Laughing City
juan_diego
Sea Post King

I'm getting a Rhodes on Monday and I'm soooooo stoked!!! Its a Mark 1 Stage 73, just like Stacy's!

what I was wondering was; does anyone know what kind of amp Stacy used to use when she still toured with her Rhodes? Or if she used any pre-amps or stomp-boxes. I just really wanna get that vibey, Stacy sound out of my Rhodes.

juan_diego
Sea Post King

.....anyone? Sad
sully_51
Golly, Poster

SYP lists her gear as such:
Quote:
Keys
Yamaha P90
Fender Rhodes Mark 1 Stage Series
-circa 1970
-refurbished by Bill Daughtery of Oshio, MO
-formerly owned by Don Henley of the Eagles; sold to Eisley by a family friend
-new Tolex cover added 2003

M-Audio Radium 61 controller
-used live with Mac G4 for MIDI sounds

Wurlitzer Funmaker organ
-given to them by a venue who didn't pay or feed them as promised
-used to write almost all of their songs

Korg Wavestation

Effects
MXR Phase 90

And OGG lists the same minus the P90, so I would guess that the effects were provided by the MXR and the M-Audio/Mac combo.

juan_diego
Sea Post King

sully_51 wrote:
SYP lists her gear as such:
Quote:
Keys
Yamaha P90
Fender Rhodes Mark 1 Stage Series
-circa 1970
-refurbished by Bill Daughtery of Oshio, MO
-formerly owned by Don Henley of the Eagles; sold to Eisley by a family friend
-new Tolex cover added 2003

M-Audio Radium 61 controller
-used live with Mac G4 for MIDI sounds

Wurlitzer Funmaker organ
-given to them by a venue who didn't pay or feed them as promised
-used to write almost all of their songs

Korg Wavestation

Effects
MXR Phase 90

And OGG lists the same minus the P90, so I would guess that the effects were provided by the MXR and the M-Audio/Mac combo.

I looked up the MXR Phase 90 and its a stombox type thingy. so does anyone know if she has a specific amp that she used with Rhodes, or does she just use the venues PA system?

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Amps are kind of pointless for a keyboard because it only changes the natural color of the instrument. I'm guessing she probably fed from the keyboard/effects directly to the PA.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Andrew
Lost at Forum

The Phase 90 is a must but ive used a electro harmonics small stone as well.
stacy has never really used an amplifier just direct into the sound system. But if you had to epiphone has an amp head out called the valve jr. it is a 5watt class A tube head that sounds alot better than the $99 you pay for it. put that on any cab and you'll have a warm tube sound for next to nothing.
Joined: 05 Nov 2002 | Posts: 1479 | Location: Dallas, Texas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kappa962
I LIKE KNOBS, FADERS

Since '05 when I started working with Eisley, Stacy has always run the Rhodes direct for live use. I know she used Phase 90 with it at one point (before I was around), but it was just inline between the Rhodes and the DI. I have no idea what that stompbox even sounds like.

Recorded, the Rhodes has been run through a guitar amp, but it's impossible to say how much of the sound on the CDs is direct and how much is amped. For amps, I would recommend just about any low wattage Fender combo that isn't solid state. The Rhodes sounds amazing direct, but it has a different character through an amp. You may like it more or less depending on what you're going for.

I would imagine that your Rhodes will sound pretty close to Stacy's without much effort.
juan_diego
Sea Post King

Kappa962 wrote:
Since '05 when I started working with Eisley, Stacy has always run the Rhodes direct for live use. I know she used Phase 90 with it at one point (before I was around), but it was just inline between the Rhodes and the DI. I have no idea what that stompbox even sounds like.

Recorded, the Rhodes has been run through a guitar amp, but it's impossible to say how much of the sound on the CDs is direct and how much is amped. For amps, I would recommend just about any low wattage Fender combo that isn't solid state. The Rhodes sounds amazing direct, but it has a different character through an amp. You may like it more or less depending on what you're going for.

I would imagine that your Rhodes will sound pretty close to Stacy's without much effort.

wow, thanx for all the info!! but sorry I am really new to this. How exactly would I get the sound from my Rhodes to be "direct"?

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Direct means you go directly from the output of your instrument into the PA/recorder, without any amp involved. You normally use a direct box for line outputs like 1/4".

My terminology is probably all wrong.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Kappa962
I LIKE KNOBS, FADERS

Just plug it straight into whatever, don't use an amp. If you are at a show, that normally means using a DI to get the signal from the Rhodes' 1/4" (Hi-Z) output to the PA's XLR (Low-Z) input. For recording, you can just plug straight into a 1/4" input on whatever it is that you are recording with.

The alternative is to run through a guitar amp, in which case the 1/4" cable plugs into the amp, and an XLR cable plugs into whatever mic is used to mic the amp.

If you are not recording or playing a show, but just want to hear the keyboard, you can use any piece of gear that has a 1/4" (Hi-Z) input and a headphone output. You could also likely use the same piece of gear to hook it up to your stereo system, if you don't like headphones.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Rhodes don't have any kind of internal speakers?

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Kappa962
I LIKE KNOBS, FADERS

Not the ones I've seen (apart from suitcase models). Wurli's do, but they are super quiet, and don't have any of the fat low end that Rhodes and Wurli's do so well. Occasionally people will mic the internal speakers of a Wurli for a cool, unique sound, but it isn't really the sound most people associate with an electric piano.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

does anyone know offhand how they got the Rhodes sound on Miles Davis' Bitches Brew?

i'm sure i can google for it, but i figured i'd save digging in case.

ah, wait. Joe Zawinul's wiki says this:

He was among the first to use a Fender-Rhodes with a Phasing effect and a Wah-Wah pedal.

Kappa962
I LIKE KNOBS, FADERS

Also, I believe he was using a silvertop, which apparently sounds significantly different than the later models.