0%  [ 0 ]
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 7

BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

this poll is for any poker players here, so "what are you talking about?" posts need not apply.

these were my final three hands of a 45 person $5 dollar sit and go just a few minutes ago where i had a chip lead on the bubble, with 5 players left.

1)under the gun, i raise 2x the big blind with jacks, fully expecting just to steal the blinds as play was pretty tight. called by a late position player, blinds fold. flop comes jack, 6, 7 rainbow. i check to slow play, as this was an aggresive player. he bets, i smooth call. turn comes, a king. i decide to bet big here just in case of a draw, 1.5 times the pot, and the player raise all in. i have the best possible hand right now, besides pocket kings, so i call. he's got ace 10, i was correct in my feeling of the draw, but he catches the dang queen and i lose my chip lead.

2)i'm the big blind, and get dealt aces! hey, this might make up for that last hand. but everyone folds, and i just take down the small blind.

3)i'm the small blind, and dealt king queen of hearts. the same player, this time under the gun makes the minimum raise, and i call, leaving us heads up again. flop comes queen of diamonds, 5 of clubs, queen of clubs! high set again, and feel confident that i should be ok with the flush draw! i decide not to slow play this time, and make a 2/3 pot bet. he calls, and on the turn comes a 2 of clubs. i sort of squirm, as he might have caught his draw here. here i admit i made a bad play in general, and pushed all in. if he's still on the draw, he'll fold, and if he already has the flush, oh well i'm out. he calls, and i turn over my set again, and he turns over ace king with one club. the river? do i even have to tell you? ok, 4 of clubs. i'm busted on the bubble to the same guy that caught a 4 card straight over my set. how do you call in that situation? he was only 16% to catch that last club, and not getting the pot odds.

so yeah, i'm steaming, even though it was five bucks lost, but all in all, i probably should have made a lot more (making even 4th would have got me my money back, plus 4 more.)
chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

you should add "the popularity of poker" to your poll.
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

chasd00 wrote:

jerk Laughing

i do feel sorry for any sports fans who want to see some "real" sports on espn (regular, 2, or classic) and find even sometimes 2 of those having a poker game on. not to mention fox sports net, game show network, nbc, or bravo.
Nightmare
Vintage Newbie

chasd00 wrote:

Laughing

The funny thing is that I used to play poker quite a bit and I still don't understand half the things you're talking about.

I don't play at all anymore.

Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 3505 | Location: In your dreams
ryan fisher
Vintage Newbie

and that, dan, is why you never play the $5 sit and gos!
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

ryan fisher wrote:

why not? i'm not going to let bad beats like that stop me from something i have confidence enough in my ability to win in.
ryan fisher
Vintage Newbie

BNROCKS wrote:
ryan fisher wrote:

why not? i'm not going to let bad beats like that stop me from something i have confidence enough in my ability to win in.

the issue is that, at microlimits sit and gos, the quality of play is so bad that it's basically a crapshoot. while your opponent's play in the first hand you mention is reasonably justifiable, his/her play on the third hand is ludicrous. that's why, whenever i want to play low limit games, i play ring games. sit and gos for less than a $30 buy-in just aren't worthwhile (to me, at least).
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

ryan fisher wrote:
BNROCKS wrote:
ryan fisher wrote:

the issue is that, at microlimits sit and gos, the quality of play is so bad that it's basically a crapshoot. while your opponent's play in the first hand you mention is reasonably justifiable, his/her play on the third hand is ludicrous. that's why, whenever i want to play low limit games, i play ring games. sit and gos for less than a $30 buy-in just aren't worthwhile (to me, at least).

hmm, i've actually found more success in the sit and gos than the ring games. from my initial deposit, i was down from the ring games before i decided to try a sit and go, and eventually won my money back from there up until this point, and i'm a tiny bit down.

but how is the first hand justifiable? he's 8% to catch his straight, and an extra 6% to catch top pair before the river. even if he had pot odds there, it's a questionable call. the only way i see it is if he thought i was bluffing, which turned out not to be the case.
ryan fisher
Vintage Newbie

BNROCKS wrote:
ryan fisher wrote:
BNROCKS wrote:
ryan fisher wrote:

hmm, i've actually found more success in the sit and gos than the ring games. from my initial deposit, i was down from the ring games before i decided to try a sit and go, and eventually won my money back from there up until this point, and i'm a tiny bit down.

but how is the first hand justifiable? he's 8% to catch his straight, and an extra 6% to catch top pair before the river. even if he had pot odds there, it's a questionable call. the only way i see it is if he thought i was bluffing, which turned out not to be the case.

your checking and calling didn't show much strength. given your initial raise pre-flop and large bet when the king fell, he probably put you on a weak pair of kings (perhaps kxs). the big question here is how you presented yourself earlier in the tournament. if you tended to act conservatively (as you had earlier in the hand) he probably just wanted to push you off the pot. also, what was his chip count in relation to you and the rest of the table? if he had the lowest count there and you were the highest then his play makes even more sense- again from the perspective of trying to win the pot without a showdown, not to catch some sort of draw. the third hand you posted, however, shows that's he's clearly just a bad player, but being aggressive with a drawing hand is not always an indicator of bad play.
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

ryan fisher wrote:
your checking and calling didn't show much strength. given your initial raise pre-flop and large bet when the king fell, he probably put you on a weak pair of kings (perhaps kxs). the big question here is how you presented yourself earlier in the tournament. if you tended to act conservatively (as you had earlier in the hand) he probably just wanted to push you off the pot. also, what was his chip count in relation to you and the rest of the table? if he had the lowest count there and you were the highest then his play makes even more sense- again from the perspective of trying to win the pot without a showdown, not to catch some sort of draw. the third hand you posted, however, shows that's he's clearly just a bad player, but being aggressive with a drawing hand is not always an indicator of bad play.

good points i had been acting conservatively, i always do in the sit and gos, as it usually gets me into the cash as long as i don't have bad luck. he was about average stack. but even if he was right about me having a weak king pair, i still believe the call on a gut shot is incorrect. i tend to be suspicious of a check, call, and raise, myself, so that factors into why i didn't understand the re-raise at all with what he had.

generally, being aggressive with a drawing hand is not an indicator of a bad play. but putting all of your chips on the line, on the bubble, with only a 14% chance to improve your hand?
ryan fisher
Vintage Newbie

BNROCKS wrote:
good points i had been acting conservatively, i always do in the sit and gos, as it usually gets me into the cash as long as i don't have bad luck. he was about average stack. but even if he was right about me having a weak king pair, i still believe the call on a gut shot is incorrect. i tend to be suspicious of a check, call, and raise, myself, so that factors into why i didn't understand the re-raise at all with what he had.

generally, being aggressive with a drawing hand is not an indicator of a bad play. but putting all of your chips on the line, on the bubble, with only a 14% chance to improve your hand?

again, he's not trying to hit the straight, he's trying to get you out of the hand. or, i should say, a good player would be trying to get you out of the hand Laughing
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

ok, i gotcha.

btw, i challenge you, anytime, to a heads up match if we're somehow in the vicinity of each other.
ryan fisher
Vintage Newbie

BNROCKS wrote:
ok, i gotcha.

btw, i challenge you, anytime, to a heads up match if we're somehow in the vicinity of each other.

you're on!
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Those are all really frustating hands, especially since you had such good cards.

I would have to say #2 is the most frustrating though, to get almost nothing off a great hand.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

what are you talking about?

sorry dan, I just had to say it Wink