Laughing City
Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

Was that a joke about the "unicorns in the forest"?
Because there has never been a song about unicorns written by Eisley.
CaughtOnFilm
Laughing Citizen

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Um, yeah... I never said I wanted the lyrics to be just like Room Noises or whatever. I just said they were about the same, good and bad.

Good:

I could be there for you
Like the Actors
Lady Get Away
Ten Cent Blues

Bad:
Go Away
Combinations
Invasion

Have you heard the finished product all of those songs? I know there are videos out there, but I havent been able to decifer all the lyrics through the bad sound quality.

www.imahuman.tumblr.com
www.isitreallysostrange.wordpress.com
[i spend too much time on the internet, apparently.]

Binary Dragon
Sea Post King

Kimbrtones wrote:

I think it comes from Eisley being referred to as "Unicorn Barbie" (a reference further popularized by Sherri's telling of the story.) Additionally, the presence of such mythical creatures as mermaids (Marvelous Things) and Dragons (They All Surrounded Me, Brightly Wound) furthers the idea of a unicorn (or creature of similar effect) in their lyrics.

Sea Post King

boone wrote:
To be fair...doesn't almost every musician have strengths and weakness?

No, Eisley is perfect Wink
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

Kimbrtones wrote:

It's too bad they haven't.
I think they should write a song about unicorns and barbies and name it "Thanks Rolling Stone Magazine for the song idea."

Wasn't it RS that said they were unicorn barbie pop?
Joined: 31 May 2004 | Posts: 2018 | Location: Sacramento, CA
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

cynlovescandy wrote:
Kimbrtones wrote:

It's too bad they haven't.
I think they should write a song about unicorns and barbies and name it "Thanks Rolling Stone Magazine for the song idea."

Wasn't it RS that said they were unicorn barbie pop?

Indeed, in the review of Marvelous Things, I believe.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

boone wrote:

Thank you Boone, to say that there will be good and bad is not only reasonable, it's also a very logical conclusion.

Why bother making this thread if the only thing it contained was people gushing about how perfect Eisley is?

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CaughtOnFilm
Laughing Citizen

DRMS_7888 wrote:
boone wrote:

Thank you Boone, to say that there will be good and bad is not only reasonable, it's also a very logical conclusion.

Why bother making this thread if the only thing it contained was people gushing about how perfect Eisley is?

I agree that Eisley has weaknesses, but I don't see why I should be put down for not thinking that Eisley has bad lyrics.

www.imahuman.tumblr.com

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Sorry if it came out that way, but you obviously prefer some Eisley lyrics over others. In your mind, there might be good and better, but in my mind there is good and bad.

Opinions are opinions, not a whole lot can be accomplished arguing over the parameters, =)

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CaughtOnFilm
Laughing Citizen

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Sorry if it came out that way, but you obviously prefer some Eisley lyrics over others. In your mind, there might be good and better, but in my mind there is good and bad.

Opinions are opinions, not a whole lot can be accomplished arguing over the parameters, =)

werd.

www.imahuman.tumblr.com

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:

Opinions...yeah.I don't subscribe to this "everyone's opinion is valid" crap. However, I agree with you on this one...kinda. I think the songs you said were 'good' had better lyrics, but I think that the lyrics you said were ‘bad’ were on the cusp of the lower end of the good and upper level of okay.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

Opinions...yeah.I don't subscribe to this "everyone's opinion is valid" crap. However, I agree with you on this one...kinda. I think the songs you said were 'good' had better lyrics, but I think that the lyrics you said were ‘bad’ were on the cusp of the lower end of the good and upper level of okay.

It's a lot easier to call that cusp "mediocre". Wink

Eisley's weakest lyrics are mostly that weak, in my opinion, because Stacy and Sherri were young when they wrote them and hadn't gone out and experienced a lot of things. Hopefully as they mature, their lyric-writing abilities will too.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
Um, yeah... I never said I wanted the lyrics to be just like Room Noises or whatever. I just said they were about the same, good and bad.

Good:
I could be there for you
Like the Actors
Lady Get Away
Ten Cent Blues
Bad:
Go Away
Combinations
Invasion

I see you prefer Stacy.

I won't say anything like that, because I don't know who writes what and how much collaboration goes on...

But, I do think that most Eisley songs fit into two catagories.

Catagory A tends to have much more descriptive, wordy lyrics. Also, the melody tends to be less hook driven and bows itself to the will of the lyrics.

Catagory B tends to have simpler, catchier lyrics (often with lots of repetition). The melody is normally the leader, and the song flows moreso in a traditional pop manner.

Some people hate form and analysis, but I enjoy thinking about things like this.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

DRMS_7888 wrote:

Some people hate form and analysis, but I enjoy thinking about things like this.

I enjoy things I like that...analyzing form and structure. Though I do it more with the vocal and musical aspect of the songs.
RockerChick
Sea Post King

Kimbrtones wrote:

Yes. Laughing Cause I still think the "unicorn barbie rock" thing is hysterical.

It's my favorite fake genre since Southern Culture On The Skids was coined "toe-sucking geek rock." Very Happy