Laughing City
golly andrew
Laughing Citizen

Distant though I am
Orange, gold, and green
Firing, flaming colors around me

For the past 3-4 years I've been under the belief that these lyrics may or may not be a reference to "Hell". I want to believe that the husband in this story somehow did manage to find himself in this place, as it would confirm this song to be a triumph in haunting, romanticized tragedy.

Out of my ignorance, I only recently realized it could be about trees in Autumn, so the dead guy "returns to nature" or whatever but how lame would that be? j/k, still an epic song and my all-time fave by Eisley.

So which is it, fire & brimstone or dying leaves?
Joined: 23 Mar 2005 | Posts: 1919 | Location: In a glass case of emotion
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

golly andrew wrote:
Distant though I am
Orange, gold, and green
Firing, flaming colors around me

For the past 3-4 years I've been under the belief that these lyrics may or may not be a reference to "Hell". I want to believe that the husband in this story somehow did manage to find himself in this place, as it would confirm this song to be a triumph in haunting, romanticized tragedy.

Out of my ignorance, I only recently realized it could be about trees in Autumn, so the dead guy "returns to nature" or whatever but how lame would that be? j/k, still an epic song and my all-time fave by Eisley.

So which is it, fire & brimstone or dying leaves?

I was just wondering where he is.

I always thought the song was about seasons so my guess is Autumn. But I also thought it was funny that it sounds like he's in hell but didn't think that's what it actually was.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
guitargirl
Laughing Citizen

I'd rather think of it as heaven. but that's optimistic me Smile I remember being taught that in heaven there are colors (and all things having to do with the senses) that we simply cannot comprehend in our present state. Lots of room for interpretation.

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
cryptictonight
Lost at Forum

Yeah...I always thought of autumn.
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

This part:
Distant tho I am
orange, gold, and green
firing, flaming, colors surround me

I always thought this was referring back to the beginning of the song:

He was throwing grain into the ground below, ground below
With dreary circles of his arm, going slow, very slow
His cap pulled down roun' his ears to
hide the smile and watery tears

My loving wife is so wonderful
how small seeds gracefully to grow
into musical things that spring from these rows
With their musical names and musical sound

I think the colors being seen are from what grew from what was planted. Possibly perennials such as these:

golly andrew
Laughing Citizen

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
This part:
Distant tho I am
orange, gold, and green
firing, flaming, colors surround me

I always thought this was referring back to the beginning of the song:

I feel that the husband at the bridge is partly confused about his present state. If he knew that he was in his garden, he wouldn't be wondering where he is. (Is he though, I'm not sure.) Also, the total mood change during this part seems to indicate something terribly wrong happened.

The only thing that screws this theory up for me is the mention of "green". (Not that green fires are impossible.)

I'm too far in now. Even if Sherri were to tell me I'm wrong, I wouldn't believe her.
Joined: 23 Mar 2005 | Posts: 1919 | Location: In a glass case of emotion
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

I always thought the husband was trying to reach his wife through the flowers, "I am orange gold and green". I highly doubt it's about hell.

I mean, sowing seeds, and then orange gold and green...flowers seem like the natural progression.

To me, regardless of the story in the song, the main idea is that when people are gone, they live on in our memories.

Or, it could be completely different. I don't really care. It's a good song.
Joined: 31 May 2004 | Posts: 2018 | Location: Sacramento, CA
sleepydusk
Sea Post King

I just thought he was in heaven. I guess it's a personal thing but the description sounds positive to me, like he's in this mysterious place made up of colors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

I never gave it much thought but I always get the impression of the man and lady being the personification of the seasons or the seasons being representative of the passage of time and life of the man and woman or a mix of both. He dies but I don't think he's in hell, just a mysterious place apart from the woman. I have noticed the "flames" part before and joked to myself "Uh oh he's in hell" but have always believed them to be the colors of Autumn. So pretty much what everyone said except the hell part.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX