Death And All His Friends
47%
 47%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 19

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
KH Vandread wrote:
The band performed 42 and Lost! on The Daily Show With Jon Stewart earlier tonight. Did anyone else happen to watch it? I myself loved it, but I'm sure some would disagree if they saw it.

yeah i saw it.
during the one song Chris played that acoustic unmiked and unplugged - i guess he didn't want to just stand there.
do you remember what stewart said before the second song?
i was brushing my teeth and missed that.

The show is on www.hulu.com the morning after. That's how I watch them (I don't have cable).

EDIT: I watched the performance and I was actually pretty impressed. TV shows are notoriously bad for bands: awful sound, no atmosphere, bad performance, etc. The sound was pretty good, and Chris' intonation was actually almost perfect (pretty sure he wasn't using a tape). Some of that dancing was like WTF though.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
EDIT: I watched the performance and I was actually pretty impressed. TV shows are notoriously bad for bands: awful sound, no atmosphere, bad performance, etc. The sound was pretty good.

REM sounded great on there, too.
I guess Jon or the producer really stresses great sound.
wait, no, that was on Colbert.
maybe Comedy Central stresses it then.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Whoa, that performance was SO much better than the MTV Awards one. Chris sounded great, and they all actually looked like they were enjoying themselves. The between-song banter was adorable. "I just sold them a car!"

Is it just me or have they completely abandoned any attempts to hide the fact that they desperately want to be Radiohead? "42" was already a huge "Paranoid Android" clone, but now Chris has started squealing during the instrumental bits. And Guy Berryman plays a drum during "Lost." I guess the only things they're not plagiarizing these days are their absurd little costumes.

Despite the Radiohead ripoff parts, that was quite possibly the best TV performance I've seen, besides maybe Nicole Atkins on Letterman.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
The between-song banter was adorable. "I just sold them a car!"

this wasn't on the link from Pitchfork, what did they say?
i just caught the end with Chris laughing.
this is a funny bit from when they played Kimmel on june 4th:

http://www.redlasso.com/ClipPlayer.aspx?id=a8eb8017-b07b-4dce-87d3-59b ea14b492f

KH Vandread
Sea Post King

bigideas wrote:
REM sounded great on there, too.
I guess Jon or the producer really stresses great sound.
wait, no, that was on Colbert.
maybe Comedy Central stresses it then.

Yeah, that was on The Colbert Report. Colbert has also had Feist, Barry Manilow and a few others I don't quite remember. Aside from Coldplay, The White Stripes, Tom Waits and Tenacious D have performed on The Daily Show. From the ones I have seen, they all sounded great on both sets.

Saellys wrote:
Whoa, that performance was SO much better than the MTV Awards one. Chris sounded great, and they all actually looked like they were enjoying themselves. The between-song banter was adorable. "I just sold them a car!"

Stuff like that is why I love that show.

Saellys wrote:
Is it just me or have they completely abandoned any attempts to hide the fact that they desperately want to be Radiohead? "42" was already a huge "Paranoid Android" clone, but now Chris has started squealing during the instrumental bits. And Guy Berryman plays a drum during "Lost." I guess the only things they're not plagiarizing these days are their absurd little costumes.

Given, I've somehow managed to live a life having only listened to In Rainbows (which I intend to fix), but I've noticed the similarities between the two as well.

Heh, Chris seemed like he was warming up for a boxing match at the beginning of Lost! Also, for some reason, he reminded me of House. I think it's the hair, scraggly beard and black jacket.

bigideas wrote:
Saellys wrote:
The between-song banter was adorable. "I just sold them a car!"

this wasn't on the link from Pitchfork, what did they say?
i just caught the end with Chris laughing.
this is a funny bit from when they played Kimmel on june 4th:

http://www.redlasso.com/ClipPlayer.aspx?id=a8eb8017-b07b-4dce-87d3-59b ea14b492f

Here's the video with the banter and Lost!
Anarr
Sea Post King

KH Vandread wrote:
Also, for some reason, he reminded me of House. I think it's the hair, scraggly beard and black jacket.

everytime i watch house i always think of chris. i am glad i am not the only one.

[flickr] http://www.flickr.com/photos/artache
[last.fm] http://www.last.fm/user/owlslikeus/
[livejournal] http://anarr.livejournal.com
[myspace] http://www.myspace.com/kkthnxby
TheAntrider wrote:
I'm inspired to quit doing drugs. So inspired that I will start doing drugs just so I can quit them!

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:

Is it just me or have they completely abandoned any attempts to hide the fact that they desperately want to be Radiohead?

He openly admitted it in the RS interview.

But you know, Radiohead says the same thing (or any artists really) - say they were going for a certain band's sound with a song. I guess they fail at copying people to the point it doesn't seem too derivative.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
Saellys wrote:

Likewise. The interview is every bit as bad as you would expect from that cover.

what do you mean?
i liked the interview, or at least it made me respect him more.
it's worth the ink it's printed on just for the Eno quote. Laughing

I missed this before; sorry!

Truth be told, I didn't think I could respect Chris--or Rolling Stone--any less until I read that interview. Honestly, that so-called journalist spent seven hours with Chris Martin and the most interesting questions he could put in the article were about whether Barack Obama could win the election? Either Chris is a great big boring pile of poo, or Brian Hiatt is. I'll just split the difference and say they both are.

But what really got me was the bit about the Times bashing X & Y, and how that was "liberating" and made it so they "don't have to fall back on piano, we don't have to fall back on falsetto, you don't have to fall back on every song being a yearning love song." Anyone who needs bad reviews to pull them out of the rut of piano, falsetto, and yearning love songs simply should not be a musician. You shouldn't feel led to diversify because of someone else's opinion--diversification should come naturally over the course of a career.

The whole article was just full of self-congratulatory hyperbole and mindless drivel, which is what I've come to expect from Chris and RS by now anyway. I mean, just look at the title. "The Jesus of Uncool"?! What does that even mean?

bigideas wrote:
Saellys wrote:

Is it just me or have they completely abandoned any attempts to hide the fact that they desperately want to be Radiohead?

He openly admitted it in the RS interview.

But you know, Radiohead says the same thing (or any artists really) - say they were going for a certain band's sound with a song. I guess they fail at copying people to the point it doesn't seem too derivative.

That's not failure. That's being an individual. That's having a distinctive enough sound on one's own that no one can say you're just trying to be a second-rate [insert bigger band's name here].

No one jeers at "Knives Out" and says "God, what a Smiths ripoff," despite the fact that Thom counts the Smiths as one of three bands who changed his life. Conversely, everyone who has heard both Coldplay and Radiohead can follow a trail of obvious sound theft from "Bigger Stronger" to "42". Somehow the only songs that sound like Coldplay--just Coldplay, no one else--ended up on Parachutes, and everything before or since has been derived from either Radiohead (mood) or U2 (lyrics).

Chris Martin tries to claim that it's a homage, that he only imitates Thom and Bono because he loves them so much, but that's bull. If you really want to show your idols how much you adore them, you use the inspiration you get from them to make something new and impressive and, above all, unique. Do it well enough and you may actually get to befriend your idols, which has to be better than being "an eager dog just yapping around their heels." Thom didn't get to be BFFs with Michael Stipe by writing a bunch of "Losing My Religion" knockoffs. He did it by being awesome and making his own music.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I think you misunderstood me because I agree with you for the most part.

I think Thom has actually said that though - they were trying to sound like someone, but not being able to do it right so it doesn't end up sounding derivative. They've mentioned The Smiths many times in reference to Knives Out - Neu for Cuttooth. I'm sure Eno was an inspiration for Treefingers - the Warp catalog for chopped up beats on the last few albums - I believe they referenced DJ Shadow for the chopped up real drum beats on Airbag - I think the recording of I Might Be Wrong was Thom trying to do Clinic - and of course Beatles bits here and there - most recently Faust Arp.

When I say I respect Chris, I just liked that he openly admitted trying to sound like them. It doesn't mean I respect him as a songwriter. I also found more commonality between he and I when he talked about Talking Heads and Michael Jackson's Off the Wall album.

As far as Viva - the album itself - I haven't gotten to listen to it that much, but it falls short of my expectations at the time being. The first two songs released seemed to break Chris' reliance on simple obvious rhymes, but then when I heard the other tracks I found he was still doing this for the most part.

norad
Vintage Newbie

I don't see why anyone would spend so much energy typing about a band they seemingly don't like at all.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Hannah was a huge fan of Parachutes.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
I think you misunderstood me because I agree with you for the most part.

I think Thom has actually said that though - they were trying to sound like someone, but not being able to do it right so it doesn't end up sounding derivative. They've mentioned The Smiths many times in reference to Knives Out - Neu for Cuttooth. I'm sure Eno was an inspiration for Treefingers - the Warp catalog for chopped up beats on the last few albums - I believe they referenced DJ Shadow for the chopped up real drum beats on Airbag - I think the recording of I Might Be Wrong was Thom trying to do Clinic - and of course Beatles bits here and there - most recently Faust Arp.

When I say I respect Chris, I just liked that he openly admitted trying to sound like them. It doesn't mean I respect him as a songwriter. I also found more commonality between he and I when he talked about Talking Heads and Michael Jackson's Off the Wall album.

As far as Viva - the album itself - I haven't gotten to listen to it that much, but it falls short of my expectations at the time being. The first two songs released seemed to break Chris' reliance on simple obvious rhymes, but then when I heard the other tracks I found he was still doing this for the most part.

Fair enough. I get where you're coming from, and I'd heard (and forgotten) about many of those Radiohead examples. There's just something about Coldplay's particular brand of trying to sound like someone else that I find... odious. Chris Martin strikes me as that one kid on the playground willing to do anything the other kids said because he thinks it'll make him cool. I dunno.

patrock wrote:
I don't see why anyone would spend so much energy typing about a band they seemingly don't like at all.

Hey Nora, it's okay to talk to me instead of about me. I don't see why you spend any energy at all typing about what somebody else types about a band you assume they don't like at all, but whatever floats your boat.

Smokemonster
norad
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
patrock wrote:

Hey Nora, it's okay to talk to me instead of about me. I don't see why you spend any energy at all typing about what somebody else types about a band you assume they don't like at all, but whatever floats your boat.

You aren't the only person in the thread speaking negatively.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
Chris Martin strikes me as that one kid on the playground willing to do anything the other kids said because he thinks it'll make him cool. I dunno.

In the actual magazine there are side notes that aren't on the website. I think Chris actually says something along the lines that he'll always be at the kid's table in comparison to Thom Yorke and Bono. That might not be the exact analogy - I can't remember. There is also a sidebar where he talks about 5 different bands/musicians I believe (REM and Michael Jackson are two of them).

I think Coldplay definitely took positive steps with this album - I still have not listened to X&Y, though I picked it up since it was on sale for $7.99 - but I still think they have the potential to make a better album than this one.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:
Saellys wrote:
patrock wrote:

You aren't the only person in the thread speaking negatively.

And yet your comment came right after a particularly long and negative post from me. I don't think the conclusion I drew was unreasonable.

Smokemonster