Laughing City
sharrkmaster
Sea Post King

What are we missing in merch? What do you want to see us sell? Where do you want us to sell it? - merch table at shows, on-line.... what about retail stores?

An online merch store, duh.. but you already knew that. Seriously, if you would put up a variety of shirts, bags, caps, stickers, buttons, pins, whatever.. I'd buy them in a snap. I'd probably be broke, but it'd be worth it. I want to show my support for Eisley, and the only way to do that other than talking about them all the time is to wear their shirts! If I could buy some, I would. Smile

There's a possible gold mine here, Boyd. Razz

Oh, and retail stores would be cool. I know you guys already have the MacBeth studio project thing, but those are only women's shoes.. and I'm a guy who'd like some Eisley shoes as well. Or anything else for that matter. Eisley socks? Towels? Who knows.
Joined: 10 Mar 2008 | Posts: 136 | Location: Edmond, Oklahoma
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

I guess I'll chime in here. I hope my answers are coherent; they were written over the course of several hours with breaks, and while I was ill and often distracted.

Give us your Eisley wish list for 2009. What are you hoping for? Where do you want to see the band? (literally) Talk to us about Festivals that are a must, events... scenes... shows, tours. I won't ask which bands you want them to tour with because we're following that thread but feel free to include short list so all info will be here.

I hesitate to recommend a ton of festivals, because I know outdoor shows have not been kind to Eisley in the past (instruments detuning in the sun and whatnot), and nothing's worse than paying festival prices to see one band you like. But there are artists out there who seem to play festivals exclusively, or at least 75% of their time on the road, and I expect it could be very lucrative for Eisley. It's also a pretty easy way to snag new listeners who are just walking by. So with that in mind, I will suggest a few of the festivals that seem to be professionally run, in good locations, with consistently awesome lineups.

First is Bonnaroo. I haven't been since 2006, but I was really impressed with the way it was run--I believe Big Hassle is the company that puts it on. I had press passes so I got kind of an insider view, and those guys are pros. I don't think there's an artist out there who has anything negative to say about Bonnaroo, and Radiohead in particular sung its praises long after the '06 show was over.

I haven't been to Sasquatch, Outside Lands, All Points West, or Summerfest, but I've heard great things and they're largely tested and approved by my favorite artists (Radiohead again).

Beyond festivals, I just want to see Eisley on the road as much as possible. Please don't pass over Nashville like so many artists do. You guys have been great about coming here in the past. I would LOVE to see Eisley at Mercy Lounge, but I expect they're too big for an itty bitty venue like that now.

What are your expectations for Eisley? Where have we not met expectations? Dream small. Dream big. No wrong answer. Talk to us.

I know for a fact that Sherri and Stacy are killer songwriters, which is why I was so disappointed with Combinations. The caliber of songwriting I'd come to expect just wasn't there. From what I can hear of the new clips, it sounds like I no longer have to be worried about that.

As far as other expectations, the only entity not meeting those has been WB. I wanted to see videos for Combinations songs that would get on major websites like Yahoo! Music so we could vote for them and flood the polls and get Eisley another tour sponsorship or similar deal. Needless to say, that didn't happen, so let the label know that if they ignore album #3 like they did Combinations, they'll have to answer to me. Mad

Where do you see this band going from here? What's left to accomplish? Is their job on earth done?

Hmm. A lot of people would have considered their job on earth (in terms of prestige and exposure) done after touring with Coldplay, but I'm not sure Eisley's job will ever truly be done. Sherri has declared that they will never stop making music for us, and that's all anyone can ask, really.

In total honesty, I do not want to see Eisley playing stadium or arena shows. I don't think it suits them--they don't make grandiose U2 anthems or do crazy pseudopunk stage antics. I think Eisley is the kind of artist that will always be playing in medium-to-large clubs and music halls, and that is not a bad thing at all. There's a level of intimacy you can never recapture when you move up to arenas, though people try with acoustic interludes and B-stages and other gimmicks. Let them keep the gimmicks, and let Eisley keep their 1,000-2,500 capacity venues.

The way the industry is right now, it's enough of a goal to just survive and keep touring. I think to expect more from Eisley would be unfair, and since I love them just the way they are, all I want is to see them get by in this awful business. Keep touring. Keep spreading the love. All the rest will fall into place.

Do you like eisley because of their good vibe, their creativity, their home-spun brand, great music, their natural essence, their non rock-star attitudes or do you secretly wish that eisley was more bad-A and would just get out there, re-create/emulate what's out there? - i.e. same moves, gestures, language... same lifestyle you see in other rock bands?

I think there is a popular misconception that Eisley aren't badass. WRONG. There are many different kinds of badassery, and Eisley are the most deceptive variety: they look so innocent and sweet, but then they melt your freakin' face off. Nobody can listen to "Head Against the Sky" or "Many Funerals" and claim Eisley are not badass.

There is no need for them to emulate the so-called badassery so many other bands have mastered. Eisley's badassery owns all others.

What kind of record are you expecting? Short paragraph about your dream record from Eisley? What kind of songs - big ones, small ones, radio ones, creative ones that alienate them from the industry or ones that work on both sides? Big fat record? Indie record? More Rock, less rock? What's missing? What do you want in #3 that was missing in "Combinations"? What kind of packaging do you want to see for this cd? (jewel case, digi-pack?) Does Eisley have much to prove with this 3rd record or are they forging their own path and simply need to continue making music for as long as they can?

In terms of songs, all of the above. Room Noises was not the most coherent possible album, but it definitely showcased the incredible range Eisley have. Combinations was more homogenous and I'd like to see Eisley return to that earlier breadth of variety.

Third albums carry a lot of pressure. So many bands made it huge with their third album--that's around the time when you've paid your dues and people start to pay attention to you, regardless of your label's promotion for the record. It's hard not to feel that expectation when you're preparing for your third release, and to let it affect the way you write. I hope and pray Eisley won't be influenced by that pressure and will allow album #3 to develop organically and stay true to their vision. If the album is great, the world will notice.

Do you want them to get out on the road early or do the standard "set up" a month out like on Combinations? If they get out early, do you want to hear new music well before album is released or not? What is early? When do you expect to see the band? Winter...? early Spring? What about one-off shows? Where? A few big markets? (since they're recording, i assume you understand that a Fall tour is out) And do you think this long rest, delay, pause, vacation from "the road", the industry, publications, etc. will hurt them or do you sometimes think it's good for a band to hit it hard and then retreat (no over-saturated) ?

Get out there early... Two to three months before the estimated album release, maybe? Play new songs at shows. I absolutely loved that about the Final Noise tour, and it worked out well for Radiohead too.

I don't think the delay/vacation will hurt them. I think coming back strong and spending a good amount of time on the road is the best possible thing Eisley could do in advance of the new record to promote it themselves.

Do you want bigger shows or smaller shows? I refer to production... do you want lights, backdrops, smoke, strobes, dazzling additives, etc (you get the idea - "production") ... or do you just want the same ole indie eisley to get out there and perform like always, w/o props and fanciful's? Are you bored at their shows? Do they need to bring it to the next level? What is that level?

Lights and backdrops are good, but please no smoke and Coldplay lasers and crap like that. Eww. I don't think another level is necessary--the beauty of Eisley shows is that they're all about the music. No more, no less. And the music doesn't require anything extra.

Do you think that Eisley toured Combinations too much or too little? Should they do more opening for big acts or stick to headlining their own shows? How many times a year would you really be able to see the band anyway with so many other favorite bands out there?

They toured way too little. I think two short opening tours for semi-major bands will be sufficient, and the rest of their time on the road should be spent headlining. We know they can draw a crowd, so there's no point pairing them with more crappy pseudopunk bands. That would be a waste of time. When they open for someone, make sure it's a band that complements Eisley's style. When they headline, make sure their openers get along well with the band. That's all I've got to offer.

What about more acoustic touring? Some of you liked it.... some obviously just stayed at home. They were small clubs. What gives? Is it pointless or is this softer/organic presentation important to eisley's career? Perhaps the band just do more in-stores so fans can see their acoustic, stripped down version instead of trying to wax acoustic... (?)

As far as I'm concerned, acoustic sets are for in-store performances. When I go see an Eisley show, I want the whole shebang with electricity and amps and loudness.

A. Where is the industry going and how does Eisley fit? Where do you want to see them? - Mainstream, indie-stream, Radio/MTV, digital radio, college? Should they remain on a Major, move to a minii-major, an Indie, become completely independent?

and

Who are Eisley's peers? Who are eisley's fans? Describe yourself in a short paragraph. You can stereotype to help paint an easy picture to enjoy and interpret for others (i am a geek. I love to blah, blah, blah... or I am a jock... most popular in my high school.... or I am a cheerleader and love to get drunk at parties and am too sexy for myself, or i drive a truck with big speakers.... i raise the rock sign and listen to FM Rock Radio - The Offspring, Stained, Kings of Leon, Disturbed, Paramore, Linkin Park, Jonus Brothers, Kid Rock, etc. ... or i am emo - I love rage, cry a lot, nobody understands me, I wear tight pants and sport that big swoop-dee-doop bang thing that covers my entire headal region, smoke pot because my friends who hang out at Starbucks do... or I am a rebel, i am quasi-political, i want to lash out against society because because i hate my parents but i don't really want work or contribute because that would be giving in to the establishment... i just want to demonstrate something... Smile or I am a college student studying bio-metrics and listen to Ben Folds and Weezer because they rule... or I am a nobody and love music... or I am a gamer and mostly play Rock Band and old Nintendo )

A. I'm so glad you asked this. I don't think the mainstream industry is going anywhere Eisley want to be. If the record labels somehow figure out a way to turn a profit again, they'll just use it to sell the same old crap they've been shilling for the last thirty years. Eisley need to get out of there as soon as possible.

College radio is great and all, but I just can't help but feel that its impact on the music world in general is negligible. Maybe that's because my closest university has a really crappy radio station. I say tour the colleges, and get enough songs on their radio stations to do that, but focus more attention on satellite radio. The people who listen to Sirius/XM already pay out the wazoo for music, and are generally more inclined to buy CDs from artists they like. Capitalize on that demographic, absolutely.

I would be so happy if Eisley went completely independent (provided it didn't involve an ugly dispute with the label--is their contract up after the next album?). I also think it's the best possible thing that could happen to them. Everything that's holding them back now would be gone. And Boyd, you're already doing all this work, so they might as well not be signed at all. The people who are going to do right by Eisley are the ones who really care about the music, not the ones who are paid to act like they care about the music. Please ditch those people and do your own thing.

B. I'm mid-20s, a college graduate, seeking a music career on my own terms. I'm incredibly nerdy and fiercely independent when it comes to politics, religion, and schemes for hitting it big. My favorite artists include Radiohead, the Veils, Cat Power, the Verve, and Laura Marling.

As for their "peers"... well, Caucasian Americans ranging in age from 17 to 26, with religious backgrounds, seems to sum it up. But that doesn't mean their fans have to be their peers (or vise versa). I believe Eisley's music can appeal to anyone. This forum is a pretty good example of that.

How old are you? What percentage of your friends listen to or care about eisley? What about your siblings? Parents? Are you an influencer or are you influenced?

I'm 24. My circle of friends is pretty limited, but I'd say about half of them have heard of Eisley, and one quarter listen to them on any kind of regular basis. Four of them have come to shows with me. I would call one a "fan". My parents enjoy Eisley's music from when I've played it for them, but do not listen frequently.

I try to be an influencer--I've often introduced my friends to great bands by playing their music in my car when I gave people rides. I burn mixes for people and try to talk up great artists to those who haven't listened to them yet.

Who are you listening to right now? Do you listen to some new bands because they're "blowing up"? Or does that make you shy away? How do you discover new bands? friends, myspace, facebook, youtube, on-line? Do you go buy the record or download from itunes? What bands do you think eisley should not tour with? (like bands you fear they would tour with... no wrong answer)

Lately I've been listening to tons of Laura Marling, the Veils, Radiohead, Sleater-Kinney, the Pixies, Nicole Atkins, Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, R.E.M., and the Envy Corps. I tend to avoid bands that are "blowing up," partly because constant publicity makes me sick of them before I even listen, and partly because I like discovering new things on my own.

Sometimes I take recommendations from friends, but I only trust suggestions from a few of them whose musical taste I really respect. I'm on a few online communities for indie music, and I've found a lot of new and excellent stuff there. On several occasions I've started listening to bands thanks to this very forum. I don't expend a lot of energy seeking out new music, but I do enjoy scouring the Web now and then.

If I love an artist and have the means, I'll go buy the album at Best Buy.

I have few specifics to offer regarding the last question, but please no more pseudopunk.

Which relational sites or places on-line should eisley have key pages lush with content? Are people shifting from Myspace to other portals? Do you ever look at LastFM.com to see who else Eisley fans are listening to? Where is eisley NOT (on line)? Where is eisley lacking - on line? (besides merch) How can you help us? Ideas for on-line growth?

Please keep your Virb updated. I don't think it's necessarily the wave of the future, but it is one place where people will go when they get sick of MySpace. I like it so much better.

I don't keep up with many social networking sites so I can't attest to where Eisley needs a presence. But please don't get a Modlife, or any other social networking site that involves a subscription. One of the biggest reasons I love Eisley is that they've made all this great content available to their fans for free, from the Independent Recordings to your recording and tour journals.

What about the streets? Do you think WB has done a good job w/ street teams and promoting the band? Do you think they pushed? Would it matter? Why isn't eisley bigger? What would make them bigger?

I've said this before, but WB most certainly have not done a good job with street teams (how many times have they started one and done nothing with it?) or promotion. They didn't push, and it did matter. If WB wants Eisley albums to sell, they need to make them sell.

Eisley aren't bigger because the industry as a whole is ignoring its artists in favor of trying to bail themselves out of the mess they're in. Eisley would be bigger if they got out of that mess entirely.

Will you come see Eisley in 2009 or will you just get the music? How is the economy effecting your pocket book as it relates to supporting music? Do you think artists like eisley will get hurt in this new economy? Ideas for survival?

I will always shell out my hard-earned cash for great bands playing shows in my area. At times I've driven four hours just to catch a show by an artist I love. That having been said, I've seen Eisley four times now and I didn't go see them the last two times they played near me. Once I was working, but still. There's a certain amount of saturation that happens, and I'm holding out to see how album #3 shapes up before I buy tickets for their next tour.

Everyone who's not producing the basic necessities for survival is going to get hurt in this economy. I think artists need to get out as much as possible and try to find those magic 1000 "true fans" who have the means to support them through thick and thin. Beyond that, I have little advice for survival to offer... when you find out what the solution is, let me know.

What are we missing in merch? What do you want to see us sell? Where do you want us to sell it? - merch table at shows, on-line.... what about retail stores?

There's been a lot of buzz lately about alternative merchandise, special high-end T-shirts and albums on flash drives and junk like that. I'm not down with it. I believe nothing can ever supplant the good old unisex T and the 1" button or bumper sticker. Stick with the classics--Eisley fans love hoodies and vinyl. Once you reach a certain level of exclusive merch, it stops being profitable.

Please please please, bring back the web store. I think it would really do a lot to sustain the band, at least in part, during the lull between tours and albums. Sell the staples there, shirts and hoodies and buttons and vinyl, but have some tour-exclusive merch for sale at shows only. That's extra incentive not only to come to the show, but to spend more money while there.

I can't think of a retail store where I would want to see Eisley merch. The only retail store I know of that even sells band merchandise is Hot Topic, and I'd prefer Eisley stay as far away from that place as possible.

What do you want to see in my lo-fi studio videos this time around?

I really like the little video diary entry Stacy included in the most recent recording video. I'd like to see some of that from the rest of the band (if they want to do it). Other than that, just keep doing what you've been doing so well all these years. That's all I can ask from you, Boyd, and Eisley alike.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Ok, it's been sitting on my computer for about 3 days now ... I don't like my answers entirely (very wordy, too), but I'll go ahead and post anyway:

Give us your Eisley wish list for 2009. What are you hoping for? Where do you want to see the band? (literally) Talk to us about Festivals that are a must, events... scenes... shows, tours. I won't ask which bands you want them to tour with because we're following that thread but feel free to include short list so all info will be here.

I wish for Eisley to continue to graze whatever musical horizons they wish, as long as they maintain the same verve and love. And I want them to not be afraid to go outside the box and be adventurous. Maybe a dance song can mix with something that flirts with arena rock and hangs out with something out of a Disney movie? Why not? People are far too stale and narrow minded now. I would like to see them stick with mid-sized venues (the 500-1000 range, I guess), and hit up the festival circuit otherwise. I would like for them to open for bands that are more their "style," but I also want them to have fun and also continue to take advantage of their pull outside of their so-called realm. (So a random tour with a rock band would be in order.) I wish for an album that is 100 percent honest to them, and for them to finally get the attention and dedication they need. I think self-production is acceptable for Eisley's case.

What are your expectations for Eisley? Where have we not met expectations? Dream small. Dream big. No wrong answer. Talk to us.

The band not meeting my expectations? Not really. Maybe listen to critics a little less? It seems like the whole "need to be mature" thing hit a little too hard. But I think expectations are too greedy and selfish, so I have tried to remove them from importance ...

Where do you see this band going from here? What's left to accomplish? Is their job on earth done?

I personally think they can change music ... Maybe not to the tune of millions of fans, but to the tune of a true and powerful artistic legacy. I want to see them create their own path. Blaze a trail! Make it beyond music and make it Eisley.

Do you like eisley because of their good vibe, their creativity, their home-spun brand, great music, their natural essence, their non rock-star attitudes or do you secretly wish that eisley was more bad-A and would just get out there, re-create/emulate what's out there? - i.e. same moves, gestures, language... same lifestyle you see in other rock bands?

I like Eisley for who they are. I would be severely disappointed to see them conform to anyone's whims other than their own. Live or in studio.

What kind of record are you expecting? Short paragraph about your dream record from Eisley? What kind of songs - big ones, small ones, radio ones, creative ones that alienate them from the industry or ones that work on both sides? Big fat record? Indie record? More Rock, less rock? What's missing? What do you want in #3 that was missing in "Combinations"? What kind of packaging do you want to see for this cd? (jewel case, digi-pack?) Does Eisley have much to prove with this 3rd record or are they forging their own path and simply need to continue making music for as long as they can?

I would like a good mix. Just what comes naturally. I think the only thing missing in Combinations was the ability of the listeners to follow. Maybe more length? I dunno ... it was a very focused album, and I enjoy it a lot. Maybe it's a sense that so much was held back. It was a super focused set of love songs and it was delivered in a concise manner. But I personally think the albums could be much longer and more diverse. So I have no problem with Combinations, but I'd like to see other muscles flexed on No. 3. Rock is good. Musically, I think all was missing was more music. ha. I had no problem at all with songwriting, and I think they are improving a lot. I hesitate to give anything concrete for this answer, though ... I think the band needs to be who they are. Eisley is what Eisley does. Not dreamy Rhodes pop, or loud HATS rock. I don't want boxes for Eisley. Art without progression is just death. I'm rambling ... I feel good about what they want to do, and I'll be along for the ride. As far as packaging goes, it doesn't matter a lot to me. It seems like jewel cases are easily overlooked these days, though. I think all they need to prove is to show that they don't have to be stuck in the past to have that energy and magic.

Do you want them to get out on the road early or do the standard "set up" a month out like on Combinations? If they get out early, do you want to hear new music well before album is released or not? What is early? When do you expect to see the band? Winter...? early Spring? What about one-off shows? Where? A few big markets? (since they're recording, i assume you understand that a Fall tour is out) And do you think this long rest, delay, pause, vacation from "the road", the industry, publications, etc. will hurt them or do you sometimes think it's good for a band to hit it hard and then retreat (no over-saturated) ?

Lots of touring. I mean, there's a point ... but maybe a big markets tour, then another tour of smaller markets? I just know Eisley are at their best when they are on the road, and playing a show that allows them to connect to fans and not be shuttered away behind oppressive clubs and largeness.

Do you want bigger shows or smaller shows? I refer to production... do you want lights, backdrops, smoke, strobes, dazzling additives, etc (you get the idea - "production") ... or do you just want the same ole indie eisley to get out there and perform like always, w/o props and fanciful's? Are you bored at their shows? Do they need to bring it to the next level? What is that level?

I think a light show would be good. Not necessarily anything beyond backdrops, unless something is really amazing and neat. I could see them coming up with something awesome, though. Smile

Do you think that Eisley toured Combinations too much or too little? Should they do more opening for big acts or stick to headlining their own shows? How many times a year would you really be able to see the band anyway with so many other favorite bands out there?

Waaaay too little. It should have been a quick tour, but I can see that it was a bit too late to continue. But I understand why that happened ... I have seen Eisley 31 times and I could still backflip with joy after every show. I think I'm not a good person to ask. Smile

What about more acoustic touring? Some of you liked it.... some obviously just stayed at home. They were small clubs. What gives? Is it pointless or is this softer/organic presentation important to eisley's career? Perhaps the band just do more in-stores so fans can see their acoustic, stripped down version instead of trying to wax acoustic... (?)

I think the acoustic tour was a bit too long. It should be for small venues or something. Instores? Maybe an in-store tour? I really enjoyed it, but it was such a big tour for such an unusual setup.

A. Where is the industry going and how does Eisley fit? Where do you want to see them? - Mainstream, indie-stream, Radio/MTV, digital radio, college? Should they remain on a Major, move to a minii-major, an Indie, become completely independent?

and

Who are Eisley's peers? Who are eisley's fans? Describe yourself in a short paragraph. You can stereotype to help paint an easy picture to enjoy and interpret for others (i am a geek. I love to blah, blah, blah... or I am a jock... most popular in my high school.... or I am a cheerleader and love to get drunk at parties and am too sexy for myself, or i drive a truck with big speakers.... i raise the rock sign and listen to FM Rock Radio - The Offspring, Stained, Kings of Leon, Disturbed, Paramore, Linkin Park, Jonus Brothers, Kid Rock, etc. ... or i am emo - I love rage, cry a lot, nobody understands me, I wear tight pants and sport that big swoop-dee-doop bang thing that covers my entire headal region, smoke pot because my friends who hang out at Starbucks do... or I am a rebel, i am quasi-political, i want to lash out against society because because i hate my parents but i don't really want work or contribute because that would be giving in to the establishment... i just want to demonstrate something... Smile or I am a college student studying bio-metrics and listen to Ben Folds and Weezer because they rule... or I am a nobody and love music... or I am a gamer and mostly play Rock Band and old Nintendo )

Eisley's place is their own. They kind of own their own corner in my mind. But I think radio should be ignored completely. Same with MTV. Not a single cent or moment should be spent on either. I don't mind them on a major, but i don't like the idea of any label controlling what is a very fine machine. There is a weird niche out there for them. Radiohead rules that one, and they should dig at that.

Peers? Eisley is in some nerdy, geeky, funloving, diverse world. You can be a metalhead but still love them. You can only listen to folk, and you'll love them. It's a strange and wonderful world. I definitely think Ben Folds and Weezer are much closer than the FM Rock bands.

STARBUCKS MUST BE PURSUED WITH FERVOR. ha ha.

How old are you? What percentage of your friends listen to or care about eisley? What about your siblings? Parents? Are you an influencer or are you influenced?

I'm 28, and I'd say a huge chunk of my friends like Eisley. ha ha. My siblings aren't giant fans, but they definitely appreciate the music, even though it's very little like most of the stuff they listen to. My parents like what they have heard. I have no idea about that last one ...

Who are you listening to right now? Do you listen to some new bands because they're "blowing up"? Or does that make you shy away? How do you discover new bands? friends, myspace, facebook, youtube, on-line? Do you go buy the record or download from itunes? What bands do you think eisley should not tour with? (like bands you fear they would tour with... no wrong answer)

Mates of State, Metallica, Jenny Lewis, George Harrison, Eisley (of course!). I listen to bands when I run across then or hear the musicand like it. A lot are recommended by friends. I buy the record when I can, but I am a shameful downloader. I can't help if my musical appetite is more voracious than my ability to get money! ha ha. But also, if I truly love something and I know the band needs support, I'll buy the album as soon as possible. Mates of State ... I really suck at this answer.

Which relational sites or places on-line should eisley have key pages lush with content? Are people shifting from Myspace to other portals? Do you ever look at LastFM.com to see who else Eisley fans are listening to? Where is eisley NOT (on line)? Where is eisley lacking - on line? (besides merch) How can you help us? Ideas for on-line growth?

hmm ...

What about the streets? Do you think WB has done a good job w/ street teams and promoting the band? Do you think they pushed? Would it matter? Why isn't eisley bigger? What would make them bigger?

WB has done erm ... crap. They start and it's like a bad boyfriend. Changes for a week and then it's back to the norm. Dedication is important, and that's what has been missing.

Will you come see Eisley in 2009 or will you just get the music? How is the economy effecting your pocket book as it relates to supporting music? Do you think artists like eisley will get hurt in this new economy? Ideas for survival?

I will see them all I can afford. Maybe even more! I think if Eisley sticks with the traditional and dying industry standard, they will be hurt. If they are their true new age selves, they should thrive.

Online merch. Return of more affordable merch. Did I mention online merch? Also, shirts that are not so super thin, skinny-fitting and soft. A "normal" shirt might be very nice.

I dig the vids! The same will please me. The commentary from Stacy was a very nice touch, though. I could live with more of that.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thexrunaway
Golly, Poster

Saellys wrote:

A. I'm so glad you asked this. I don't think the mainstream industry is going anywhere Eisley want to be. If the record labels somehow figure out a way to turn a profit again, they'll just use it to sell the same old crap they've been shilling for the last thirty years. Eisley need to get out of there as soon as possible.

College radio is great and all, but I just can't help but feel that its impact on the music world in general is negligible. Maybe that's because my closest university has a really crappy radio station. I say tour the colleges, and get enough songs on their radio stations to do that, but focus more attention on satellite radio. The people who listen to Sirius/XM already pay out the wazoo for music, and are generally more inclined to buy CDs from artists they like. Capitalize on that demographic, absolutely.

My view on this is probably influenced by the fact that I worked on the #2 ranked college radio station in the country. But what you said essentially requires a good push at college radio, getting the singles on-air and doing at least a small college tour of some sort.

Also having interned with Sirius right before the merger I know they take a lot of their cues from college radio for example Vampire Weekend and Ra Ra Riot.

"My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end."

-Ayn Rand, Anthem

TheClassicRomance
Sea Post King

I would love to see some raw,indie-fresh EP's from Eisley. ICBTFY with the new intro.
Location-DETROIT!

I expect the same amazing,original wonderment that Eisley has always brought to us. I'd love to see another acoustic tour blow our minds.

I think that's up to the band. We would hate(stong,passionate hate.) to see the band go,but if they are not as passionate about the music they should go the way they want to.

All of the wonderful qualities listed above are what drew me into the BAND,not just the music. I have strong distaste for the Bad-A rockstar types. I love Eisley's comfy hominess.

Eisley should do what they want. More rock,less rock.Big songs,small songs. They never disappoint. I think Eisley should continue to forge their own path.

I'd like to see another acoustic tour,then a big bang after the record is out

I'm never bored at the shows. I think you should keep the tours low-key and high-class. I love the rawness-no smoke or fireworks.
Do you think that Eisley toured Combinations too much or too little? Should they do more opening for big acts or stick to headlining their own shows?

The Combinations set-up was superb. Tiny tour before,big tour after. I loved it! I loved the headlining tour

How many times a year would you really be able to see the band anyway with so many other favorite bands out there?
Eisley comes first.Period.

I LOVED the acoustic tour. Next.

Who are Eisley's peers? Who are eisley's fans? Describe yourself in a short paragraph. You can stereotype to help paint an easy picture to enjoy and interpret for others (i am a geek. I love to blah, blah, blah... or I am a jock... most popular in my high school.... or I am a cheerleader and love to get drunk at parties and am too sexy for myself, or i drive a truck with big speakers.... i raise the rock sign and listen to FM Rock Radio - The Offspring, Stained, Kings of Leon, Disturbed, Paramore, Linkin Park, Jonus Brothers, Kid Rock, etc. ... or i am emo - I love rage, cry a lot, nobody understands me, I wear tight pants and sport that big swoop-dee-doop bang thing that covers my entire headal region, smoke pot because my friends who hang out at Starbucks do... or I am a rebel, i am quasi-political, i want to lash out against society because because i hate my parents but i don't really want work or contribute because that would be giving in to the establishment... i just want to demonstrate something... or I am a college student studying bio-metrics and listen to Ben Folds and Weezer because they rule... or I am a nobody and love music... or I am a gamer and mostly play Rock Band and old Nintendo )

I'm a ...I'm... I don't know. I am a Baptist Christian. My family is important to me,but I'm very independent. I hover on the Indie Kid,Emo,and Nerd lines. I'm passionate about music,and animals,and books. I'm an extreme reader.

I am 13,but I'd like to consider myself mature. My mom,sister,and best friend love Eisley. Most of my other friends know of Eisley because we talk about it. But,alas, most of them are too foolish to see the beauty of it.

I shy away from bands that have "blown up." I discover new bands mostly by recomendation or diggin on my own.

As for my music, I'm crazy about music. The Classic Crime, Manchester Orchestra,Claude Debussy,Chiodos,Anberlin,Neutral Mlk Hotel,Brighten,Circa Survive,Death Cab For Cutie,The Envy Corps,Sufjan Stevens,Relient K,Muse,Radiohead,Vedera,piano music...on and on...

I like to buy CD's,rather than download.

I think Myspace users are mostly switching to Facebook,so that's wher it's at.

I don't think WB has done their job,frankly. I think more in-store shows at Apple,FYE,and such would definitely help.

I'll definitely see Eisley. The economy is getting worse,but for Eisley-we'll budget.

Hoodies! Bumper stickers and official Sherri art posters would be sweet. I'd like an on-line merch store better than to see Eisley stuff sold in chains.

Fun,and singing,and Eisley silliness.
TigerNightmare
Sea Post King

boyd wrote:

I personally have no desire to attend any festivals. I've only been to one concert at a large venue and the little girls that get squished would have to be carried and lifted out over my head, flailing and kicking on the way (and it hurts). I loved the show at Great American Music Hall in San Francisco and I'd like them to go back there or a place that's a similar size. But I'd understand that opening for larger bands in larger venues would be a great opportunity for greater exposure.

Quote:

Simply to maintain or surpass their current trend of creative brilliance and beauty.

Quote:

It's only a matter of time before more of Eisley's audience finds them. With each album being better than the last, they're going to be hard to ignore.

Quote:

First and foremost, I'm a fan because of their music. I love them as people because they seem to be some down to earth kids that I wish I knew personally. I don't think they should take anything besides mild inspiration from other bands and should carve their own creative destinies.

Quote:

I would like Chauntelle to take the lead on at least one song on the new album. I'm very interested in what she can do. I'd also like to hear an ambitious Brian Wilsonesque layering of vocals in a song that promises to sound absolutely beautiful with the girls' amazing voices. I feel like they don't have anything to prove to anyone but themselves. The existing fan base is sure to love it and any other success is just gravy.

Quote:

I'd like a significant amount of time to pass, maybe two months or so, before they start touring. Summer is the best time because that's when most people are free to see shows. I don't think anything they do is harmful as long as they're properly promoted and exposed. Touring with a bigger band again would attract hundreds of new fans, but getting a hit on MTV (if they still play music) would be of exponential greater benefit.

Quote:

I like their shows just the way they are. More than two songs for the encore would be good and I would happily pay more money for it. Gimmicks make a show more interesting but they don't make the music better.

Quote:

Touring with a bigger band would expose them to a new audience but, if the show's in a large venue, I don't think I'd attend. A headlining tour following a break following a supporting tour would be the way to go.

Quote:

The acoustic songs are nice, but pale compared to their more "complete" versions. An acoustic show would sound best if songs were tailored to sound best acoustically and not just stripped down versions of musically complex songs.

Quote:

I got into Eisley when they appeared on Late Night with Conan O'Brien. I get into a lot of bands when they play on Conan. They should always always always play on his show. I'm always finding that a lot of performers are getting exposure in commercials and TV shows and it might be worth looking into licensing songs for stuff and shows you like. Apple (which I'm not a fan of) has been playing The Submarines (who I love) and some other artists in their most recent commercials and there's tons of great shows out there with great soundtracks. I quit watching MTV when Beavis & Butt-Head went off the air and I haven't listened to the radio for about ten years.

Quote:
and

Who are Eisley's peers? Who are eisley's fans? Describe yourself in a short paragraph. You can stereotype to help paint an easy picture to enjoy and interpret for others (i am a geek. I love to blah, blah, blah... or I am a jock... most popular in my high school.... or I am a cheerleader and love to get drunk at parties and am too sexy for myself, or i drive a truck with big speakers.... i raise the rock sign and listen to FM Rock Radio - The Offspring, Stained, Kings of Leon, Disturbed, Paramore, Linkin Park, Jonus Brothers, Kid Rock, etc. ... or i am emo - I love rage, cry a lot, nobody understands me, I wear tight pants and sport that big swoop-dee-doop bang thing that covers my entire headal region, smoke pot because my friends who hang out at Starbucks do... or I am a rebel, i am quasi-political, i want to lash out against society because because i hate my parents but i don't really want work or contribute because that would be giving in to the establishment... i just want to demonstrate something... :-) or I am a college student studying bio-metrics and listen to Ben Folds and Weezer because they rule... or I am a nobody and love music... or I am a gamer and mostly play Rock Band and old Nintendo )

I'm a creep. I'm a weirdo. I'm just a lonely hopeless romantic that's socially retarded. My friends think of me as generous, patient, kind and sweet, but also overbearing, opinionated and stubborn.

Quote:

I will be 30 200 days from now. I tried to get one of my friends to listen to Eisley, but I don't think she ever found the time to. My friends resist my influence and I'm the hardest person to ever get into music. I usually find new music to love on my own. I don't know what my sisters listen to and my mother just leaves the radio on the easy listening station.

Quote:

I'm currently enjoying Ben Folds' new album Way To Normal and, while everything I own that I love is in regular rotation, some recent additions would include Honeysuckle Weeks by The Submarines, Follow The Dove by Castledoor and Tim's House by Kate Walsh.

I tend to discover new bands when they show up on Conan, have their song playing in one of my favorite shows or they open for a band that I see. I like having a hard copy CD to make my own rips from. I dislike purchasing mp3s that I could lose forever if my hard drive fails. I also dislike iTunes exclusive songs. There are so many other services available that Apple doesn't need to be the primary benefactor.

Eisley should probably avoid touring with boy bands, solo pop idol and pop country musicians and stick with standard rock bands.

Quote:

I'm not big on portal sites like myspace and facebook, but, one place I've been to that could use more Eisley love is ilike.com. There's currently over 50,000 Eisley fans on that.

Quote:

It's very difficult for a band to breakout today. MTV is mostly bad reality shows and radio is pretty dead. I don't know if WB or the street teams are doing well or not, but the only way I knew Eisley was even touring was because my interest in them had me check their website out. Some exposure to some international outlets couldn't hurt.

Quote:

For now, the economy isn't really affecting me personally, although it is extremely disheartening to see stores that I've always taken for granted, like CompUSA and Home Depot, close their doors all around the country. But nothing will keep me from buying albums and tickets for Eisley. I don't know if other folks will be hurting too much to see them play, but the price for the show I went to was beyond reasonable.

Quote:

You know those things where you put your face through a hole and you get your picture taken so you look like your face is in some scene? You could make a facehole for a groom with all the girls in wedding dresses. But I doubt you could make money with the Eisley fan polygamist photographer niche.

Quote:

Singing and playing!
Joined: 13 Oct 2008 | Posts: 13 | Location: South San Francisco, CA
Kit
Sea Post King

Wow....I wanted to see what Eisley was up to since it has been a while since I checked, so I came to the forum...to see this questionaire...so I'll give my input...

I guess I was generally hoping for another record by the end of 2009 I suppose, since there was a little over 2 years between Room Noises and Combinations. But, I want the band to be able to work at their own pace.

I live in Austin so I think venues like La Zona Rosa and The Parish are most appropriate for their size audience. In Houston, maybe the Meridian, The Engine Room, or #s.

As far as festivals, I tend to think that Coachella and ACL are the best. But then again, those are the only ones I have been to. I doubt I will be headed to Coachella again since I don't predict having the money to do that any time soon. I haven't been to ACL since 2006, but if Eisley comes to ACL, that will bring me closer to going again. But, I won't go to ACL if Eisley is the only band on the bill I want to see. There has to be at least 3 "must sees" to get me to cough up the $$ for a festival ticket.

What I expect and hope for are 2 different things. I generally just expect that they make good records, and that expectation is merely in place because I believe they will. What I hope for is that they are eventually embraced by a significantly larger audience. I honestly thought that would have happened within months after Room Noises was released. Between 2002 and 2005, they had so much momentum that I figured it was only a matter of time before they exploded commercially. So, I guess you could say that I had expectations that radio and the music buying public would be more receptive. I'm not sure what it would take for that to happen.

Oh man...I hope their job on earth isn't done. I always kind of imagined them growing as artists, keeping a size-able audience, and lasting well into their mid/late 30s at least. I mean, if financial and personal demands dictate otherwise, then that's unfortunate. But from an artistic stand point, I'm in no way ready to count them out.

I like them because I can tell by listening to them that there is a lot of musical exploration. They don't sound bored. They sound inspired. I find them to be genuine, friendly, and well, let's face it, easy on the eyes. I can see the band develop an edgier side without suspecting it's forced. There has always been an element of darkness in their sound that keeps poking out, but ultimately seems to get suppressed by the band's more whimsical, innocent side. I guess that doesn't fit as well between Katy Perry and T.I. on the hot 100. So yeah, Eisley could feel free to develop more of a bite, lyrically or sonically. Maybe more tone in the guitar? They might be too precious. Who knows. I've spent a good 14 years of my life listening to bands like Sixpence None the Richer, Cocteau Twins, The Sundays, Over the Rhine, and Innocence Mission. So, Eisley wasn't someone I had to get used to. I pretty much took to them immediately. But for someone weaned on top 40 radio, which let's face it, pretty much explains 90% of America, maybe it's harder. It's difficult for me to be objective about that. It's an ever-evolving musical climate and you never know who the music buying public will connect with as a whole at a given time.

Dream Record?...hmmm...tough one. I always thought the dream pop/shoegazer genre never got the commercial attention it deserved. But, that's probably due to the fact that those bands never really wrote songs that were commercial, and were less accessible in their vocal approach. I always kind of wondered what it would sound like if Eisley explored those genres while keeping their strong vocal presence and pop songcraft intact. I can totally picture their voices with delayed and MBV-ish guitars providing the sonic backdrop, provided they are still focused on writing pop songs. Would that make sense from a commercial perspective? Maybe, maybe not. But, it's always been one of those "what ifs" in the back of my mind.

Combinations was a good, albeit short record clocking in at 34:26 minutes. When I first listened to it, I was thinking "this isn't as good as Room Noises", but I spun it today and have come to the conclusion that it holds up. With the exception of Many Funerals, Invasion, and A Sight to Behold, it's a relatively calm record. I guess I would like to hear them try something noisier and more upbeat, while not heading into by-numbers pop punk territory that a lot of popular younger artists are all too tempted to explore.

I guess I prefer shorter songs. I don't dislike longer ones. I just tend to find myself saying "why is this song still going?" by the time a lot of songs hit the 6 minute mark. It's a good chorus, but it's not that good. You should probably stay within the 4 minute mark if you are not writing "Paranoid Android" or "Bohemian Rhapsody".

I've always felt Eisley is capable of rocking, which they sort of do on the original EP2 versions of "Telescope Eyes" and "Over the Mountains", and then songs like "Many Funerals", "Invasion", and "A Sight to Behold". They've always had that element of darkness and mystery. But if they start incorporating things like punk-ish sneers and spikey hairdos, I think it will come off contrived. So sure, feel free to rock. But what an older guy like me considers rock and what a 15 year old considers rock are probably different things. I don't look to Paramore or Fall Out Boy for a rock fix. As far as today-ish rock bands, I'm more likely to put on Kings of Leon or Queens of the Stone Age. Can I see Eisley rocking like those bands with all the swagger and irreverence? Not necessarily, but loud isn't always bad. So, if they want to be more assertive in grabbing that larger audience, maybe less "Come clean" and more "Invasion". I don't know. I'm listening either way.

I prefer jewel cases.

If Eisley has a goal of commercial success, then I suppose there is something to prove with each subsequent record. If they are just trying to grow as artists and make the best records they can make, I don't think they have anything to prove.

I don't have a preference as to when they tour. But I generally believe that a band should begin a tour shortly before, or right at the time of, a new record being released. Doing so helps it build momentum. I don't think Eisley is in danger of reaching a saturation point. They can start worrying about that after they have a hit, which I hope happens sooner than later.

I'm not necessarily drawn in by elaborate stage productions. However, I think for some bands, it fits their mystique..like The Faint for example. They have a very electronic dance oriented rock sound, so incorporating all the backdrops and lights augment their live experience. But other bands, just hearing and watching them play is enough. Eisley is that kind of band. I'm not bored at all.

I don't know the advantages/disadvantages to headlining vs. opening. I would think it's more important to be a on a touring bill that makes sense. For example, The Hives were tacked on a bill with Maroon 5. To me, that pretty much made no sense whatsoever. One time I saw Eisley and they were with a pop/emo band like New Found Glory, or something. While I don't think that band is completely outside of Eisley's universe, I felt the tours with The Elected or Coldplay made more sense.

I'm not real familiar with the length of time Eisley was on the road. As I mentioned before, I would try to catch them at least once.

In stores are never a bad idea in my opinion. That's one of the best ways to catch someone off guard and reel them in if they have never heard of you before, or perhaps had the wrong idea about you. Plus, it's never a bad thing when record store employees are into you. There is a Hastings in Round Rock, Texas, and I've caught them playing Eisley many times.

and

Who are Eisley's peers? Who are eisley's fans? Describe yourself in a short paragraph. You can stereotype to help paint an easy picture to enjoy and interpret for others (i am a geek. I love to blah, blah, blah... or I am a jock... most popular in my high school.... or I am a cheerleader and love to get drunk at parties and am too sexy for myself, or i drive a truck with big speakers.... i raise the rock sign and listen to FM Rock Radio - The Offspring, Stained, Kings of Leon, Disturbed, Paramore, Linkin Park, Jonus Brothers, Kid Rock, etc. ... or i am emo - I love rage, cry a lot, nobody understands me, I wear tight pants and sport that big swoop-dee-doop bang thing that covers my entire headal region, smoke pot because my friends who hang out at Starbucks do... or I am a rebel, i am quasi-political, i want to lash out against society because because i hate my parents but i don't really want work or contribute because that would be giving in to the establishment... i just want to demonstrate something... or I am a college student studying bio-metrics and listen to Ben Folds and Weezer because they rule... or I am a nobody and love music... or I am a gamer and mostly play Rock Band and old Nintendo )

I have no idea where the industry is headed. I've always suggested that it takes 20-25 years for a trend to comeback in some mutated form. We saw the 80s hit us again with everyone from The Killers to Avril Lavigne recycling those trends and feeding them to us like they were new. I think some form of early 90s alt rock is going to be back with a vengeance by at least 2012. So, maybe Eisley can be the next Cranberries? heh. The 80s were well known for everything sounding processed, slick, over produced, and glamorized. That's kind of the way things are now. Everything sounds too perfect. Time to slop it up again.

I am a 34 year old man who discovered Eisley at age 28. I work in customer service for a computer co. that has quite a large profile. (I'll just say that they lead the market in online digital download sales right now.) I definitely consider myself a music geek, but not necessarily with pure music geek tastes. I don't listen to Deerhunter, Deerhoof, Wolf Eyes, Devandra Banhart, or F*** Buttons, etc. But I went through my 2008 music smart playlist in iTunes and I have purchased the following either new, used, direct from artist, or on emusic: Adele, The Afters, Alanis Morrissette, Bauhaus, Beach House, Beck, Bon Voyage, Cat Power, Code of Ethics, Coldplay, Cut Copy, The Dandy Warhols, Death Cab for Cutie, Drive-By Truckers, Elbow, The Faint, Fleet Foxes, The Fox Glove Hunt, The Fratellis, The Gaslight Anthem, Goldfrapp, Hammock, The Hold Steady, Hooverphonic, Hot Chip, Ike Reilly, Janet Jackson, Jars of Clay, Jem, Jenny Lewis, Katy Perry, King's X, Kings of Leon, Ladytron, M83, Marah, Metallica, The Mother Truckers, My Morning Jacket, The Myriad, Nada Surf, Nine Inch Nails, Oasis, Okkervil River, Ours, Portishead, R.E.M., The Raconteurs, The Raveonettes, Robyn, Ron Sexsmith, Santogold, Scarlett Johansson, She & Him, Sigur Ros, Sixpence None the Richer, Sloan, Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks, Tift Merritt, Toadies, TV on the Radio, Uh Huh Her, Vampire Weekend, The Verve, The Walkmen, The Weepies, The 77s...and these are just the full album purchases. And I'll say that I like Eisley more than 85% of those acts.

Again, 34...my bro likes them, and I have a few friends that like them, but probably not as much as I do. I visit a few message boards and I only know one that really does not like them at all. I know a guy who used to be in a highly influential underground band in the CCM market, even though for the most part he can't stand CCM. He said that he saw Eisley at Cornerstone a long time ago (probably when they did the new artist showcase) and he thought they were a breath of fresh air in comparison to everything else. But, when he heard the Combinations record last year, he only liked "Invasion" because everything else was too "girly" sounding.

I've been re-visiting older music for the most part...been picking up some Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, and lots of XTC, but still listen to my 77s, Over the Rhine, and Depeche Mode records too. I've been mostly disappointed with new releases this year, but I do like the new Jenny Lewis and Drive-By Truckers quite a bit. I'm not really influenced by how big a band is. Again, I have no qualms about admitting to being a music geek, but I can't say I don't like those disposable hit single...I'm STILL not tired of "I Kissed a Girl" and I knew it before it was a hit. Sad I know. I will say I'm pretty much finished with rap...

I guess I find out about most of what I listen to from message boards, magazines, friends, and just good old fashioned personal research. Music channels and radio stations rarely play any kind of significant role.

This isn't an area of authority for me really...they have the myspace presence, and as far as I know - the Facebook presence as well. I don't use lastfm. I'm not sure where else they need to be. I do like to read their interviews in magazines, although I do recall one mag kind of botched up the interview with a lot of insignificant things. I like Under the Radar, Filter, and Paste the most, but I also read Magnet, Rolling Stone, Q, Blender, Billboard and Spin. I don't like Revolver, Outburn, and it's rare I open an issue of Alternative Press.

I don't know what WB is doing, but there did seem to be less hype behind Combinations than Room Noises. I never assume a label isn't doing anything just because a band hasn't exploded yet. I've always thought Eisley has a lot of commercial crossover potential. I just thought it would happen sooner. They really just need a hit. It's difficult to truly assess what makes a song resonate with a large number of people. I've heard people suggest that Eisley's lyrics aren't commercial enough? But, it's not like abstract or even non-sensical lyrics always stand in the way of a hit. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" doesn't mean anything and it was an out of the gate smash coming out of a period where Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer were megastars. Maybe it was the music?

I was able to catch their in-store at Waterloo when Combinations was released. I also saw The Parish show. I am a fan, but I'm not the rabid "must attend every show" kind of fan. May have something to do with my age I suppose. But, I have been a fan since Feb 2002 and still am today. If they toured, and of course I wish they would, I'd make it a point to catch at least one of their shows I'm sure.

I'd be lying if I said I don't worry about the economy. I've even considered selling my autographed copy of Mosseisley EP2 on ebay along with other rarities, but I can't bring myself to do it.....yet. If I do end up reducing my music budget, I'm pretty sure I would find a way to get a new Eisley record since they are one of the bands I'm a little more excited about.

Hmmm...I'm not that acquainted with Eisley's merch selection. If I bought anything, it would be a t-shirt, CD, or maybe even a live DVD. Stickers, posters, ringtones, caps, bags, etc aren't something I'm all that interested in.

Haven't seen those. I'm missing out, huh? Smile
KH Vandread
Sea Post King

Anywhere in central Texas since that is where I live. Seeing you guys in Austin was phenomenal and there is no doubt in my mind that I'd attend as many of your shows as possible. Pick a venue, I'll be there. I tried seeing you guys at San Antonio at the end of the Combinations tour, but was unable too due to distance, gas money, etc. There is a chance I may move up to the Dallas/Arlington areas for college, so hit up a few locales there as well, just in case.

Though, to be specific, I'd love it if you could make it to SXSW in Austin next year. Think you might be able to make it?

Honestly, I don't know what to expect from you. Surprise me ;D

Lord no, your job most certainly isn't done.

I love you for what you are, what you do, how your music makes me feel...everything. I know I speak for most, if not all, people here when I say this: don't you ever change.

Oh geez, I have no idea. Just do whatever comes naturally. I love both Room Noises and Combinations and have a tough time picking a favorite. They both have a different feel to them, but at the same time retain Eisley's essence. What that is, exactly, is something I have no idea how to even begin to put into words. I expect the third album to be just like that. It will bring something new to the table; something we've not yet experienced from you, yet still familiar in a sense.

As for packaging, that's beyond me. I do know that I don't have the best luck with jewel cases though, so...

Just do whatever is best for the band. So long as you keep making music and tour where I can see you, it's all fine on this end.

I don't think I've never viewed Eisley as one for over elaborate production. I've only been to one concert and it didn't have any fancy gimmicks and I loved it. Personally, I see Eisley doing best remaining as they are, at a more personal, intimate level with their fans.

By the time my friend got me into Eisley's music, it had been too late to except the last one.

As I said before, tell me when your in the area and I'll be there. Having listened to some acoustic versions of different songs, I can tell you right now that I'd be all for an acoustic show, no question.

This is a bit of a tough one. I think I'd much rather Eisley stay under the radar. As much as I'd love for you guys to become well-known big shots, I fear that overexposure would result with your songs being overplayed on the radio and a spawn of idiotic fans who would ruin you >:

and

lmfao Oh God, I love your stereotypes.

My friend Rich got me into Eisley sometime at the beginning of this year, and since then, I've done my part, and still am, of spreading your music to my friends. I've lent the albums to my friends at school and linked my friends online to videos and such, many of which said they liked you. Granted, most of my friends, specifically those at school, have different tastes in music, so I wasn't about to lead them to their new favorite band, but they still liked you all the same.

Oh dear, let's see. Ever since I got into Muse and Eisley after that, I started listening to a lot more music than I had before, much of which I credit Eisley for leading me to in one way or another. I'd say one of my current favorite bands is Portugal. The Man, though I'm not sure if both bands' sounds would be particularly compatible. I think I could see Eisley tour Death Cab for Cutie, The Hush Sound, Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin though. Give Melee another shot? Keane and Mae, perhaps? Eh, I really don't know. At this point, I'm just listing off names of bands I've been listening to. Though, given the number of bands Eisley has been a gateway for, I'm pretty sure that I'll enjoy whoever you tour with in the future.

Shifting from MySpace? Ha! I finally caved and made one after years of being so adamant about not making one. Still need to get around to making that Facebook I told myself I would...

I digress. Really, I don't think that there is anywhere you could advertise your craft that could possibly hurt you. Go anywhere and everywhere.

Eisley has a street team? That's news to me >.>

Personally, I don't know what is going on there, but I'd say that the fans are the biggest way of getting the word out. Hell, we don't even get paid to do that and we get the job done far better.

Oh God yes. I'll do both. If I like a band well enough, I'll try to buy at least one album. Since Eisley is probably one of my all time favorites, I'll probably be setting up a second bank account just for you guys.

Well, OK, not really, but you get the idea.

More of anything really. I love the shirts I got from the Combinations tour, although I have no idea where one of them is ;_;

As for anything new, I haven't a clue. I'm sure you guys are creative enough to keep us emptying our wallets.

WE WANT BOYD! WE WANT BOYD! >:3

Also, I know that the DuPree family is protective of their private life and all (as you should be), but just seeing you all just hanging out with one another is possibly as great as seeing you perform. After all, the witty banter between Sherri, Stacy and Chauntelle is arguably one of the most enjoyable parts of seeing you live. So uh, more of that, maybe?
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

While it's still 2008, I finally finished up the dangling pieces of this hodgepodge answer-naire which my inner Cable Guy has been urging me to Git'Er Done. (I know there's a much better reference out there somewhere but my noggin is halfway into hibernation.) I used to be a lot better answering questions - once I was the Essay Answer Emperor. Or maybe King, but surely at least a Jack. But in taking this seriously I find that my answers were fractured and didn't mean much broken up individually, so I opted to give a piecemeal summary instead. If I say anything that comes across as harsh or blunt, please understand that my intentions are constructive and emerge from a sincere appreciation, concern & love for the band, blah blah et cetera and so forth. Now on with the show.

>>Do you like eisley because of their good vibe, their creativity, their home-spun brand, great music, their natural essence, their non rock-star attitudes or do you secretly wish that eisley was more bad-A and would just get out there, re-create/emulate what's out there? - i.e. same moves, gestures, language... same lifestyle you see in other rock
bands?

I like Eisley because of their good vibe, their creativity, their home-spun brand, great music, their natural essence, their non rock-star attitudes. All of it. Start with the music & creativity, and then all those other elements elevate their status. They make special music, they seem like special people (as in unique special, not shortbus special), and inspires enough goodwill that I've made LC my online home away from home above all other forums. As an aspiring nonconformist, I just have a deep respect for people who do things their own way, when doing things someone else's way could greatly benefit them.

From current appearances, an EP release is not likely before the end of the year. (Ed. Note: Still 9 days left!) So in 2009 would like to see an EP appear in the Feb-April range, or an LP in the July-Sept. window. Preferably both - it's a wish list, remember? Sounds like they have the material, I know they have the ability, becomes a matter of mashing them together along a schedule.

>>And do you think this long rest, delay, pause, vacation from "the road", the industry, publications, etc. will hurt them or do you sometimes think it's good for a band to hit it hard and then retreat (no over-saturated) ?

To my eye, they're a long way from even reaching the outskirts of Overstaturated City. In an interview a couple of months ago the Mates of State couple said they toured 300 days a year during their first couple album cycles, which helped them gain a buzz and recognition but MoS is hardly a name on everyone's lips. Names fade so rapidly from memories, even for groups who sell millions, so in this regard I think Eisley's engine could fire a little more rapidly. That means MORE touring to support/promote their hard work. With more hard work! Now that doesn't seem right, ha.

>>Do you think that Eisley toured Combinations too much or too little? Should they do more opening for big acts or stick to headlining their own shows? How many times a year would you really be able to see the band anyway with so many other favorite bands out there?

They did not tour enough. If feasible, a mix of opening slots and headlining shows, say a 25/75 split. Truthfully I would probably only go see them as an opener if I was also a fan of the headliner. Shorter sets suck and always leave me wanting more and I'd always want to see them as the main act.

>>What about more acoustic touring? Some of you liked it.... some obviously just stayed at home. They were small clubs. What gives? Is it pointless or is this softer/organic presentation important to eisley's career? Perhaps the band just do more in-stores so fans can see their acoustic, stripped down version instead of trying to wax acoustic... (?)

I love the acoustic renditions, but if it was an either/or situation, I would have to favor turning the knob to eleven. The acoustic aspect is neither pointless nor exceedingly important - it lies somewhere in-between. A welcome side that showcases their diversity.

>>What are your expectations for Eisley? Where have we not met expectations? Dream small. Dream big. No wrong answer. Talk to us.

It's a quandary for the band, but also to be a fan of the band. How big is big enough? How big is TOO big? I would love to see them all sitting on thrones of caramel and wielding red licorice scepters. I believe Eisley should have a broad appeal - guys & girls, young & old. Their music transcends the usual market barriers. The double-edge to that sword is that it is harder to classify (i.e. demographically target) them. Unfortunately it's bad sign though that I happen to like them, a red flag for any act hoping to 'hit it big.' Wilco. REM. Sheryl Crow. U2. That's about it. There must be others but they aren't leaping to mind.

>>What kind of record are you expecting? Short paragraph about your dream record from Eisley? What kind of songs - big ones, small ones, radio ones, creative ones that alienate them from the industry or ones that work on both sides? Big fat record? Indie record? More Rock, less rock? What's missing? What do you want in #3 that was missing in "Combinations"? What kind of packaging do you want to see for this cd? (jewel case,
digi-pack?) Does Eisley have much to prove with this 3rd record or are they forging their own path and simply need to continue making music for as long as they can?

Dream record from Eisley would include the following elements - not on every song mind you! :

--Sweeping orchestral flourishes

--Large expansive sound

--Interesting instrumentation - a violin here, a Marxophone there. "Combinations" did this very effectively.

--A crackerbarrelful of Sherri & Stacy intertwining vocals, sometimes singing the same thing and sometimes NOT singing the same thing

--LOTS of songs, 15 sounds like a good number

--Chauntelle contributes a song and/or some vocals - the more DuPree voices, the better!

--NO song names with the dreaded "Featuring" tag

--Weston & Garron finding more kickazz grooves

--Some rock, some not rock, and at least one Stacy country-flavored specialty (Golly Sandra, Ten Cent Blues)

Eisley has nothing to prove but a lot to explore, and I want to go on that journey with them wherever it leads, even over the precipice. The Combinations DVD is fantastic, I especially love the live concert portion and would encourage another DVD release. Maybe even as it's own release, I've noticed a proliferation of DVDs in the store by indie bands so they must be fairly quick to turn a profit.

>>Who are eisley's fans? Describe yourself in a short paragraph. You can stereotype to help paint an easy picture to enjoy and interpret for others

Music is so woven into the fabric of my life that I would be naked without it. But I am difficult to please, 96% of what I hear I discard or dismiss. There are big hype groups that don't move or impress me, a couple shocking examples are Radiohead and Neil Young. But I'm no indie snob because I also like ABBA and get this, one of my recent discoveries has been Christina Aguilera, perhaps you've heard of her. Get past the image and trash mags and you find a girl with some PIPES, a virtuoso voice trapped in a popstar's body. So I try to keep an open ear for anything that clicks. If you want to get really music geek with me, here is My 100 Favorite Music Artists list (ranking & info pre-Combinations, geez I need to update!)

>>How old are you? What percentage of your friends listen to or care about eisley? What about your siblings? Parents? Are you an influencer or are you influenced?

I'm in my 30s and am an influencer. I've pushed Eisley on just about everyone, a few have stuck and many haven't. I'm often bemused when I wonder what in the hell I can possibly have in common with a gaggle of girls down in Texas that they can have an impact on my life?? Music just has that indescribable ability to achieve a greater transcendency.

>>Who are you listening to right now? Do you listen to some new bands because they're "blowing up"? Or does that make you shy away? How do you discover new bands? friends, myspace, facebook, youtube, on-line? Do you go buy the record or download from itunes?

I find new music by making mix CD trades and online listening arenas - often MySpace, also Pandora or similar sites. Respected friends who make recoms are very important. If I hear a lot of talk about a band, say like with the Arctic Monkeys (pretty good), Strokes (derivative), and Yeah Yeah Yeahs (yeah!) a few years ago, I like to find out for myself. I download only when not available in physical form - still something of a fidelity freak here.

>>Why isn't eisley bigger? What would make them bigger?

Whoring it up obviously, but thank god that ain't gonna happen. The DuPree house would make an ideal reality show setting, but then they'd have to learn how to not get along better. How about platform heels to make them bigger? (Har.)

>>Will you come see Eisley in 2009 or will you just get the music? How is the economy effecting your pocket book as it relates to supporting music? Do you think artists like eisley will get hurt in this new economy? Ideas for survival?

Licensing, licensing, licensing. Get them on soundtracks or in films, their music is in technicolor to start with so it's a natural fit. And commercials. Look, I'm as snobby as the next guy about the concept of selling out, but I think you'll find over the years it has become much more acceptable in the eyes of the public. Even Bob Dylan appeared in a Victoria's Secret ad, but that had no effect on his reputation. Now when a snippet of the Shins is played on a commercial I think, "Good for them, now they're getting some deserved money in their pockets." And I think most people feel the same way.

The music industry - People will still spend money on music they enjoy - they will not be as ready to plop down $18 for 1 or 2 singles surrounded by 10 tracks of garbage anymore. And guess what, 80% of the top sellers are precisely those kinds of acts. You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all the people all of the time, and the industry is now facing that fortune cookie fact. I can forsee artist partnerships forming, co-ops of musicians who share similar styles or beliefs. Like United Artists did in the film biz. Some of this is already happening.

Oh yeah, will certainly try and see them if they're in the area, and hopefully Java Joe's can help attract the latte of yallz back.

>>What do you want to see in my lo-fi studio videos this time around?

Interviews - nothing formal, just ask them questions like "What do you like about that guitar or this studio?" Just aim the camera and catch 'em off-guard with, "Who makes the best chicken noodle soup?" to the point that they get paranoid whenever you remove a lens cap.

That's it. Maybe someone will still read this thread, and if so my condolences. I'll take this moment to wish ALL the DuPrees & associated Eisley connections a joyous Christmas and prosperous 2009. There's nobody else like you goofballs so please keep coming back with more! Smile

emilytheanteater
Sea Post King

A new album of course. It would be awesome if Eisley could play at UC Irvine. The student body government, ASUCI, are always hosting events where many indie rock bands are booked. Matt Costa, The Jakes, and Low vs. Diamond have played at our school before.
(use font color to code this and simply toss in this color so
I'll have uniform color-analogous response: #c9d577

That the new songs will be something no one has heard before. I want more unique and original music that even Eisley have never sounded like before. And hearing from the 17 seconds of that new song you
let us hear, it's a VERY good start. =)

NO! Their job has just begun! I can feel it in my bones that Eisley is soon to break one of music's largest milestones in their music, despite all the other ones they've already broken. Honest, no other band sounds like them at all!!!

One of the biggest reasons for why Eisley is my favorite band IS because they are different than other rock bands. You're down to earth and I can totally relate. You guys constantly keep us updated on news with blogs and photos. Other bands don't even take the time to care to do this for us.

Eisley should keep doing what they’ve always been doing. I love the originality of the songs. Perhaps the 3rd album should have a wider variety of the types of songs they already have. One that really rocks, one indie-type, one that really shows that they’re from Texas. Maybe a couple more mainstream-type songs could get them on the radio more often, but I like Eisley BECAUSE it’s not mainstream so songs that are totally unique from the more popular hits on the radio is a better way to go.

I’d rather hear the album first to get a feel of the songs before I see Eisley in concert, that way I can enjoy it more cuz I’m more familiar with them. Eisley should go on tour when they are at their peak performance level. That means I’d rather wait longer for a better more rehearsed concert than have them rush right into it. Taking a good long break allows the band to think over what they’ve accomplished and what else they would like to do. And it also sets for a distinct change (in a growing sense) in the band. I want Eisley to stay in the small/medium venues and NOT the large ampitheatres. Keeps the crowds smaller so we can get closer to the stage.

Well seeing that I’ve only been to one of their concerts, besides an acoustic show, I was really impressed already. If you want to add in random props like trees/more overhangs, go for it. It would make the stage more coloful, though I feel what they have had is really nice already. Maybe some smoke/laser beams would be cool for some of their more rock songs, but I like things indie.

I think Eisley has grown enough that they have just their own shows. It would still be cool to see them open but only because it would simply mean more chances to see them. At least one show in my city/area per year would be awesome.

I LOVE the in-store shows!!!!!!!!!!!! Gives us a really high chance to getting to meet the members and get autgraphs and such. Keep the acoustic touring way up. It makes Eisley stand out more.

I feel like they fit in more in colleges. Indie-stream would be nice but I don’t know if I want to hear them mainstream, cuz then it takes away the specialness that this band has. Keep it indie, real indie.

I am a sophomore college student with a bio major, a french minor, and a psychology
Minor. Can you say overachiever? Hahaha jk jk, just trying to get into med school here. I think I’m like the only one out of my friends that listen to indie music. The rest are either mainstream rock or mainstream hip-hop. I love all kinds of music but I have to say rock is my all-time favorite, especially the more hard-core rock songs. Some metal. System, Scars on Broadway, The Offspring, Pink, paramore, all the mainstream stuff. But I do LOVE indie rock A LOT. SSLYBY, The Jakes…

I’m 19. In my entire life I’ve met only 1 person who knows of Eisley, 1 person who actually is a fan, and 2 people of whom I was able to influence into liking Eisley. A lot of my friends refuse to listen because Eisley indie and not mainstream, but the few that I’ve gotten to sit down and take a good listen, they end up liking a few of the songs very much. These people are of course outside the realm to ppl I’ve met at one of the concerts/acoustic shows. I think I was actually influenced into Eisley. I first saw one of their video blogs on myspace and listened to like 2 songs, googled them a bit and kinda forgot about them. But then I somehow a few months later I randomly decided to listen again and found that it was rather soothing music to study to. And after a week or so, it was my first ever declared favorite band.

I don’t think Eisley should EVER tour with massive hits like the Jonas Brothers or Hannah Montana. These teen boppers quickly fade away and I don’t want Eisley to be associated with them. Pick who you guys go on tour with carefully. Make sure the other bands’ music is actually good and not just because their popular. I discover new bands by chance. Most indie bands through myspace, in the friends list. And Sherri and Stacy and everyone else in Laughing City have pretty good recs too.

Myspace I barely use anymore. Facebook is more popular for me but seeing that many fans were not familiar with it, it’s not the best to keep us updated on it. But it’s still nice to see them on facebook. Most fans check the main site regulary anyways so keep that updated and we’re all good.

I havent’t seen Eisley street teams at all. It would be better to hit college campuses with concerts since many indie music lovers are college students. We can get the word out fast.

This is why I think Eisley should tour after a good long break to ensure that they sell lots of tickets. If they tour too many times a year, I’d only be able to afford maybe one show. Great loss of time and money for Eisley. I’d consider seeing them in concert again. It was a pretty long road trip and A LOT of planning to do and money to spend just for me and my roomie to get to that ONE concert we went to. But it was totally worth it.

More hoodies!!!!!! They sold out of the smaller sizes by the time Eisley reached California… =( I’d also like buttons and tour posters. Get the CD’s out in stores more. I saw the Combinations CD once at Target but wasn’t that big of a fan at the time so I didn’t get it. Now I’ve been checking the sections everywhere I go and can’t find them anywhere.

The group members goofing around and just being themselves. It’s funny. HAHA!

Anarr
Sea Post King

anywhere in south carolina, the handlebar in greenville, sc is really nice and i know eisley has been there at least once.

i dont really have expectations for you guys, i just don't want any huge changes like, oh hey by the way, we're going to be a hip hop group from now on, of course, now that i think about it, that sounds really entertaining...ha

i see them hitting it big, i've only been a fan for a couple of years, and i can already see a huge difference in the amount of fans. i just hope that if they do make it "big" they won't become cocky and stop being as personal as they do. that's the main thing i love about bands like eisley, how personal they can be

there is no way i would be happy if they were more "bad-A" i like eisley for exactly all of those reasons you mentioned and more, it's hard to explain.

they don't need to prove anything, that seems like it would take away the fun, but i think they just need to keep the amount of rock from combinations with the same amount of imagination in room noises. also it should come out on vinyl also, i know of some LP's that have codes to download the album online, that way you can have it on your iPod and as vinyl. i think a lot of us here are huge vinyl fans, so that would be pretty stellar.

spring is a good time to see bands on tour i think. if it's before the album comes out, yeah i'd like to hear some new songs, but not tons about two, three, or four.

im never bored at the shows, the setup on the mute math tour was perfect i think.

i think the acoustic tour was a perfect fit for combinations, and then right after that was the mute math tour, and even though it wasn't them headling, it allowed us to hear the album live acoustic first, then get to hear it come to life on the mute math tour. headling, for sure. eisley is on the top of my list for favorite bands, so i'd go and see them 2-3 times a year.

i loved the acoustic tour, but it wasn't my favorite. i think in store performances before some shows would be better, if they had time.

17 almost 18, all of my friends know of eisley and almost all of them love them. i have no siblings, but my parents enjoy going to their concerts. im influenced not only by their music, but by how they act and plus sherri inspired me to draw....so i feel because of that i have a strange bond with them.

im listening to a lot of stuff - neutral milk hotel, midlake, cut copy, culture prophet, morning benders, kings of leon, mates of state, MGMT, copeland...etc etc. i usually don't listen to bands that are "blowing up" i find bands through friends, myspace, facebook, basically online...i will download some songs, and if i like it, buy the album on iTunes or buy the CD....im huge supporter of CD's though, so sometimes i buy both the iTunes album and the CD from stores. i would not want to see them with bands like the fray...that was why i didn't see them on that tour. basically any blown up bands are no good, because it tends to make ticket prices more expensive, and usually its not in clubs where you wait in line and rush to the front, you have to buy seats and usually end up with horrible seats.

im a huge myspace-er, but im glad the band has facebooks instead of myspaces for some reason. i don't think they are lacking that much online, and yes i do check out last.fm about other fans.

i think there could be a totally better street team. i dont know what would make eisley bigger except fans telling friends about them.

i will deffinately come out and see them and get the music. you gotta support bands like eisley.

more stickers, preferably made for car windows, because the combinations ones tore up within a month due to rain and stuff. both online and at shows, because not everyone can go to shows. sometimes they want to, but something is already planned or they dont have enough money. and they're not always on tour.

stuff like the new years videos...those were great!

[flickr] http://www.flickr.com/photos/artache
[last.fm] http://www.last.fm/user/owlslikeus/
[livejournal] http://anarr.livejournal.com
[myspace] http://www.myspace.com/kkthnxby
TheAntrider wrote:
I'm inspired to quit doing drugs. So inspired that I will start doing drugs just so I can quit them!

woman4life
Golly, Poster

You know, I had this about survey about 3/4 filled out, and never had the time, thought and gumption to redo it all together at the same time.

But what I most want is to see Eisley again, preferably not on a Monday or Friday so I can get off work, or on a Saturday is even better. Wink I will try to tackle this later if it is still wanted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

grain thrower wrote:
From current appearances, an EP release is not likely before the end of the year. (Ed. Note: Still 9 days left!) So in 2009 would like to see an EP appear in the Feb-April range, or an LP in the July-Sept. window. Preferably both - it's a wish list, remember? Sounds like they have the material, I know they have the ability, becomes a matter of mashing them together along a schedule.

I forgot about the EP mention earlier last year.

What happened?

It would take too long to fill out the original survey.

I just wish they would consider officially releasing various demos in some form or another - especially in regards to songs that never made albums.

rottenxbeauty
Sea Post King

I want to see the band do more college shows. eisley & au revoir simone would be neat
(use font color to code this and simply toss in this color so
I'll have uniform color-analogous response: #c9d577

This is rather selfish, but if Eisley blew up like the Jonas Brothers it would be a very sad day for me

make more music, tour, side projects, continue to inspire!

noo! thats why eisley is so great. I've always loved how accessible Eisley is. I feel like they're more "real" than most other groups and I can relate to them. I'd like Eisley to keep on the track their on.

generally i've been pleased with everything they turn out. no heavy metal though, please.

sometimes i find it overwhelming when bands tour too much because then i feel bad when i cant make it to all of the shows. leave us wanting more!

small club shows! but no more 18+ please. the last two boston shows i went with my parents and just BARELY convinced the door guy to let me in. plus i live 4 hours away from boston so to drive there and then get turned away would really stink

twice? seems like a good number. i'm not picky

didn't go to any acoustic tours because i dont remember there being one in boston or it was a schol night

and

keep eisley indie! boo big commercial touring and packaging

as for me, i'm a 17 year old high school student living in small town on the coast of maine! been an eisley fan/believer since the ripe age of 12. i'm a pretty driven kid, just wrapped up applying to some selective liberal arts colleges on the east coast. hoping to major in art history with a french or lit minor. i like vintage/funky stuff. i'm the only jew in my rural school district, which has always made me kind of guarded. i think i can credit becoming a more confident and independent person to the dupree ladies. they really inspired me at a young age to do my own thing and embrace my love of bollywood films or collecting vintage postcards, etc as opposed to 'playing the part' by stocking up on abercrombie and listening to lots of t-pain. i am very grateful to them

17 (see above). my parents have been to eisley shows and really dig it! dont have any siblings, and i have influenced a few friends but not to the level of pseudo-obsession i possess haha

i hate it when bands get big. i've been a huge MIA fan for years but after this summer i've sort of shyed away. i would hate for eislsey to tour with some big label product band a la jonas brothers. not that that would happen, but you catch my drift. i went to the nfg tour and that was really weird.

facebook!! update this site more with recent videos/photos not just forum/color]

[color=#e3cd7e]14

havent heard much of street teams, but then again i dont live in the areas that they're promoted in

as long as eisley is within 4 hours drive, i'm there!

keep it merch table and online. more tshirts! more bags! hoodies! i love my zip hoodie from the final noise tour.

everything eisley, i'm not picky

kinda vague and late to jump on the bandwagon, but just putting in my twocents

got_dee
Sea Post King

I think the band should open up for other bands. It will allow more new people to discover the band for the first time!

Also, come to Western Canada. Edmonton in particular.