Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>

Will the Cubs win the World Series in 2008?
Yes
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
No
84%
 84%  [ 45 ]
Total Votes : 53

BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

lol, shocked at Drew? OK.

Should have been Uggla anyway.
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Mooncutter wrote:
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
gundamit wrote:
Anyone want to change their vote? You may want to wait until after the All-Star game to see which league will have the home field advantage in The World Series (Cubs are 37-12 at Wrigley this year, Red Sox are 36-11 at Fenway, Rays are 36-14 at Tropicana, etc...). Go National League, win this one!!
Yeah! Com'on National League! Pull out all the stops for this one! Play it like its a playoff game. I'm tired of the A.L. dominating ... Evil or Very Mad

NL Scores first with a Matt Holiday home run (nice pitching by Ben Sheets, Carlos Zambrano and Dan Haren through 5 innings). 1-0 National League after 5 innings. Can the National League end their All-Star slump, and do it in the house the Ruth built?

What a game, huh? Now if you think the Cubs can still take October they'll have to pull it off at Fenway. To be honest, though, I was pretty shocked (though not unpleasantly) when Drew won the MVP; I thought for sure Cook would get it.

Yeah, good game. As far as MVP, who cares? I was just happy to see The Cubs throw 5 shutout innings of the 15. Wish that was enough. Aramis Ramirez got on base, and was immediately pulled from the game for a pinch runner. That may have cost the game, IMO. But it is what it is. Who knew it would go 15 innings at that point?

BNROCKS wrote:

Ugly! Laughing Yeah, now Cubs need to maintain best record in National League to keep home field advantage through the NLCS (assuming they make it that far) and then win on the road in the World Series. It's gonna happen! This is the year!! GO CUBS!
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

BNROCKS wrote:

Ugly! Laughing Yeah, now Cubs need to maintain best record in National League to keep home field advantage through the NLCS (assuming they make it that far) and then win on the road in the World Series. It's gonna happen! This is the year!! GO CUBS!

Uggla must've had the ugglaiest All-Star game in history - 3 errors, struck out 3 times, and one GIDP while stranding 6 runners. Shocked He might want to contract those mysterious 'flu-like symptoms' if he gets on next year's team.

And you NLers really thought you had a chance? Wink

gundamit
Golly, Poster

I thought the move to make the All-Star game "count" was a good thing. Now I'm not so sure, and its not just because the AL is dominating. The game should be played like a playoff game but how can it be when the managers have other considerations? If the manager played to win he would leave starters who have their "good stuff" out there for 90+ pitches and make position player substitution based only strategy rather than making sure everyone gets an appearance. But if you did that how long before another team accuses the manager of cooking someone's arm they have to play in the regular season? How long before the league officials and/or fans complain that the manager didn't play a "superstar" who has no business being at the game, but made it due to reputation and/or ignorant fans?

If we can't see a "take no prisoners" All-Star game, it shouldn't determine who gets home field advantage in the WS. If we do get a "take no prisoners" All-Star game and the AL still consistently beats the NL, I'll stop ranting ... maybe. Wink

Vintage Newbie

Cubs were tied with the Brewers for first place as recently as Sunday morning. Cubs went into Miller Park in Milwaukee and swept 4 games, and are now 4 1/2 games in front of the Cardinals and 5 games in front of the Brewers. Very nice to see the Cubs get it done at "Wrigley North" (Miller Park), and get their lead back. GO CUBS!

Cubs stood pat at the trade deadline. Manny Ramirez went to LA Dodgers and Ken Griffey Jr. went to Chicago White Sox in the 2 big trades of the day.

Admiral79 wrote:
I just hope Jimmy doesn't do that well.

For you, Admiral (again) Smile First game Jim Edmonds played this series, and he hit a couple more home runs, including a grand slam! :

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200807313231155
ilitherian
Vintage Newbie

I can't really pretend to be a fan of baseball, but after four years in Chicago (the first of which saw the cubs lose the series due to one of their own fan's interference) i have a soft spot for the old cubbies and can't help but cheer for them. Whenever i happen to see them playing that is...

love,
luke
gundamit
Golly, Poster

What? No bumpage for the thread when the lowly Pirates stop the Cubs juggernaut? Laughing

Dang. I was hoping for the central to tighten up and test the bladder control of the Cubbie fans. Oh well. Two teams might emerge from the central for the playoffs, but I don't think there is any doubt the Cubs will continue to dominate their division, and probably the NL in October.

Vintage Newbie

gundamit wrote:
What? No bumpage for the thread when the lowly Pirates stop the Cubs juggernaut? Laughing

Dang. I was hoping for the central to tighten up and test the bladder control of the Cubbie fans. Oh well. Two teams might emerge from the central for the playoffs, but I don't think there is any doubt the Cubs will continue to dominate their division, and probably the NL in October.

The now mostly AAA Pirates did indeed end the winning streak of the Cubs, while both St. Louis and Milwaukee won today. Although Marquis pitched, can't really blame him (3 runs in 6 innings) when the Cubs failed to score any. So 52 games to play, Cubs lead the division by 4 games over both Milwaukee and St. Louis (who are tied for the Wild Card lead, 2.5 games in front of the Mets and 3 games in front of the Marlins). Cubs still have 9 more games against St. Louis and 6 more games against Milwaukee. This thing is far from over.
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Cubs beat the Cardinals in an extra innings walk-off, 3-2. Cubs lead Cardinals by 7 and Brewers by 5 1/2 games. GO CUBS!!

Admiral79 wrote:
I just hope Jimmy doesn't do that well.

2 more home runs for Edmonds, this time against the cardinals! This is too fun!!

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200808083274844&c_id=c hc
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

I'll say it now: The first place Rays (American League East) will miss the playoffs. Despite being 4 games better than Boston, and 6 games better than Chicago White Sox (the team trailing Boston in the Wild Card), they will fall apart in the last 45 games and miss it. The injuries/DL stints for Evan Longoria and Carl Crawford will be huge. Also, they have 26 more road games and 19 more home games. So I'm sticking my neck out here and predicting what almost nobody is at this point - Rays miss the playoffs. Of course this means I have almost certainly jinxed the Cubs. But what can you do there? Laughing
gundamit
Golly, Poster

You might be sticking your neck out on the Rays but I can see it unless the young starters just pitch out of their minds. MLB would love to see the Rays collapse to make room for a big market team. MLB is really going to hate it when the Angels decimate the AL in the playoffs on their way to beating the Cubs in the World Series. Wink Feel free to quote me when it turns out I'm right. If I'm wrong please don't bother to point it out.
Protocol Droid

I think the Rays can hold on ... The Red Sox are still just getting by on home dominance, and the Yankees get hurt every time they pull themselves together. People have been waiting for the Rays to collapse all year, and they still hang on.

Of course, even if they can't, I do think the Angels will be the team to beat in the AL. But it all depends on how that pitching holds up to the playoffs ... At least if they win it all, they are a real team this time.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
I think the Rays can hold on ... The Red Sox are still just getting by on home dominance, and the Yankees get hurt every time they pull themselves together. People have been waiting for the Rays to collapse all year, and they still hang on.

Of course, even if they can't, I do think the Angels will be the team to beat in the AL. But it all depends on how that pitching holds up to the playoffs ... At least if they win it all, they are a real team this time.

I believe the Red Sox win the AL East division, and either Twins or White Sox wins the wild card. To say the Red Sox have been getting by on home dominance is part of my argument. Red Sox have 25 more home games out of 43 games left to play, Rays have 19 more home games out of 45 left to play. Both teams are dominant at home and below .500 on the road. Crawford and Longoria are too big of holes for Rays to fill. Finally, they finish out the season with 18 games in 17 days, including the last 8 on the road (BAL and DET). They still play Angels 3 more times, White Sox 3 more times, Yankees 6 more times, Red Sox 6 more times, and Minnesota 4 more times. 30 of their last 45 games are against teams that are currently over .500, compared to Boston 33 of their last 43 is advantage Rays and of course the 4 games they are ahead of Boston is advantage Rays. But the Home/Away advantage down the stretch to Boston, along with 2 key injuries for the Rays, will probably knock the Rays out of at least the division (and I predict the wild card as well).

gundamit wrote:
MLB is really going to hate it when the Angels decimate the AL in the playoffs on their way to beating the Cubs in the World Series. Wink

Actually, I'm pretty sure that would be a goldmine for the MLB, and they would love it. Ratings would break all records for sure if the Cubs play anyone in the World Series. You do realize it has been since 1945 since they played in a World Series and since 1908 since they won it, right? And the Cubs have a huge following around the country built from decades of being on WGN.
gundamit
Golly, Poster

Actually, I'm pretty sure that would be a goldmine for the MLB, and they would love it. Ratings would break all records for sure if the Cubs play anyone in the World Series. You do realize it has been since 1945 since they played in a World Series and since 1908 since they won it, right? And the Cubs have a huge following around the country built from decades of being on WGN.

You're certainly right about MLB doing cartwheels when/if the Cubs show up for the World Series. And that would outweigh any disappointment MLB might have with a small market team show up and beating the Cubs. Not sure Cubs fans would be satisfied by having the Cubs just make an appearance.

Yes Cubs fans are everywhere, maybe more than Red Sox and Yankee fans. Not sure about MLB breaking ratings records but I suppose its possible.

But com'on we've already had the Red Sox break their curse, don't we want the Cubs to maintain their lovable loser status and take it to greater heights? Maybe they should save winning the WS for sometime in the 22nd century so their loser status can be epic? Wink

Vintage Newbie

Cubs are now leading the division by 6 games over Milwaukee, and are 8 1/2 games ahead of St. Louis with 37 games left in the regular season. Cardinals trail the Brewers by 2 1/2 games in the Wild Card race. Last road trip was very good. Cubs are tied for the best record in the major leagues with Tampa Bay Rays 77 wins 48 losses, and have almost identical Home-Away records with the Rays (Cubs are .500 on the road, Rays are 1 game under .500 on the road).

I see 5 people now agree with me that this is the Cubs year. If you haven't voted yet, it's not too late! GO CUBS!

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>