40%  [ 22 ]
Yep, I do
60%
 60%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 55

fueledbyjessica
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:
So for those of you who "aren't interested" in listening to them, I'm interested in knowing why and how much of their music you've heard before. Personally, if I hear a band mentioned a lot but I've never heard any of their music, I'll at least Torrent an album to see what they're like. Seems like a few people in this thread have only heard "Karma Police," which is kind of sad since there are many, many better Radiohead songs. And their sound has changed so many times that if you happen to not like a particular style they play, you can try an album from a few years earlier or later and hear something completely different.

I usually recommend that people start with The Bends. It's a pretty straightforward, accessible melodic rock album that seems likely to appeal to Eisley fans, and also has some of their best songs ever. Tracks three through eight compose one of the best the best twenty-five minute blocks of music ever.

It would also behoove the curious to watch the acoustic set at Le Reservoir. It's a great selection of songs, with some of Thom's best vocal performances, and the intimate atmosphere suits it really well.

It took me a long time to get off my butt and listen to Radiohead when all my friends had been recommending them to me for years, but I was very glad I did.

i think theyre really good, i was just saying the only song ive listened to frequently is Karma Police, but ive heard many more of their songs. theyre good, dont get me wrong, but i just have trouble getting into them. i make a point to listen to them randomly though, just to see if thats the point when ill think "hey, i really like them, i need to listen to them alot" like i did with Bright Eyes, but that just hasnt happened for me yet. idk.

"Baby, breakdown, go ahead and give it to me, breakdown honey, take me through the night, breakdown, now im standin' here, you cant see, breakdown, its all right, its all right..." - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Joined: 15 Aug 2007 | Posts: 257 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

fueledbyjessica wrote:
Saellys wrote:
So for those of you who "aren't interested" in listening to them, I'm interested in knowing why and how much of their music you've heard before. Personally, if I hear a band mentioned a lot but I've never heard any of their music, I'll at least Torrent an album to see what they're like. Seems like a few people in this thread have only heard "Karma Police," which is kind of sad since there are many, many better Radiohead songs. And their sound has changed so many times that if you happen to not like a particular style they play, you can try an album from a few years earlier or later and hear something completely different.

I usually recommend that people start with The Bends. It's a pretty straightforward, accessible melodic rock album that seems likely to appeal to Eisley fans, and also has some of their best songs ever. Tracks three through eight compose one of the best the best twenty-five minute blocks of music ever.

It would also behoove the curious to watch the acoustic set at Le Reservoir. It's a great selection of songs, with some of Thom's best vocal performances, and the intimate atmosphere suits it really well.

It took me a long time to get off my butt and listen to Radiohead when all my friends had been recommending them to me for years, but I was very glad I did.

i think theyre really good, i was just saying the only song ive listened to frequently is Karma Police, but ive heard many more of their songs. theyre good, dont get me wrong, but i just have trouble getting into them. i make a point to listen to them randomly though, just to see if thats the point when ill think "hey, i really like them, i need to listen to them alot" like i did with Bright Eyes, but that just hasnt happened for me yet. idk.

I think that's a good approach. I do that with a lot of music. Waiting for the "right time" for it, to truly get into it.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
norad
Vintage Newbie

I've heard zero of their music. That I know of. I recall a music video of theirs on TV when I was younger when I still watched TV in the living room before elementary school. I have no desire to ever try to listen to them at this point.
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:
I've heard zero of their music. That I know of. I recall a music video of theirs on TV when I was younger when I still watched TV in the living room before elementary school. I have no desire to ever try to listen to them at this point.

Do you think that they can't measure up because all the "hip" people hype them up so much?

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
norad
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
patrock wrote:

Do you think that they can't measure up because all the "hip" people hype them up so much?

No, it has nothing to do with the hype or anything like that. I just don't feel like listening to them.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Not listening to something out of ignorance is fine, everyone does it all the time. I'd be more interested in the people who don't listen to Radiohead out of distaste.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

My brother loves them. I think, for him, it started with a CD called Victor's Got The Bends. It was The Bends, but copied by his good friend Victor. genius title, eh?

I think they're definately a band you have to listen to and relisten to (possibly repeating this process a couple of times) before you get them.

I still don't listen to them. I think it's because of the very fact my brother has all their CDs: i don't know where to begin! I've dipped in and out. I might listen again tonight, but i'm actually getting into Ozzy, through his latest album, which is a bit catchy.

Regardless, i went to see them live last year, and it was quite the incredible thing.

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
jack_stripes
Vintage Newbie

im too impatient to listen to a band like that. I can barely stomach iron and wine, but the amazing lyrics make up for it.
thebrightestfirefly
Lost at Forum

the first Radiohead album i heard was Hail To The Thief (which is still my favourite Radiohead album) when it came out, and i loved it. but than i got OK Computer and Kid A and i didn't like those two albums at all. but now, i love them both. perhaps they're an acquired taste that comes with time and a few good listens.
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

i've heard lots of radiohead songs. it's just not my thing, is all.

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire
oliez
Vintage Newbie

I have ok computer and listen to it from time to time as background music. I can't get into them (yet). I might need to just sit down and force myself to listen. (that might be the reason I don't like them as much. Trying to get yourself to like any album or band isn't worth it).\

I also have Thom's album (which I know is a pretty big departure) and can't get into that either.
Last edited by oliez on Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
norad
Vintage Newbie

My grandparents have Ok Computer. Laughing
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

I think they're one of the few, truly brilliant bands out there. Not one of your everyday, completely contrived, "Oh, I'm so out of the box with my thinking," BS...it's legitimately amazing.
golly andrew
Laughing Citizen

I've so far digested The Bends and about a third of OKC. I'm still trying to figure out Kid A, and I wonder at what point in the day people listen to it, because it usually puts me to sleep.
Joined: 23 Mar 2005 | Posts: 1919 | Location: In a glass case of emotion
amidthestars
Vintage Newbie

Radiohead took me awhile. i heard Karma Police and Fake Plastic Trees and thought, "Well, ok. I guess this is alright?".
but when i actually got OK Computer, i loved it. it's so cohesive as an album, the songs are so approachable and loveable but still unique... they are one of the best bands out there to be able to strike that balance. there's no catering to genre, no catering to the ideals of what a 'rock band' should be. Radiohead is Radiohead, and that's what makes them so great.

Kid A had to grow on me. but there's something about them that's so brilliant.

all your kind, they're coming clean
they shut their eyes
their mess, their scene

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>