Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>

Will the Cubs win the World Series in 2008?
Yes
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
No
84%
 84%  [ 45 ]
Total Votes : 53

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

BNROCKS wrote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/powerranking

They almost have this ranking down, Cubs. Wink

Again, Red Sox 9th to 2nd... Astros 4th to 12th... White Sox 14th to 4th???

Anyway, all will be forgiven when they realize that the Sox would kick the Cubs lovable losing asses.

Cubs #1 and Red Sox #2? Seems about right. Wink On the other hand, White Sox #4. What are these ESPN freaks smoking?
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

Giants #29. Yeah, they're not last place!! Pretty sad that #28, 29, and 30 are all NL West teams...
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

7 of 9 Cubs starting tonight have a batting average of .300 or higher at the start of play this evening (Ryan Theriot, Derrek Lee, Aramis Ramirez, Kosuke Fukudome, Geovany Soto, Mark DeRosa, and Carlos Zambrano). Not included on that list, starting tonight, are Alfonso Soriano (.279) who started out the season cold but has been steadily bringing his average up over the last month or so (up over 100 points from where it was); and Reed Johnson (.261). Nice lineup, Lou! GO CUBS!!!

TheAntrider wrote:

I am a huge fan of the DH, unless you want to inflate pitching stats. I think it's silly to have one guy come up every few innings who I could hit better than.

Did I mention that Carlos Zambrano is hitting over .300? Very Happy

EDIT: I mention above how great the Cubs are doing with hitting this year, and of course that means they could hardly buy a freaking hit tonight. But they pulled it out, scored a run in the bottom or the 9th, and another in the 10th to win 2-1 over the Dodgers. Nice winning hit, Soriano! Smile
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

tied for best record in the majors.

pulled an extra innings comback, due in part, to what cubs said, good solid hitting.

the cubs are playing good ball this year. it is nice to see.

oh and i may have said it before, but ill say it again. I really like wood better as a closer than a starter. even if he blows it like he did the other day with the pirates.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
Admiral79
Lost at Forum

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
Yesterday, The Cubs signed Jim Edmonds (four-time All-Star and eight-time Gold Glove Award winner) to a 2008 contract to play center field, and sent Pie to Triple-A Iowa. Not sure how I feel about this move, as Edmonds was on the DL earlier this season and is off to a slow start (and played for The Cardinals 2000 - 2007 Laughing ).

I'm still heart broken, especially after that catch he made in Houston. At least if the Cubs do manage to win the World Series though there will be a silver lining for me. I just hope Jimmy doesn't do that well. And I pray he doesn't have a World Series winning hit or catch that he will always be remembered for.
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

I think he is doing great considering the cubs paid 300,000 for him.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
But I disdain the wild card. It has done little but make teams who take the first half of the season off into champions over teams who do things right (generally).

Cubs currently have the best record in baseball. Cardinals currently have the second best record in the National League, but are in the same division as The Cubs. This is the exact sort of thing that the Wild Card is there for. So you would contend that a team with a .582 winning percentage (the current case for St. Louis) does not deserve to make the playoffs, but a team in a weak division who backs in because they lead their division does deserve to go? This is why the Wild Card is needed. In 2005, San Diego got into the playoffs with an 82-80 record because they won their division. What did the Wild Card team (Houston) have? 89-73. I contend that Houston (the Wild Card) deserved to be in the playoffs there more than San Diego did.
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Are there still any doubters out there? Cubs had an amazing comeback today, down 8-0, then down 9-1. Cubs win 10-9. HOLY COW! Nice to see them snap victory from the jaws of defeat, even when their starter had a bad day. Go Cubs!

Admiral79 wrote:
I just hope Jimmy doesn't do that well.

Jim came up big today! Three for four, with a home run, a double, 2 runs scored, and 3 RBIs. Very Happy

Heres the video of Jim hitting a home run, for your pleasure... Laughing http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200805302799171
gundamit
Golly, Poster

Wow. Cubs have the best record in baseball at the end of May with 1 left to play. Not too late to get on the Cubs bandwagon? I'll bet there is still plenty of room. Laughing
Vintage Newbie

gundamit wrote:
Wow. Cubs have the best record in baseball at the end of May with 1 left to play. Not too late to get on the Cubs bandwagon? I'll bet there is still plenty of room. Laughing

Better to get on at the end of May than in mid-September. Welcome to the CWWS2008 express! Smile
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

They are on a roll. Now this road stint will be a good time for them to prove that they are what we all think they are.

They are not doing so well on the road, but great at the friendly confines

wilsmith wrote:

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:
They are on a roll. Now this road stint will be a good time for them to prove that they are what we all think they are.

They are not doing so well on the road, but great at the friendly confines

We will see. 10-13 on the road this year, 26-8 at home. They're going to need to win .500 on the road over the course of the season, most likely. Especially considering they have 58 more road games and 47 more home games. Hopefully they can win 5 out of 7 on this West Coast trip, and go from there. SD and LAD both under .500 (and not any better at home). Cubs need to play well and win most of these.
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Pitcher Carlos Zambrano gave up 3 runs in the first, but the Cubs battled back to win the game, 7-6 for their 8th win in a row. Almost gave it up in the 9th, but Kerry Wood came in to save it. Zambrano continues to not only pitch well (7 wins, 1 loss, 4th best ERA in the major leagues), but hit well (had 3 hits, including an RBI triple, he is hitting .366 on the season).
Edmonds, another great game, with a pair of RBI doubles. Bet San Diego wishes they gave him a little longer to get hot before releasing him, especially now that he came back to help in beating them.

GO CUBS!!
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

Zambrano clutch hitter?

Didn't he go three for three last night?

wilsmith wrote:

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Cubs won 9 in a row, before they lost last night to the San Diego Padres. But I didn't think they would win all the games on this road trip (just thought 5 of 7), so they still have a good shot at that. They won 2 of 3 against the Padres, and are on to play the LA Dodgers for 4. Just 2 1/2 games ahead of St. Louis and 6 games ahead of Milwaukee. But still in first place, so that's good.

The Cubs entered June with the best record in the major leagues for the first time since 1908, the last year they won the World Series.

The Cubs have started 26-8 at home, which hasn't happened since 1918 (a year they went to the World Series).

http://pantagraph.com/articles/2008/06/02/sportsextra/doc48431a5080e6c 286627395.txt

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2008/06/01/sportsextra/doc484364e32 acdb447732600.txt

GO CUBS!

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>