Laughing City
lookingXglass
Golly, Poster

http://www.3dhardwoods.com/CUSTOM.html

That's the link to his(tod d agostino's) custom guitar web page. If the link doesn't work for some reason, then do this: go to google.com, search 'tod d agostino larose' , and click the first link...it should be the first. Regardless of that, just know it's 3dhardwoods.com. He has some really nice guitars on there Smile
Joined: 28 Dec 2007 | Posts: 807 | Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

What happened to Sheri's skye-blue f-hole tele.

There's something about a girl with a telecaster... Maybe not exotic, but nothing sounds like it.
LaRose Guitars
Sea Post King

I've heard you guys are looking for some info about me and my Gitfiddles...so feel free, fire away!
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

LaRose Guitars wrote:
I've heard you guys are looking for some info about me and my Gitfiddles...so feel free, fire away!

1. What other lucky musicians play LaRose axes?

2. Are there any shops that stock your stunning works of art?

3. Do you use your powers for good, or for awesome?

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dannychair
Golly, Poster

Saellys wrote:

Are you some kind of robot?

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

Hi Tod, thanks for stopping by! A few questions I have:

1) What's your background in the music industry leading up to LaRose? Just in general, like were you in a band or a producer or a luthier at another company?

2) Am I seeing the pictures correctly on 3dhardwoods.com, it appears on some guitars the strings attach to pegs drilled into the body? Or are those holes?

3) Regarding the guitars you made for Eisley, do they have a model name? Are they equipped with dual humbuckers, and what kind of neck?

Thanks for spending some time with us here. Cool

LaRose Guitars
Sea Post King

Very Happy
Last edited by LaRose Guitars on Fri May 30, 2008 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
LaRose Guitars
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:
LaRose Guitars wrote:

1. What other lucky musicians play LaRose axes?

2. Are there any shops that stock your stunning works of art?

There are a few bands, no one as worthy as Eisley though.

I used to stock guitars in some stores around the area ( that is N. England)....my interest changed though and so did the entire building approach, therefore as of now I do not stock. I am interested more in working with musicians on on one....well I want to let them to create what they desire.

Powers eh?.....I have to say awesome!! =P

LaRose Guitars
Sea Post King

grain thrower wrote:
Hi Tod, thanks for stopping by! A few questions I have:

1) What's your background in the music industry leading up to LaRose? Just in general, like were you in a band or a producer or a luthier at another company?

2) Am I seeing the pictures correctly on 3dhardwoods.com, it appears on some guitars the strings attach to pegs drilled into the body? Or are those holes?

3) Regarding the guitars you made for Eisley, do they have a model name? Are they equipped with dual humbuckers, and what kind of neck?

Thanks for spending some time with us here. Cool
Thanks for the hospitality and sorry for the delay in response.

Well I am a guitar player and have played in many local acts around here for years and loved the guitar since I was a wee little fellow. The first one I built was when I was 12. I made it out of plywood and fishing line...it was'nt much but.. Man I looked like a rockstar in the mirrior! HA.! Anyways as time went on I kinda fell into guitar building. I worked for company that is well known through out the world and when I was there worked and built guitars for a ton of well known musicians...to name a few Josh Homme(queens of the stone age), Frank Black, Lyle Workman and many others.

Those old models, which I havent produced in years, have strings through the body...those are holes on top with a steel grommet to protect the top.

The model name is The "77". named after the best year ever!...1977...the year I was born and Star Wars was released! HA!...The pickups are custom wound by an incredible Luthier and pickup builder. Sherri's guitar has 2 single coils in a humbucker housing and man do they sound fat! Big tone. Chauntelle's had the same neck pickup as Sherri's but I put a Humbucker in the bridge to give her a little more bite and edge....The Neck on Chauntelle's is White Limba w/ a brazilian rosewood fretboard, Sherri's is African Mahogany with a Gaboon ebony fretboard.

Hey guys feel free to question me on anything....I am eager to share...=P

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

Hi Todd, hey thanks for all the details! You should take a look at the photo Boyd just posted in the journal section showing Chauntelle playing her LaRose...oh nevermind, here it is:

That's a color & quilting combo I covet. Cool

LaRose Guitars wrote:

Those old models, which I havent produced in years, have strings through the body...those are holes on top with a steel grommet to protect the top.

Aha, although I don't build guitars, I play them and didn't think pegging strings into the body would be a good idea! Jump around, your fist comes down in the wrong spot, and *SNAP*!! Surprised

I hadn't heard of White Limba and found that Gibson used it starting in the '50s when initiating the Flying V and Explorer. Similar to mahogany with a touch more resonance one site says. Also rather hard to come by, no surprise really that your 'ingredients' match the same standard as the appearance.

1977 was a great year, good call! In his next 'digital enhancement,' Lucas should have the cantina band playing a LaRose. Waiting for Eisley to cover that song. Laughing

I'd be interested to know how many guitars your company made in 2007 and if your business plan includes a goal to stock them in retail shops someday?

LaRose Guitars
Sea Post King

Yeah that pic.....just perfect!

White limba is one of the best tonewoods I have discovered. It is way more resonant than the majority of commonly used woods. The key is choosing the right piece. In my experience the lighter the better...weight that is. Hard to come by...yes...but what do ya know I have a enough to build a many...many instruments!!!

As for the Lucas thing....dreams...ahh...dreams Laughing

2007 huh? Well I actually didn't build any instruments that whole year. I had shut down shop for reasons of a personal nature.....I lost my inspiration for a while. Chauntelle's and Sherri's are the first guitars I have built since oct 2006. I guess they inspired me. So now a new shop is open and currently taking orders. As for stocking them in stores....I guess that would be nice , but I kinda like to work one on one with the customer, build relationships and guitars....its not about money and I don't think everyone should play these instruments, the guitars are special and made with heart and soul. Each one is personally handcrafted from start to finish by yours truly...I am the company. Mass production guitars serve a purpose but thats not my goal. I want to make the player (you) love the guitar...make it truly yours with defining characteristics that no one has. Very Happy

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

I've been meaning to get back to this post, Todd. That's what flooding and the Euro Cup will do, knocks ya completely off schedule.

That's impressive, i was figuring you had a couple people helping you out, maybe one guy who does necks and another guy who is a hardware guru - that you make all your guitars by yourself, well that's impressive. If Eisley's theme is "a special kind of music for you," it looks like yours could be "a special kind of guitar for you," in which case you & Eisley match up very well! Obviously I don't speak for them, but your business ethic appears to fit in right with their approach, no surprise you're a fan! Very Happy Great that they inspired you to get your craft going again, the new Sherri axe is looking mighty sweet. [Homer voice]Mmm, white limba...[/Homer voice]

<< prev | goto page