Laughing City
ks1990
Lost at Forum

nevernever wrote:
do not be afraid. wrote:
i voted for The White Stripes, because i think they actually, you know, made a better album!

this isn't a contest that "we" need to "win", it's a poll used to gauge MSNBC.com's reader's opinions — if you truly believe that "Combinations" is the best album on the list, then, absolutely, vote away, and show your support! but, to vote for it just because your an Eisley fan, and are asked to? and to cheat, even? give me a break! what does Eisley have 30% of the vote while everyone else has 7% or less tell MSNBC about Eisley? that they have a very devoted fanbase, with way too much time on their hands — it doesn't actually give them any useful information about their readership, and they'll likely ignore all the votes Eisley has gotten! it'd actually do a lot more good for Eisley to have a .02% lead than a 20%+ lead!

i agree somewhat, but the point is not to vote because we told you to, the point is to vote because Eisley has far less exposure than, say, The White Stripes. we're dealing with a much smaller-time band, here. to get notice on even an MSNBC.com article is a step in the right direction; we're not deluded into thinking we're voting for the Grammies, or something.

it's all about exposure. as fans, we should be supportive of our favorite bands, and more so if they're not as popular.

right on, sista'!
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

nevernever wrote:
i agree somewhat, but the point is not to vote because we told you to, the point is to vote because Eisley has far less exposure than, say, The White Stripes. we're dealing with a much smaller-time band, here. to get notice on even an MSNBC.com article is a step in the right direction; we're not deluded into thinking we're voting for the Grammies, or something.

it's all about exposure. as fans, we should be supportive of our favorite bands, and more so if they're not as popular.

but my point is that it won't, actually, help them — if there were a bunch of MSNBC readers who just so happened to like Eisley enough to vote for them then maybe they'd give them more press, or whatever, but it's clear that there's a concentrated effort to get Eisley to "win", and so they'll likely just ignore the "win", if not toss it out altogether, and give the extra press, or whatever, to artists like Radiohead and Bruce Springsteen who are getting lots of votes, but from actual MSNBC readers, not crazy Eisley fanboys (and girls.)
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

do not be afraid. wrote:
nevernever wrote:

but my point is that it won't, actually, help them — if there were a bunch of MSNBC readers who just so happened to like Eisley enough to vote for them then maybe they'd give them more press, or whatever, but it's clear that there's a concentrated effort to get Eisley to "win", and so they'll likely just ignore the "win", if not toss it out altogether, and give the extra press, or whatever, to artists like Radiohead and Bruce Springsteen who are getting lots of votes, but from actual MSNBC readers, not crazy Eisley fanboys (and girls.)

Agreed. It seems like people are using this poll as an excuse to exercise an itchy voting finger, since Eisley aren't currently involved in any competitions that would actually benefit them if they won. It's great to show your support, but there is absolutely no reason to vote repeatedly and put Eisley ahead by 20% or more. What's the point? It will only be ignored, not only because the margin is way too wide to be a realistic indicator of popularity, but also because this poll doesn't have anything riding on it.

For my part, I'm torn between voting for In Rainbows, Neptune City, and The Story. They were all stronger albums, as a whole, than Combinations IMHO and that's what the poll is asking.

Cue the "ZOMG why don't u support eilsey!!?" responses.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

It's just something to do. Some little sign of support. Jeez. Rolling Eyes

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
nevernever
Laughing Citizen

Saellys wrote:
do not be afraid. wrote:
nevernever wrote:

Agreed. It seems like people are using this poll as an excuse to exercise an itchy voting finger, since Eisley aren't currently involved in any competitions that would actually benefit them if they won. It's great to show your support, but there is absolutely no reason to vote repeatedly and put Eisley ahead by 20% or more. What's the point? It will only be ignored, not only because the margin is way too wide to be a realistic indicator of popularity, but also because this poll doesn't have anything riding on it.

For my part, I'm torn between voting for In Rainbows, Neptune City, and The Story. They were all stronger albums, as a whole, than Combinations IMHO and that's what the poll is asking.

Cue the "ZOMG why don't u support eilsey!!?" responses.

No, I do agree with you guys somewhat. I haven't been repeatedly voting; I voted once, and that's enough for me.

If there's nothing riding on it, what's the point in voting at all? The idea, for most people on the board, I think, is to give Eisley a bit of a leg-up amongst these big names in the industry. Sure, if Eisley wins by like 50%, it'll be obvious there's a huge fan movement behind them. But why would that be a bad thing? It may seem surprising to the people at MSNBC at first, but wouldn't it just show that Eisley has a lot of devoted fans? Especially since you can only vote once!
Joined: 10 Nov 2005 | Posts: 1692 | Location: orange county, ca
Admiral79
Lost at Forum

Saellys wrote:

For my part, I'm torn between voting for In Rainbows... They were all stronger albums, as a whole, than Combinations IMHO and that's what the poll is asking.

Its not like you're biased or anything Razz Personally, I'm finding each new Radiohead album more unlistenable than the next. Give me "Pablo Honey", "The Bends", and "OK Computer." I thought they were going to go back to basics like U2 did. What ever happened to that?
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Admiral79 wrote:
Give me "Pablo Honey"...

Talk about unlistenable! Razz Amnesiac was their zenith, as far as I'm concerned.

nevernever wrote:
If there's nothing riding on it, what's the point in voting at all?

Meh. I like voting, particularly when the polls have options I actually want to vote for. But when it's just a reader poll that doesn't offer some kind of prize to the band with the highest percentage (a featured spot on the front page, maybe, or a sponsorship or something), I'm not going to bother voting more than once.

It looks like things are starting to even out with the results... Maybe some other forums had a voting drive. Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
nevernever
Laughing Citizen

Saellys wrote:
Admiral79 wrote:
Give me "Pablo Honey"...

Talk about unlistenable! Razz Amnesiac was their zenith, as far as I'm concerned.

nevernever wrote:
If there's nothing riding on it, what's the point in voting at all?

Meh. I like voting, particularly when the polls have options I actually want to vote for. But when it's just a reader poll that doesn't offer some kind of prize to the band with the highest percentage (a featured spot on the front page, maybe, or a sponsorship or something), I'm not going to bother voting more than once.

It looks like things are starting to even out with the results... Maybe some other forums had a voting drive. Wink

Like I said, I only voted once. And so did almost everyone else. A couple people were talking about possibly voting twice, but other than that, it's not really a UGO-type thing.
Joined: 10 Nov 2005 | Posts: 1692 | Location: orange county, ca
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

Saellys wrote:
What's the point? It will only be ignored, not only because the margin is way too wide to be a realistic indicator of popularity, but also because this poll doesn't have anything riding on it.

well, i disagree with that: no, it's not a contest, and there's no prize, or anything, and that's why i put "win" in quotations, but, these sorts of polls are meant to help MSNBC.com get a better idea of their readership's point of view on certain issues (in this case, the years "best" albums), and that could effect the way they cover those issues, like, as i said, giving a band who does well more coverage on their site, and that could help Eisley, but, it probably won't anymore, since they'll likely just look at the insane numbers, and toss 'em out altogether!

Admiral79 wrote:
Personally, I'm finding each new Radiohead album more unlistenable than the next. Give me "Pablo Honey", "The Bends", and "OK Computer."

i feel exactly the opposite way! their older stuff is much harder for me to enjoy than their newer stuff, but, i'm weird… i haven't heard "In Rainbows", though, because i'm waiting for the "real" release — is that weird? probably, but, again, i'm weird…
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
Caley
Lost at Forum

I don't see anything wrong with voting for Eisley once and having a 20%+ lead over everyone else. It shows that we are aware of the poll and that we will back Eisley if there's a chance to. No one here said, "You better vote for Eisley or else!" So if you feel like voting for someone else, please, do. But don't imply that everyone else who voted for Eisley were just following orders and don't think for themselves.

And just because nothing's riding on it per se doesn't mean people who see Eisley has an edge won't give Eisley a try. I mean, Combinations did make the list so people know it has to be good. So why not vote for them and advertise a poll that has Eisley on it on an Eisley forum?

mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

did anyone click the link saying the survey is not scientific?

MSNBC wrote:
But MSNBC’s Live Votes are not intended to be a scientific sample of national opinion. Instead, they are part of the same interactive dialogue that takes place in our online chat sessions: a way to share your views on the news with MSNBC writers and editors and with your fellow users. Let us know what you think.

Conclusion: It's just a poll to find out what the readers of the page think! It's not going to be used as anything more than a small insight into the thoughts of the readers of that page!

There's nothing more to be said on this. Methinks...

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Caley wrote:
But don't imply that everyone else who voted for Eisley were just following orders and don't think for themselves.

I don't recall implying anything of the kind.

Voting once is great. Terrific. All you need to do. Voting more than once, as people in this thread have been discussing, is absurd. That's the point I was making. That's all.

Smokemonster
Adam the Human
Sea Post King

Let's all keep one thing in mind: this isn't MSNBC's "official" album-of-the-year poll as compiled by its music editors/staff/whatever--this is one man's opinion (Mark Hirsch) who happens to contribute every now and then to MSNBC's web site, and who, quite obviously, has a ****-on for young, female artists.

Sure it's nice to show support for Eisley, but big corporate web sites like MSNBC.com just employ web-polls to make their readers feel as if they are contributing/interacting and making their voices heard, which is a strategy to increase viewership and therefore increase advertising dollars. They most likely will not even check the results (except for Mark Hirsch, who, once again, obviously has a ****-on for young, female artists).
Adam the Human
Sea Post King

By the by, here's another "best albums of '07" list I just found on MSNBC.com...no mention of Eisley...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22187795/
kulvir
Laughing Citizen

I think voting up Eisley just gave any reader of the article one more reason to wonder who they are and maybe check them out. There is no need to over think this pole.