40%
 40%  [ 22 ]
Yep, I do
60%
 60%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 55

ohh erosion
Golly, Poster

i've heard some of their stuff, i just can't seem to get into it. not my style. Confused
the things we did
the things you hide
for the record, it's between you and I.
Joined: 10 May 2006 | Posts: 554 | Location: west palm beach, florida
My Blackened Crown
Sea Post King

I remember as a kid seeing the video for Paranoid Android. That video (and song) kicks so much ass!
Dat
Golly, Poster

I do not like them in a box.
I do not like them with a fox.
I do not like them in a house.
I do not like them with a mouse.
I do not like them here or there.
I do not like them anywhere.
I do not like green eggs and ham.
I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

Joined: 15 Jun 2005 | Posts: 578 | Location: San Francisco, CA
france
Golly, Poster

theyre one of those bands that a lot of people say they love just because everyone else does blah blah

their whole new campaign is cool but im so sick of hearing about it

copy cats emerge from your studios

tahruh wrote:
Can we play Twister? PLEASE!! I'm really good. Watch me twist!
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

france wrote:
theyre one of those bands that a lot of people say they love just because everyone else does blah blah

I don't know what kind of hipsters you hang out with, but I've never heard of anyone liking Radiohead "just because everyone else does". I'm pretty sure it's impossible to pretend to like Radiohead when you actually don't.

Where do you get off making statements like that, anyw--oh, wait, you're a troll. Nevermind. For a minute there, I lost myself. Laughing

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tim Kim
Sea Post King

france wrote:

While that isn't what I have seen.... there are certainly kids out there who say they like bands (not necessarily just Radiohead) just for the sake of saying... though its kinda sad.
Joined: 27 Apr 2006 | Posts: 305 | Location: Sacramento, Caluhfournia
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Saellys wrote:
france wrote:

I don't know what kind of hipsters you hang out with, but I've never heard of anyone liking Radiohead "just because everyone else does". I'm pretty sure it's impossible to pretend to like Radiohead when you actually don't.

Where do you get off making statements like that, anyw--oh, wait, you're a troll. Nevermind. For a minute there, I lost myself. Laughing

Ha.

Actually, it's not so common now, but a few years back there were tons of Radiohead hipsters. Radiohead "fans" were so freaking annoying. ha. (It bottomed out when some frat guy put on Kid A ... Discrimination is bad, but I severely dislike frat guys. Laughing ) Or it seemed like there were a lot of fake fans, at least.

But anyway, that segment of fans seem to have moved on. I guess Radiohead's little "break" helped in a lot of ways.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
amidthestars
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
france wrote:

it's true. unless you actually don't listen to them and are just saying you do, it's pretty hard to pretend. i didn't like Kid A for quite awhile, and i was pretty vocal about it.

all your kind, they're coming clean
they shut their eyes
their mess, their scene
kulvir
Laughing Citizen

I am not into them and it is not because I never gave them a try. I liked and listened to ok computer for a good number of months when it came out. Not to mention I have two older siblings who love them and would play them all the time. I have not cared for their music since ok computer and don't care for their earlier albums either.

Sure they are original and interesting but that doesn't matter when you don't enjoy the music.

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
france wrote:

Well of course you wouldn't...do you even hang out with anyone? Wink Laughing Very Happy

I've met plenty of people of who fake liking plenty of things. It's typical conformity; it's no different than general sheepishness because the trends are "atypical." Radiohead was very in for a while, and anyone who was anyone loved them. Now those same people are all about voicing their distaste. There seems to be a surge amongst the whole "thinking for yourself" bit nowadays, and who knows, maybe that will stick, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
Well of course you wouldn't...do you even hang out with anyone? Wink Laughing Very Happy

I've met plenty of people of who fake liking plenty of things. It's typical conformity; it's no different than general sheepishness because the trends are "atypical." Radiohead was very in for a while, and anyone who was anyone loved them. Now those same people are all about voicing their distaste. There seems to be a surge amongst the whole "thinking for yourself" bit nowadays, and who knows, maybe that will stick, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Yeah, from what I've seen the popular thing now is to hate Radiohead for no particular reason. (I'm not accusing anyone in this thread of doing that; you all seem to have perfectly valid reasons.) And God knows that's easier to fake than liking them when you actually don't.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
rmlawrence
Vintage Newbie

I love Radiohead. But I'm not sure if it's because everybody else does. I mean... when I first heard of them I had no friends. And I didn't have the internet to check up on current trends. But they were on MTV... and MTV told me what was cool... and back then I assumed MTV was the equivalent of everyone.

Anyway...

I remember seeing the video for Paranoid Android and thinking it was so wonderfully bizarre. The song was equally good and weird and I thought they worked together so perfectly. I felt compelled to buy the CD based on that one song. Sometimes that backfires and you get a cruddy album with one good song... but not in this case. I thought OK Computer was fantastic and it quickly became one of my favorite albums. I never bothered to check out The Bends or Pablo Honey though.

I didn't hear much about Radiohead after Paranoid Android's heavy play on MTV. I didn't have the internet to keep me informed about the happenings of my favorite bands. Then on my birthday one year... I got a present from a friend of mine. It was Kid A. I didn't even know Radiohead had a new album. That night I took the CD home and listened to it... and the opening track literally gave me chills. I was a bona fide Radiohead fan at that point.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
tahruh wrote:

Yeah, from what I've seen the popular thing now is to hate Radiohead for no particular reason. (I'm not accusing anyone in this thread of doing that; you all seem to have perfectly valid reasons.) And God knows that's easier to fake than liking them when you actually don't.

ditto.

And my two cents about Radiohead: They are amazing.
Joined: 31 May 2004 | Posts: 2018 | Location: Sacramento, CA
crazeemunkeyz
Laughing Citizen

OMG RDIOHED.
SO GUD.
UR STUPID IFF U DON'T LYKE THIMMM!
U JUST DN'T UNDERSTND

just kidding.
my friend gave me ok computer.
it wasn't anything crazy amazing.
it's alright.
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

i bought "Kid A", listened to it a few times, and then, uh, didn't. i still got it, somewhere. to me it just sounds like Radiohead takes what's going on outside of the world of popular music (and i don't mean "underground" — i'm talkin' avant-garde, classical, etc.), waters it down, smoothes it over, and works it into some pretty decent Pop songs. Bjork does the same thing. so did The Beatles. yet, who gets all the acclaim, the artists really doing the innovations, or the ones who simply popularize them? well, i don't think i have to tell you…

oh well…

they really aren't bad Pop songs — some of 'em are even great, though few really appeal to me — i just get kind of fed up with people who are like "Radiohead is the most amazing band ever!!!", because, well, they aren't. to me.

maybe i just need to listen to Kid A again? maybe…
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>