The Stranger by Albert Camus
33%
 33%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 24

Miss Pine
Golly, Poster

kathymunster wrote:
anotherrandomtuesday wrote:
I chose The Stranger so that I could read the original French version as well.

ooh, you know French?

Look at the quotations she has under her posts!
kathymunster
Golly, Poster

Miss Pine wrote:
kathymunster wrote:

ooh, you know French?

having french in your signature doesn't necessarily mean anything. i'masking if she's fluent. I could very well have french in my signature since I know a little and would be able to understand most of it, or the gist of most of it. but I don't know enough french to read an entire french novel.

-Mae West
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

kathymunster wrote:
Miss Pine wrote:
kathymunster wrote:

ooh, you know French?

having french in your signature doesn't necessarily mean anything. i'masking if she's fluent. I could very well have french in my signature since I know a little and would be able to understand most of it, or the gist of most of it. but I don't know enough french to read an entire french novel.

I am this close ( ) to being fluent. Reading and watching movies (no subtitles of course) and listening to music, news stories, etc., are the best ways to get even closer.
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

good choice, Camus is awesome.
kathymunster
Golly, Poster

kathymunster wrote:
Miss Pine wrote:
kathymunster wrote:

ooh, you know French?

I am this close ( ) to being fluent. Reading and watching movies (no subtitles of course) and listening to music, news stories, etc., are the best ways to get even closer.

well that's cool, someday i'd like to be fluent, or at least able to get by with French... but i doubt that will happen in the next 5 years.

-Mae West
Miss Pine
Golly, Poster

kathymunster wrote:
Miss Pine wrote:
kathymunster wrote:

ooh, you know French?

This is totally true! Point taken.
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

It's good so far. First discussion tomorrow.
guitargirl
Laughing Citizen

kathymunster wrote:
kathymunster wrote:
Miss Pine wrote:
kathymunster wrote:

ooh, you know French?

well that's cool, someday i'd like to be fluent, or at least able to get by with French... but i doubt that will happen in the next 5 years.

When you have two or more classes where you have to speak French, and you have to sound somewhat intelligent, you get pushed to that level pretty quickly or you go insane. Smile So I would suggest a minor when you go to college (sorry if I missed that you're already in college...) if you don't want to do a major (which is what I'm doing.)

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
nevernever
Laughing Citizen

freakinalex wrote:
Jane Eyre is quite possibly the worst book I have ever read.

Just sayin'.
says the guy who watches Cardcaptor Sakura.

just sayin'.

Jane Eyre
is wonderful, in my opinion.
Joined: 10 Nov 2005 | Posts: 1692 | Location: orange county, ca
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

nevernever wrote:
freakinalex wrote:

Just sayin'.

just sayin'.

Jane Eyre

Cold Blooded! Laughing

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

nevernever wrote:
freakinalex wrote:

Just sayin'.

just sayin'.

Jane Eyre

Topic over. Can we get a lock here?

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
kathymunster
Golly, Poster

guitargirl wrote:
kathymunster wrote:
kathymunster wrote:
Miss Pine wrote:
kathymunster wrote:

ooh, you know French?

When you have two or more classes where you have to speak French, and you have to sound somewhat intelligent, you get pushed to that level pretty quickly or you go insane. Smile So I would suggest a minor when you go to college (sorry if I missed that you're already in college...) if you don't want to do a major (which is what I'm doing.)

haha, no i'm still in high school. which is why my french is subpar. i dunno if i'd be willing to risk having french as my minor. i could be forced to learn it better as you suggest.. or i could just fail. haha. but i know definitely i want to pursue, just for my own fun since i do like the language and love the culture. but i just dont have time to go any more in depth then what i do currently in french class |:

-Mae West
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

kathymunster wrote:
haha, no i'm still in high school. which is why my french is subpar. i dunno if i'd be willing to risk having french as my minor. i could be forced to learn it better as you suggest.. or i could just fail. haha. but i know definitely i want to pursue, just for my own fun since i do like the language and love the culture. but i just dont have time to go any more in depth then what i do currently in french class |:

I'm a senior in highschool and I finished the last French classes last year. (Which only goes up to French VII. French VI is AP, about a third year college level, and VII is a French history class taught all in French.) And then I've just done everything I can to continue my education from there on my own. Just work up to your potential. You may say you don't have time, but chances are you probably do.

Focus on thinking in French as much as possible, even when you're not in French class.
Next time you watch a movie, in English or in French, watch it with French subtitles.
If you ever look at news articles, spend a little time on some French news sites, even just Yahoo.fr and go to Actualités; even if it's just for one or two articles, it can be very beneficial.
Just some things to consider. Smile
kathymunster
Golly, Poster

kathymunster wrote:

I'm a senior in highschool and I finished the last French classes last year. (Which only goes up to French VII. French VI is AP, about a third year college level, and VII is a French history class taught all in French.) And then I've just done everything I can to continue my education from there on my own. Just work up to your potential. You may say you don't have time, but chances are you probably do.

Focus on thinking in French as much as possible, even when you're not in French class.
Next time you watch a movie, in English or in French, watch it with French subtitles.
If you ever look at news articles, spend a little time on some French news sites, even just Yahoo.fr and go to Actualités; even if it's just for one or two articles, it can be very beneficial.

haha thanks, but im pretty serious about my lack of time. im in this stupid 'rigorous' program for school which basically is sucking the life out of me. but i think i could probably devote half an hour to an hour a day to spending more time studying french, it really is a lovely language. and i think its worth the time to learn things like other languages.

-Mae West
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

kathymunster wrote:
kathymunster wrote:

haha thanks, but im pretty serious about my lack of time. im in this stupid 'rigorous' program for school which basically is sucking the life out of me. but i think i could probably devote half an hour to an hour a day to spending more time studying french, it really is a lovely language. and i think its worth the time to learn things like other languages.

If you have time to eat food or get on the internet, you have time to turn on a French radio station or read something. Wink