Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

On the topic of self-production, there are some bands who should not be as self-assured that their production skills are so good. And there are some bands that would benefit from other ears.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
It bugs me when people would prefer a band record in a bathtub with a bad microphone. People don't say driving in a hooptie is better than driving in a really nice car. Maybe a band just wants equipment that works and wants to record on nice stuff with a person or two who know how to use it? I see a big difference between that and candied up production.

And it's perfectly reasonable for a band to go out and find a good studio with an engineer that knows what he or she is doing and record their album that way. But it's not okay for a band to fall back on production because they can't actually play their instruments or sing in tune, and that's what I see more often than not. Even if an artist chooses to go all out on the studio, they ought to be able to sound decent on lesser equipment too. That's not elitism or anything--that actually works in an artist's favor, because the less time they have to spend hitting a certain note the more money they save.

As for self-production, you are totally right. Unless a band has extensive production experience they shouldn't try to do it all alone. I did that on my first EP and it really blew; same goes for mixing. A lack of experience makes everything sound bad, so a band or artist should at least ask a friend with experience to help them out if they can't afford a decent studio.

What it all comes down to is money. I am more in love every day with the idea of artists everywhere making albums in home studios, and distributing them via the Internet and services like CDBaby and TuneCore. There would still be a market for producers like Richard among bands that could afford him, and there would be more bands that could afford him because they'd all be able to keep their profits from their last album.

I guess I view the industry like Tyler Durden viewed credit card companies. Laughing I want to see total chaos, everyone fending for themselves.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ribbs
Historical demographic anomaly

I'd say we're getting there fairly quickly - total chaos. Dogs and cats, living together - MASS HYSTERIA!
loveisachemical
Vintage Newbie

I was trying to think of bands that can manage to self-produce and sound awesome. Great example, that many of you know: The Envy Corps. And what about Midlake? I remember reading an interview somewhere that Bamnan took so long because they didn't really know what they were doing, but they worked, and worked until they got the sounds they wanted. The songwriting and arrangement is great, too.

It's definitely possible.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

loveisachemical wrote:
I was trying to think of bands that can manage to self-produce and sound awesome. Great example, that many of you know: The Envy Corps.

I was going to bring that up and completely forgot. Luke recorded Soviet Reunion in some kind of mobile studio thing all on his own, didn't he? And it was impressive as hell.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
loveisachemical
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
loveisachemical wrote:
I was trying to think of bands that can manage to self-produce and sound awesome. Great example, that many of you know: The Envy Corps.

I was going to bring that up and completely forgot. Luke recorded Soviet Reunion in some kind of mobile studio thing all on his own, didn't he? And it was impressive as hell.

Soviet Reunion was basically random rooms and basements. They recorded the I Will Write You Love Letters EP (later renamed Story Problem EP in UK) themselves too. Random places and whatnot. I think they used some different studios for parts of it, but then I remember Scott telling me they recorded the drums in his parents entry way or something?

As far as Dwell, their new release. I suppose Matt (Sound Farm) would be considered a co-producer, but I visited during the recording, and they had so much control over that album. I think they lucked out in either getting an sweet artistic freedom in their contract, or have simply proven themselves to be capable with previous recordings. Probably both.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

loveisachemical wrote:
Saellys wrote:
loveisachemical wrote:

Soviet Reunion was basically random rooms and basements. They recorded the I Will Write You Love Letters EP (later renamed Story Problem EP in UK) themselves too. Random places and whatnot. I think they used some different studios for parts of it, but then I remember Scott telling me they recorded the drums in his parents entry way or something?

As far as Dwell, their new release. I suppose Matt (Sound Farm) would be considered a co-producer, but I visited during the recording, and they had so much control over that album. I think they lucked out in either getting an sweet artistic freedom in their contract, or have simply proven themselves to be capable with previous recordings. Probably both.

That's awesome. I'd say they definitely got both artistic freedom and a label that knows they're capable... Indie labels are more liable to act that way than majors, I expect. Very cool.

Smokemonster
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Ribbs wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
Richard, what do you think about people like Andrew Keen? He basically believes that the internet is destroying professional trades because everyone is stealing professional work and uploading their own amateur work.

Hey thanks for that link - I was not familiar with Andrew Keen before. I think he is right on the money, to answer your question.

It was hard to understand his perspective until I watched most of that google debate, but I did find myself agreeing with lots of what he said, even if I don't practice such nettique.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
rmlawrence
Vintage Newbie

You have to remember that not everyone listens to music for the same reason... or is listening for the same things. I imagine there are plenty of people who prefer the clean, slick, and "perfected" sounds that big production and studios can help deliver. As a result, they do have significant importance.

I don't think I ever really thought about how music can sound until I bought Weezer's album Pinkerton years ago. When I heard it... it sounded different. It sounded rawer and messier than the blue album... and I really, really liked it. It sounded more like what I'd expect to hear if I heard the band live... it sounded more real. However, I'm sure that might not appeal to everybody, especially to people who don't listen to live music regularly.

Somebody mentioned the old, tape recorded version of Lost At Sea. I think it's fantastic. It captures a certain feeling and mood that appeals to me... one that fits the song. But for some people, it would simply sound like somebody singing into a tape recorder.

I don't know. I imagine it's hard for a band to expand their audience and keep the one they have at the same time. You can see it every time a band releases an album.

I've been very impressed with what Midlake has done. I think they've managed to strike a great balance between a clean sound and a real one... particularly on Van Occupanther. Of course, they've put a great deal of time into their albums because they've been forced to; they've had to learn how to be producers, use equipment, and make recording at home sound good. Perhaps not every musician or band is as adept at learning how to record and is more reliant on producers or certain equipment. The band talks at length about recording at home in this article and it's pretty interesting: http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2006/feb/28/midlake-and-em-trials-van- occupantherem/

Anyway, I'm not sure what I'm talking about any more. My brain is tired. It's been a long week.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
gravytrain
Sea Post King

If you're going to use filesharing and CD burning as an excuse for sharing music with friends, you've gotta realize, there's always youtube, pandora, last.fm, etc. for listening to new music legitimately.
gravytrain
Sea Post King

Wow, I just realized how old this thread is...
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

gravytrain wrote:
If you're going to use filesharing and CD burning as an excuse for sharing music with friends, you've gotta realize, there's always youtube, pandora, last.fm, etc. for listening to new music legitimately.

Whoa, how did this get bumped?

Yes, those are all legitimate resources, as are services that let you stream music for a monthly fee. Those only work, however, when you can find the music you want through those channels, and in many cases (foreign bands, independent artists, and the like) that's not possible.

Still other services (Myspace, iTunes song previews) only offer clips of songs or very low-quality versions--far from the ideal way to experience new music and decide whether you want to buy it. Just before Combinations came out, someone from WB put "Many Funerals" on their Myspace. Unfortunately the clip ended about 17 seconds before the end of the song. Who wants to send a friend a link with most of a song?

I maintain that the best way to introduce your friends to new music is by handing them a CD with full length, high-quality songs, be it a mix of different artists or a whole album. And there is absolutely no way that's bad for the artist.

Smokemonster
Ribbs
Historical demographic anomaly

"I maintain that the best way to introduce your friends to new music is by handing them a CD with full length, high-quality songs, be it a mix of different artists or a whole album. And there is absolutely no way that's bad for the artist."

Really? Absolutely no way?

uncreative
Vintage Newbie

I provided some of Eisley's material to about 5 people. 2 of them ended up paying for their albums even after getting them from me. That's 2 more sales that otherwise would not have happened. All 5 of those people will be going with me to the spring tour, and 2 went with me on the MM tour. That's 7 tickets that may not have been sold otherwise.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

uncreative wrote:
I provided some of Eisley's material to about 5 people. 2 of them ended up paying for their albums even after getting them from me. That's 2 more sales that otherwise would not have happened. All 5 of those people will be going with me to the spring tour, and 2 went with me on the MM tour. That's 7 tickets that may not have been sold otherwise.

I'm guessing what Ribb's is getting at is that you could have just bought music for those 5 people as a gift as opposed to copyright infringement.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>