Laughing City
StuartBuck
Sea Post King

So how come this isn't in the "Covers That Are Better Than the Original" thread?

Just kidding! Shocked
I agree with Hannah that this singer is just a little too . . . earnest.

mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

If I could have the audio alone, i'd download it.

I agree with Hannah that she looks as if she's pretending to be sincere about it. She looks as if she's closing her eyes and shiggling her head because she believes she should be doing it, and not because its an outbursting of genuine love of the music. That's more pronounced in her cover of Hallelujah.

Her smile looks genuine though... So she does look as if she's enjoying it.

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
creativeamp68
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:
I just went back and read through the thread so far, and couldn't find any posts saying it wasn't a good cover.

Guess I just misunderstood ya when you said she seemed too "sincere", Saellys. Sounded like you thought she was faking the emotions of the song and that you didn't dig that.

Ah well.

Favorite Eisley Track of the Moment - Marsh King's Daughter
Joined: 22 Oct 2007 | Posts: 27 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

creativeamp68 wrote:
Saellys wrote:
I just went back and read through the thread so far, and couldn't find any posts saying it wasn't a good cover.

Guess I just misunderstood ya when you said she seemed too "sincere", Saellys. Sounded like you thought she was faking the emotions of the song and that you didn't dig that.

Ah well.

You understood what I was saying, but it doesn't mean what you apparently took it to mean. I do think she's faking the emotions of the song, and I don't dig that. I also think she did a fine job on the song. The two are not mutually exclusive. Like Ewan said, if it were just audio I'd download it, but as a video I can't stand to watch it.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery," and anything that spreads the Eisley love is good! Smile
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

I liked it; I really liked it.
And it was done with a sense of fun, just like Trolleywood is supposed to be.

Saellys Stuartbuck, etc;
I not at all getting the sense of what you are picking up on; it didn't strike me as over-serious at all.
StuartBuck
Sea Post King

Not over serious, just what I would call "over emoting." For my taste, anyway.

But hey, if that's what some people are expecting, maybe that explains the occasional comment during the last tour that Stacy/Sherri weren't "into" the music enough. I guess they weren't making enough faces. Rolling Eyes

nevernever
Laughing Citizen

i actually think it's rather ironic that people are commenting on her "over-emoting", when -- in my opinion -- Sherri does that every time she sings live.

I don't know, I guess I kind of like it. Kina seems like she's having a lot of fun in the video, and I find it super endearing and expressive when Sherri does it live.
Joined: 10 Nov 2005 | Posts: 1692 | Location: orange county, ca
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The5thavocado
Vintage Newbie

i reallly like that girls "disturbia" cover.

I still love Eisley a gamahucheing million time better than farting
Joined: 28 Feb 2005 | Posts: 2060 | Location: Dallas, Texas
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

nevernever wrote:
i actually think it's rather ironic that people are commenting on her "over-emoting", when -- in my opinion -- Sherri does that every time she sings live.

I don't know, I guess I kind of like it. Kina seems like she's having a lot of fun in the video, and I find it super endearing and expressive when Sherri does it live.

I can't quantify this at all, but when Sherri does the emoting thing, it seems genuine and when Kina does it, it doesn't. I think this is because I've seen Sherri live at shows where she didn't do it. Same goes for Stacy; sometimes she does a lot of head-moving and expressive intensity while she sings and sometimes she doesn't.

I think that knowing that the über-sincerity is not something they do all the time makes all the difference. With Kina all I have to go on are her videos, which are full of over-emoting and thus I can only assume she does it all the time, even when she's not really feeling it.

Performers have to walk a fine line between over-emoting and under-emoting. Lean too far one way and you're Kina Grannis or Bono. Fall the other way and you're Laura Marling, eyes closed and off in your own little world the whole time. At least when Laura ignores her audience I know she's being genuine. Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
sukieinthe_g
Golly, Poster

Um, did I just see this girl on American Idol?
guitargirl
Laughing Citizen

sukieinthe_g wrote:

Kina doesn't need to go on American Idol because she has a record deal.

She's awesome; I've been watching her videos ever since this thread started. Smile

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
sukieinthe_g
Golly, Poster

guitargirl wrote:
sukieinthe_g wrote:

She's awesome; I've been watching her videos ever since this thread started. Smile

I guess you're right. It was weird because I thought I saw a shot of her saying "this is my dream" or something at the beginning during the montage of lots of people saying things like "this is my dream".

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

sukieinthe_g wrote:
guitargirl wrote:
sukieinthe_g wrote:

I guess you're right. It was weird because I thought I saw a shot of her saying "this is my dream" or something at the beginning during the montage of lots of people saying things like "this is my dream".

People need to get some real dreams. Being on American Idol is my nightmare.

Smokemonster
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

I wouldn't mind being on American Idol as long as I didn't win. That is, unless the losers are forced into exclusive record deals now too.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>