable. By Stephen Lawhead I believe.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
norad
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Catcher in the Rye is one of my favorites.

YES! it is one of mine as well. and i dont like to read much. but i love that book. some of the quotes i got out of that book are amazing, and so true.
hurrayforpie
Sea Post King

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Also, check out Ender's Game. Its great if you are into sci-fi (although, then you probably would have already read it.) Speaker for the Dead was also great. And, I am currently on Xenocide.

I just read Ender's Game over thanksgiving break. I don't usually go looking for sci-fi, but my friend let me borrow it, and i figured his recommendation was as good as any. It was short and a pretty easy read, but now I really want to read the rest of the series. Are the next books anywhere as good as the first?

Right now I'm reading Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins. I just happened on Villa Incognito a year ago and fell in love with the way he writes.
hurrayforpie
Sea Post King

madsenfan35 wrote:
I recommend books by James Michener. I've actually only read one book that was assigned to me for winter vacation homework in my 11th grade U.S. History class (Centennial), and I thought it was amazing. Hardly anybody in that class actually finished the book, because it was over a thousand pages and they were all too lazy. But I was so happy that my teacher had me read it, or else I probably never would have found him. I still need to read his other books. One of my friends has read them and loves them. His books are kind of historical and about different places, such as Hawaii, Chesapeake, Alaska, and Tales of the South Pacific.

Oh, i didn't see this.
Michener is great. I just read Alaska, and I guess I'll read Chesapeake next, since my mom already has it, but they do take a long time to read.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>