Laughing City
StuartBuck
Sea Post King

Here's a very long and (to me) informative article about the future of the music business and the role of touring: http://www.american.com/archive/2008/march-april-magazine-contents/the -show-must-go-on

Some interesting tidbits:
Quote:
CD sales have dropped 25 percent since 2000 and digital downloads haven’t picked up the slack. As layoffs swept the major labels this winter, many industry veterans turned their attention to the concert business, pinning their hopes on live performances as a way to bolster their bottom line.

Concerts might be a short-term fix. As one national concert promoter says, “The road is where the money is.” But in the long run, the music business can’t depend on concert tours for a simple, biological reason: the huge tour profits that have been generated in the last few decades have come from performers who are in their 40s, 50s, and 60s. As these artists get older, they’re unlikely to be replaced, because the industry isn’t investing in new talent development.

And this:

Quote:
When the fall semester starts at Middle Tennessee State University, about 40 minutes southeast of Nashville, professor Rich Barnet always asks students in his recording-industry classes, “How many of you listen to traditional radio?” Usually, one or two hands out of 35 go up—but sometimes none—says Barnet, coauthor of the book This Business of Concert Promotion and Touring.

Most major promoters don’t know how to capture young people’s interest and translate it into ticket sales, he says. It’s not that his students don’t listen to music, but that they seek to discover it online, from friends, or via virtual buzz. They’ll go out to clubs and hear bands, but they rarely attend big arena concerts. Promoters typically spend 40 percent to 50 percent of their promotional budgets on radio and newspaper advertising, Barnet says. “High school and college students—what percentage of tickets do they buy? And you’re spending most of your advertising dollars on media that don’t even focus on those demographics.” Conversely, the readers and listeners of traditional media are perfect for high-grossing heritage tours. As long as tickets sell for those events, promoters won’t have to change their approach, Barnet says. Heritage acts also tend to sell more CDs, says Pollstar’s Bongiovanni. “Your average Rod Stewart fan is more likely to walk into a record store, if they can find one, than your average Fall Out Boy fan.”

Yet in the current climate, managers like Fall Out Boy’s McLynn know not to depend on old delivery systems. “You have to look at radio and MTV as gravy,” he says. “It can take you to the next level, but a lot of bands can have good careers without going there. These days, with the lack of record sales, it’s the bands that do tour and have that fan base that are the ones that are going to last as artists. Everyone else is going to have to get jobs.”
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Interesting stuff. I do believe touring is the only foolproof way to get new fans and keep old ones. I got kind of weirded out when Boyd blogged about the fact that Eisley is receiving absolutely no tour support from WB this time around--they're carrying all the expenses. I can understand that for a band that's just starting out, but that shouldn't be the case for a band signed to a major label.

What those excerpts don't mention is that touring takes a helluva lot of talent, something an awful lot of signed and radio-played bands don't have. If you attempt to go out on the road but your singer can't hold a tune or your guitarist can't really play, people will figure that out fast and stop supporting you. Recording technology can make the suckiest of bands sound great, but unless they lip-synch the road will expose them real fast.

Also, yay for the MTSU recording program. I'll probably be in one of Mr. Barnet's classes later this year.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
StuartBuck
Sea Post King

On that point:

A few years back, I was chatting with a guy who happened to be a producer in Nashville (my sister in Nashville was friends with him). He said that it's amazing how many people will say that they are a singer, but if you say, "Hey, can you sing something right here," they'll immediately start coughing and pretending that they're sick and they'll just say, "Oh, not right now, but here's my demo CD, listen to that."

And since the rise of YouTube, I've gotten to hear how a lot of bands sound live. The ratio of bands that sound good live to those that sound good in the studio is depressingly low.
sonya
Sea Post King

I completely agree with these statements. I haven't heard/seen a whole lot of bands that I thought were good live. I always notice that the singing is pretty terrible, or the guitar is out of tune. And not in a good, Neil Young sort of way.
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

The 'Doors,' were like that. Great in the studio, terrible live. Even discounting Miami!
em-tucky
Sea Post King

I only read the snippets you highlighted, but I got a kick out of the fact that one of my college professors from MTSU, Rich Barnett, was quoted/interviewed. I took two classes with him, Concert Promotion and Advanced Concert Promotion. I really learned a lot from him and actually got my first job from the Advance class, but it didn't last too long and I decided that the Music Biz wasn't really going to allow me a solid living. My Music Business degree is now a nice piece of useless artwork Confused
ZenArtist
Golly, Poster

if you're looking for a solid living try the army. the music business is more like a free for all for hustlers to my understanding.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

ZenArtist wrote:
if you're looking for a solid living try the army.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Rolling Eyes

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ZenArtist
Golly, Poster

well with the exception of the possibility of being blown apart in a war, they do give you a pretty stable paycheck or so i hear, if you serve enough they'll pay for your retirement, and they'll pay for your education.

*not an expert on the army.
em-tucky
Sea Post King

ZenArtist wrote:
if you're looking for a solid living try the army. the music business is more like a free for all for hustlers to my understanding.

you're pretty much right. All anyone is concerned with is making a buck, and most people will do anything to do so no matter who they scam. If you like covering for other people's deceit and lies, then by all means go into the music business.

I would never do the Army either, but that's just me, I have no desire, nevermind they probably wouldn't want me.

Solid industries are (of course) teaching, human resources, computer technology, business administration...
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

ZenArtist wrote:
the music business is more like a free for all for hustlers to my understanding.
And that's one of the biggest reasons I LOVE Eisley and the DuPrees. They are the very antithesis of that!
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

ZenArtist wrote:
well with the exception of the possibility of being blown apart in a war, they do give you a pretty stable paycheck or so i hear, if you serve enough they'll pay for your retirement, and they'll pay for your education.

All branches of the military do that, but "the possibility of being blown apart in a war" kind of outweighs the benefits.

Smokemonster
Rb
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:
ZenArtist wrote:

All branches of the military do that, but "the possibility of being blown apart in a war" kind of outweighs the benefits.

and the best part of it all is that it isnt ever advertised, it is always oh hey look at all of these benefits! oh did i forget to mention death? nahh that doesn't deserve a topic.
Joined: 08 Jan 2008 | Posts: 464 | Location: San Francisco, CA
woman4life
Golly, Poster

I know in our area there are two things I've noticed - well two major things:

1. Bands that come here often do better here for the most part. There are bigger names that are exceptions, but the loyal fans tend to be most loyal if you actually perform here more than once. That means sometimes a band doesn't do as well here in the beginning, but if they keep coming, they will gather a fan base.

2. I cannot stress enough the importance of fan interaction. You can get fans, even lots of them, without much interaction, but the bands that keep in touch with fans, meet them, and build relationships have more a more loyal fan base. You can have a bad cd, a less than stellar performance, but if you are real people to your fans, then then will give you another chance. Otherwise, they will be on to the next band. No one stays on top forever.

Just my observations.

--Melanie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Rb wrote:
Saellys wrote:
ZenArtist wrote:

and the best part of it all is that it isnt ever advertised, it is always oh hey look at all of these benefits! oh did i forget to mention death? nahh that doesn't deserve a topic.

The best Army commercial I've seen was the one where the camera pans to a bunch of punkish-looking kids squatting on the floor and the announcer says "Don't follow the crowd." That's the whole point of the army! If you don't want to 'follow the crowd' the last organization you should join is the army.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere