Laughing City
lazerbith
Sea Post King

StuartBuck wrote:
Deas Vail. One of my favorite bands -- great melodic hooks, soaring tenor vocals (one of the best tenors in the business, IMO), and incredible live performances. And I think they've talked to Eisley about touring before . . . . I'd love to see that be a reality.

http://www.myspace.com/deasvail

deas vail.
i just saw them play in my teeny town quite randomly. i have quite the picky ears and they perked mine. sorta reminded me of being back in highschool, but it was a good thing. they're one of those bands who sound just as good live as they do on recordings, and the tiny frontman has a big stage presence and SUPER controlled good voice. better version of copeland.

my ideal tour.

1. lampshade
http://www.lampshade.dk/lampshade

2. midlake

3. eisley
GoHabsGo
Sea Post King

Well I would like to see Eisley with Nine inch nails but hey it's just a dream cause they are my favorite band, Just imagine sherri and stacy singing hurt or something I can never have Waaa!!!!
but, With death cab for cutie would be cool,metric ,the shins, radiohead AND Arcade fire!!!!!

Hockey+Music=LIFE
redboots
Sea Post King

The Polyphonic Spree. That would be the best concert ever!!!!!!!!!
Joined: 30 May 2008 | Posts: 309 | Location: above the tree tops
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

I think The Peekers from Shreveport would make a great opener for Eisley.
Not similar, but original, fun and similarly hard to categorize.

VERY underrated.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

They should do some kind of U.K./Europe tour with Laura Marling.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ghost in the snow
Golly, Poster

Saellys wrote:

Man, I would love to see them tour with her, but over in the states. She's playing NYC next month but it's 21 plus :/
StuartBuck
Sea Post King

lazerbith wrote:
tiny frontman has a big stage presence and SUPER controlled good voice. better version of copeland.

Two thoughts that come to mind:

1. That's an understatement . . . I like Copeland on recordings, but their live clips on YouTube are very unimpressive. Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kDJexJJ9kw&feature=related The singer is off-pitch so much in the first 30 seconds, plus weak on the high notes, that I can't finish listening to it. But I've seen Deas Vail twice in concert, and Wes Blaylock is never off pitch, never quavery, etc.

2. A lot of singers (Bono and George Michael do this) leave out some of the high notes so as to save their voice. Wes Blaylock of Deas Vail is the only vocalist that I've ever seen who sometimes alters the melodies so that he's hitting a higher note in concert than on the recording. (I've heard him hit F-sharp an octave and a half above middle C.)

WindFromTheOcean
Golly, Poster

ghost in the snow wrote:
Saellys wrote:

Man, I would love to see them tour with her, but over in the states. She's playing NYC next month but it's 21 plus :/

welll perhaps someday.. why not?! Wink

"As an artist... I feel that we must try many things - but above all, we must dare to fail. You must have the courage to be bad - to be willing to risk everything to really express it all..."
Joined: 16 Aug 2007 | Posts: 948 | Location: Cebu Rock City, Philippines baby!!
guitargirl
Laughing Citizen

StuartBuck wrote:
lazerbith wrote:
tiny frontman has a big stage presence and SUPER controlled good voice. better version of copeland.

Two thoughts that come to mind:

1. That's an understatement . . . I like Copeland on recordings, but their live clips on YouTube are very unimpressive. Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kDJexJJ9kw&feature=related The singer is off-pitch so much in the first 30 seconds, plus weak on the high notes, that I can't finish listening to it. But I've seen Deas Vail twice in concert, and Wes Blaylock is never off pitch, never quavery, etc.

2. A lot of singers (Bono and George Michael do this) leave out some of the high notes so as to save their voice. Wes Blaylock of Deas Vail is the only vocalist that I've ever seen who sometimes alters the melodies so that he's hitting a higher note in concert than on the recording. (I've heard him hit F-sharp an octave and a half above middle C.)

I didn't think that Aaron sang that badly in that clip...not that much worse than Sherri live (when they have the full band set-up, acoustic is another story. Her vocals are magic when they play acoustic...) It must be noted, however, that the only time I saw Copeland play live, I was very ill and shouldn't have been at a concert at all.

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
StuartBuck
Sea Post King

guitargirl wrote:
I didn't think that Aaron sang that badly in that clip...not that much worse than Sherri live.
I know I'm starting to get side-tracked here, but here's what I hear:

5-6 seconds -- he's flat on the high note.
13-14 -- he's incredibly flat.
26-27 -- he's quavery and struggling with the high note again, despite using falsetto.
29-30 -- way flat once again.

That's as far as I can bear to listen. Smile

mikep0922
Lost at Forum

Is that what Randy Jackson means by 'pitchy?' I've always wondered!
guitargirl
Laughing Citizen

StuartBuck wrote:
guitargirl wrote:
I didn't think that Aaron sang that badly in that clip...not that much worse than Sherri live.
I know I'm starting to get side-tracked here, but here's what I hear:

5-6 seconds -- he's flat on the high note.
13-14 -- he's incredibly flat.
26-27 -- he's quavery and struggling with the high note again, despite using falsetto.
29-30 -- way flat once again.

That's as far as I can bear to listen. Smile

I guess I'm too forgiving of live performances. or maybe I can't hear him over the other instruments.
By the way, I wasn't trying to imply that Sherri sings badly live. I just think she is able to sing much better when they play acoustic because she doesn't have to fight against anything.

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

mikep0922 wrote:
Is that what Randy Jackson means by 'pitchy?' I've always wondered!

Yeah, it's the nice Hollywood way of saying "you're so off key it hurt my ears". I was always annoyed in AI's first season when they'd say that. They're singers, trying to get a record deal. It's okay to tell them they're out of tune. Rolling Eyes

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
drew8890
Sea Post King

coldplay and eisley
cos coldplay is definitely having their tour at a time where eisley aren't doing anything yet
viva la vida!!!
oh and coldplay plus eisley is a dream tour that seems feasible

norad
Vintage Newbie

drew8890 wrote:
cos coldplay is definitely having their tour at a time where eisley aren't doing anything yet

They are doing things though.