11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
I like them both, screw you!
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 18

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

A friend and I were discussing this one day after someone had mentioned they liked the "techno" version of Beethoven Five more than the original.

What's worse, a techno remix of a classical work of music?

or a classical remix of a popular/rock song?

Both can be pretty bad, and I can't even remember if we agreed on anything. On one hand, I really hate techno music, especially when it ruins great composers. There are some instrumental/orchestrated versions I do enjoy of pop music as well (namely Christopher O'Reilly). But, those string tributes are just so stiff and cheesy, and the intonation really suffers in most cases.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
a-1wave
Golly, Poster

I would say techno remixes of classical pieces should never ever be done. That's like asking Picasso to repaint the Sistine Chapel. And I do like some techno music.

You're right though, the string tributes are sadly lacking most of the time. But I think with a full orchestra, a pop/rock song could only sound amazing.

mikep0922
Lost at Forum

'Yes,' made an album called "Yes Symphonic," which was pretty good, with strings and orchestra, of their old stuff, but the band performed on the CD, so I guess that makes a difference!

Otherwise I say leave it alone!

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

I think the main part about a non-vocal remix of a pop song is that you take out one of the most important elements, LYRICS! I can't help but think an orchestral suite of Bob Dylan would be dreadfully boring.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

a-1wave wrote:
I would say techno remixes of classical pieces should never ever be done. That's like asking Picasso to repaint the Sistine Chapel. And I do like some techno music.

Wow. You just compared Pablo Picasso to techno music. Harsh.

I would say the techno remixes are worse, though. I've heard an occasional decent classical tribute to a pop song. I can't say the same for the other. Plus, I don't like techno in general.

Golly, Poster

vivalaspopie wrote:
Wow. You just compared Pablo Picasso to techno music. Harsh.

Haha yeah. I'm not a fan if you couldn't tell.

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Unless you can somehow alter reality and change all recordings and performances of classical music to techno, or some other similar outlandish scenario, I don't really care. If someone wants to do something silly, let them. The kind of attitude that some music is so sacred that it can't be touched in any way just closes minds and enforces conformity.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
The kind of attitude that some music is so sacred that it can't be touched in any way just closes minds and enforces conformity.

On the contrary, art music lends itself very well to interpretation. But, interpretation is far different from physically rewriting a piece. Interpretation is vital to the core values of the orchestra. From the musical director to the last chair of the violin section, each performer has a specific responsibility to both realize the vision of the composer and fill in the musical expression that is not found on paper. Originality of interpretation is the ultimate result, since different musicians have different ideas of expression, even if they read the exact same notes.

Great works of art are always going to be disassembled and put back together in a different order, their public visibility lends itself so. But, if such an assembly goes outside the vision of the creator, don't be surprised if it receives a poor reception.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

What about every pop song ever written being Canon in D?
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Well, none of those pop songs are claiming to rewrite Pachebel's Canon. From a purely legal standpoint, a chord progression is not valid for a copyright. With the incredible volume of music between the art and folk world, there is no doubt going to be a fair about of imitation and ideas being borrowed/stolen. In fact, there are quite a number of folk melodies found in art music (I'm specifically think of Tchaikovsky and Kodaly right now), and since most established folk music at the time was unaccredited, those composers faced no accusations of plagiarism.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
sukieinthe_g
Golly, Poster

I liked the disco version of Beethoven 5th used in this Family Guy sequence.

Except it's not the real video. I couldn't find it.

JBaker
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Well, none of those pop songs are claiming to rewrite Pachebel's Canon. From a purely legal standpoint, a chord progression is not valid for a copyright. With the incredible volume of music between the art and folk world, there is no doubt going to be a fair about of imitation and ideas being borrowed/stolen. In fact, there are quite a number of folk melodies found in art music (I'm specifically think of Tchaikovsky and Kodaly right now), and since most established folk music at the time was unaccredited, those composers faced no accusations of plagiarism.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1731941

^That is great if you've never seen it.

The boney king of nowhere
Sea Post King

Like people said its horrible when people try to remix classical music.
But I am really getting annoyed of the whole wave of people trying to make themselves "artists" by remixing other peoples music. Its ok to do some remixes but not when all your songs are remixes and you have no original music. Theres a bunch of dj's in LA that claim to be artists when all they do is remixes. Its annoying. Sorry for the rant.

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1731941

^That is great if you've never seen it.

I have seen it, but that guy's personality makes me cringe.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
ks1990
Lost at Forum

I think they're as bad as eachother