Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

tawnysigala wrote:

well, i know i'm kind of late, and that this topic has long since jumped the rails, fallen off a cliff, sunk to the bottom of the ocean, tunneled through the center of the earth, and ended up somewhere near China, i just have to say it: that is one amazingly beautiful tattoo! it kind of makes me wish i had one…
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
muffinbreath
Sea Post King

do not be afraid. wrote:
tawnysigala wrote:

well, i know i'm kind of late, and that this topic has long since jumped the rails, fallen off a cliff, sunk to the bottom of the ocean, tunneled through the center of the earth, and ended up somewhere near China, i just have to say it: that is one amazingly beautiful tattoo! it kind of makes me wish i had one…

thanks!!!!
get one. we could be tattoo twins.
mybrotherisadino
Sea Post King

Nowhere Man wrote:
patrock wrote:
Nowhere Man wrote:
Nice tramp stamp Wink

Who has one? Shocked

TOM DELONGE!

D:

also there's another shirt i have of sherri's art that i wouldn't mind having a tattoo of.

its actually in the forum background, its the woman person with wings and all that stuff.
i would get it on my back, like a mural.
Joined: 25 Aug 2007 | Posts: 127 | Location: Minneapolis, MN
pumamina
Golly, Poster

Do tatoo's hurt that much?
I was looking at this lady's neck and my neck started hurting
Is it that bad? And is it worth it

Mims
Golly, Poster

pumamina wrote:

I have one around my ankle and I felt nothing. I'm getting one on my wrist; I probably feel something there. My friend told me that the tope of her foot hurt. It hurts when they fill in something (like getting a heart that is red on the inside)
Joined: 03 Jun 2006 | Posts: 617 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida
pumamina
Golly, Poster

I heard the inner arm hurt too and i think either that of a back one would be the coolest
Mims
Golly, Poster

pumamina wrote:
I heard the inner arm hurt too and i think either that of a back one would be the coolest

I don't think the shoulder area of the back would hurt much but along the spine probably would.
Joined: 03 Jun 2006 | Posts: 617 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida
ghost in the snow
Golly, Poster

Mims wrote:
pumamina wrote:

I have one around my ankle and I felt nothing. I'm getting one on my wrist; I probably feel something there. My friend told me that the tope of her foot hurt. It hurts when they fill in something (like getting a heart that is red on the inside)

the one on my wrist didn't really hurt more than the others. the one on my shoulder hurt the most but probably just because it took longer.
muffinbreath
Sea Post King

i have one on the top of my foot and it did hurt a lot. they say its one of the top 5 worst places to get one regarding pain.
and i actually think that the outlines hurt more than the shading. FOR SURE. when i got my back piece done, i was dying during the outline, but during the shading, i could actually breathe through it.
it hurts, but its worth it. and its not horrible. and every time they take away the needle, you get a rush of adrenaline and endorphins in your brain, so that feels good. haha.
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

pumamina wrote:

I have one on the back of my right shoulder; not very big. Its not an Eisley one, though- its from way before Eisley (although the Sheri-art ones you guys are looking at are tres cool) It didn't really hurt much, although I did feel it a bit more on the part that approaches the neck area, so I imagine a tattoo on the neck would be felt a bit more. I did feel the dark outlines much more than the colour fill, though.

It feels a bit like having hairs plucked out of your arm, one by one, quickly. I guess you'd call it pain, but compared to what I imagine, say, a wax job would feel like, I'd say its not much to worry about. Afterwards, it feels kind of like a bad sunburn for a while. No big deal.

I have no objection to tattoo's, and I don't want to sound like a killjoy, but especially you younger ones should consider carefully before getting one, what to get, and where, and if. You won't always be in your teens/early twenties.

Your tastes and attitudes might not change much over the years, but you will probably want to move to an increasing degree in different crowds, with people with different attitudes, prejudices and assumptions, without being judged unfairly, or being uncomfortable about what others think of you.

Even If you are a professional musician, artist, etc, and move in circles that are more open to such things, you might not always. Most of the people I knew who were trying to make it as musicians, etc. in their early twenties now have conventional, professional jobs.

For my part, I have become immensely grateful that mine is in a place that is covered by normal clothing, even t-shirts. For someone else to see it, I basically have to be shirtless. Frankly, I also think having it in a place where I don't have to see it on a daily basis (even when shirtless) has helped me to get less sick of it myself. I can go weeks forgetting I even have one.

Even so, I have to admit that, at this stage in my life, there are pool parties (especially with professional or church contacts that I don't know very well) that I either avoid or feel more comfortable sitting at the table nursing my beer than enjoying the pool.

I think it makes a difference if its something that you can explain; that has some symbolic meaning for you personally; and definitely something custom, something you or someone you are close to designed. Mine is none of the above and I regret that. Back when I got it, it was kind of the cool thing to do, and "everyone" was getting them. But having this basically random picture on my back forever feels a bit dumb, even if it "looks cool". I'm frankly glad that its not explicitly a band tattoo.

If I had it to choose again, I'd probably skip it. But the pain aspect really isn't of much consequence to whether its worth it- its more a question of being stuck with this thing on your skin that doesn't come off, more or less forever.

I'm not preaching, just sharing.
muffinbreath
Sea Post King

inorbit wrote:
pumamina wrote:

I have one on the back of my right shoulder; not very big. Its not an Eisley one, though- its from way before Eisley (although the Sheri-art ones you guys are looking at are tres cool) It didn't really hurt much, although I did feel it a bit more on the part that approaches the neck area, so I imagine a tattoo on the neck would be felt a bit more. I did feel the dark outlines much more than the colour fill, though.

It feels a bit like having hairs plucked out of your arm, one by one, quickly. I guess you'd call it pain, but compared to what I imagine, say, a wax job would feel like, I'd say its not much to worry about. Afterwards, it feels kind of like a bad sunburn for a while. No big deal.

I have no objection to tattoo's, and I don't want to sound like a killjoy, but especially you younger ones should consider carefully before getting one, what to get, and where, and if. You won't always be in your teens/early twenties.

Your tastes and attitudes might not change much over the years, but you will probably want to move to an increasing degree in different crowds, with people with different attitudes, prejudices and assumptions, without being judged unfairly, or being uncomfortable about what others think of you.

Even If you are a professional musician, artist, etc, and move in circles that are more open to such things, you might not always. Most of the people I knew who were trying to make it as musicians, etc. in their early twenties now have conventional, professional jobs.

For my part, I have become immensely grateful that mine is in a place that is covered by normal clothing, even t-shirts. For someone else to see it, I basically have to be shirtless. Frankly, I also think having it in a place where I don't have to see it on a daily basis (even when shirtless) has helped me to get less sick of it myself. I can go weeks forgetting I even have one.

Even so, I have to admit that, at this stage in my life, there are pool parties (especially with professional or church contacts that I don't know very well) that I either avoid or feel more comfortable sitting at the table nursing my beer than enjoying the pool.

I think it makes a difference if its something that you can explain; that has some symbolic meaning for you personally; and definitely something custom, something you or someone you are close to designed. Mine is none of the above and I regret that. Back when I got it, it was kind of the cool thing to do, and "everyone" was getting them. But having this basically random picture on my back forever feels a bit dumb, even if it "looks cool". I'm frankly glad that its not explicitly a band tattoo.

If I had it to choose again, I'd probably skip it. But the pain aspect really isn't of much consequence to whether its worth it- its more a question of being stuck with this thing on your skin that doesn't come off, more or less forever.

i completely agree with you 100 percent.
that's why i choose to change sherri's art and make it something of my own and something that meant so much to me.
where i got it is not a horrible place for the future wrinkles and rolls... but its not the best either.
i love that i forget about mine too. its like a little present when i do see it. i still haven't memorized every line of it and because of that, its still and probably will remain interesting to me for quite a while.
ghost in the snow
Golly, Poster

inorbit wrote:
pumamina wrote:

I know exactly what you mean. I'm studying to become a teacher and I can't have any tattoos showing. I have 4, but I'm able to cover them all up. When I wear a tank top you can see this one on my back, but that's it.

My cousin's a tattoo artist so she's covered head to toe, as is her husband. He was in a rock band that failed and now to help her support their 3 kids he works a day job. It took him forever to find one, and even at this one he has to always wear long sleeves. Every tattoo I've gotten I've waited 6 months before I get it to make sure it's not something I'll regret. I'd suggest that to anyone thinking of getting one.
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

My favorite tattoo stories are the ones where people ignorantly get gang tats. Laughing

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Pantheon4 wrote:
My favorite tattoo stories are the ones where people ignorantly get gang tats. Laughing

In abstract, I find that hilarious. In practice, I feel too sorry for them to get much of a laugh at their expense;

I feel even sorrier for people who were skins as adolescents and changed their minds as they grew up, but are stuck with skinhead/neo-n./nationalist symbolism on their skin in conspicuous places. At least gang tattoos don't mean anything in polite company; Its would be awfully hard to explain a swastika on the back of your hand to client who is taking you to the opera. They are pretty much resigned to trading their tattoos in for scar tissue.
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:
Pantheon4 wrote:

In abstract, I find that hilarious. In practice, I feel too sorry for them to get much of a laugh at their expense;

I feel even sorrier for people who were skins as adolescents and changed their minds as they grew up, but are stuck with skinhead/neo-n./nationalist symbolism on their skin in conspicuous places. At least gang tattoos don't mean anything in polite company; Its would be awfully hard to explain a swastika on the back of your hand to client who is taking you to the opera. They are pretty much resigned to trading their tattoos in for scar tissue.

Back when punk used a lot of swastikas for camp purposes, many of them got swastika tattoos then after the Dead Kennedys song "Nazi Punks F-CK Off". So some, maybe a lot (I'm not quite sure how many) went back to the tattoo parlor and got the swastikas turned into "windows".

That said, most people on the street aren't going to see a shamrock or an 88 and think, "This guy is a NAZI!"

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>