Laughing City
mister_joseph
Golly, Poster

Not the album, of course. Razz

What I'm wondering if people are tired of is the media attention to non-musical things about Eisley. I mean, I bought the Harp Magazine in part for the article, but was extremely disappointed to see that most of it was about Sherri and Chad and Chauntelle and Adam, and then the old standard Christian discussion, while the overall focus of the piece seemed to be about how nobody talks about the music of Eisley. I was like, umm...ya kinda proved your point here, Trevor! For the record, I actually really admire Mr Kelly's writing, and have enjoyed his work for years, especially when he was with Punk Planet. (He did a nice interview w/Adam a few years ago that I liked).

Anyway, I let that one go. But when I started reading more articles about the band and reviews, those same things came up.

Do you feel that the press has focused on the wrong things w/Combinations? I mean, it's a pretty good record, and I guess maybe I'd like to see more substantial things written about 'em. I know that the band must be tired of all the personal inquiries and focus on private lives.

thoughts?

(someone's seeking an interesting discussion on a slow Wednesday afternoon!)

kimtastic
Sea Post King

There was a fine little review of the album in this month's Paste Magazine that only offhandedly mentioned relationship issues.

But yes, the gossip is so much easier to write about cause it takes no thought...just a passing on of "facts". Actually writing about the music would require effort, and most people aren't willing to do that.
Joined: 28 Jul 2007 | Posts: 103 | Location: Borough of the Greens, NC
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Yeah, it does seem that some of the personal stories behind the music seem to be getting more attention than the music. Sucks because they're a unique band that doesn't follow any trend, and music is sorely low on that at the moment.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

Hopefully the "married/engaged to a rockstar" thing doesn't become as tired as the "family band" angle. I understand that it's a novelty and that people are curious about it, but I feel that it's a really tired angle and that a large majority of write ups do feature their family and private lives more than information about the music they create.
Sea Post King

I agree I guess since we all already know about all of the "behind the music" stuff it gets old. When I tell someone about eisley they are like "isn't that a christian band?" I'd really like to hear more about their writing process or meaning behind the songs. now i just look at eisley articles for the pictures Smile
norad
Vintage Newbie

I don't really pay attention to the press. So....
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:
I don't really pay attention to the press. So....

also, i'm in the UK. SO...

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

Yeah, I thought the same thoughts when I read the HARP article, but its true...that's pretty much the case with any music article now adays. I don't read many, but I read the Spin one with Amy Winehouse, and all it was was talking about how crazy she is...Then again I guess cutting oneself with shards of glass during a photo shoot is slightly more interesting than regurgitation of old soul songs. Razz

I mean, some of that background info is standard for those who are first getting to know the band, and I like the family values....but I agree that their music and the variety/originality with it is the best band quality that doesn't get pushed enough.
redandstripey
Sea Post King

Being in the UK I don't actually have any issues with the media focussing on the wrong things with Eisley. I do however have the problem that I don't see any Eisley in the media. Sigh.
Joined: 08 Aug 2007 | Posts: 158 | Location: Northern Ireland
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

redandstripey wrote:
Being in the UK I don't actually have any issues with the media focussing on the wrong things with Eisley. I do however have the problem that I don't see any Eisley in the media. Sigh.

Tell me that when you got the last two editions of Q (the songwriters and rock editions), you flicked straight to the album reviews... just in case...

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
redandstripey
Sea Post King

mad_sam_purple'ead wrote:
redandstripey wrote:

Tell me that when you got the last two editions of Q (the songwriters and rock editions), you flicked straight to the album reviews... just in case...

Since the album came out I've checked the review section of any music magazine I've seen and... nothing.
Joined: 08 Aug 2007 | Posts: 158 | Location: Northern Ireland
My Blackened Crown
Sea Post King

Who gives a crap?
norad
Vintage Newbie

My Blackened Crown wrote:
Who gives a crap?

Obviously the person who made the thread. Go be a jerk somewhere else.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

They wouldn't write about such things if people weren't interested. The contents of tabloids and magazine articles are merely a reflection of what society wants to read.

Of course, it can also be an examination of the lack of originality on the part of the interviewer. Meeting People is Easy made me realize this.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
thebrightestfirefly
Lost at Forum

redandstripey wrote:
mad_sam_purple'ead wrote:
redandstripey wrote:

Since the album came out I've checked the review section of any music magazine I've seen and... nothing.

Under The Radar did a review of combinations and gave it a 6 out of 10.