Laughing City
StuartBuck
Sea Post King

So I was searching to see if anyone had discussed Anberlin, and I came across this old thread where someone happened to mention that band. The real point of the thread, though, was that several regulars (including theenvycorps!) were criticizing Room Noises for bad production. People liked the early versions of "Telescope Eyes" or "I Wasn't Prepared" from the EPs, and didn't like the way those songs were changed on the album.

For what it's worth, my experience is just the opposite. I first heard Room Noises back in 2005. And I absolutely love it -- off the top of my head, I can't think of anything I'd change about the production, except that I would have used a Steinway grand on the intro to Brightly Wound (touring with a Steinway would be a bit difficult, but why use a tinny imitation-piano sound when you're in the studio?)

Now, I got a used copy of the Laughing City EP (the version with 5 songs on it), and just listened to it a few minutes ago for the first time. I didn't like it very much! To my ears, Telescope Eyes sounded wrong -- too plodding, the guitar solo on the intro and the bridge was wrong, the lyrics for the second verse were wrong, the ending was a fadeout of the chorus rather than "you humor me today." Same for "I Wasn't Prepared" -- too slow, there were a few tiny spots where the vocals were a little rougher than on Room Noises, the instrumentation sounded more sparse.

But if I had heard the EP first, I'd probably have thought that those songs were screwed up on Room Noises. I'd have thought, "Wait, this is too fast, it sounds way too chirpy now; this production is too overdone and too sweetened up; I don't like that new guitar line."

So then it occurred to me: People just get used to whatever version of the song that they heard FIRST, and that they grew to love. If you've listened to one version 100 times, then when you hear a different version, it can't help sounding wrong. It reminds me of a wonderful C.S. Lewis essay (I think it was from The Weight of Glory) where he points out that he didn't like cigars when he first tried them, because he had gotten used to cigarettes (which were originally just small imitations of cigars), and that he didn't like a real orchestra when he first heard it, because he had gotten used to the sound of primitive LPs.

Anyway, I guess the moral is, if there's more than one version of the same song out there, people who get used to one version will think the other version is "wrong."
ks1990
Lost at Forum

I guess you're kinda right. I am used to the RN versions. However, I still have respect for the earlier versions.
Anarr
Sea Post King

i think marvelous things is better on the marvelous things EP...but i dont think the room noises version is "wrong"

but there are other bands that remade songs after five years, and it sounded "wrong" to me, because i was so used to the earlier recording...

but i can deffinately relate to the "this sounds really off/wrong" thing.

[flickr] http://www.flickr.com/photos/artache
[last.fm] http://www.last.fm/user/owlslikeus/
[livejournal] http://anarr.livejournal.com
[myspace] http://www.myspace.com/kkthnxby
TheAntrider wrote:
I'm inspired to quit doing drugs. So inspired that I will start doing drugs just so I can quit them!

sootandstars
Sea Post King

Yeah, I definitely agree with what you're saying. It's kind of not fair to criticize other versions as much as people do because it's just down to a matter of personal preference. I think this thread can be applied to a lot of things in life.

For some odd reason, I'm able to pick out what I like from two versions and love them equally for different reasons. But I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I probably have a preference to what I heard first.

Look each other in the eye
dont_panic
Vintage Newbie

i'd say that's true 90% of the time. for example, my favorite version of telescope eyes is actually the one from EP1, which was the third version i'd heard.

i think it really depends on your personal aesthetic, as well. some people just enjoy rougher production values, which is more evident in the older recordings.

oliez
Vintage Newbie

dont_panic wrote:
i'd say that's true 90% of the time. for example, my favorite version of telescope eyes is actually the one from EP1, which was the third version i'd heard.

that's the version of Telescope Eyes I'm sure people were talking about. Hardly anyone prefers the Laughing City version of the song.
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Anarr wrote:
i think marvelous things is better on the marvelous things EP...but i dont think the room noises version is "wrong"

Huh?
They're the same version...

Mylovelyislostatsea
Sea Post King

I like the Room Noises version of IWP, but i like the old Telescope eyes so much more than the Room Noises version.
ks1990
Lost at Forum

JBaker wrote:
Anarr wrote:

Huh?

Yeah i thought both Marvelous Things versions were the same too. They are right?

I also can't really distinguish between I wasn't prepared on the Laughing City EP, to the one on Room Noises. They sound the same to me. Smile
treetops12
Vintage Newbie

ks1990 wrote:
JBaker wrote:
Anarr wrote:

Huh?

Yeah i thought both Marvelous Things versions were the same too. They are right?

I thought they were different. Can someone who knows for sure clear this up?

Anarr
Sea Post King

treetops12 wrote:
ks1990 wrote:
JBaker wrote:
Anarr wrote:

Huh?

they are deffinately different....
i mean, the lyrics are the same and i believe the speed is the same...but the vocals are different.

[flickr] http://www.flickr.com/photos/artache
[last.fm] http://www.last.fm/user/owlslikeus/
[livejournal] http://anarr.livejournal.com
[myspace] http://www.myspace.com/kkthnxby
TheAntrider wrote:
I'm inspired to quit doing drugs. So inspired that I will start doing drugs just so I can quit them!

JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Anarr wrote:
treetops12 wrote:
ks1990 wrote:
JBaker wrote:
Anarr wrote:

Huh?

they are deffinately different....
i mean, the lyrics are the same and i believe the speed is the same...but the vocals are different.

No... they're the same.

Both produced and recorded by Aaron Sprinkle.
The mix, done by JR McNeely on the EP and Jerry Finn on the album, is very slightly different.

oliez
Vintage Newbie

The only difference with Marvelous Things are the mixes. I prefer the MT ep version. The rhodes it stronger and gives, I think, a more of the (older) "eisley" feeling. Didn't they just record new drum sections for the Room Noises version?
StuartBuck
Sea Post King

I should clarify -- what I didn't like about the Laughing City EP were Telescope Eyes and I Wasn't Prepared. The other songs were great, because I wasn't used to any different version of them.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I agree with much of the first post. I think that is often the case, even if it is very unintentional.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address