Laughing City
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Who is going? And what is the Barrymore Theatre like? I'm going to the Madison instead of the Milwaukee one so I don't have to miss work to go.
Last edited by CUBSWINWORLDSERIES on Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

Somebody make Stacy a "Happy Birthday" sign. Sad

or better yet..."HAPPY BIRTHDAY FROM YOUR MOM!" Smile
musicislove
Golly, Poster

ill be there! so stoked

hi www.myspace.com/musicislove
Joined: 03 Apr 2005 | Posts: 611 | Location: rice lake, wisconsin
norad
Vintage Newbie

Kimbrtones wrote:

I'm giving her a card on the 5th. Smile
oliez
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:
Kimbrtones wrote:

I'm giving her a card on the 5th. Smile

that would be a good idea...for her birthday I'm going to make her sign my lith. No but serisously, now that you all reminded me I might end up getting her something...like a box of Gates BBQ so she can have some good, down home Kansas City...wait. nevermind. I might have to think about this.
amidthestars
Vintage Newbie

holy crap, an actual wisconsin date? this is a first.

all your kind, they're coming clean
they shut their eyes
their mess, their scene
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

amidthestars wrote:
holy crap, an actual wisconsin date? this is a first.

Madison AND Milwaukee (10/7 and 10/8 ) Shocked Shocked
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13973143@N07/sets/72157602317261605/

Above are the photos for me and my wife at the Eisley and Mute Math Show in Madison. We had a wonderful night out. Hope Stacy had an enjoyable birthday. Very nice meeting the band and Boyd.
markclea
Sea Post King

Thanks for the images Cubs (too bad the Cubs got swept this past weekend, eh?). I've been going to the Barrymore at least once a year since about 1991, seeing a variety of acts, and Eisley's set was the best sound I've heard at that place out of all of them. The Barrymore has a tendency to be really boomy, and usually has horrible standing bass waves rolling throughout. I didn't really hear that at all in their set, and that was a pleasant surprise to me.

If there's one other thing that really stood out in Eisley's set to me, it was the fact that the end of Many Funerals was much more dynamically layered and cacophonous at the end of the song in comparison to the record. I thought the live ending sounded just that, a lot more live, and a lot more amazing (in a sense of "how'd they do that?").

Do you remember their set list order at all? I could take a stab at it, but I'm sure I'd goof it up. I think I can remember all the songs they played...
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

markclea wrote:

Do you remember their set list order at all? I could take a stab at it, but I'm sure I'd goof it up. I think I can remember all the songs they played...

The usual plus Tree Tops. Very Happy And No Ten Cent Blues ( Sad here is my blues face)... I think it was pretty much the same set as in Lawrence, KS. I wasn't keeping a running tally, just trying to enjoy the evening. So I think it was Come Clean, Many Funerals, Memories, Go Away, Taking Control, Tree Tops, Telescope Eyes, Golly Sandra, I Could Be There for You, A Sight to Behold, Marvelous Things and Invasion. But I don't think that order is exactly right.

I wanted to get a photo of the set list, or get a copy of it, but I was not right up front by the stage (several people between me and the stage), and after the set I just headed to the back for the meet/greet. But yeah, Eisley sounded very good. A good sound engineer can make even venues that normally sound badly sound good, I guess.

markclea wrote:

If there's one other thing that really stood out in Eisley's set to me, it was the fact that the end of Many Funerals was much more dynamically layered and cacophonous at the end of the song in comparison to the record. I thought the live ending sounded just that, a lot more live, and a lot more amazing (in a sense of "how'd they do that?").

Yeah. I remember being pretty much blown away by the live show the last time I saw them (still was this time, but was expecting more this time). They are definitely an awesome live band, and that is hard to capture entirely in the studio.
markclea
Sea Post King

Actually, I think you're right on with the set list, thanks for that.

My wife and I saw them out in San Francisco about a year and a half ago when they played with Brighten, Fair, and Simon Dawes on the Final Noise tour (they joined in on a couple of Brighten and Fair songs which was really cool). I think I liked this set a bit better than the one out in San Francisco though. It seemed a little more cohesive, it had the "wow" factor for me, and the show left me with the feeling that I wanted to see them again. Well, actually, come to think of it, I guess I felt that same way out in San Francisco--when they played Mr. Pine as the first song, that was the "wow" factor for me, and that made me want to see them again (along with multiple other reasons).

All in all, I think the set at the Barrymore showed a good, natural, progression from a year and a half ago to now. It's pretty neat to see that progression happen, as opposed to little or no progression. Very cool to see them in Wisconsin, regardless.
mermaidentwinedshrubbery
Sea Post King

I'm pretty sure I took the picture of you and the band. Razz
Joined: 10 Jun 2005 | Posts: 192 | Location: Castle Rock, CO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

mermaidentwinedshrubbery wrote:
I'm pretty sure I took the picture of you and the band. Razz

Laughing My piece of junk camera wasn't working right, and you had to hold the button down hard. Piece of junk camera. Laughing Thanks for taking the photo. Smile And thanks to the band for standing there posing while my camera was acting up. Cool So that second one is the one you took, the first one my wife took because when you tried to take it, it wasn't working and then we got the camera to work. All photos I took from the concert are in the above link.

mermaidentwinedshrubbery
Sea Post King

Yeah, you gotta specify with that thing. Press down HARD! Smile

Oh well, I had a fun time making the band smile as long as humanly possible.
Joined: 10 Jun 2005 | Posts: 192 | Location: Castle Rock, CO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nerdcorex0
Sea Post King

Kimbrtones wrote:

or better yet..."HAPPY BIRTHDAY FROM YOUR MOM!" Smile

hahah. had i read this earlier/lived in wisconsin i totally would have

creation is salvation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address