Laughing City

Mukulankula language other than your own?
Malawi aye
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Scottish aye
50%
 50%  [ 8 ]
pan'gano
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 16

ks1990
Lost at Forum

I guess I'm quite competent in French and German, as I'll be majoring in the two. Hmm, I'd say I'm better at French though. I can't wait till i'm fluent in the two; just being able to converse in another language is really amazing, imo.
haystar
Sea Post King

I just graduated college with French as one of my majors, and I took all four years of high school as well. I wish someone in my house spoke it too so it would stay fresh on my mind for a while!
lonelynation3
Vintage Newbie

hablo espanol.
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

I knew a guy at work who could speak several languages, Spanish, Italian, Russian, modern Greek, and Yiddish. I ask him once to read something I'd found written in modern Greek, but he told me that he could neither read or write in any of those languages! He'd grown up in New York City, and from a young age had just picked them up by hearing them spoken around him, being in such a language rich environment!

So I've always figured that the main thing is being able to converse with people, not the reading and writing so much. But I think that would be heretical to most language teachers! Smile

lucia
Sea Post King

cryptictonight wrote:
Immersion is the best way to learn!
I didn't get very far in any of my language classes, but I lived in Chile for 6 months and now I can speak/read/understand Spanish pretty well!
My best advice, though, is to keep practicing Chichewa. Do it constantly!
it's been over a year since I got back from Chile and it really does slip away quickly. Sometimes I'll play a little game where I just start thinking all my thoughts in Spanish. Or I annoy my family by talking to myself and to them in Spanish (even though none of them speak)...just to keep it in my mind!

haha. Smile I remember my first few days back from Chile. I was accidentally responding to questions in Spanish. Imagine how embarrassed I was when the cashier in the San Francisco airport asked me if I wanted crackers with my soup and I responded "sí".
I was so disoriented for a moment, but quickly corrected myself and mumbled a "yes." I was definitely still thinking in Spanish at that point.

Haha that's funny Smile

I lived in Chile too! For three years Smile

ilitherian
Vintage Newbie

I can make myself generally understood in French and can understand just about anything said to me unless its really technical. I can also speak enough Tchebarra (a dialect of the Senufo language group in West Africa) to amuse native speakers and cause them to laugh at me. I used to be tolerable in Spanish before i learned French, but now i try speaking Spanish and all that comes out is French... it's weird. Apparently this is a not uncommon problem, even for the truly multi-lingual.

love,
luke
Lynn
Golly, Poster

I find myself quite often thinking in English, especially after reading a book in English. If I force myself I can also think in German (and I did that before my German exam last year). I've studied German for like 9 years and it's a shame that I know English a lot better (I have been studying English seriously for 2 years now). I feel like for the last two years I have been erasing every German word and grammar rule that had somehow found its way to my memory.
I also started studying French last year but I don't seem to have much progress.
Right now English is the only foreign language I can speak fluently.
kathymunster
Golly, Poster

I'm pretty good in French, definitely not fluent. But I've studied it for about.. 4 years now.
I USED to be pretty fluent in Korean. Like... equally so with English, but yeah. notsomuch these days.
I understand it almost perfectly, though. Hah, I just have trouble speaking/reading.

-Mae West
Darth Carm
Sea Post King

I have no recollection of trying to learn a second language, for as long as I can remember I've been fluent in both Spanish and English.

However, I think the only reason I continue being fluent in Spanish is because it's always been the primary language at home, so there's been no lack of practice or usage. Good thing too, comes in extremely handy in Orange County...

Starbright
Sea Post King

I can say that i am very fluent in my second language seeing that it is English.

Not that fluent in other languages though but i do know a little bit of Chinese and a whole lot of other local dialects that is in my very multiracial country to know if they're saying bad stuff about me haha.

And also the nice things too. A little bit of this and that i picked from friends. My roommate, however, is very fluent in German. She taught me some words but all i can remember is ich liebe dich and ich liebe essen.

Sad. I'm a bit slow at learning new languages.

kathymunster
Golly, Poster

Lynn wrote:
I find myself quite often thinking in English, especially after reading a book in English. If I force myself I can also think in German (and I did that before my German exam last year). I've studied German for like 9 years and it's a shame that I know English a lot better (I have been studying English seriously for 2 years now). I feel like for the last two years I have been erasing every German word and grammar rule that had somehow found its way to my memory.
I also started studying French last year but I don't seem to have much progress.

What's your first language?

-Mae West
jabberjaw_04
Golly, Poster

I can speak Spanish fluently, it was my first language actually. A few years back I tired to learn Swedish but I never stuck to it, although listening to Swedish music did help a lot, too bad I forgot most of it. Now, i'm gonna try French at school, which I'm really excited about.
Lynn
Golly, Poster

kathymunster wrote:
Lynn wrote:

Bulgarian Wink

I recently found this site FreeRice. It questions you on English words and for every right answer you give sponsors donate 20 rice grains to hungry people. It determines your vocabulary level according to your answers (and gives you words with difficulty according to your level) and questions you again on words you get wrong after several turns. It's really nice for practice, and I actually learned a few words from it. There are some fairly easy ones and many that don't even sound English.
I don't know if I should have started another thread about this, but since we're talking about languages anyway, I guess I'll just post it here.
kathymunster
Golly, Poster

Lynn wrote:
kathymunster wrote:
Lynn wrote:

Bulgarian Wink

I recently found this site FreeRice. It questions you on English words and for every right answer you give sponsors donate 20 rice grains to hungry people. It determines your vocabulary level according to your answers (and gives you words with difficulty according to your level) and questions you again on words you get wrong after several turns. It's really nice for practice, and I actually learned a few words from it. There are some fairly easy ones and many that don't even sound English.
I don't know if I should have started another thread about this, but since we're talking about languages anyway, I guess I'll just post it here.

Oh, yeah I remember that site. I used to go on there sometimes last year to improve my vocab. haha.
Well, I think your English is really good.
Or from what I've read.

-Mae West
Lynn
Golly, Poster

Thanks, I'm glad you think so Smile