Laughing City
norad
Vintage Newbie

Well, maybe I'm not picky or anything. I just don't notice it. I don't really care about it. I download it off iTunes and it sounds good to me. The only time I've noticed a quality issues is if I got the song off of project playlist.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:
Well, maybe I'm not picky or anything. I just don't notice it. I don't really care about it. I download it off iTunes and it sounds good to me. The only time I've noticed a quality issues is if I got the song off of project playlist.

I don't think anyone's saying there's anything wrong with that. You and countless millions of iTunes customers don't mind the compression. Heck, people still listen to the radio and that's horrifically bad sound quality.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

patrock wrote:
I've never noticed any quality issues. Sometimes I think people just say that crap to feel cool or something. Smile

If I'm listening with my computer speakers than I can't notice any differences, but when the songs are on my iPod and I'm hearing them through $250 Bose headphones there's absolutely a difference between a 128kbps AAC file and a good 320kbps VBR or V0 MP3. I don't have a CD player either, so ripping my CDs at a high-quality bitrate is the only opportunity I have to hear the music in it's purest form.

Laughing Citizen

Yeah, I notice the difference too in the quality. It sounds more muffled/less dynamic. Digital releases aren't my favorite, but without it, I'm sure we'd be getting less music/releases all together so I'd rather have something than nothing (especially when it comes to singles/EPs).

JBaker wrote:
I think it's safe to assume that the tracklist is exactly:
Like The Actors
Sunfeet
Many Funerals
Invasion

I thought Boyd's made that pretty clear. Confused

Ditto. That's what I got out of that. I have a feeling that no matter the begging, those mystery/stolen/bootleg/whatever tracks are not into consideration anytime soon. Maybe they will write a fresh song in a similar style? But for this release, I'm betting on the above or something very similar.

Edit: OH HEY! MySpace says release date is December 18th....Just in time for the holidays! Wink Laughing
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

I'm glad LTA will be on the new EP. I only recently heard it for the first time on the Combinations DVD. It's a very sophisticated and well crafted piece, and I'm happy that it will be given the "full" treatment.
norad
Vintage Newbie

mikep0922 wrote:
I'm glad LTA will be on the new EP. I only recently heard it for the first time on the Combinations DVD. It's a very sophisticated and well crafted piece, and I'm happy that it will be given the "full" treatment.

It's been up om fansites for a while now.
OceanMachine
Lost at Forum

crazeemunkeyz wrote:
Catey wrote:
I love LTA.

do not be afraid. wrote:
ks1990 wrote:
If only this were getting a physical release.

i know! i don't even consider online releases to be "real" releases at all! the quality is crap, you have to put up with DRM, and i can't listen to them off my computer (because i don't have an MP3 player, because the quality is crap!)

Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:
People who notice are "just listening to the music," too. It's not that there's something wrong with the music, it's that there's something missing. You can look at a badly compressed JPG and see the picture, but it's a better experience to view a high-res, artifact-free image.

Some people really can hear the difference between ~1,000kbps and 128kbps. I'm one of them.

I'm definitely hate image compression but not so much with music. I prefer the higher bitrate just so i can burn it and then rip it at whatever bitrate i prefer to keep music on my computer/ipod. Since there is a limited space on a computer and iPod, I used to keep my songs at 128kbps. However, I did hear the compression on some songs and recently decided to go up to 192kbps. But, I'm not OCD about it like some of you seem to be. Rolling Eyes lol.

OCD = Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

dD_Daz
Sea Post King

This better be a global release... and not US only! Mad

I last saw Eisley: The Fly, London, UK
Joined: 17 May 2006 | Posts: 88 | Location: Bourne, Lincolnshire, UK
Nanook of the North
Sea Post King

Wow, all this talk about music quality and kbps and stuff is making me dizzy. Confused Are you saying that the quality of the songs on Combinations is better than the ones on iTunes?? I'm confused.
Joined: 22 Sep 2007 | Posts: 57 | Location: St. Clair Shores, Michigan
oliez
Vintage Newbie

Nanook of the North wrote:
Wow, all this talk about music quality and kbps and stuff is making me dizzy. Confused Are you saying that the quality of the songs on Combinations is better than the ones on iTunes?? I'm confused.

yes. cd quality is better than what you buy on itunes.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

The audio files on the Combinations CD have about 5-10 times as much data as the audio files that iTunes sells. The data that iTunes files lose are mostly considered erroneous, trimming off specific data at the extremes of the human audible spectrum (somewhere around 20hz-20khz). Some people with more sensitive ears can hear the difference (with speakers accurate enough to represent these less audible spectrums), others can enjoy 128kbps files in bliss.

It's not a superiority issue, it's merely a matter of how sensitive your ears are.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

ok, boyd.
just throw one of those official recordings of Mr Pine on there.
(it's just collecting dust anyway).
Laughing
(and yes i know about the old independant recording and the live iTunes release)

i'm guessing this Sun Feet is the Mike Mogis w/Strings version?
i believe a studio version of Mr Pine was recorded then as well.

or go all new and put Lady of the Wood on there...

or go all out of nowhere and drop a track that even the fanniest* of fans knows not of.

*with fanny packs

oliez
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
Lady of the Wood

how did we forget that one?
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

I got the newsletter. Here's the track list:
• Many Funerals - (Connect Sessions)
• Invasion - (Connect Sessions)
• Sun Feet - (Rob Schnapf version - Room Noises B-side).
• Marsh King's Daughter - (B-Side)
• Like The Actors - (B-Side)

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>