Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
Pantalaimon
Sea Post King

besides, i think that bands earn more money directly, without much of a cut, from selling merch and concert tickets than from selling CDs.

that's why I bought 2 shirts at a concert. :] (well not the only reason Razz)

like others have said, by giving someone a burnt CD, there is a large chance that they will become a fan and go to a concert ($$) and buy merch there ($$).

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

When you pirate a CD like Combinations, you probably hurt WB 90% and Eisley about 10%. Not commenting on whether it's right or wrong, just putting that into perspective.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
When you pirate a CD like Combinations, you probably hurt WB 90% and Eisley about 10%. Not commenting on whether it's right or wrong, just putting that into perspective.

Good point. Right now the only entity making money off of Combinations is Warner Brothers. That one album sale will go towards helping Eisley recoup on Room Noises and Combinations so they can finally start making money off of album sales. On the other hand, like I stated above the guy that got the album for free is liable to go out and buy merchandise and concert tickets, which means that Eisley gets money right away. Unless he decides to stop liking them because their fans refuse to talk to him.

It's a choice between eating dinner tonight and buying a mansion in the south of France someday. An artist on a major label needs to understand that trade-off.

Now, I'm just curious as to whether A) the guy's friend pirated the CD before making a copy for him, and B) the guy would have any idea who Eisley are if his friend didn't give him a copy. Even if A is true, it still means there's one more fan in the world today, and that should be considered a good thing no matter how the album was acquired.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
liquor_up
Sea Post King

When I get paid, I'm going to buy a second copy of Combinations, just because I Love Eisley that much!!!
blor
Sea Post King

I've got 2 copies Very Happy
Sea Post King

liquor_up wrote:
When I get paid, I'm going to buy a second copy of Combinations, just because I Love Eisley that much!!!

You're weird.

But yeah, like people are saying, "stealing" music can definitely be beneficial. For me, unless I know for sure I want something, I'll download it first to see if I like it and if I do, I'll generally go buy it (unfortunately I don't have enough cash to always keep up with this, but hey I'm 18 and I try). I'd just rather know I like something before I go spend money on it. If I didn't download Room Noises (I did buy it soon after though), I know I wouldn't have just went out and bought it so I wouldn't even be listening to Eisley. Downloading music can obviously be abused and it sucks sometimes, but it's also really good for getting yourself out there as a band. If my band ever gets around to recording a decent album, I'll probably leak it myself after a while. Smile
A big thing that frustrates me though is when people go to $5 local shows where the bands don't profit and even though they're REALLY into one of the bands or something, they'll get online and ask their friends to send them the band's cd or whatever rather than buying it at the show. I guess that's sort of getting into a different thing, but yeah. It annoys me.

Joined: 01 Apr 2006 | Posts: 314 | Location: Greetings From Michigan, The Great Lakes State!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rmlawrence
Vintage Newbie

I think it's complicated because stealing music is pretty different from stealing tangible items like CDs.

What it boils down to is legality. The government doesn't care about your good intentions if you're breaking the law. Yes, when you buy a CD you have the right to make a personal copy for yourself. But does that right extend to giving away that copy? If it does, then why is the RIAA going after file sharers and downloaders? I imagine they wouldn't be able to do so if they didn't have legal ground. And maybe they don't... I don't know. When the RIAA demands money from people for downloading, I wonder how many say, "Screw you. Take me to court!" Is there any info about the RIAA taking individuals (as opposed to a company like Napster) to court and winning or losing?

There are a lot of people who like to say that they're not stealing because they're doing XYZ good service (like promoting the band). But that could be based on their own ethical code and not based on US law. Some people don't want to break the law... and that's fine. Some people don't have a problem with it because they think the law is stupid... and that's fine. But you can't try to convince others you're not breaking the law if you really are... despite your intentions.

Perhaps the problem is with the way the laws are written. Maybe it should be OK for us to give music to people who want to try before they buy. But how do you separate those people from people who just want free stuff? My cousin downloads songs just because he doesn't want to pay for them. He has no intention of buying a CD if he likes what he hears, and he's certainly not much of a concert goer.

Finally, there's the argument that because record companies receive the bulk of CD profits, buying a CD hardly helps an artist. I think it is also more complicated than that. Record sales may influence tour lengths and destinations, promotion, videos, or whether or not the band gets a bus. If the album profits are the primary source of income for the record company, then record sales are going to directly impact how the artists are treated by that company. I don't know though. I've never had any involvement with the record industry.

Anyway... as for me... I've downloaded songs and I've shared songs and I've burned CDs for people. I do believe that sharing music can promote a band and help them in the long run. It's worked for me! (I became a fan of Ben Kweller and Ozma by downloading songs.) If that makes me a thief in the legal sense... well... I guess I'm a thief.

I think bands and record companies are catching on though... which is why we get previews of CDs at places like MySpace or on band websites. Now THEY have control of how the music gets delivered to interested parties. Each year I've seen more and more bands have tracks or even the whole CD available to listen to. Of course, it's always low quality and streaming because they do want you to buy the album if you like it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
loveisachemical
Vintage Newbie

This thread made me laugh. HAWcool.
Joshmess
Golly, Poster

SamuraiPunk wrote:
patrock wrote:
He said his friend gave him a copy. That isn't stealing from the owner of the CD. Confused

it's stealing from Eisley.

.... and you dont have anything from the baby,

or a mix cd of any band?... you never had a friend make you a mix cd at all?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
the igonorance motif
Golly, Poster

We've all got a little bit of pirate in us. Few just choose to admit to it.
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

My friend got sued by the RIAA and settled for around $2000.
rmlawrence
Vintage Newbie

the igonorance motif wrote:
We've all got a little bit of pirate in us. Few just choose to admit to it.

I really, really wish I had a parrot.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
rmlawrence
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
My friend got sued by the RIAA and settled for around $2000.

I keep wondering how many people DO go to court and what happens. With legal costs and the possibility that you'll lose... I imagine it's much cheaper to settle. But I'd love to hear about an actual court case. I'm just too lazy to look it up.

keithabbott
Sea Post King

The people getting sued are the ones pirating huge masses of songs. Joe Blow handing out a burned CD isn't going to be worth the RIAA suing. They're looking for big time offenders worth making an example out of.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

If my right to do as I will with what I buy doesn't extend to giving away a copy I burned, it certainly ought to. I've seen warnings against selling copies, but not giving them away.

I think the difference between burning CDs for friends and putting MP3s on BitTorret or KaZaA is quantity. It's impractical to burn a million copies of Combinations and pass them around to random people on the street, but when you've got a digital file it can be passed on to innumerable people. That's one reason the RIAA goes after P2P filesharing rather than people who just burn copies; another reason is that P2P is way easier to track.

The RIAA's legal ground for pursuing individuals is dubious at best. They've tried to sue 80-year-old grandparents whose young relatives have downloaded six songs on their computer while they were over on a weekend visit. They've tried to sue a mother for the actions of her daughter, even though the daughter didn't download any of the songs they claimed she had. In all of the individual proceedings I've heard of, the RIAA have lost. Those cases are probably a matter of public record and could be found if the name of the defendant was known... BoingBoing.net is a good place to look for RIAA-versus-people lawsuits.

If in fact there is some bizarre law against making a copy of an album I bought using a blank CD I bought in order to give it to a friend for free, then I am one of those people who don't have a problem with it because the law is stupid.

It's impossible to separate the people who just want free stuff from the people who honestly want to try before they buy. The industry is trying to draw lines and make music accessible to one group but not the other, and they can't do that. It has to be 100% one way or the other, until they find some way to completely lock up all music everywhere with no possibilities of leaks or ripping it to unprotected MP3s. God willing, that day will never come.

You are right in that record sales influence the way a label treats an artist. But the way a label treats an artist also influences record sales. Promotion and extensive touring helps sell albums, and a record label that sits on its hands without putting together a major push in both those areas will be disappointed by album sales. There are exceptions as well; Brandi Carlile got a tour bus right after she was signed to Columbia. Eisley had to wait much longer.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>