Laughing City

Did you become an Atheist after seeing "The Golden Compass"?
Yes
44%
 44%  [ 13 ]
No
55%
 55%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 29

jack_stripes
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:
unlike lewis, who just wrote the narnia books as stories that have Christian allegory. Lewis didnt go out and write the narnia series to make children believe in God.

that is where i feel you and hannah are wrong to make that statment you guys made.

hmm...Lewis said himself his books weren't allegory. He and Tolkien wrote those stories so that we could have the great stories for our generation. They deliberately rehashed classic stories for the new generations.

sorry for that i keep chiming in here, i really have no opinion on the golden compass, i just don't like seeing lewis compared to pullman. He made the comparison in the first place, didn't he? yeah right...

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

jack_stripes wrote:
mr pine wrote:
unlike lewis, who just wrote the narnia books as stories that have Christian allegory. Lewis didnt go out and write the narnia series to make children believe in God.

that is where i feel you and hannah are wrong to make that statment you guys made.

hmm...Lewis said himself his books weren't allegory. He and Tolkien wrote those stories so that we could have the great stories for our generation. They deliberately rehashed classic stories for the new generations.

sorry for that i keep chiming in here, i really have no opinion on the golden compass, i just don't like seeing lewis compared to pullman. He made the comparison in the first place, didn't he? yeah right...

ok fair enough. i dont want to compare them either. infact one point of my post was you couldnt compare them. because what pullman was the writing books to disprove. lewis wasnt writting books to prove.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

Okay, how about we stop arguing, and the people who think they are going to turn into atheists after watching the movie, just don't see it and don't post in here. Okay? Great!

So who else thinks the movie will be good? Or bad?

norad
Vintage Newbie

Look what you did Kaila. Bad, bad girl. *shakes fist* Wink

I want to see those beautiful blues of Daniel Craig on the big screen again. That's my reason to go.
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

patrock wrote:
Look what you did Kaila. Bad, bad girl. *shakes fist* Wink

I want to see those beautiful blues of Daniel Craig on the big screen again. That's my reason to go.
Hey, I didn't do it, I was just trying to start friendly conversation.

And me too, he's so dreamy Very Happy

I hope the girl in this movie isn't as annoying as the youngest one in the Narnia movie.

norad
Vintage Newbie

kLafied wrote:
I hope the girl in this movie isn't as annoying as the youngest one in the Narnia movie.

And I hope some creepy fawn doesn't try to molest her.
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

Oh, and after reading this book, I really want my own little animal to carry around and talk to. Is that weird? It just seems so nice to have a little bunny or snow leopard to cuddle with and confide in. Plus they protect you...I want one Sad
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:
Kevin87 wrote:

if somebody can be influenced by a fiction book so much to be undermined like that then they don't need to be reading any fiction books. if a parent can't sit and explain to their kid that it's not real, then something's up with that situation.

this statement makes sense. except you are competely wrong.

lets say i wrote a fiction book about the autrocities of nazi death camps and i said "i wrote this book so people would realize how it was" then i would write it in order to get that reaction.

pullman wrote these books to (in his own words) "undermine the basis of Christian belief

he wrote them to make kids stop believeing. and that is the reaction he expects the people to have when they read his books or see the movie.

that was his WHOLE purpose for writing them.

I really couldn't give less of a crap about Pullman's purpose, and I think everyone who cares about what he spouts in interviews is just wasting time. Firstly, the idea that anyone would base an opinion of a literary work off the (admittedly offensive and very wrong) statements of its author is just absurd. Go out and read it yourself, then decide whether you want your kids to do the same.

Secondly, I must reiterate what I stated earlier in this thread: that anyone who is afraid his or her children will reject God because of His Dark Materials clearly has not put enough effort into teaching them properly. It doesn't matter if Pullman says he wants to inspire children to kill God in their own minds; what matters is that your own children are intelligent enough and secure enough in their faith not to do so based on a freaking book. If they are, they can be exposed to all varieties of "dangerous" "secular" "humanist" pop culture and come through it unscathed.

The naiveté of people who strive to avoid things like this is astonishing. They're the same kind of people who listen only to CCM in order to quarantine themselves from all the potentially damaging things in regular music. It's a sign of insecurity; their house is built on sand, as Jesus might put it.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

Saellys wrote:

The naiveté of people who strive to avoid things like this is astonishing. They're the same kind of people who listen only to CCM in order to quarantine themselves from all the potentially damaging things in regular music. It's a sign of insecurity; their house is built on sand, as Jesus might put it.

And the people who won't watch Harry Potter Sad

Mister_Pine
Sea Post King

I don't know everything that was said up there... but since it seems more people that talk about the book LIE about it's ending, i want to share what really happens at the end...

Mad NOBODY KILLS GOD!! Yes, the plan was to kill Him, but the plan failed! The main characters - Lyra and Will - were not going to kill Him. The main evil characters - Asriel and Coulter - were going to but instead, they killed a "mock God".

Seeing this movie and reading the book is not in any way supporting Atheism. I wanted to WAY before i found any of this out and I still want to and I still am. What you say is like saying that I'm a scientologist just because I go see a movie by Tom Cruise.

I don't give a darn what the author believes. It's a FANTASY book and film and I'm going to see it because I like fantasy.

norad
Vintage Newbie

Gosh. This is about a movie. Not religion or whatever. Shut up this stupid argument and talk about the movie...or how hot Daniel Craig's eyes are.
Mister_Pine
Sea Post King

O_o lol... i agree stop arguing.

But one last thing... the thing that bothers me most is that the people spreading the lies are Christian leaders. Confused Makes me wonder if they actually read the book or if they are trying to make everyone hate it. Well, I'm a Christian telling the truth.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:
Gosh. This is about a movie. Not religion or whatever. Shut up this stupid argument and talk about the movie...or how hot Daniel Craig's eyes are.

Mmmmmm.

Mister_Pine wrote:
But one last thing... the thing that bothers me most is that the people spreading the lies are Christian leaders. Confused Makes me wonder if they actually read the book or if they are trying to make everyone hate it. Well, I'm a Christian telling the truth.

I guarantee the vast majority have not read it, and if you ask them why they'll say it's because they don't want to taint themselves. So instead they'll just have no idea what it is they're bashing and boycotting.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
Last edited by Saellys on Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
norad
Vintage Newbie

I HEREBY DECLARE DANIEL CRAIG'S NAME TO BE CHANGED TO DANIEL "MMM" CRAIG!

HUZZAH!
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

kLafied wrote:
I really want my own little animal to carry around and talk to. Is that weird?
Laughing What do you think? Razz

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>