Laughing City
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

SO I guess that this is the kind of time I ask questions, huh.

Was/is Garron homeschooled as well?

(these Qs are all providing background knwoledge and little asides to my RMPS dissertation).

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
Bobo
Sea Post King

Whats the RMPS? Yep, I think Garrons homeschooled for sure and so as Stacy, right?
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

yep.

The RMPS is "A William James anaylsis on the Religious Experience of Eisley". Great fun (that's the question of my paper).

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
parrishdup
Sea Post King

Garron has been homeschooled his entire life. This is not something he started so he could tour with Eisley. He turns in his work online. I am proud of him for keeping up with his lessons as well as maintaining good grades. As you can imagine, that is not the easiest thing to do when you are on tour and up until 3 am.
amestheamazing
Sea Post King

parrishdup wrote:
Garron has been homeschooled his entire life. This is not something he started so he could tour with Eisley. He turns in his work online. I am proud of him for keeping up with his lessons as well as maintaining good grades. As you can imagine, that is not the easiest thing to do when you are on tour and up until 3 am.

Just curious..did you all decide to homeschool your kids at the same time, or for the same reason? I'm homeschooled too, so I like to hear other's stories. Smile

parrishdup
Sea Post King

I won't speak for Kim, but I never really thought that I would be a homeschool mom.

When Madison was ready to go into kindergarden there were some issues in the community with the school she would have gone to so I just decided to keep her home. That was a good year for our family so I thought, maybe another year. By the time she was ready to go into 2nd grade she was reading at a 4th grade level and way ahead in other areas. So I thought I must be doing something right I will start teaching Garron. By that time I was getting ready to have kid #4.

The bottom line is I really liked the results that I was getting. Not just school but more importantly having more time to instill our values. I know that it is not for everyone and I would never suggest it is the only way, but we have a very close family with members that respect, admire, and love each other. And I think that the time spent schooling and being with each other has had a huge impact. Do we have issues? Of course we do, but I would like to think that we are able to see them, and address them, quickly because of the time we have together.

And now I think I would not have done it any other way Smile

BenC
Golly, Poster

parrishdup wrote:

You forgot about the cocaine and groupies Laughing

But i can understand homeschooling, When I was in school our classes were so big it didn't give the teacher time for one on one with individual students that needed it.

Sea Post King

You would think being home schooled your whole life would make you socially retarded, although i went to school and i'm still socially retarded. I agree that the main problem with state school is the size of the classes. I was a good student though and got good grades.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

blue-angel wrote:
You would think being home schooled your whole life would make you socially retarded

That's definitely an assumption many people make. I take great pride in displaying that it doesn't have to be the case. I was homeschooled and took part in many social and extracurricular activities. There are plenty of opportunities for homeschooled kids to interact with others.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jack_stripes
Vintage Newbie

aahhhh, im so excited. im getting pulled out of school on FRIDAY to start homeschooling. i think it'll be awesome. plus, i plan on graduating a year earlier. but thats not my main reason. pray for me!

GODBLESS

-Nicholas

maladroit_me
Lost at Forum

I went to public school and I had a lot of issues and problems and eventually dropped out of school and got my GED, I have definitly considered home schooling any children I have in the future.
Joined: 09 Apr 2005 | Posts: 1299 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Valerie
Lost at Forum

I've never understood the 'homeschooled kids = socially awkward' bit. Well, I guess I can sort of see where you'd come up with that, but I've never ever seen an example to support it. Is that just me? Are there lots of homeschool grads out there who really have trouble interacting? Confused
Joined: 21 Jun 2004 | Posts: 1114 | Location: Indianapolis, IN, USA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
livewirerach
Sea Post King

i remember wanting to be homeschooled so badly when i was in middle school (which i like to refer to as the sheer hatred of life phase) so as not to deal with the social norms and cattiness of girls (i went to an all-girls catholic school). however, once i got over that, it was amazing. i went to one of the best schools in the baltimore area, and got an education and an incredible experience that i wouldn't have changed for the world. if i have children, i'm sure it will totally depend on the situation at hand to determine what sort of schooling my children should have.
OceanMachine
Lost at Forum

I used to know this guy who was homeschooled, and when we were young, he would always try to finish his daily lesson before my school ended. That way he could bring a soccer ball to my school field and kick it around near the window I sat beside. I have to say he made it look like a lot more fun than I'm sure it was.

Of course, by the time my classes ended for the day, he was no longer interested in playing soccer, and I had to find someone else.

Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:
blue-angel wrote:
You would think being home schooled your whole life would make you socially retarded

That's definitely an assumption many people make. I take great pride in displaying that it doesn't have to be the case. I was homeschooled and took part in many social and extracurricular activities. There are plenty of opportunities for homeschooled kids to interact with others.

It's called 'life'. Wink