Laughing City
boyd
Eisleyoid

Thanks: Dallas Observer...for everything; very well done; very well attended (1000 tickets were sold out and I was told there were way more people there - counting guest lists and staff, etc). It was great seeing freinds and meeting new people. So, here are random words/reflections about the night...

Not that it makes any difference, but...the band was totally not focused on nominations and awards. Several band members actually didn't understand they'd been nominated for anything. They just thought..."oh, we get to do a show in the ballroom; that's cool."

Amusing to me -Stacy was worried about that red carpet....( you know, like an aisle of red carpet bordered by those velvety noodles connect the chrome poles leading up to a little stage at the front/side of the ballroom.

Stacy: "dad, what is that red carpet for?"
me: "...uh, I guess that's....like...uhh, you walk down it if you win something?"
Stacy: "I don't understand, are we nominated for something?
me: "uhh....(duhh)...yes, didn't you know?....that's what this is all about...an awards thing"
Stacy:"what were we nominated for?"
me: "umm,...I don't remember...but, it's something..."
Stacy: "But...that red carpet...I don't like it..."
me: "why?"
Stacy: (grins) "I just don't like it...that's evil...there's no way...we're not walking down that red carpet" (stacy and sherri laugh; chant: "die, red carpet...evil...no!..."

Anyway...it was a fun night for several reasons, (well, ok...winning "best new act" was unexpected and encouraging) but also...oh, and if you want to hear perhaps one of the best reviews they'll ever get (well, on this planet), read what Zac Crane (music editor) said about the band and the evening:

http://www.dallasobserver.com/issues/2003-04-17/feature.html/5/index.h tml

continuing:
It wasn't like most indie rock shows since there were awards for "best r&b" and "best country" and "best metal" etc. ...I kept thinking - as a band, how do you connect with such a diverse, eclectic culture? You've got people deep into the Dallas Music scene mingling with head bangers, cowboys (with hats), bleached blondes in tight black leather skirts, young and old, suits and jeans, singer/songwriters and Flaminco fans. I wasn't sure if anyone would "GET" eisley.

I was wrong, as usual. But, that shouldn't be subject to my interpretation. If you were there, you saw and experienced. If any person should be immune, it's me, right? But, holding the video camera, I was often spellbound; the new songs were captivating.

Next subject:

ENTER: (drum roll crecendo's...) Matt Bishop and Chris Carr
- our new tour manager/front of house (sound and production) and highly trained, diverse, equally qualified to do all - guitar tech. Chris is still in LA, but Matt took opportunity to boiserously administrate his virgin MIX (a maiden voyage in one of many, masterful mixes to come) for the band. There were a few problems to work on at the DMA this week but

Matt, hired by Nettwerk for brings to the table (board) broad experience covering seval roles. Many of you know him - he was TM for "by the Tree" and most recently "Flickerstick"...but he mixes for tons of bands in all the clubs in Deep Ellum and is known for being, "the best". (Ask the guys in Radiant)

Chris Carr. gosh; we've known him for years...like a big brother to the kids. He played guitar with 7Channels, did all kinds of stuff for them including but not limited to tour managing, sound/production, guitar teching, etc.

Both of these guys are extremely focused, skilled, have great values/morals, are very protective (big tall guys who will watch out for the girls while on the road), they're natural managers, have great ears, minds...are very cool and...what's more, people like them - friendly and loveable. It's a great team. We're going to have fun.

They'll be with us at Coachella and on the Coldplay tour...and beyond.

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists