Laughing City
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

blisteredavalon wrote:
dude, don't listen to anything those idiots at PitchforkMedia have to say, they've had a grudge against the Pumpkins for a looong time...

haha and they based that review on a couple youtube clips and negative reviews from other sources... they didnt even go to the show.... crappy journalism

Yeah, don't listen to Pitchfork, period. They write about as intelligently as a 6th grader with an ego complex.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

blisteredavalon wrote:
i completely agree with you Kylee Janai

i think that the problem is that most everyone (or at least alot of people) are not realizing that they are real, creative, artistic, and progressive musicians! not petty entertainers that cater to the audiences every whim...

and about the long jams that people seem to get bored of...

i can understand if your one of those people that aren't into that stuff, but... being a musician myself, i feel that jams and improv are what being a musician is all about... its all about community and playing with other musicians...
thats what i feel at least...

wooah, way to many dot dot dots

Glad to hear! Wink

And I agree, when I listen to them jam, it's just mind-blowing. I am really proud of them (new members especially) it's not easy to be a Pumpkin, all the crap you get having to hear that they aren't a true Pumpkin, etc. I loved D'arcy and James, but that's the past and I have moved on. But the jams... I will admit, though, I left to go to the restroom during "Gossamer" which is a *checks iTunes* 27 minute at 13 second song, ha. I have heard it like, 3 times by now, and I just needed to goo take a breather.

and BigIdeas - Yes... there were people leaving during our show.
1. People would leave before they came out and did their encore, and a lot of people left during the jamsessions. And, I didn't check YouTube yet, and I have loaded my own videos, but they did these very awesome new... like tribal sounding jams that were just jaw droppin'. The first night they got out these furby like creatures, too, and added them into some music - it ruled.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
blisteredavalon wrote:
dude, don't listen to anything those idiots at PitchforkMedia have to say, they've had a grudge against the Pumpkins for a looong time...

haha and they based that review on a couple youtube clips and negative reviews from other sources... they didnt even go to the show.... crappy journalism

Yeah, don't listen to Pitchfork, period. They write about as intelligently as a 6th grader with an ego complex.

If you think it's bad now, read some of the early reviews circa 1996 for some of the grunge era bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden. You can see where it started from.

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
blisteredavalon wrote:

Isn't Pitchfork "based" in Chicago? That's where they hold their concertpalooza anyway, and Chicago has been their harshest critics since the beginning, so a continuation of that trend is no surprise at all. Same seems to be the case with Eisley when I've read them talk about Tyler. Why is that?? Why don't particular local scenes embrace something new and different when it emerges from their midst? To be blunt, that's f*cked up.

inorbit
Laughing Citizen

grain thrower wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:
blisteredavalon wrote:

Isn't Pitchfork "based" in Chicago? That's where they hold their concertpalooza anyway, and Chicago has been their harshest critics since the beginning, so a continuation of that trend is no surprise at all. Same seems to be the case with Eisley when I've read them talk about Tyler. Why is that?? Why don't particular local scenes embrace something new and different when it emerges from their midst? To be blunt, that's f*cked up.

At the risk of veering O/T here:
Well, true, Eisley's is from Tyler; and, despite the obsession the press seems to have with creating the impression that they are from the sticks- like- east TX deliverence country - its mostly BS- Tyler is a city of over 100,000. Provincial, OK, but not the sticks by a long way. None the less, to your point, when Eisley broke into a scene, in a meaningful sense, it was in Dallas, in Deep Ellum (the other thing the press likes to ignore when desparately trying to pitch the "hicks" angle), Whether they like it or not, they were basically a Dallas band for all intents and purposes. And Dallas LOVED Eisley. We claimed them as local darlings, just like we do with all the best Denton Bands, over their protestations- cause, truth be told, our dirty little secret is that parts of our regional hinterlands are way cooler than anything going on in dallas itself, which is mostly full of poseurs. The local press couldn't get enough of 'em.

'Course, Dallas, being the Douchebag capital of the world, is a really, really fickle place. Just ask anyone who's owned a restaurant or club here. So as quickly as it was locally "cool" to go around saying "have you seen that awesome new band Eisley yet", it seemed like it got "cool" to treat them as "so last year". I never heard anyone deride them-people here still like them. They just weren't the "it" thing any more. That's just Dallas- the kind of place where grown men an women seem to actually care, and act according, to what they think is "cool" and "now". It sometimes feels a bit like living in a 6 million student high school.

I can't speak for Tyler; I've never spent much time there, but I think in general you have to take this modesty stuff you hear from Eisley in the press about how they're no-one at home and don't get any respect here with a huge pinch of salt. Despite no longer being the "next big thing" I think they still get a lot of love around here. And I would be willing to bet that most of the kids in Tyler worship the ground they walk on.

Oh yeah- Pitchfork stinks. Totally political. Their reviews of (or choice to simply ignore) artists have nothing to do with taste or quality, and everything to do with enforcing conformity and rigid in-group values. "Indy" is a joke. Any REAL independence gets you socially sanctioned by the "Indy" brownshirts (as the current-version Pumpkins learned the hard way).
Last edited by inorbit on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

When they blew up in Dallas weren't they playing there pretty frequently?

They rarely play in East Texas any more so there's no way for even a Tyler person to find out about them unless from somewhere down the line.

If they really wanted to build an East Texas audience they could have a Brewtones 'residency' and play every weekend a la Jon Brion at Largo. Wink

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/turn_it_up/2008/12/billy-corgan -di.html

and he's already responded to it on his own blog.

Originally posted: December 9, 2008

Billy Corgan dishes on the Smashing Pumpkins: The past is dead to me
Are rock bands meant to last 20 years?

“No, no, they’re not,” Billy Corgan said back stage Monday at the Auditorium Theatre. Which sounds a little odd coming from someone whose band, the Smashing Pumpkins, had just completed their 20th anniversary tour with a triumphant performance short on hits but long on drama and daring.

The tour was never smooth, with Corgan baiting his fans as much as sating them with a handful of Pumpkins oldies. When the Pumpkins opened a series of homecoming shows a few weeks ago, the 41-year-old west suburban native finished off the opening night at the Chicago Theatre with a combination rant/comedic monologue that angered many in his audience. “What do you want from us?” Corgan said with mock exasperation while fans booed or streamed toward the exits.

But on Monday the Pumpkins embraced delicate ballads, scorched-earth rockers and expansive psychedelia with authority. Corgan was in an affable mood, and the band ended the show by reaching into a coffin and tossing Christmas presents to the cheering fans.

It was a final joke from an artist who has always taken his work very, very seriously --- to the point of self-destructiveness. The 20th Anniversary tour and Corgan’s confrontational onstage antics are merely the latest examples of the band’s polarizing impact. Musically, the Pumpkins can still swing the heavy lumber. Only Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlin, the master drummer, remain from the original band. James Iha and D’Arcy Wretzky are long gone. The Pumpkins broke up in 2000, and Corgan says the “door was left open” for Iha and Wretzky to return when the band re-assembled in 2005. But things didn’t work out, and Jeff Schroeder and Ginger Reyes were enlisted to take their place.

The band’s 2007 comeback album, “Zeitgeist,” sank without a trace, but the retooled Pumpkins have developed a chemistry and power on the road since then.

Corgan, wrapped in a bathrobe and towels while chowing down on a post-concert steak, was upbeat and combatively optimistic about the future of Pumpkins Mach II. His message: We’re not a nostalgia band. “It’s not old band vs. new band,” he says. “It’s new band or no band.”

“Calling it a 20th anniversary tour, people expected greatest hits,” he says. “The casual fan who comes in and just wants to see the hits, they were not having it. But we’ve seen a real reactivation in the hardcore fan base.”

Tribune: Did the hostility of some of the audiences bother you?

Corgan: No, what bothers me is the notion that we’re done. We didn’t come back for the cash, we came back to be great again. It made me mad that people thought we’re done, that we don’t have a future. Get out. We don’t want you. We’ve never been that band. That happy band. We picked up where we left off. We’re not the retirement band playing our old hits. ... I don’t give a [expletive] that most of my heroes got lame when they turned 40. I spent most of the last decade thinking about that. Why do they go from this insanely high level of work to diminished echoes of the past? And I think it’s a coziness thing. You do something amazing and you don’t want to lose the crowd that tells you that’s amazing. You’re out in the cold. Well we like to be out in the cold. We’re done with the record business, so we’re free to do whatever I want.

Tribune: So “Zeitgeist” was the last album?

Corgan: We’re done with that. There is no point. People don’t even listen to it all. They put it on their iPod, they drag over the two singles, and skip over the rest. The listening patterns have changed, so why are we killing ourselves to do albums, to create balance, and do the arty track to set up the single? It’s done.

Tribune: So how will you release music?

Corgan: Our primary function now is to be a singles band, that drives Pumpkins Inc. through singles. We’ll still be creative, but in a different form. We won’t do shows like this anymore, where we try to draw a good crowd and balance the past with the present. We’ll go small and do exactly what we want to do and stop playing catalogue. We’ll be like a new band that can’t rely on old gimmicks. I’m not stupid. I want people to feel good about what we do. What we weren’t getting [from playing a more balanced show with older songs] was excitement. We’re in the polarizing business. We don’t want a pat on the back: Good to have you back. We want a reaction, even if it’s a negative reaction.

Tribune: People are still talking about that show you did a few weeks ago at the Chicago Theatre.

Corgan: Energy we can do something with. Apathy we can’t work with. Who’s above us? Who’s lighting the culture on fire? Nobody. We don’t have to live in that world. We have the biggest manager [Irving Azoff] in the world. He tells us we can get there, we will get there. We will crack the egg like we did in ‘92, without doing something embarrassing like working with Timbaland. We will find how to do our thing and make it work. I can write songs. We’re big boys. We’ll do it. Last time I talked with you, I said we’re going to come back and make a better album. The album we made surprised us. We kept going back to this primitive thing. We wanted to do “Siamese Dream II.” Elaborate, orchestrated, but it wasn’t coming from me. It put us back in this organic process, and in this position of fighting back to why we do what we do. Now I understand it. It’s the difference between intellectual process and emotional process. We’re sober, healthy, we understand the business we’re in, and the pragmatic reality of what it takes. We have the skill set, we always have, and we belong in the conversation, and we will kick down the door to get back in the conversation. You take a milquetoast middle-of-the-road fake-tattoo band, we can out-write them. If you come up with the songs, the fans will show up. We found with “Zeitgeist” that the alternative audience isn’t alternative anymore. They’re a pop audience that listens to Nickelback. So doing a 10-minute song, nobody will listen to it. We have to come up with singles like “1979,” and come up with songs that sound good on the radio. We have to write those kinds of songs.

Tribune: Why’d you break up the Pumpkins in 2000?

Corgan: The real story was Iha was driving me out of my mind. He was so negative. The guy literally drove me insane. When I walked out of that band, I didn’t know what to do anymore. I didn’t have a direction, a central focus. I wandered through different things, but I couldn’t find that central thing. As soon as I got back in the band my brain started working again. I was engaged again.

Tribune: Did you make a sincere attempt to invite back Iha and D’Arcy?

Corgan: Sincere in the sense that we have to allow them the opportunity. They have the right to at least have the conversation. We said the door’s open. We were met with complete indifference. Darcy doesn’t care. And James, it was a money thing. They haven‘t done anything musical since they left. They were never that into it. They were into it in ‘92, when it was fun. When it got crazy, everyone went their separate ways. It’s like a bad marriage. So we opened the door [to them returning]. But there was no way they were gonna want to work like we want to work, and take on the crap of the business again. But we gave them the opportunity if they wanted it. Now that we’ve found people who we trust and are really dedicated, the door is closed. They’re done. They’re never coming back.

Tribune: But why call it the Pumpkins? It gives people a chance to doubt the band’s legitimacy and your motives.

Corgan: It’s my band. Anyone who doubts the legitimacy of this band can go [expletive] themselves. That’s old thinking about bands. Show me any band that lasts for any tenure, they don’t have the original members. This world doesn’t care about that. They just want to hear the songs. They got karaoke singers now fronting big bands.

Tribune: You said a few years ago that you were going to try and keep your mouth shut and let the music be the story. But that hasn’t been the case.

Corgan: I tried that for a while and it wasn’t working. I’m cemented in an image. I have to move to France to change that. I’m not a humble musician, but I am a humble human being, I have perspective, I have God in my life. [In the band] we talk a lot about spirituality and about why God made us musicians and why we’re here to do what we do. And we have decided in our estimation that God put us here to try new things, and be innovators. With all that’s going on in the world, is that the worst thing?

Tribune: That would seem to be the artist’s role.

Corgan: Let me be blunt. When Bruce Springsteen puts out a new album I pay attention. Same with Neil Young. Because they’re major artists who have something to say. I consider us in that category. When we do something it should be taken seriously, even when we’re off. If we’re marginalized by the culture, we’re not going to play dead and say thank you for our B-plus status. I poured my blood into my songs. I’ve had a bad marriage and seven bad girlfriends in a row. I make sacrifices to do my work. That’s not victim talk, that’s nobody’s fault, that’s a choice I made for me.

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Wow, interesting interview ... But cool. I do hope they do albums again, though. But I can see it being frustrating when they are doing all of the work for no reward. Even if they made an album as good as their best pre-breakup work, it would likely not be judged fairly.

I like the Pumpkins, and probably always will. I'm glad they're not trying to do the "listen to our old album you really like and we'll give up on doing anything new" tour thing.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
indyice
Sea Post King

Don't you kind of feel that Billy really wants to be considered relevant again in popular music?
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Billy Corgan wrote:
Show me any band that lasts for any tenure, they don’t have the original members.

Radiohead and U2. 20+ years each with no change in lineup. And they're both a hell of a lot better than the Pumpkins could ever hope to be.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
Billy Corgan wrote:
Show me any band that lasts for any tenure, they don’t have the original members.

Radiohead and U2. 20+ years each with no change in lineup. And they're both a hell of a lot better than the Pumpkins could ever hope to be.

True.
Very rare though.

Do the Stones still have all except the one who died in the 60's?
What about the Eagles?

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Totally Missed out on this thread cause I didn't think it would be anything but talk about Sherri's liking the Pumpkins. I read the NYC reviews before I went to see them in the 1 night STL show, where they tried to bait the crowd but we were not having it, kill em' with kindness. It was funny to see him try to alienate with banter, and have no one bite. We just cheered anyway, and when the show came to an abrupt and unfamiliar end (the dreaded 16 minute Pink Floyd cover) it was definitely a buzz killer when the crowd did not rally for an encore, but then again, when the lights came up, everyone took that as a cue to leave, same with the Ryan Adams show at the Fox, which is available for download at http://www.archive.org/details/radams2008-10-04 There is some HILARIOUS banter with some rowdy crowd folks, so in both cases Two Batman fans did their thing in STL with neither being capable of the clusterbomb of riot-inducing insanity our great city loves! THank you AXL ROSE!

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

http://download.hyundaigenesis.com/RegistrationPage.aspx?downloadfilen ame=billy.mp3

Free download of a new song "FOL" that debuted on a Super Bowl Hyundai commercial.

You must give your e-mail address in order to obtain it.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
http://download.hyundaigenesis.com/RegistrationPage.aspx?downlo adfilename=billy.mp3

Free download of a new song "FOL" that debuted on a Super Bowl Hyundai commercial.

I saw something about him doing the commercial online, and the confusion and quasi-shock/ disappointment canceled each other out. I hope it's good.

*UPDATED* Not bad, going forward by going back to the heavier/ darker riffs. Just Glad it wasn't 16 minutes long and dirge-like. Very Happy

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
bigideas wrote:
http://download.hyundaigenesis.com/RegistrationPage.aspx?downlo adfilename=billy.mp3

I saw something about him doing the commercial online, and the confusion and quasi-shock/ disappointment canceled each other out. I hope it's good.

*UPDATED* Not bad, going forward by going back to the heavier/ darker riffs. Just Glad it wasn't 16 minutes long and dirge-like. Very Happy

I thought it wasn't bad either.

I don't know that I've ever seen someone debut a song via a commercial and then offer it as a free download.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>