Sprocket
Vintage Newbie

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

you'll have to translate that cartoon.
Question

Sprocket
Vintage Newbie

It's easy to get riled up at disembodied words on a screen... easier than to get riled at a real person sitting behind a monitor. It was just a call to peace, really. Smile
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

yay ...guitars!

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
Last edited by The_Paronomasial_Mattoid on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
kidnap_jasmine
Sea Post King

okay, I think that conversation should be moved to PM-ing.
and we should all get back to the point;

Todd, the guitar is lovely, and the color is wonderful.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

kidnap_jasmine wrote:
okay, I think that conversation should be moved to PM-ing.
and we should all get back to the point;

Todd, the guitar is lovely, and the color is wonderful.

Wow, you took the words out of my mouth. ha ha. It's PM time, for sure. And I mean that in the "this is a warning" way, too ...

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

bigideas wrote:
no, there is such a thing as using tact.
you know the old adage,

"if you have nothing nice to say..."

yeah, but i've always thought it was bull-$#@!! so-called “tact” and “manners” are just controls society likes to place on people to prevent them from actually, well, doing what they want to do, and being who they want to be, and, instead, make them fall in line, stick to the program, and play by the rules. i've been butting my against that for as long as i can remember, and i'll go right on doing so for as long as i can, thank you very much!

bigideas wrote:
in this thread Todd shared with us him taking some hunks of wood and turning them into a functional musical instrument. i doubt many other people on this forum can even do that. that in itself is a positive action, worthy of positive reinforcement.

well, actually, i'd agree with you on that completely, but i think to just focus on the "positive", and leave out any "negative" feelings you might have, is being dishonest — in fact, that's probably one of my firmest held beliefs: dishonesty isn't just about what you do say, but what you don't say, and, for that matter, how you say it, or don't say it, or whatever! i can't stand biting your tongue, holding back, watering down, sugar coating, so on, and so forth! i find it more personally offensive than anything that anyone could ever actually say to me!

inorbit wrote:
bigideas wrote:
no, there is such a thing as using tact.

do not be afraid:
I'll get right to the point-
I have no idea how old you are, but on the off chance that you are young, someone should tell you:

I really hope for your sake that the side of you we see on this forum is just your anonymous bb persona. In case its not, well, perhaps I can tell you something here that no-one in real life would bother telling you; out there, at least in the adult world, most people will just walk away from you shaking their heads and thinking "what a complete pratt", and then just avoid further contact as much as possible. In a lot of cases, you'll probably never even know what happened :

It is that, unless you learn to accord other people some modicum of respect, I think you are going to have a very tough and not particularly successful life. The problem is not your opinion, or even in most cases that you choose to express it. I'm all for candour, and detest patronizing flattery. It is that you express it in a manner that others too often find personally offensive. Your personal attacks on Todd Larose's professionalism, for instance, were way outside the bounds of any remotely conventional standards of civility.

I tell you this because you seem like a decent and sincere guy (or girl, this is an anonymous forum, after all), you don't seem to intend to come off the way you do, and you probably have a lot to offer. You won't be given a chance, though, if you go around p*ssing everyone off.

Trust me on this. Its learned by hard won experience.

look, with everyone i've ever met, there's basically two types: people who try to “reform” me, and people who are fine with me just the way i am, and even grow to like me — and the first type will often become the second, but never the other way around. i've heard everything you're saying a zillion times, and it may even be right, if all i cared about was getting along with people, and getting ahead in life, and so on, but i don't! honestly, i'd be perfectly fine and happy living under a bridge somewhere all alone and by myself, without a job, money, or possessions, just as long as i didn't have to put up with any of that bull-$#@!!

oh, and about that anonymous $#@!:

my name is Robert Irvin Heinz. i was born August 18th, 1988 (so, yes, i'm still young!) i live in Temple Terrace Florida, which is basically just Tampa. heck, i'd even be willing to meet up with you if you live anywhere near me, and then you can see how i really am! i often actually wish the internet wasn't so anonymous…

inorbit wrote:
Ironically, you also often seem to perceive any disagreement or expression of contrasting opinions as a personal attack, and respond by lashing out in ways that others sometimes find a bit uncivil, or at least unexpected. Its as though you expect other people to have elephant hides, but you seem to have a very thin skin yourself. I think you will find that this is will not generally prove to be a good way to earn the respect of others.

i wanted to respond to this bit in particular, just because it's something a lot of people don't seem to understand about me: i don't expect anyone to be thick skinned at all — heck, if i say something against you, get angry! be offended! lash out at me! beat the $#@! crap out of me, if you'd like! i'm all for it! but just don't expect me to not be angry, or offended, or lash out, or beat the $#@! crap out of you, or whatever, either!

inorbit wrote:
--edit
I'll add here that I personally think that you might consider whether you owe Todd an apology. You certainly don't have to say you like his guitar if you don't, or apologize for not liking it, but I'd suggest that an apology for insulting him when he's done nothing you might be appropriate.

look, if i've personally offended anyone, then they can tell me themselves what i've said to offend them, and why it offends them, and if i was in the wrong, i'll be more than willing to fess up to it, and apologize, and move on — but i'm not going to apologize to you for something that may have offended someone else!

Music_Lover wrote:
but you always turn around and try to switch what you were saying.

no, i try to explain what i was saying! argh! i'm just fed up with all of this now (i've been typing it so long that the posts i'm responding to weren't even posted when i started!)

anyways...

Saellys wrote:
You know guys, do not be afraid.'s opinions don't bother me at all anymore, even if they do tend to disagree with my own opinions (in this case, my opinion that Todd made one freakin' gorgeous guitar). I've come to expect his very emphatic statements as a matter of course, and even--in some cases--to enjoy reading them, because I know that someone will always take them the wrong way. See also: this entire thread.

So I have this suggestion. Instead of telling do not be afraid. to get over himself, why don't you all get over him? The three-on-one gangup was seriously over the top as a reaction to a rather innocent statement, and the more we talk about it, the worse we all look. He didn't say anything to any of you. He didn't even say anything insulting to Todd, up until the "professional" comment, and that was clearly provoked.

It doesn't matter who he thinks he is; he has the right to both have and express his opinion, and so long as it doesn't break any forum rules or intentionally hurt someone you can all disagree without stooping to personal attacks that are worse than the so-called offensive comments were in the first place.

woah, thanks! i really, really, really, really, really mean that! you're one of my favorites here, too, and always seem to be on the other side (not that it's about “sides” or whatever, either, it's just… i don't know…), and it's just great to hear you basically say everything i've been wanting to say, but just couldn't find the words, or get the distance from it, or whatever, to really say it! thank you so, so, so much!

uncreative wrote:
Besides, I love reading do not be afraid's posts. Wait, when provoked he usually posts more... ok, never mind, carry on!

ha, cool! does this mean that i have a fan? weird… but, actually, i don't post more when provoked, i post more when people respond directly to me (and then i respond to them, and we go back and forth, and have what's called a conversation! amazing, i know…) it's just that it seems like the only time anyone actually responds to what i say is when i've “offended” them, or their sensibilities, or whatever (and that the only time a real conversation occurs here it's an argument!)

uncreative wrote:
(And I'm not meaning to offend anyone in this post)

that should probably be in my signature!

TheAntrider wrote:
It's PM time, for sure. And I mean that in the "this is a warning" way, too ...

don't ban me! i just started typing this out before you said that, and i'm too lazy to break it all up into PMs (even though i actually agree with you that it should be done through PM! i was actually going to say something about that — i never meant for a topic about this guitar to turn into a topic about me!)
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

Todd, the guitar is awesome and it shows that you have character by just giving them it. you're awesome.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
Last edited by The_Paronomasial_Mattoid on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
in this thread Todd shared with us him taking some hunks of wood and turning them into a functional musical instrument. i doubt many other people on this forum can even do that. that in itself is a positive action, worthy of positive reinforcement.

One mildly dissenting opinion in a thread otherwise full of positive reinforcement does not warrant the group smackdown that has taken over this thread.

Sorry for not putting that in a PM Jamie, but I feel it needs to be said in a place where it will be seen by all involved.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Odan
Laughing Citizen

Sprocket wrote:

<3 xkcd.

That is all.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
bigideas wrote:

One mildly dissenting opinion in a thread otherwise full of positive reinforcement does not warrant the group smackdown that has taken over this thread.

Sorry for not putting that in a PM Jamie, but I feel it needs to be said in a place where it will be seen by all involved.

i wasn't going to say any more, but since you quoted me:
it wasn't once.
everyone let the first handful go, eventually even Todd finally reacted to the comments.
saying it isn't your style of guitar is fine, but say it once and be done with it, not every time he updates it with new photos.

vintage_snowflake
Golly, Poster

do not be afraid. wrote:
vintage_snowflake wrote:
woah woah, I jumped in on page eight, haven't seen the rest of it.. but can we not bash? I understand your hesitancy to shower the utmost praise upon this guitar, but no need to say it sucks.

um, again, nobody ever said it “sucks”, and it doesn't, and... oh, bother! why do i even try?

vintage_snowflake wrote:
also, all around, people.. just calm down. life is good, no?

I AM CALM! DON'T I LOOK CALM TO YOU!?! SEE THE PRETTY COLOR I'M TYPING IN? DOESN'T THAT TELL YOU HOW CALM I AM!!?!?!

in response to that first: I was talking about both extremes and accusing you of neither.the second: I was talking to everybody, not just good. notice 'people', plural. It just seemed like a lot of people were getting really worked up to me.

ps I put mine in pretty colours too. do you like it?
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
Saellys wrote:
bigideas wrote:

i wasn't going to say any more, but since you quoted me:
it wasn't once.
everyone let the first handful go, eventually even Todd finally reacted to the comments.
saying it isn't your style of guitar is fine, but say it once and be done with it, not every time he updates it with new photos.

I was talking about one dissenting opinion in that do not be afraid. is one person with a dissenting opinion. And just as many people have posted, over and over, each time Todd posts a new photo, their opinion that this is a gorgeous guitar, do not be afraid. has stated his opinion, as is his right.

This thread is the proportionate equivalent of a bunch of people at a gallery show in which the artist is standing proudly next to his creation, and a dozen guests see the work and gush at its beauty and compliment the artist's skill while one shrugs and says, "Meh."

I have no doubt that do not be afraid. is the kind of person who would not be afraid (heh) of saying "Meh" to someone's face in the physical world, and no one would make a big deal of it there. Honestly, would you cause a scene of this magnitude in a public place just because someone voiced an opinion of personal preference that happens to contradict your own? If not, why bother doing it online?

I am pretty much convinced that the inappropriate defensiveness in this thread is built-up frustration at do not be afraid.'s propensity for brutal honesty, which has come out in several threads before, and most participants are angry because of his previous statements rather than the ones in this thread. That boils down to ad hominem, since you are responding to your prior experience with the person in other discussions rather than his statements in this one. You might say you're trying to defend Todd (who has "reacted" only by saying that do not be afraid.'s comments made him chuckle--clearly he's nowhere near as distraught about this as so many other people in this thread), but from what?

If anyone else cares to respond to my statements, do it in a PM since I won't be posting in this thread anymore. You're all far too defensive and this is a $#@!-storm over absolutely nothing. I hope to God this thread doesn't get locked, because it would be a shame for the chronicle of Todd's hard work to sink to the bottom of EisleyBlog thanks entirely to the people who just can't get over other people's opinions.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Saellys wrote:
I hope to God this thread doesn't get locked, because it would be a shame for the chronicle of Todd's hard work to sink to the bottom of EisleyBlog thanks entirely to the people who just can't get over other people's opinions.

I agree. Actually, I wonder if it wouldn't be best if someone with the requisite permissions expunged the sequence of O/T posts (including mine) that have not much to do with the guitar. I know that's not a practice that anyone wants to make standard procedure, due to the workload, honesty of the record, etc, but in this case there's a valuable thread with some not so valuable stuff in it that isn't going to interest future readers much.
--edit--
there- mines emptied. Less clutter in the thread. Anyone else care to join in?
--edit-
hope sprocket's cartoon stays though!

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>