Laughing City
Lantz
Vintage Newbie

Melissasingstheblues wrote:
I thought this was a good question. Where's the guy that saw them at the mall? I think he should tell us about Tyler.

haha

Quote:
No one can drive in Tyler. I seriously almost die just about every time I go. Last Sunday, it was a trio of idiots in a big, yellow truck who (like many other Tylerites) felt like it was their right to change lanes suddenly, without signaling or looking.

If I ever feel suicidal, I'll probably just drive on Broadway all day, and it'll end at some point.

i laugh when everyone says tyler has bad traffic. you should try Los Angeles. which brings me to another point: the only reason there are any accidents in LA is because there are too many people, whereas Tyler has bad traffic cause people are idiots down here.

but to stay on subject; Tyler form a Californians perspective:
-the weather completely sucks. in the summer its hot and humid and in the winter its dry and cold. theres never any snow either.
-there are two highschools: the "black" highschool (John Tyler) which was ironically the "white" highschool in the 50s and the predominant "white" highschool (Robert E. Lee)
-almost noone in Tyler even knows about Eisley except the very underground scene kids (thats why the Duprees casually walk through the mall sometimes)
-theres the Arcadia, which is a coffee shop downtown, but most kids hang out at Starbucks which there are three of (one of which is in Barnes & Noble)
-Tyler is known for it's benighted rednecks, but officially its known for their roses.
-basically its a living hell, and i can't wait to move to somewhere even slightly intellectual. but thats just me.

"theres so much beauty it could make you cry"
-Modest Mouse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
golly_sandra
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
No one can drive in Tyler. Laughing I seriously almost die just about every time I go.

Perhaps you should try New York City... or Miami... then go back to Tyler (although I can't really say how bad it is because I've never been there--so I'm also interested in this thread).

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

golly_sandra wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:
No one can drive in Tyler. Laughing I seriously almost die just about every time I go.

Perhaps you should try New York City... or Miami... then go back to Tyler (although I can't really say how bad it is because I've never been there--so I'm also interested in this thread).

Oh no no. I never said it was the worst. The traffic is mostly tolerable (especially compared to those cities), but the intelligence is shockingly low. It's nothing compared to LA, or NY or Miami (which I hear is horrid), but you'd hope people would know better. Confused

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
golly_sandra
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
golly_sandra wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:

Oh no no. I never said it was the worst. The traffic is mostly tolerable (especially compared to those cities), but the intelligence is shockingly low. It's nothing compared to LA, or NY or Miami (which I hear is horrid), but you'd hope people would know better. Confused

Well, okay, Miami isn't that bad... it just depends on what area you're in. Too often enough, though, you'll witness a driver (or a couple) with "shockingly low intelligence" too. I guess it's inevitable. But here, you get a special mix... low intelligence + inability to speak English = a whole lot of trouble.

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

golly_sandra wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:
golly_sandra wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:

Well, okay, Miami isn't that bad... it just depends on what area you're in. Too often enough, though, you'll witness a driver (or a couple) with "shockingly low intelligence" too. I guess it's inevitable. But here, you get a special mix... low intelligence + inability to speak English = a whole lot of trouble.

Laughing

Well, East Texas is stricken with all kinds of poor driving, but I think the worst is in Tyler.

timefades
Sea Post King

golly_sandra wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:
golly_sandra wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:

Hahahahah, thats so true. We drive down to Miami all the time for concerts or to visit people. All I hear on the roads are people cursing each other out in spanish, and I'm just sitting in the car having no clue what thier saying.
treetops12
Vintage Newbie

Lantz wrote:
i laugh when everyone says tyler has bad traffic. you should try Los Angeles. which brings me to another point: the only reason there are any accidents in LA is because there are too many people, whereas Tyler has bad traffic cause people are idiots down here.

but to stay on subject; Tyler form a Californians perspective:
-the weather completely sucks. in the summer its hot and humid and in the winter its dry and cold. theres never any snow either.
-there are two highschools: the "black" highschool (John Tyler) which was ironically the "white" highschool in the 50s and the predominant "white" highschool (Robert E. Lee)
-almost noone in Tyler even knows about Eisley except the very underground scene kids (thats why the Duprees casually walk through the mall sometimes)
-theres the Arcadia, which is a coffee shop downtown, but most kids hang out at Starbucks which there are three of (one of which is in Barnes & Noble)
-Tyler is known for it's benighted rednecks, but officially its known for their roses.
-basically its a living hell, and i can't wait to move to somewhere even slightly intellectual. but thats just me.

That really makes me want to go Laughing

granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

so a handful of you are honestly telling me that you've never thought to yourself
"man, i'm tired of this place, I want to go somewhere else"

that frightens me...how can you stay in one place all the time?
logicalbobcat
Sea Post King

boston drivers are crazy. most of them only stop for pedestrians if they are 99% sure that they're going to hit you. that being said, i'm still moving their for college.
ryan fisher
Vintage Newbie

the first time i ever heard of tyler, texas was on espn when their high school football team won what is often considered to be the greatest high school football game ever. you should read this article; it's pretty interesting:

http://www.tylerpaper.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=13437774&BRD=1994&a mp;amp;amp;PAG=461&dept_id=374749&rfi=6
treetops12
Vintage Newbie

Lantz wrote:

Wait, so the schools are still segregated? Shocked

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

treetops12 wrote:
Lantz wrote:

Well, sort of natural segregation, yes. Sort of. We're talking predominately black or white here, not ALL black or what. Of course, I won't share all of my thoughts on it ... it basically comes down to that black people and white people still don't live in the same areas (economic and social reasons). So they wind up at different high schools. At least that's how that usually works out around here. I'm not 100 percent sure that's Tyler's thing. But it's definitely not some outright segregation law. It's sad that people (everywhere) separate themselves of their own volition, but it happens.

treetops12
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
treetops12 wrote:
Lantz wrote:

Well, sort of natural segregation, yes. Sort of. We're talking predominately black or white here, not ALL black or what. Of course, I won't share all of my thoughts on it ... it basically comes down to that black people and white people still don't live in the same areas (economic and social reasons). So they wind up at different high schools. At least that's how that usually works out around here. I'm not 100 percent sure that's Tyler's thing. But it's definitely not some outright segregation law. It's sad that people (everywhere) separate themselves of their own volition, but it happens.

That's interesting. Here in CA, it's illegal even if the people WANT to be segregated. They'll bus the inner city kids 1 hour away just to mix the schools up.

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
treetops12 wrote:
Lantz wrote:

That's called de facto segrigation. I think it would be wise to consider that it's not always a simple choice. There are banks who will not give loans to certain people because they will bring down the property values.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
Caley
Lost at Forum

treetops12 wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:
treetops12 wrote:
Lantz wrote:

That's interesting. Here in CA, it's illegal even if the people WANT to be segregated. They'll bus the inner city kids 1 hour away just to mix the schools up.

It's really how it is in my town as well. It's sad too because we're growing (the district has already bought land for the fifth or sixth high school already). Here in Mansfield I believe there have been a few articles about how the school board is drawing the lines to segregate the schools, such as the rich white school is Mansfield High (the second school which was built, so that caused a huge blow-up supposedly since Summit was built first and should've been called Mansfield High but wasn't), the economically well black school is Summit, then the ghetto school is Timberview. The newest addition to our school district is going to be know as the white redneck school-- Legacy. And if you looked at all the demographics, you'd see that I'm not lying.

Actually, I think Mansfield was one of the last towns in Texas to end their segregation laws... I'm not 100% sure on that since I moved here three years ago and I haven't really invested a lot of time or effort into learning about the town. So its history doesn't make it look too well, but it is getting better because it's considered the new Arlington since it's growing economically and socially.

So basically that's the big scandal in my town.