Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
Kappa962
I LIKE KNOBS, FADERS

I'm sure some of you know this, but mixing for broadcast is insanely difficult. It's not just as easy as "turn this up" or "turn that down." Every decision you make in the mix impacts infinitely more things than in a normal mix. I think the guy that mixed it was amazing. Yeah, the guitars weren't loud enough, and the vocals were too dry, but given how crazy difficult broadcast mixing is, I have nothing but respect for that guy.

Also, I have a game plan for making sure that the vocals are way better the next time we do a late night TV show. There are things we can do to make the broadcast mixer's job easier. This was the first time; it was a learning experience for us. We'll keep improving things.
-Mark
gRegor
the gEek

Kappa962 wrote:
Also, I have a game plan for making sure that the vocals are way better the next time we do a late night TV show.

Tracks.

I keed, I keed...

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Kappa962 wrote:
I'm sure some of you know this, but mixing for broadcast is insanely difficult. It's not just as easy as "turn this up" or "turn that down." Every decision you make in the mix impacts infinitely more things than in a normal mix. I think the guy that mixed it was amazing. Yeah, the guitars weren't loud enough, and the vocals were too dry, but given how crazy difficult broadcast mixing is, I have nothing but respect for that guy.

Also, I have a game plan for making sure that the vocals are way better the next time we do a late night TV show. There are things we can do to make the broadcast mixer's job easier. This was the first time; it was a learning experience for us. We'll keep improving things.
-Mark

It did sound really good for live TV.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

gRegor wrote:
Kappa962 wrote:
Also, I have a game plan for making sure that the vocals are way better the next time we do a late night TV show.

Tracks.

I keed, I keed...

I want to see Stacy do the panic jig. Laughing

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
gRegor wrote:
Kappa962 wrote:

Tracks.

I keed, I keed...

And then blame Chauntelle, Garron, and Weston for playing the wrong song. Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

Saellys wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:
gRegor wrote:
Kappa962 wrote:

Tracks.

I keed, I keed...

The distortion squat reaches 1.5 million homes across the country!
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:
gRegor wrote:
Kappa962 wrote:

Tracks.

I keed, I keed...

Then she dates a talentless egomaniac.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
JSL
Sea Post King

Hopefully the Conan show will either pop up on YouTube or I'll have to wait for the rerun. I totally forgot about it on Thursday night.
oliez
Vintage Newbie

JSL wrote:
Hopefully the Conan show will either pop up on YouTube or I'll have to wait for the rerun. I totally forgot about it on Thursday night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq9EdR250gg
JSL
Sea Post King

I'll check it out.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Kappa962 wrote:

-Mark

What exactly makes it difficult? (not doubting, just curious.)

Mixing with crappy TV speakers in mind? Different sort of audio sent through antennas? I have no idea.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JSL
Sea Post King

The band looked a bit nervous but they still turned in a very good performance.
ptah
Sea Post King

Ok, posts by people in the know (sound-wise) have swayed me to think the sound guy did pretty well, all things considered. Like Mark said, it was a learning experience. Next time it'll probably sound much better (not that it was bad this go around).
Now, who's show will they play on next? That is the question....

P.

www.myspace.com/ptah
Kappa962
I LIKE KNOBS, FADERS

DRMS_7888 wrote:
What exactly makes it difficult? (not doubting, just curious.)

Mixing with crappy TV speakers in mind? Different sort of audio sent through antennas? I have no idea.

The main problem with mixing for broadcast is the fact that your output volume has a very narrow range where it can be. If you ever get above digital zero, the limiter will start clamping down, ruining the sound, and you lose your job. If you stay too far away from digital zero the mix is too quiet, and you lose your job. Also, apart from hard limiting/digital clipping, there is all manner of multiband compression on the mix that has to be thought about with every mix decision. I'm sure there are a great deal more things involved, but those are some of the main ones that I am aware of. Basically, there's just an enormous number of things that have to be balanced in your brain simultaneously, and I'm impressed that anyone can do it even remotely well.

The band only did two run-throughs for sound check. I would imagine that if there were time to sound check longer, most of the problems would have been solved. It's really hard to pull a mix together fast, especially when you have so many parts of the audio signal path to think about at the same time. I'm sure many people on this forum have heard me struggling with trying to put a mix together in a small amount of time on shows when Eisley is opening.
greensuburbs
Sea Post King

I enjoyed the rhythmic variations of the vocal melodies.

Vocal harmonies were nice as well. Good performance.

Cool

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>