Laughing City
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Mystic210 wrote:
As a reply to the last few comments:

1) Whether I "should" or "shouldn't," I do feel bad listening to and talking about the tracks for the reasons listed above. However, I just wanted to echo that "Aristocrats," the Mainframe, and Lady Get Away are awesome. Not that several people raving about the songs will change the hard feelings, but if there's even a chance they could be finished, I would be estatic.

2) Most artists don't really self produced. I kind of understand why, but not fully. Even Eisley is credited with "producing" at least one song on each official releases they've had (except one EP and not counting the online only releases...I'm assuming they "produced" the EP1/EP2 songs). What's the difference between doing that and a full album? (Not necessarily suggesting anything, this is a geniune question.) Either way it does seem like the best people who "get" Eisley, is themselves.

I don't think anyone should feel bad for listening to them. That's silly, at least at this point. They're out, any damage is done. It happens. I just didn't want to gloss over why it was bad that this happened in the first place.

As far as self-production, the more I think -- while I think they need a heavier hand in it -- that they really do need to continue to work with outside influence. They are a learning band, and every album will ideally inch closer to what they really are. They've been around a while, but that was still only their second true stab at an album. People (even here) have talked enough about the declining quality of audio production. Putting less seasoned ears and heads behind consoles will only worsen that. They have all of the pieces, but they're still getting them put together. If No. 3 is as big of an improvement on Combinations as Combinations was on Room Noises, they are going to be in really great shape. They also have given no indication that the songs from these demos should be considered dead, as they have mentioned for much older songs in the past.

Combinations has a distinct vision, and they only picked 10 songs for it. So there were obviously going to be some great songs overlooked. We should definitely all cheer for our favorites (since we've heard them), and hopefully they'll consider tossing these back into the mix ... if they haven't already.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
norad
Vintage Newbie

Mystic210 wrote:
Aristocrats

Aristicats* Smile
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

No love for Before?
Vintage Newbie

Mooncutter wrote:
No love for Before?

i'll give love, i think that one is amazing also, very Fleetwood Mac, it's good stuff.
oh! we can't forget My Cup of Tea, either...

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
sleepydusk
Sea Post King

My Cup of Tea is amazing. I don't like Before much. Aristicats is pretty good. I love The Mainframe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

I've never heard these songs before, and I'm not sure if this is too much to ask, or anything like that, but can anyone make out the lyrics? I enjoy reading lyrics, haha.
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

Kylee Janai wrote:
I've never heard these songs before, and I'm not sure if this is too much to ask, or anything like that, but can anyone make out the lyrics? I enjoy reading lyrics, haha.

I have a good part of the lyrics for most songs and I'd be willing to post them if Jamie thinks it's allowed; I'd love to have people try to fill in some blanks.

Vintage Newbie

Mooncutter wrote:
Kylee Janai wrote:

I have a good part of the lyrics for most songs and I'd be willing to post them if Jamie thinks it's allowed; I'd love to have people try to fill in some blanks.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what would be cool and not. If you can share, that'd be great. Smile
kathymunster
Golly, Poster

Mooncutter wrote:
Kylee Janai wrote:

the lyrics are so hard to figure out in some places, like in Lady Get Away after the first few verses, ithe only thing i recognize is "hold up" and then the rest is sort of jumbled together, and then the "nuh nuh nuh" part.
but that would be cool if you could post some lyrics up.
i somewhat have most of the lyrics for the Mainframe figured out.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

What's interesting with the Stacy songs is that you have the genisis of possibility two distinct albums:

1. you've got a electronic beat/Bjork type record with songs like; Lady Get Away, The Mainframe, Aristicats (who knows the real spelling, they could be referring to the Disney film?).

I don't think these songs would work well as Eisley songs, at least it is hard to picture and they seem near perfect in this format.

2. you've got songs that are somewhat like Rubber Soul era Beatles; Before and My Cup of Tea.

The songs that did end up being recorded for Combinations do seem a lot stronger after band involvement and studio recording (in agreement with Jamie here), so that is probably why they ended up being chosen. Now the tracks that didn't make Combinations, especially the Bjork-ish tracks, are so tied to those arrangements I don't know if a band/studio version would really enhance them.

Last edited by bigideas on Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

I like "The Mainframe" alot, has a trip-hop sound to it. "Lady Get Away" is good too. I've never heard "Aristocats," "Before" or "My Cup of Tea" Crying or Very sad . Are they as complete as "The Mainframe?"

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

Nowhere Man wrote:
I like "The Mainframe" alot, has a trip-hop sound to it. "Lady Get Away" is good too. I've never heard "Aristocats," "Before" or "My Cup of Tea" Crying or Very sad . Are they as complete as "The Mainframe?"

Out of the three I'd say "My Cup of Tea" is the least finished, but the other two are pretty thoroughly done, but not quiiiite at the level that "The Mainframe" is.

And I agree, I think these songs are a bit too un-Eisley to ever become Eisley songs, but that doesn't mean they're anything short of fantastic. I'm just waiting on Jamie's word to post lyrics up in here.

Protocol Droid

Mooncutter wrote:
Nowhere Man wrote:

Out of the three I'd say "My Cup of Tea" is the least finished, but the other two are pretty thoroughly done, but not quiiiite at the level that "The Mainframe" is.

And I agree, I think these songs are a bit too un-Eisley to ever become Eisley songs, but that doesn't mean they're anything short of fantastic. I'm just waiting on Jamie's word to post lyrics up in here.

You know, I've been thinking about this ... it's not really my call. Maybe Kim or Boyd could answer? Maybe I can find out soon, too. But I don't really feel like it's my right to say that. Sorry. Confused But hopefully we can have an answer soon.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Mooncutter wrote:
Out of the three I'd say "My Cup of Tea" is the least finished.

I'm wondering if the song is meant to fade out over that coda or she just wasn't finished with the song yet?

i love the "hoax, even a lie" line.

Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

bigideas wrote:
Mooncutter wrote:
Out of the three I'd say "My Cup of Tea" is the least finished.

I'm wondering if the song is meant to fade out over that coda or she just wasn't finished with the song yet?

i love the "hoax, even a lie" line.

It seems like she wasn't done to me. She's so unbelievably clever, though. I love it. I think one of my all-time favorite Eisley lines is from that song: "And I was surely sure I'd never fall for you / 'Cause you were such a catch I was sure we'd never match, it's true"