Laughing City
alinicole
Sea Post King

bigideas wrote:

i would say either Taking Control live video

wasn't there supposed to be a live video for many funerals? what ever happened to this I wonder... anyone know?

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

This will not be my most cohesive argument as it's late but I've been putting this post off for days already. I have no facts for this supposition, but anyway I thought I'd throw it out there.

I agree that Combos probably has not run its legs off commercially, mostly because it has not been properly "presented" to the world, Who By we can only guess at fault. However, if I know it than surely you (Jason) know it too, that Combos came during a particularly difficult time for some members of the band. There is no questioning its musical content, but I wonder if the emotional baggage is ready to be stowed in the overhead compartment. Do they want to push it some more, or are they ready to start afresh? 2008 not so great, 2009 gonna be fine, and all that. Best answer would be to talk to them, and by them I mean the DuPree folk who get carded each time they bring a six-pack of Colt 45 to the register (hey, I don't know what weirdo hooch east Tex-uns drink Wink ) That's all I wanted to add, and I expect has been a priority consideration all along, but it always pays to re-examine the micro with the macro.

muffinbreath
Sea Post King

bigideas wrote:
what about that footage that was shot in Kansas?

where can i find this to watch?
norad
Vintage Newbie

tawnysigala wrote:
bigideas wrote:

http://www.eisley.com/laughingcity/viewtopic.php?t=34932
magiugacire
Sea Post King

I thought "Many Funerals" was the first single from Combinations.

Maybe I'm wrong. I bet I am.

oliez
Vintage Newbie

magiugacire wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong. I bet I am.

yeah. Singles are usually songs that result in a video and sent by the label to radios for air play...notice I said usually, as in most cases (not Eisley's). Many Funerals was rumored to be a second single, but we all know how that ended.
pumamina
Golly, Poster

I just want a video. The memories and invasion ones were so fun and i loved them. I'd love to see what they'd do with ten cent blues, go away or many funnerals
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

pumamina wrote:
I just want a video. The memories and invasion ones were so fun and i loved them. I'd love to see what they'd do with ten cent blues, go away or many funnerals

earlier in this thread or another i thought up a Go Away scenario.
now, after watching some noir films on TCM, i think it would be cool for them to shoot a black and white video like classic noirs in the 40's/50's.
of course, then you'd have to find period looking clothing - maybe there'd be some cheap old stuff at Goodwill.
so you've got the two girls one guy scenario
and then the video ends with both sherri and stacy brandishing guns from their overcoats and walking slowly towards the guy - i'm forgetting which Hitchcock film ends this way (or is it Kubrick's The Killing?).

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
and then the video ends with both sherri and stacy brandishing guns from their overcoats and walking slowly towards the guy - i'm forgetting which Hitchcock film ends this way (or is it Kubrick's The Killing?).

Laughing They've already proven they're cold-blooded killers in the "Think I Wanna Die" video, so why not?

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

jasonemerge wrote:

Forgive me for my verbose response.
-jason

Most welcome and informative.
And I'm reading this thinking "This guy gets it- they're in good hands".

Especially the authenticity thing.

I still think ICBTFY has classic potential though- If it could get out there. I mean way beyond the genre/youth market. Being brutally honest, not sure I can say the same for some of the others that were pushed harder. The appeal of invasion/ many funeral I found somewhat more transient. It really is the standout track on Combinations.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
bigideas wrote:

Laughing They've already proven they're cold-blooded killers in the "Think I Wanna Die" video, so why not?

it would be left up in the air - before any shots would be fired one of those big "THE END"s would pop up on the screen.

here is a visual description - the guy would be facing the camera with hands up at his side with bent elbows and then stacy and sherri come from the left and right of the camera and walk towards him - then their backs would fill the screen to where you can't see the guy any more and then THE END comes up across their backs. they visually "erase" the guy more or less.

muffinbreath
Sea Post King

patrock wrote:
tawnysigala wrote:
bigideas wrote:

that just took me to another topic...
did you post the wrong link?
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

tawnysigala wrote:
patrock wrote:
tawnysigala wrote:
bigideas wrote:

that just took me to another topic...
did you post the wrong link?

patrock make boo boo
here;
http://www.eisley.com/laughingcity/viewtopic.php?t=34749

fernster
Sea Post King

jasonemerge wrote:
yes, every play of a video does technically generate royalties, but they're pennies. yes, sometimes videos are sold online - and bands don't see anything from the sale because most contracts predate the existence of online video sales... but videos mostly exist as a promotional medium.

case in point:
well... if we did a video for, say, "come clean" or "taking control" right now, and channel v in australia played it as their #1 international video for 2-4 weeks... the next time eisley went to australia, it would be to play large theaters or small arenas. videos are very good promotional tools when it comes to exposing new people to something - and i'm not just considering that the album has NOT been out a year in most of the world (it isn't out in most of the world at all, in fact)... on top of that, a year just isn't very long when it comes to a record cycle that hasn't "hopped". there was no real video or single for Combinations. WBR didn't push it, it didn't get radio, there WAS no video and therefore, by most major label logic (the logic of years past), the self-defeating momentum should have kicked in... but it didn't, because eisley is a great band, has a relatively large and loyal US fanbase, and could easily tour year-round in the US and fill rooms. if there had been a series of great videos during the Room Noises era, instead of the ones that were made, and WBR's video promo people had REALLY worked hand-in-hand with the radio promo people and the marketing staff, THAT was a time when videos could have made a big difference. However, there are a lot of factors in play now that were not in play back then... and frankly, I see more value in shooting videos for international markets (as in "outside the US"... sometimes it's "outside the US and Canada", but lately Canada seems like a whole new place) than for the domestic market.

Eisley happens to be authentic. They sell themselves. They don't need some fancy marketing machine to dress them up, package them and sell them. Nearly everyone who hears or sees Eisley play has a very positive reaction. My point is that ANYTHING which helps Eisley reach a larger audience is going to be good. If a video does that, awesome. If a fan tells five friends who each then tell five more friends about Eisley, even more awesome. The Internet has leveled the playing field somewhat when it comes to how you can market music, but some countries remain very close to the traditional "what's on the big corporate channels is all most people know" model. Videos are very helpful for markets like that.

Forgive me for my verbose response. I have quite a bit on my mind and the fact that it HAS been a year since Combinations was released is not lost on me. It should be a much more "known" album - and let's just say it's not the band's fault... we'll leave it to the fans to assign blame (although it seems that most of you already know where the blame doth lay Razz)- having said that... i will keep my lips sealed until another official update. i should probably leave those to boyd, anyway - you've all known him for much, much longer... i'm just some random manager dude who came on board in the past few months. Razz

...but every day, i wake up and realize how privileged i am to be working with such a wonderful group of people, and if anyone deserves to be a well-known, well-respected, enormously successful band, it's Eisley.

-jason

Right on Jason!!! i thank you for your insight that you and Boyd provide. It helps us to understand the goings on in this fluid industry.

QUESTION Can you give us some insight in to the direction that the industry is going to be taking over the course of the next few years as it relates to Eisley and other bands as a whole?

What and how should up coming bands focus on to gain ground and what is NOT the thing(s) to do in general to keep momentum going when a band is on a roll.?

Is the internet the only way for a band to be profitable in the long and short run????

oooops i guess that was more than ONE question! Cheers Fernster

come_clean_all_around_me
Sea Post King

So why was Invasion the only single from the album, that had a video to go along with it? There are so many other great songs on the album, not to say Invasion isnt great, but I would have liked to see at least 2 other videos.
-x-
Actually, Yahoo! Music videos has the Marvelous Things and Golly Sandra videos. This site, as you probably know, has Just Like we Do, Golly Sandra, Telescope Eyes, Marvelous Things, I was Prepared, and Treetops.