Laughing City
ks1990
Lost at Forum

I really hope ICBT4U is the next single. Although, it'll probably be Many Funerals, the girls seem to like that song alot.
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

StuartBuck wrote:
I'd vote for "Taking Control" -- to my ears, it's very radio-friendly, and once I listen to it, I can't get it out of my head all day.

I second that, I think it's definitely got the most appeal. Whenever I play Combinations for someone who's never heard Eisley before Taking Control is always their favorite upon first listen; I think it makes a really good first impression of the band.

Sea Post King

Mooncutter wrote:
I second that, I think it's definitely got the most appeal. Whenever I play Combinations for someone who's never heard Eisley before Taking Control is always their favorite upon first listen; I think it makes a really good first impression of the band.
To follow up, here are some of the things that I think make this a catchy, memorable, and radio-friendly song:

It leaps right into a catchy hook, with an interesting texture (bass guitar, lightly strummed acoustic guitar, and some percussion that sounds like a bass drum, shakers and a tambourine).

Then after 21 seconds or so, the texture changes dramatically ("And you won't take it") -- some distortion on the guitar, some keyboard sweetening it up.

Then a nice bridge that starts out with Staci and Sherri humming a variant of the chorus; then the instruments back off for the most part and we hear mainly the drums, bass, and a keyboard line (with a bit of acoustic strumming in the background).

I also like the complete pause in the instruments that is heard right before the final rendition of the chorus.

And I especially like the way it ends -- with Sherri singing the chorus one more time while Stacy sings the bridge at the same time. Instruments here have backed way off, and consist of a piano boom-chuck line and the tambourine. Very cool way to end the song.

All in all, what I'm saying is that I really like the variety of instrumental, rhythmic, and vocal textures (even polyphony!) that are used throughout this song. Add to that the fact that every melody in the song is an earworm, and you've got the perfect song that will catch and hold people's attention. Which would make it a good single, IMHO.
Last edited by StuartBuck on Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

I'm betting on Many Funerals.
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.
treetops12
Vintage Newbie

Taking Control and Go Away are the most radio-friendly. The lyrics are simple and repetitive and will get stuck in the general public's heads. And while I love ICBTFY a million times more, I can't see it being a single.
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

ASTB! It's ' drive time.'
jabberjaw_04
Golly, Poster

Mooncutter wrote:
StuartBuck wrote:
I'd vote for "Taking Control" -- to my ears, it's very radio-friendly, and once I listen to it, I can't get it out of my head all day.

Yeah Taking Control would be very good. I also tthnk that ICBT4U would be good.There's something about ICBT4U that would catch people's attention, plus imagine what kind of video that song would have.
starbucksgod
Vintage Newbie

thinking taking control as well
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

starbucksgod wrote:
thinking taking control as well

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

I don't think Taking Control would work as well simply because

1. dual melodies in the chorus
2. more than one set of lyrics for the chorus

Nothing against the song really, Go Away would just be a more successful single IMO.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
I don't think Taking Control would work as well simply because

1. dual melodies in the chorus
2. more than one set of lyrics for the chorus

Nothing against the song really, Go Away would just be a more successful single IMO.

Oh, I think it will work...against them. Go Away all the way!

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere